It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Grakthis
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Re: Board Games

Post by Grakthis » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:49 pm

Doug wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:47 pm She can play Azul? That's wonderful. There are three Azuls now by the way

Soon she'll be ready for Alhambra
She understands the rules pretty well. Scoring is tricky, we have to help her. She forgets to give herself the extra points for connecting tiles.

She's definitely not to the point where she understands the RIGHT play, but she can correctly do the mechanics of the game and understand what she is and is not allowed to do at any given moment.

We're still feeling out the "right" strategies in that game, so we're still in the early phases. but we're enjoying it a lot.
:grakiswrong:

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:51 pm

Grakthis wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:49 pm
Doug wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:47 pm She can play Azul? That's wonderful. There are three Azuls now by the way

She understands the rules pretty well. Scoring is tricky, we have to help her. She forgets to give herself the extra points for connecting tiles.

She's definitely not to the point where she understands the RIGHT play, but she can correctly do the mechanics of the game and understand what she is and is not allowed to do at any given moment.

We're still feeling out the "right" strategies in that game, so we're still in the early phases. but we're enjoying it a lot.
Big Hint: The scarce tiles should be treated more valuably, but the scarce color isn't the color that seems to be absent from the table. It's the color that's absent from the bag

If the first draw of the game has a million yellows and no reds, red isn't the scarce color. Yellow is
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars

Grakthis
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Grakthis » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:57 pm

Doug wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:51 pm

Big Hint: The scarce tiles should be treated more valuably, but the scarce color isn't the color that seems to be absent from the table. It's the color that's absent from the bag

If the first draw of the game has a million yellows and no reds, red isn't the scarce color. Yellow is
See, I would think of that as "plentiful colors are more valuable and you should take them." So I'd still take the yellows, but because I can fill up a bigger row with them.
:grakiswrong:

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:58 pm

im not sure that's actually the case; you can just build a line that takes one or two yellows

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:59 pm

Grakthis wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:57 pm
Doug wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:51 pm

See, I would think of that as "plentiful colors are more valuable and you should take them." So I'd still take the yellows, but because I can fill up a bigger row with them.
That's legit, but the thing I was driving at is that you aren't going to see very many more yellows from the bag from now on

alright
...but history refused to change

Post by alright » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:07 am

Grakthis wrote:But she never pulls out crap like MLP Edition Shoots and Ladders, etc etc.
lame

alright

Post by alright » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:09 am

i've always wanted to recommend hanabi. it's fun to play. it's a cooperative game. nobody really wins at it. it's more just, how high can we get our score this time, which is great. and you just kind of get incrementally better at it, which is also great. and then you know there's the whole teamwork cooperative family coming together thing

but then, on another hand, it feels like the kind of game that could tear families apart

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:40 pm

i learned that the scenario level in gloomhaven is equal to the party level divided by two, not the party level

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:43 pm

Rylinks wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:40 pm i learned that the scenario level in gloomhaven is equal to the party level divided by two, not the party level
If reddit is any indication, this is extremely common. I knew the actual rule and still fucked up the math a couple of times.

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:44 pm

i read the rule but somehow my brain read average, and then when it saw the /2 at the end thought 'okay so that's part of calculating the average, yup'

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:49 pm

Rylinks wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:44 pm i read the rule but somehow my brain read average, and then when it saw the /2 at the end thought 'okay so that's part of calculating the average, yup'
Yeah I played Into the Unknown with my wife (2 players) and I was like, "Okay, sum our levels, then don't forget to divide by two like those noobs on reddit. Okay, done, level 5. I see nothing wrong with this."

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:45 pm

I bought Wingspan and I read the rules. It seems like it's going to be really good

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:21 pm

"Ireland’s Ireland and Scotland’s Scotland anyone who thinks different is a cunt" - Liam Gallagher

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:27 pm

i bought seasons because people here mentioned enjoying it and i too enjoy it

i have yet to play a game with the advanced set of cards though

Skeletor
How'd you know that loving kittens is my one defining trait?
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:58 pm

Half Truth is a fun trivia game by Richard Garfield and Ken Jennings. It is a simple party game, the cool thing about it is the format feels like it gives a trivia master opportunities to push their edge but in reality puts a big cap on how much of an edge they can get. The trivia questions are also not quite in the domain of typical trivia, but I don't have a good handle on how to articulate this claim

Each question you roll a die that has an effect on how the question will be scored, then pull a question card from the box. The card has a question and six answers, three of which are right. Players simultaneously make up to 3 guesses. If all your guesses are correct, you get points -- more for more guesses. The die primarily effects how many points you get for answers beyond the first, but the key thing is they have diminishing returns, you get more points for the first right answer than for the second and third, and in attempting to score the second and third you are risking getting no points at all

