Moderator: Doug

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Re: Board Games

Post by Doug » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:52 pm

Rylinks wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:42 pm okay but can you do this
I don't believe the game has a means of simulating this lol

But you can build a space elevator from Earth to GEO, and you can build another space elevator from the moon to Earth-Moon L1, and fling things from the Earth one to the moon one for free, and you can fling things back although there's no way to avoid a burn in this direction (ironically because you have to slow down)

The GEO space elevator is considered built for free if you anchor an orbital city in GEO btw (lol everything sounds wonderful in this game)
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Fry Guy
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Fry Guy » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:53 pm

Rylinks wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:42 pm okay but can you do this
Wouldn't that increase the odds you run into debris by a million?

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:56 pm

probably by 104

Skeletor
How'd you know that loving kittens is my one defining trait?
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:08 pm

Khaos wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:56 pmprobably by 104
Maybe... mildly higher since it passes through all the meteor showers twice? Probably doesn't really affect things
wow, [you]. that all sounds terrible. i hope it gets better for you

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:21 pm

Wait, if it's chaotic dynamics, how can they predict the number of orbits it would take? Unless I misunderstand the mathematical meaning of "chaotic".

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:29 pm

i think in this context chaotic means something like "highly sensitive to initial conditions and small differences in thrust" rather than "impossible to predict"

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:36 pm

But if it's sensitive to that stuff, how can you even be sure you get there at all, let alone how many orbits it will take?

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:41 pm

they can probably make minor adjustments as it goes, if it starts to go slightly off track

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:42 pm

pterrus wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:36 pm But if it's sensitive to that stuff, how can you even be sure you get there at all, let alone how many orbits it will take?
~math~

https://webspace.clarkson.edu/~ebollt/P ... rrence.pdf

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:04 pm

pterrus wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:21 pm Wait, if it's chaotic dynamics, how can they predict the number of orbits it would take? Unless I misunderstand the mathematical meaning of "chaotic".
a system being chaotic doesn't mean there's nothing you can predict about it. it means the final state of the system can change a lot with small changes in the original input, but there still might be things about the final state that can be reliably predicted

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:10 pm

i can accurately predict the final position of a chaos pendulum from any starting position (it points down)

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:19 pm

Khaos wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:10 pm i can accurately predict the final position of a chaos pendulum from any starting position (it points down)
yeah I guess "final state" was overly specific since chaotic systems can converge to a fixed point

Juri
We're Knights of the Round Table
We attack each turn if able
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:42 am

Doug wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:43 pm High Frontier is the game with this map

lol
good LORD

Juri
We're Knights of the Round Table
We attack each turn if able
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:43 am

seathesee wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:30 pmi simultaneously never want to touch that thing and want to devote my life to learning it.
extremely well said.

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:06 pm

i had a ridiculous opening hand raven wingspan game that i took a picture of.

there were 24 cards under the goose. i ended with 112 points, which would have been 114 if i wasnt a bonehead and had spent an egg off the tuck/egg guy when i played my last bird of the game. it was a pretty unfun game where it was clear i was going to win at the end of the first round.
with love, your good friend, seathesee

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:09 pm

is that the raven that eats 1 egg for 2 food? that one seemed a little op

it seems like there's a lot of variance where, some birds are insane early, and if you don't get them, well

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:21 pm

24 cards under the goose! That must be some kind of cards under the goose record

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:22 pm

seathesee wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:06 pm it was a pretty unfun game where it was clear i was going to win at the end of the first round.
Euros can have this problem, because Euros operate under the principle of incrementalism, and so sometimes you can math out that you can't possibly catch up

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:23 pm

i guess one of those guys copies his power? because you get 8+7+6+5=26 actions total?

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:26 pm

Khaos wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:09 pm is that the raven that eats 1 egg for 2 food? that one seemed a little op

it seems like there's a lot of variance where, some birds are insane early, and if you don't get them, well
yeah. there are actually like 3 of that exact same card named "[adjective] raven."

those cards were the center of our wingspan imbalance discussion we had a week or two ago in the forum games thread. i thought id provide an example since one came up organically last night.

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:27 pm

Khaos wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:23 pm i guess one of those guys copies his power? because you get 8+7+6+5=26 actions total?
no. the main combo was the goose that lets you discard a wheat for tucking two cards from the deck under it.

