This is the thread for not playing a PnP RPG

all the other threads are also about not playing a PnP RPG, but this one is more specific

To play and or discuss games and games

Moderator: Doug

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Re: This is the thread for not playing a PnP RPG

Post by Ashenai » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:32 pm

Rylinks wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:19 pm
Ashenai wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:57 pm I find polearms are very underused in general, everyone is all about the swords. I would have liked to see more weapon variety.
i didn't play melee classes very much in 3.5, but i vaguely remember people carrying around backup polearms in case there was a scenario where a sword wasn't very effective
Sure, but they never used it except to open chests

catonkeyboard
Attaboy! You finished my labyrinth and I'm proud of you!
Let's party like it's 1899

Post by catonkeyboard » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:33 pm

Trigger Warning GG post

I compared a story I didn't read (zendikar) to something I've never done (D&D campaign) and decided that I like them both. What I'm saying is, I have no problem enjoying not playing this not game with y'all.
Spoiler!
Bracketbot wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:31 am lol why are they going back to zendikar? do people like zendikar?
This is highly results oriented, because I only interacted with the story through fits and starts but the overall flow of:

"Land of adventure with warring sci-fi serial esque factions searching for valuable artifacts of their forgotten gods"
"Now Three factions are in a race to resurrect their respective ancient benevolent gods"
"Their benevolent gods were actually apocalyptically destructive, whoops! We sorta forgot about that over time."

To be highly evocative. It definitely has the feel of that one College D&D campaign you talk about decades later.

Was that story handled well? Is what I remember even the story? Who knows, but I'll hold my memories of Zendikar up as a pretty solid 3 part arc for fiction.
27/50 states of cats on keyboards
|X,,,,X,,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,,,,X,,X,X,X,X,X,,,,X,,X,,X,,,X,,X,X,X,,X,,X,X,,,,,X,|

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:33 pm

Khaos wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:32 pm
Ashenai wrote:PnP = Pen and Paper. It refers to physical tabletop roleplaying, the actual table being optional, but the point is everyone sits around the same room and nerds out together with dice, pen and paper
this sounds more and more like we're not planning on getting wasted and blowing each other
now don't go putting words in my mouth. words are not what you should be putting in my mouth.

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:33 pm

Ashenai wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:30 pm PnP = Pen and Paper. It refers to physical tabletop roleplaying, the actual table being optional, but the point is everyone sits around the same room and nerds out together with dice, pen and paper
of course if you play through roll20, store all information in digital form, and do all your direct interaction via video conference? still counts as pen & paper

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:34 pm

Ashenai wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:32 pm
Rylinks wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:19 pm
Ashenai wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:57 pm I find polearms are very underused in general, everyone is all about the swords. I would have liked to see more weapon variety.
i didn't play melee classes very much in 3.5, but i vaguely remember people carrying around backup polearms in case there was a scenario where a sword wasn't very effective
Sure, but they never used it except to open chests
sounds like the GM should have had more cases where a sword wasn't very effective :smug:

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:38 pm

catonkeyboard wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:33 pm Trigger Warning GG post

I compared a story I didn't read (zendikar) to something I've never done (D&D campaign) and decided that I like them both. What I'm saying is, I have no problem enjoying not playing this not game with y'all.
Spoiler!
Bracketbot wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:31 am lol why are they going back to zendikar? do people like zendikar?
This is highly results oriented, because I only interacted with the story through fits and starts but the overall flow of:

"Land of adventure with warring sci-fi serial esque factions searching for valuable artifacts of their forgotten gods"
"Now Three factions are in a race to resurrect their respective ancient benevolent gods"
"Their benevolent gods were actually apocalyptically destructive, whoops! We sorta forgot about that over time."

To be highly evocative. It definitely has the feel of that one College D&D campaign you talk about decades later.

Was that story handled well? Is what I remember even the story? Who knows, but I'll hold my memories of Zendikar up as a pretty solid 3 part arc for fiction.
So, mostly accurate, except the stuff you remember from your favorite D&D campaign is never the actual plot. Because the games where the plot takes center stage are never the best games!

The best games are where the players decide to do something offbeat, and the GM throws away his notes and goes along with it, and it WORKS.
(The worst games are where the players decide to do something offbeat, and the GM throws away his notes and goes along with it, and it doesn't work. This is the curse of RPGs.)

catonkeyboard
Attaboy! You finished my labyrinth and I'm proud of you!
Let's party like it's 1899

Post by catonkeyboard » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:41 pm

Ashenai wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:33 pm
Khaos wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:32 pm
Ashenai wrote:PnP = Pen and Paper. It refers to physical tabletop roleplaying, the actual table being optional, but the point is everyone sits around the same room and nerds out together with dice, pen and paper
this sounds more and more like we're not planning on getting wasted and blowing each other
now don't go putting words in my mouth. Pills hidden inside peanut butter are what you should be putting in my mouth.
27/50 states of cats on keyboards
|X,,,,X,,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,,,,X,,X,X,X,X,X,,,,X,,X,,X,,,X,,X,X,X,,X,,X,X,,,,,X,|

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:46 pm

Like, from the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil campaign I was talking about, my players' favorite session was when they tried to teleport back from the dungeon to the tavern to rest and recuperate, but the wizard randomly botched the roll and got a misteleport. So I decided they teleported back to a tavern, but the wrong one, in a different town. And I also decided on a whim that this other tavern was, at the time, the scene for a tense negotiation between two warring guilds who were trying to work out a ceasefire. When the heavily-armed and confused-looking PCs appeared in the midst of the closed negotiations.