Let's say you know nothing about trivia, just no clue, and you're playing against Ken Jennings and IBM's Watson. Your strategy is to win as a tortoise racing against two hares. Make a single guess each turn to give yourself a 50/50 shot at the base points while the hares press their luck trying to surpass each other. You won't have an edge against the hares, but you do stand a chance

My favorite cards are some double-themed cards, where the false answers have a theme to them as well. The first game I played, we flipped a card: Locations from Harry Potter. I shrugged, guess I'm guessing on this one. An opponent across the table smirked smugly, said he doesn't know any Harry Potter, but he's gonna get them all right, because three of them are Lord of the Rings. Oh well, doesn't help me, I'm still guessing. Turns out, he was right that the wrong answers were all Middle Earth (the reverse side of the card -- where the correct answers are revealed -- also labels the false answers as being from Middle Earth). But he still got one of them wrong, no points for him, some points for me on my mildly educated guess
wow, [you]. that all sounds terrible. i hope it gets better for you

Juri
We're Knights of the Round Table
We attack each turn if able
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:30 pm

Skeletor wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:58 pmLet's say you know nothing about trivia, just no clue, and you're playing against Ken Jennings and IBM's Watson.
how does this keep happening to me

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:44 pm

Skeletor wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:58 pm Half Truth is a fun trivia game by Richard Garfield and Ken Jennings. It is a simple party game, the cool thing about it is the format feels like it gives a trivia master opportunities to push their edge but in reality puts a big cap on how much of an edge they can get. The trivia questions are also not quite in the domain of typical trivia, but I don't have a good handle on how to articulate this claim

Each question you roll a die that has an effect on how the question will be scored, then pull a question card from the box. The card has a question and six answers, three of which are right. Players simultaneously make up to 3 guesses. If all your guesses are correct, you get points -- more for more guesses. The die primarily effects how many points you get for answers beyond the first, but the key thing is they have diminishing returns, you get more points for the first right answer than for the second and third, and in attempting to score the second and third you are risking getting no points at all

Let's say you know nothing about trivia, just no clue, and you're playing against Ken Jennings and IBM's Watson. Your strategy is to win as a tortoise racing against two hares. Make a single guess each turn to give yourself a 50/50 shot at the base points while the hares press their luck trying to surpass each other. You won't have an edge against the hares, but you do stand a chance

My favorite cards are some double-themed cards, where the false answers have a theme to them as well. The first game I played, we flipped a card: Locations from Harry Potter. I shrugged, guess I'm guessing on this one. An opponent across the table smirked smugly, said he doesn't know any Harry Potter, but he's gonna get them all right, because three of them are Lord of the Rings. Oh well, doesn't help me, I'm still guessing. Turns out, he was right that the wrong answers were all Middle Earth (the reverse side of the card -- where the correct answers are revealed -- also labels the false answers as being from Middle Earth). But he still got one of them wrong, no points for him, some points for me on my mildly educated guess
Sweet, I also Kickstarted this, which is rare for me but come on man, Ken Jennings and Richard Garfield! It's still in its shrink, and probably will be for quite a while given the circumstances. :(

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Sun May 03, 2020 2:09 am

i just played a game of Dominion online
such a good game
u gotta skate

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Sun May 03, 2020 2:11 am

There's a new expansion, but even though I have it, I haven't played it yet, because I don't go anywhere or do anything lol

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Sun May 03, 2020 2:48 am

Menagerie?

the game that i played involved a "Way", which is a new thing that gives every action card an alternate "mode". i dug into things, and it seems like they added a bunch of new optional mechanics like that, which makes the combinatorial explosion of setups even more absurd. not only from a raw numbers perspective, but also because changing one of those non-kingdom-card mechanics probably always changes the setup dramatically, whereas some kingdoms are essentially the same if you swap out some irrelevant cards for some other irrelevant cards
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Sun May 03, 2020 2:55 am

back when i played a ton, Hinterlands was the last expansion that i played with. since then: Dark Ages, Guilds, Adventures, Empires, Nocturne, Renaissance, Menagerie, and also 2nd editions of the base set and Intrigue (14 new Kingdom cards)
u gotta skate

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Sun May 03, 2020 3:37 am

Yeah, Ways are from Menagerie

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Tue May 19, 2020 6:34 pm

why does smallworld have the rule where you can pick up all your tokens and then teleport across the map

ive played with a few different playgroups and the rule has been uniformly disliked

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue May 19, 2020 6:38 pm

I'm not familiar with that rule

Rylinks