Cthulhu War Delta Signup Thread

To play and or discuss games and games

Moderator: Doug

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Cthulhu War Delta Signup Thread

Post by Doug » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:41 pm

This is the signup thread for Cthulhu War Delta.

The plan is that this game will consist of the following!
(N is the number of players)

- The terrifying and feature-filled Yuggoth map
- High Priests
- N neutral monsters and/or terrors and/or markers, randomly chosen from among all available
- N-1 neutral GOOs, randomly chosen from among all available except Gobogeg
- N investigators

The above is subject to modification according to player preference, of course

As always when signing up please indicate which faction or factions you prefer
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

drk
Birds are wild
Posting Automaton

Re: Cthulhu War Delta Signup Thread

Post by drk » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:54 pm

/in

The problem with my consistent pick of random as side means Im never going to get certain sides. So, I'd like to choose Daemon Sultan this map!

I haven't read/don't remember what's on Yuggoth! Prereleases are fun for everyone.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:05 pm

Yuggoth
Spoiler!

This is Yuggoth. This is the endgame for our great old ones. This is the monster.

This map has a lot of features. Terrible things happen here.

First, you may notice a building at the top, in the space called "Laboratory." Whoever controls a gate in the Laboratory can perform Surgery. If Yog is in the Laboratory space, then Opener can perform Surgery as well as whoever controls any traditional gate there. Surgery is a special action that costs 1. When you perform Surgery, you take up to four of your acolytes on the map (or submerged or cursed slumbering), and replace them with brain cylinders.

Brain cylinders are a new type of cultist. Each player has four (the Yuggoth box comes with four brain cylinders for each faction), and they can only come into play via Surgery. Brain cylinders can build and control gates, and give you 1 power during gather power. They cannot perform the Move action, including via Flight, Burrowing, and so on. However, any other of your units that performs the Move action can carry any number of brain cylinders for free. Also, actions that can move any type of unit but that aren't called "Move," such as Submerge/Emerge or Avatar, can move your brain cylinders. Since brain cylinders are cultists, they are affected by things that affect cultists, such as Frenzy, but not by things that specify acolytes, such as Ghatanothoa's Mummify.

Brain cylinders cannot be assigned pains in battle, and cannot be made to retreat by Howl or Dread Curse of Azathoth. They do not prevent retreat into spaces, and so cannot contribute toward eliminating a unit by surrounding it. They can of course be captured. When a player captures a brain cylinder, the player has a choice -- put the brain cylinder on his or her sheet as normal, or instead replace the brain cylinder with one of his or her own brain cylinders from off the map. In other words, if you can capture an enemy brain cylinder, you have the option of immediately turning it into your own instead of getting power from it.

The acolytes that you removed from the map for Surgery are back in your pool, and can be re-recruited. Therefore by using surgery, you could have 10 cultists in play.

Second, there are Slime Seas and a Slime Sea Overlook. Yuggoth has six slime monsters, waiting to be controlled. Whoever controls a gate on the Slime Sea Overlook controls all slime monsters. If Yog is on the Slime Sea Overlook, Opener controls all slime monsters, but only if no one controls a traditional gate on the Slime Sea Overlook -- a traditional gate there takes precedence over Yog. The player who controls the slimes may Call them onto the map. This is a new action -- it costs 0 if there are no slime monsters on the map, but costs 1 if there are any slime monsters on the map. A slime monster appears in whichever Slime Sea the controller prefers.

Slime monsters roll 2 dice in combat. Slime monsters hate and fear the Slime Sea Overlook -- they cannot Move there, including via Arctic Wind, Burrowing, etc. But they could be pained there, or could be put there by an action that isn't called "Move," such as Submerge/Emerge or Avatar.

If the gate at the Slime Sea Overlook becomes uncontrolled, then no one controls the slime monsters. They can be attacked in this situation -- some other player rolls their dice for them, and the attacker determines their retreat direction. If a different player takes over the gate at the Slime Sea Overlook, then that player immediately takes control of all slime monsters.

Black Goat has a special relationship with the slime monsters. Black Goat can Call multiple slime monsters in one go, by paying for each. Black Goat also may combine Call with Summon, summoning multiple monsters at gates and calling multiple slime monsters into the Slime Seas in one go.

Third, the most formidable, impressive, and deadly feature of Yuggoth is the Green Pyramid. Gates built on the Green Pyramid produce 3 power during each gather power phase instead of 2 power. When uncontrolled they still only produce 1. Yog also produces 3 power instead of 2 while sitting on the Green Pyramid! But the Green Pyramid is very dangerous, because it conceals a terrible foe -- the Watcher.

At the beginning of the game, the Watcher's special marker is put on the 12 on the doom track. The moment any player's doom total moves from (11 or less) to (12 or more) -- in other words, crossing the Watcher's marker -- the Watcher will now awaken at the next end of a doom phase. Also, as long as the Watcher is not awakened, a die is rolled at the end of each doom phase. If the number rolled corresponds to one of the red cube symbols on the map, and there is a gate in that space, this also awakens the Watcher immediately. Yog counts for this! When the Watcher is awakened, it is put on the Watcher Postern space.