Things quickly got hilarious, then violent, then hilarious again, and many hijinks happened, none of which I had planned for, and none of which had anything to do with the Temple of Elemental Evil, but all of which were great fun.

Juri
We're Knights of the Round Table
We attack each turn if able
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:54 pm

Jeb Bush 2012 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:20 pm remembering when locus had a thread titled "Superior implements, more like white supremacist implements, grand wizards of the KKKoast"
may his shell never burn

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:31 pm

catonkeyboard wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:41 pm
Ashenai wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:33 pm now don't go putting words in my mouth. Pills hidden inside peanut butter are what you should be putting in my mouth.
i miss that avatar
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:32 pm

Jeb Bush 2012 wrote:
Crunchums wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:28 pm print 'n play (I think?)
idk if y'all are doing a bit but it's "pen & paper"
i was not :sadcool:
u gotta skate

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:33 pm

Crunchums wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:31 pm
catonkeyboard wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:41 pm
Ashenai wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:33 pm now don't go putting words in my mouth. Pills hidden inside peanut butter are what you should be putting in my mouth.
i miss that avatar
I'll probably go back to it, I just kinda grew fond of freaky angry scientist man for a bit

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:46 pm

I've been browsing some of my ancient D&D books for nostalgia's sake, and I can't believe how much of the fond memories I have are just Larry Elmore's art. The dude is a genius. I don't know what it is about his art, but it's so clean and expressive and instantly puts one in the mood for adventure.

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:14 pm

I remember that picture
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:36 pm

killer hat, lady

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:47 am

Monty
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Monty » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:49 am

That double-necked lute is pretty sweet.
The world needs more Bohemian Ear-Spoons

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:18 am

elves are awesome though

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:27 am

Ashenai wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:18 am elves are awesome though
so says everyone until the campaign starts

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:17 am

A friend of mine participates in some Spelljammer that they regularly stream on Twitch; https://www.twitch.tv/20s_for_days

Subject: crippled masters

Bring on the kung-fu amputees - no arms vs. no legs anyone? A bit of high-speed underground ninja-tunneling is always good as well. I wanna see some shit like that. Crazy monks with gnarly special powers can make any film good. FACT.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:41 am

Spelljammer is some real goofy fun and needs to be ported to a new system

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:14 pm

Right around when Spelljammer was first released, they released a published adventure for it called Wildspace

That's one of the best published adventures of all time regardless of setting

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:38 pm

Doug wrote:Right around when Spelljammer was first released, they released a published adventure for it called Wildspace

That's one of the best published adventures of all time regardless of setting
I have to look it up, I plan on eventually getting my guys on the Spelljammer wagon

Bring on the kung-fu amputees - no arms vs. no legs anyone? A bit of high-speed underground ninja-tunneling is always good as well. I wanna see some shit like that. Crazy monks with gnarly special powers can make any film good. FACT.

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:39 pm

It's still available! Maybe. Is this the one - https://www.amazon.com/Wildspace-Advanc ... 0880388196

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:32 pm

That is the one

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:34 pm

Oh also one of the funny things about Spelljammer was, they gave you the rules, but they kinda didn't give you a setting. At least, not right away. They released adventures, and then they did Greyspace/Realmspace/Krynnspace, but those were kinda random

Eventually though they released Astromundi Cluster, which really is a setting, and a solar system of adventure

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:01 pm

Doug wrote:That is the one
Cool, totally ordering a copy to secret away until the day we take the game to SPACE

Fry Guy
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Fry Guy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:25 am

We're doing Eva again. I'm running. It gives me something to distract myself with while taking care of dad, so I don't mind.
We're playing on discard over voice but thankfully the last version of the game mostly abstracts combat so it hasn't been a problem.

It's a shorter game, 6 angels total. I was hoping to make each one a sort of puzzle fight but thus far that hasn't worked out so much. The first one had a trick that would have made it easier but they never really noticed, but it's the first fight so whatever.
The second fight was brutal. Very nearly wiped the group, but they never noticed what was causing the angel to (not) attack them. It was a kind of living clockwork deal and they needed to move a tiny bit every turn or it would trigger free attacks on them. Oh well.
Third fight was my fault for not making it clear what was going on but the thing was basically indestructible unless it got a lot of electricity sent its way. I made it able to fuck with electronic things by overloading the evas and dealing damage based on how much power they had in their batteries, etc, so they assumed it would get powered up from what I knew was it's weakness. I finally had a lightning strike that temporarily powered the thing down but they didn't understand why they were doing so much better that round so fuck. They lost. The game has a built in thing where when the players are obviously losing or have lost, they can work out a deal with the GM to have an Eva go Berserk with serious consequences but not an end to the campaign, so we had the first Berserk then.

My plan for the 4th fight is an an angel that shows images or reflections of other things on it's surface. When they attack angel, they will end up hitting whatever is being reflected by that part of the angel. I'm hoping it doesn't take them long to figure out that they can attack the thing that's being reflected to damage it instead. Thing could get real messy real quick if they don't understand that soon enough, though.

I'm still trying to figure out puzzles for the 5th and 6th angels, though. I think the 6th, since it will be the last one isn't going to be a MUST SOLVE puzzle, but something to give them an decent advantage if they can figure it out. It's going to be hard as fuck regardless but something to give them an edge, you know? It's basically going to be the Zeruel fight, obscenely strong and relentless.

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:13 am

Fry Guy wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:25 amI finally had a lightning strike that temporarily powered the thing down but they didn't understand why they were doing so much better that round so fuck.
:skink:

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:13 am

your puzzle fights sound cool even if they appear to have sailed over peoples heads thus far