Look at this stupid game of Magic

If you can't be a wizard, might as well be a wizard supporter

Description
Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Re: Look at this stupid game of Magic

Post by Khaos » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:16 pm

that bone crusher giant thing seemed obvious to me but i probably would have just turned my dudes sideways and lost. or won anyway. i dunno, is a 5/5 ooze that big of a deal? i chalk that up to me not playing constructed :morph:

KingRamz
We are not amused.
Cardboard Robot

Post by KingRamz » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:01 pm

Khaos wrote:that bone crusher giant thing seemed obvious to me but i probably would have just turned my dudes sideways and lost. or won anyway. i dunno, is a 5/5 ooze that big of a deal? i chalk that up to me not playing constructed :morph:
To bring it home to a limited perspective, remember he is red/green so he's going to have trouble dealing with a guy that big on the opposing side of the board.

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:52 pm

KingRamz wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:01 pm
Khaos wrote:that bone crusher giant thing seemed obvious to me but i probably would have just turned my dudes sideways and lost. or won anyway. i dunno, is a 5/5 ooze that big of a deal? i chalk that up to me not playing constructed :morph:
To bring it home to a limited perspective, remember he is red/green so he's going to have trouble dealing with a guy that big on the opposing side of the board.
i mean, maybe?

you swing with everything, they trade with QB, and take 5, then gain back 3 and make a 5/5 over that turn and the next turn. they have a 5/5 but are at 9 (and your pc is slightly larger)

then they're dead on board the next turn anyway (if they gust then you embercleave and win)

this seems like it's probably worse but you win anyway

Juri
We're Knights of the Round Table
We attack each turn if able
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:30 am

the_zoomies wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:08 pm holy shit, PV is good at Magic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxH1Pz8fXOk
thats cool

the_zoomies
Attaboy! You finished my labyrinth and I'm proud of you!
Let's party like it's 1899

Post by the_zoomies » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:24 pm

Khaos wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:16 pm that bone crusher giant thing seemed obvious to me but i probably would have just turned my dudes sideways and lost. or won anyway. i dunno, is a 5/5 ooze that big of a deal? i chalk that up to me not playing constructed :morph:
From a "you make the play" perspective, if someone cold presents me that scenario (pass with G G/U up, do not grow the ooze), I can tell you the bone crusher line. Like of the hundreds of such interactions in a 5 round tourney, I'm not able to pull out the 4-5 scenarios like that.

LSV says that "understanding your opponent's perspective is such a big part of the game", and I nod smugly, but like, I'm not remotely there. Given a moment where I'm supposed to find the "signal" I can do it, what I can't do is parse out the noise.

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:39 pm

I think playing EDH has ruined me a little bit. First of all, your opponent can always have basically anything, and they can even do a lot of stuff while tapped out. Second, in EDH if your opponent declines to pump their ooze, 9 times out of 10 the reason is "they forgot because there were a million other things going on."

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:55 pm

limited is great for this, because once you get good at figuring out what commons they could have, you move onto uncommons

the_zoomies
Attaboy! You finished my labyrinth and I'm proud of you!
Let's party like it's 1899

Post by the_zoomies » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:54 pm

pterrus wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:39 pm I think playing EDH has ruined me a little bit. First of all, your opponent can always have basically anything, and they can even do a lot of stuff while tapped out. Second, in EDH if your opponent declines to pump their ooze, 9 times out of 10 the reason is "they forgot because there were a million other things going on."
Well yes, PV neglected to include "The pizza rolls arrived" in their solution space

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:59 pm

Khaos wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:55 pm limited is great for this, because once you get good at figuring out what commons they could have, you move onto uncommons
if the boardwipes are like 6 mana you even get to play around some rares

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:59 pm

im mostly thinking of Gatecrash limited where it was really obvious when someone had Merciless Eviction

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:08 pm

its definitely way easier to do this now that every draft format is XXX or whatever. kind of a shame

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:12 pm

i wonder if snow lands will be first pickable like they were in coldsnap