At the beginning of the action phase, if the Watcher is on the map, it goes berserk and attacks multiple times. Each player will take turns controlling the Watcher, starting with the first player. On each player's turn to control the Watcher, the player:

1. Moves the Watcher to an adjacent space that has player units. If there is no adjacent space with player units, the controller teleports the Watcher to any space that has player units. The Watcher must move -- it cannot remain where it was.
2. The controller then has the Watcher attack every player in the space, one at a time, in any order the controller desires.

The Watcher rolls dice equal to the position of its marker on the doom track. The Watcher is considered a GOO, and is immune to all player spellbooks and abilities. It cannot be Howled out of the space, Demand Sacrifice has no effect on Watcher dice results, and so on. However, players may benefit from spellbooks and abilities that only help the player e.g. Terror can give proto-shoggoths an extra die against it, and Harbinger will trigger off of a kill. The Watcher is considered to have 0 power, 0 doom, and no spellbooks, which makes it harder for Tsathoggua, Ithaqua, and Nyarlathotep to fight it. Any number of kills may be assigned to the Watcher -- its marker is decreased by 1 on the doom track for each kill (this only triggers Harbinger once!). No pains may ever be assigned to the Watcher, and it cannot be made to move or retreat.

The Watcher attacks over and over until it has attacked each player in the space once. Then, the next player takes a turn controlling the Watcher, moving it and attacking with it again. The Watcher does not destroy or affect gates like the Bhole, even though gates are what agitate it.

If the Watcher's marker drops to 0, the Watcher is immediately removed from the map. Its marker is returned to the 12 on the doom track, and it can appear again if any player's doom total moves from (11 or less) to (12 or more), or of course by gates being built on the Green Pyramid. If the Watcher survives after rampaging, it sits in the space, and can be attacked by players. It will go berserk again if it survives into the next action round.

Also, at the beginning of the doom phase, if the Watcher is still on the map (because it survived its last rampage), its marker decreases 1-6 spaces randomly, and this of course will remove the Watcher if the marker reaches 0. The Watcher cannot awaken during this same doom phase where it decayed to death -- if it would, it waits until the next doom phase instead.

Once all players have 12+ doom, the Watcher will only be awakened by a gate on the Green Pyramid and the die roll.

What a terrible place!

One last rule -- Although normally, Opener may begin a game in any unused space, this map is special. Opener may never select the Laboratory, the Slime Sea Overlook, or any Green Pyramid space as a starting space. (Neither may Ancients, although that was already true, because Ancients already can't choose spaces with special symbols other than Yellow Sign symbols.)

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:09 pm

who decides retreats if slimes are uncontrolled?

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:11 pm

Rylinks wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:09 pm who decides retreats if slimes are uncontrolled?
The attacker gets to

drk
Birds are wild
Posting Automaton

Post by drk » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:35 pm

He's doing a little more than watching, is I guess my biggest observation.

Marit Lage
Adding Machine
Adding Machine

Post by Marit Lage » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:26 pm

In as Goat

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:18 am

in as whatever doug thinks is the best faction against sultan and goat
with love, your good friend, seathesee

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:27 am

Should I tell you now, or surprise you

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:31 am

i dont want to know my faction until i can see my great old ones genitals as it emerges from the remains of a hundred virgin blood sacrifice.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:32 am

Makes sense

drk
Birds are wild
Posting Automaton

Post by drk » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:02 am

seathesee wrote:i dont want to know my faction until i can see my great old ones genitals as it emerges from the remains of a hundred virgin blood sacrifice.
Wow, that's a lot of virgins. I feel like gathering that many virgins in one place makes a bunch of them expire after a bit.

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:49 pm

an excellent point. i will probably be summoning a less discriminating elder god.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:52 pm

I see you, Rylinks

Juri
We're Knights of the Round Table
We attack each turn if able
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:54 pm

hey i know that guy

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:58 pm

Good chance of a fourth here, is why I'm chilling

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:22 pm

I would think about playing, but I am currently in too many 'daily games' (thanks doug for this terminology) and don't want to strain my bandwidth

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:27 pm

I think if I was able to play a game my ideal setup would be earth with exactly one overlay mechanic, probably Investigators, Unique HPs or neutral GOOs. Probs a HPs-off game unless UHPs are the overlay because I'm curious about how that plays. Just sample one mechanic and feel it out.

I like the setup this game's using well enough though. Yuggoth map looks cool and i was interested in it when it first got posted about

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:09 am

I don't think there will be a fourth after all. I think we'll start tomorrow

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:30 am

good luck cthulhu warriors!

Lordling
Adding Machine
Adding Machine

Post by Lordling » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:05 pm

Is it too late to join? I'd like to play as Opener
"I have no fear, for fear is the little death that kills me over and over. Without fear, I die but once."

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:27 pm

Aha, no, it is not too late

That's four players now

I'm going to start this this afternoon, if there are no objections!

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:30 pm

thats who i would have played too :hfive:

drk
Birds are wild
Posting Automaton

Post by drk » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:37 pm

Juri wrote:thats who i would have played too :hfive:
I was sorely tempted after I read the map. Also the faction is just fun as shit, so