Moderator: Doug

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Re: netrunner

Post by Crunchums » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:14 pm

http://neoreadinggrid.co.uk/deadchannel/30

biotic labor on a stick? ok

probably Jinja is just better? you do get immediate value in that even if it's a server of like 3 ice then you save 1 on the first install (2 rez cost) and then 3 when they trash it = 4 total. and unlike Jinja you can also just continue to get savings on other servers if it sticks around. but i don't think that the savings + lack of reveal make it better than Jinja.

i'm a fan of these sorts of jammy cards. dunno if it's good enough, but the numbers are pretty decent, and the flexibility to choose between cards and credits is nice, so it might be
u gotta skate

Juri
We're Knights of the Round Table
We attack each turn if able
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:10 am

the 'ignoring all costs' clause on vaporframe fabricator refers to like, ice tax on cards you lay facedown, right?

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:22 am

Juri wrote:the 'ignoring all costs' clause on vaporframe fabricator refers to like, ice tax on cards you lay facedown, right?
that's the built-in one, yeah. but also any additional costs that exist due to other things, e.g.
https://netrunnerdb.com/en/card/10021
https://netrunnerdb.com/en/card/12007 (i guess this is really the same cost, just increased, but you get the idea)
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:21 pm

https://imgur.com/a/qahddAD

new decoder: i am skeptical that it will be worth it to play this over Gordian Blade. re-install engines are clunky, and the 2nd time you pay for installing it now you've paid the install cost of Gordian anyway. maybe you play it with Brahman, especially with CyCy rotating (;_;)

new killer: ok apparently virtual breakers are a cycle. the numbers on Utae aren't good enough to displace BO (installing from heap is crazy good). the numbers on this are a lot better to the point that you actually maybe play it over MKUltra, especially with Inject rotating
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:10 am

https://imgur.com/a/J8jA51r
the drawback is that it's kinda dead vs decks without big ice, but i think it's good enough against not those decks to see play. seems like a good Az card, ofc

https://imgur.com/a/uHk5qBB
i doubt this will be a thing. needs to be in a deck where you're installing a ton of cheap-ish stuff all the time. pairs nicely with Oracle May. the run requirement is a bummer vs glacier
i dislike the flavor text

https://imgur.com/a/awSjSdk
not half-assing addressing levy rotating, huh. all of the numbers are very favorable. totally playable if you're a deck that can trigger it a lot (does Geist have good ways of doing that?) and wants the recursion effect
i like the flavor
u gotta skate

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:49 am

I fat fingered my mouse and now the computer I'm using has a bookmark called "crunchums" that links to crunchums' profile

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:53 am

Crunchums wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:10 ami dislike the flavor text
yeah

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:53 am

Crunchums wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:10 amImage
lol cool

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:54 am

oh no it's huge

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:19 am

that's what

i said when i preview posted and realized that i would be better off posting links instead
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:20 am

although because you posted that i just noticed that the new trash symbol has a wheel; nifty
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:02 pm

https://twitter.com/CritHitd20/status/1 ... 8948164608
hey, an inject replacement. I really like everything about this card. i think "use dead cards that you've drawn as fuel" is a fun mechanic (something something Faust). should be a staple, even if it's probably not as good as it looks because trashing 3 cards from your hand is actually kind of a big deal, even with conspiracy breakers. especially since it's not like you can overdraw and then just get rid of what you were going to discard anyway, since it draws you more cards.

https://imgur.com/a/tTCOCK9

knee jerk reaction upon reading the first line of text: fuck stealth (but mostly net mercur in particular)
reaction after finishing the whole card: this might be a fun card in a world without net mercur. with net mercur, it's obnoxious

digression about how dumb net mercur is: the whole point of stealth as a mechanic is that they're a hyper-efficient resource (i.e. stealth breakers are way more efficient than regular breakers) that you have a limited amount of. net mercur is like hey how about instead you just have an unlimited amount? so so so dumb

stealth killer - switchblade replacement, i guess. sometimes it will be better than switchblade, but there aren't a lot of 1-2 strength sentries so most of the time it will be worse. but it's still really good. funny that the first ability makes you think Anansi, but actually it breaks Anansi for just 2 more non-stealth credits.
good flavor (i.e. art + name)

ghost runner replacement. i don't like that it's 2 influence criminal. are they changing stealth from a shaper mechanic to a criminal one? or maybe in 2025 they'll do anarch stealth
i love the 2 cheaper if you ran HQ mechanically - rewarding successful runs is fun ( <3 Gabe ). it's neat that if you're a stealth deck then 2 credits for 4 stealth credits is probably fine, but if you're just some deck that's planning on getting in to hq then 4 credits is also good enough
man I wish I could have played this in Nasir (except it would not have been worth the influence; they really could not have made it 1 instead of 2?)
u gotta skate

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:31 pm

Crunchums wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:02 pmdigression about how dumb net mercur is: the whole point of stealth as a mechanic is that they're a hyper-efficient resource (i.e. stealth breakers are way more efficient than regular breakers) that you have a limited amount of. net mercur is like hey how about instead you just have an unlimited amount? so so so dumb
yeah

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:32 pm

I'm almost surprised they didnt do something about that. i guess maybe stealth wasnt dominating or anything so much so it'd be weird to ban cards, but still, it seems flawed designwise