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:28 pm

Doug wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:22 pm
seathesee wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:06 pm it was a pretty unfun game where it was clear i was going to win at the end of the first round.
Euros can have this problem, because Euros operate under the principle of incrementalism, and so sometimes you can math out that you can't possibly catch up
we didnt do the math, but it was just pretty obvious based on experience/the engine i had set up early. the raven is too strong.

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:30 pm

seathesee wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:27 pm
Khaos wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:23 pm i guess one of those guys copies his power? because you get 8+7+6+5=26 actions total?
no. the main combo was the goose that lets you discard a wheat for tucking two cards from the deck under it.
to elaborate on the brokenness, though, the only two times i used the bird feeder were as my first two moves to get enough resources to play out my three card hand. every other bird was payed for by resources off the raven.

the_zoomies
Attaboy! You finished my labyrinth and I'm proud of you!
Let's party like it's 1899

Post by the_zoomies » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:04 pm

seathesee wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:28 pm
Doug wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:22 pm
we didnt do the math, but it was just pretty obvious based on experience/the engine i had set up early. the raven is too strong.
Quoth the raven "one one fourtwo"

the_zoomies
Attaboy! You finished my labyrinth and I'm proud of you!
Let's party like it's 1899

Post by the_zoomies » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:05 pm

Also, this thread makes me so happy when I see these insane contextless pictures. Like "here's 100 bird cards with jordach almonds on top"

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:13 pm

the_zoomies wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:05 pm "here's 100 bird cards with jordach almonds on top"
:lol: my first thought when i opened the box was "i hope my kids dont try to eat these."

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:51 pm

Bios:Origins is unlike a typical civilization game that sets you into the role of a supreme dictator, whose task is to rule the world by commanding legions of obedient pawns. You are not going to build stadiums if your pawns are bored, or schools if they are ignorant. Instead, you are the pawns, and your goal is to advance your welfare, set your own goals, and suppress any dictator that may arise from your own people.
What a wonderful paragraph :lol:

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:50 pm

I thought you might enjoy reading the first page of rules to Bios: Genesis
One to four players start as organic compounds shortly after Earth’s formation, represented by up to three Biont
tokens. The Amino Acids (Player Red) command Metabolism, the lipids (Player Yellow) create cells, the pigments
(Player Green) control energy absorption and storage, and the nucleic acids (Player Blue) control templated
replication.1 Their goal is a double origin of life: first as Autocatalytic Life (a metabolic cycle reproducing its own
constituents yet not replicating),2 and the second as Darwinian Life (an Organism using a template to replicate
in an RNA world).

Warning, this is a brutal game of survival. The players may decide to cooperate rather than compete, see C3.
A less brutal variant is found in C4.

The Event Phase starts the turn. Each event card encapsulates 200 million years, and the game may last 21 events
(about 18 turns, the first 4 billion years of Earth’s 4.6 billion year history). Each event depicts which Landforms
(cosmic, ocean, coastal shelf, or continent) are active for the turn.

In the Assignment Phase, players attempt to create autocatalytic life by assigning one starting Biont to one
of the Refugia, placards representing suitable hatcheries for life either on Earth or in space. These sites contain
“building block” cubes called Manna, which reside in either disorganized (dead) or organized (metabolically-alive)
populations. You may also assign a Biont to become a Parasite, if there are any Hosts available. To be suitable, a Host
must have Mutations or Organs that you can invade as a Disease. If any of your Organisms has a HGT (horizontal
gene transfer) Mutation, you may move your Bionts from one Microorganism to another. You always have at least one
Biont available to assign to Refugia or to a Parasite, unless all of your Bionts are already employed inside Organisms.

In the Autocatalytic Phase, a roll is made for each Refugium which may move Manna from disorganized to
organized, or vice versa. The number of dice rolled is equal to the number of organized Manna, plus two dice for
each Biont, either friendly or enemy. If you roll doubles, you may flip the placard and move it, along with organized
Manna, to start your tableau. This side of the card, called Bacteria, represents Darwinian Life. Bacteria and Parasites
are collectively called Microorganisms.

Shiny Days
...but history refused to change
...but history refused to change

Post by Shiny Days » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:48 pm

Doug wrote:about 18 turns, the first 4 billion years of Earth’s 4.6 billion year history
one game of monopoly

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:02 pm

Smash Up Marvel just got released

That brings the total number of factions in Smash Up to 82