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:38 pm

in the 20ish minute youtube video that i made that nobody cared about i advocated for banning Net Mercur
the thing is that it's actually not a problem from a power level perspective, because Net Mercur => slow setup, so even though the optimal Net Mercur deck (always Smoke) crushes glacier and is generally miserable to play against, it's usually an underdog against tempo oriented corps
u gotta skate

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:27 pm

Crunchums wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:38 pm in the 20ish minute youtube video that i made that nobody cared about
make these videos with a TTS program turned on so that theyre an article instead of a video

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:28 pm

Crunchums wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:38 pm in the 20ish minute youtube video that i made that nobody cared about i advocated for banning Net Mercur
the thing is that it's actually not a problem from a power level perspective, because Net Mercur => slow setup, so even though the optimal Net Mercur deck (always Smoke) crushes glacier and is generally miserable to play against, it's usually an underdog against tempo oriented corps
it's limiting to how you can design stealth cards though right

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:20 pm

Juri wrote: make these videos with a TTS program turned on so that theyre an article instead of a video
that was what i realized afterwards, yeah. but i don't regret having done the video because i learned what it was like to make a video
Juri wrote:it's limiting to how you can design stealth cards though right
eh, not really? it's more limiting in terms of deckbuilding in that it's hard to justify a stealth deck that doesn't play net mercur
i think what you are getting at is that you can't make super strong cards that are balanced by relying on stealth credits, because net mercur makes them too good? i don't think net mercur actually changes things there because it's possible to have lots of stealth credits even without net mercur (especially with smoke)
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:32 pm

https://external-preview.redd.it/IncNW2 ... 4dc013f835
interesting. the numbers are pretty nuts, but it's not damage, so it's not going to flatline if the runner goes YOLO (though it will still do things in front of damage ice, and thimblerig is in-faction). funny that it can hit IHW. only one influence, too. slot machine is already a 1inf cheap + taxing code gate, but some decks might prefer this effect to just generic value. i think this is a solid option if you want to be playing a cheap + taxing code gate
neat art, too
u gotta skate

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:29 pm

Engram Flush might be the Jintekiest ice I've ever seen.

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:56 am

That card is cool. I feel like it should have an additional subtype than observer though.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:45 pm

https://anrbackchannels.tumblr.com/post ... ps-stealth

"only breaks barriers the turn you install it" is weird, especially on a stealth breaker. nice on runs where you're SMCing into a remote, but SMC is rotating. i think you'd rather play refractor, but refactor is rotating. so then the question is would you rather play Houdini; idk. stealth is boring

cloak replacement. i'm annoyed that they made a strictly better version. cloak was already totally playable!
i like the art

every time i think about shaper i'm like oh but that won't work because C&C is rotating, so it's disappointing that the shaper cards in this new set aren't very interesting. stealth + bonus-on-install breakers; yawn

also i hadn't seen this before but there's a clone chip replacement https://netrunnerdb.com/en/card/26085
i like that it actually incentivizes you to build your deck a certain way compared to clone chip being totally generic
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:16 am

full spoilers https://netrunnerdb.com/en/set/ur/full

DreamNet - oh hey juri look it's a card that cares about your identity being Digital. the only pre-existing Digital identity is Apex
so it's like Paragon, but it doesn't give an MU (or take your console slot). not sure how to evaluate that; Paragon is playable, but most decks want more MU, and you probably don't want to play both this and a console

Týr - I've seen this card before, but oh my god what a faceplant. i kind of hate crazy-awful faceplant ice because face-checking is fun, and it's dumb when runners can't do it because ice is so good that it's not even a question for the corp of whether the rez cost is worth the faceplant. at least this costs 10 (though you're getting some of that back between the second sub + whatever clicks that they give you). I'm glad it's Unique.

Cyberdex Sandbox - probably not good enough? even if purging is important, you'd probably rather be playing CVS and a different 4/2 than this. you'd really need a deck that wants to be purging repeatedly for this to be worth playing. likes Jeeves
u gotta skate

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:47 am

Click-drain is such a HB effect I'm surprised I haven't seen it before now

Also this art is legitimately excellent, esp when the digital arts are often the ones that they kind of phone in with a few glow and blur filters on top of a stock photo of a fruit or power tool or whatever. Great job nisei art peeps!

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:48 am

I like that 'purge tribal' exists now, but I agree that cyberdex sandbox probably isn't good enough

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:29 am

Juri wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:47 am Click-drain is such a HB effect I'm surprised I haven't seen it before now
(but this card is so bad (especially given Black Orchestra) and forgettable that i do not blame you for not being aware of it
i was like "oh i think there is one already?" and then brought up the entire list of HB ice to go find it)
u gotta skate

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:30 am

I did in fact have no idea whatsoever about that card

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:56 pm

Wait, wasn't Hoshiko Shiro a "Next Level Shut-In"? How come she's an "Untold Protagonist" now? Lame.

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:54 pm

Ashenai wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:56 pm Wait, wasn't Hoshiko Shiro a "Next Level Shut-In"? How come she's an "Untold Protagonist" now? Lame.
Oh weird. Yeah why's it different?

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:58 pm

insisting on calling her "shiro hoshiko" to tilt my opponents in tournaments