Re: Random Magic Discussion Thread

Post by Khaos » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:30 am

about about that guy with the cookbook

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:17 pm

WotC email wrote:The format for this month’s Qualifier Weekend is Traditional (Best-of-Three) Kaldheim Sealed (Phantom).
I get to play high-stakes Kaldheim Sealed again next weekend! This is a big win, I think it's a really fun Sealed format and I fucking hate Standard. Yay!

Juri
We're Knights of the Round Table
We attack each turn if able
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:18 am

Ashenai wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:17 pm
WotC email wrote:The format for this month’s Qualifier Weekend is Traditional (Best-of-Three) Kaldheim Sealed (Phantom).
I get to play high-stakes Kaldheim Sealed again next weekend! This is a big win, I think it's a really fun Sealed format and I fucking hate Standard. Yay!
Got any tips for playing kaldheim sealed? I've only ever played the format in draft

im not playing in the high stakes thing, but im thinking of playing a sealed generally sometime

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:44 am

Juri wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:18 am
Got any tips for playing kaldheim sealed? I've only ever played the format in draft

im not playing in the high stakes thing, but im thinking of playing a sealed generally sometime
There are two main decks, and the first thing you do (after checking your rares, and bitching about your rares) is check your potential in these two decks:

1) Green-based snow control splashing as many bombs as possible
This is my favorite deck (to a fault; I don't check for Deck 2 enough). Kaldheim has some really powerful cards even at uncommon (e.g. the 2/4 RG troll that makes monoliths and takes over the lategame, the snow Icy Manipulator, Path of the World Tree). A pile that plays all or most of your best cards can be very powerful, if you can swing the mana (which you generally can if you have 2+ 5-color sources), and if you have enough bombs. Always play all of your fixing. You'll usually be playing 4 or 5 colors.

2) Red-based aggro
This preys on Deck 1, and does not need very strong cards, just a good curve and a way to push through damage. LSV went 6-2 in the championship and won $1000 off a horrible pool that happened to have 4 Run Amok, by playing RB Garbo. All of his cards were awful, and he actually didn't even have a good curve, but 4 Run Amoks is a lot of Run Amoks. This deck usually doesn't want to splash even a third color.

You can deviate from these two decks in special cases. For example, poor fixing and exceptional cards in WG can make WG aggro/midrange work. But these are the dominant two decks. Midrange is usually a trap.

Gameplay-wise, my only advice is to figure out as quickly as possible what kind of deck you're playing against, so you know whether you're trying to keep your life total high and blow your removal on early threats, or whether you're hoarding cards for the lategame.

Juri
We're Knights of the Round Table
We attack each turn if able
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:27 pm

Ashenai wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:44 am
Juri wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:18 am

There are two main decks, and the first thing you do (after checking your rares, and bitching about your rares) is check your potential in these two decks:

1) Green-based snow control splashing as many bombs as possible
This is my favorite deck (to a fault; I don't check for Deck 2 enough). Kaldheim has some really powerful cards even at uncommon (e.g. the 2/4 RG troll that makes monoliths and takes over the lategame, the snow Icy Manipulator, Path of the World Tree). A pile that plays all or most of your best cards can be very powerful, if you can swing the mana (which you generally can if you have 2+ 5-color sources), and if you have enough bombs. Always play all of your fixing. You'll usually be playing 4 or 5 colors.

2) Red-based aggro
This preys on Deck 1, and does not need very strong cards, just a good curve and a way to push through damage. LSV went 6-2 in the championship and won $1000 off a horrible pool that happened to have 4 Run Amok, by playing RB Garbo. All of his cards were awful, and he actually didn't even have a good curve, but 4 Run Amoks is a lot of Run Amoks. This deck usually doesn't want to splash even a third color.

You can deviate from these two decks in special cases. For example, poor fixing and exceptional cards in WG can make WG aggro/midrange work. But these are the dominant two decks. Midrange is usually a trap.

Gameplay-wise, my only advice is to figure out as quickly as possible what kind of deck you're playing against, so you know whether you're trying to keep your life total high and blow your removal on early threats, or whether you're hoarding cards for the lategame.
thassa good rundown, thank u kindly

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:42 pm

im really enjoying drafting the new set. it feels like the best new draft archetype, barring cubes, since dominaria.

im a little offended that shock and lightning bolt are in the same set, though. has there ever been a modern set with a just better card printed within it?
with love, your good friend, seathesee

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:43 pm

you mean... a strictly better card? :)

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:08 pm

seathesee wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:42 pm im really enjoying drafting the new set. it feels like the best new draft archetype, barring cubes, since dominaria.

im a little offended that shock and lightning bolt are in the same set, though. has there ever been a modern set with a just better card printed within it?
I'm not sure if there's ever been a modern set without a card that was strictly better than another one in the same set. Usually these are rare creatures vs. common/uncommon ones. e.g. Kaldheim had Breakneck Berserker, which was worse than both Arni Brokenbrow and Birgi, God of Storytelling.

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:12 pm

Ashenai wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:08 pm
seathesee wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:42 pm im really enjoying drafting the new set. it feels like the best new draft archetype, barring cubes, since dominaria.

I'm not sure if there's ever been a modern set without a card that was strictly better than another one in the same set. Usually these are rare creatures vs. common/uncommon ones. e.g. Kaldheim had Breakneck Berserker, which was worse than both Arni Brokenbrow and Birgi, God of Storytelling.
creatures usually get out of this with creature type. breaneck isnt a legend and gets all those sweet dwarf bonuses.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:41 pm

Sky Skiff vs. Smuggler's Copter in Kaladesh. The crowd goes wild!

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:46 pm

it even gets under meekstone!

KingRamz
We are not amused.
Cardboard Robot

Post by KingRamz » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:27 pm

idk about you but I'd way rather have Shock when I'm at 3 against an opposing Misdirection

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:31 pm

not me. the trick is to always be packing your own misdirection.

Skeletor
How'd you know that loving kittens is my one defining trait?
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:35 pm

seathesee wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:31 pm not me. the trick is to always be packing your own misdirection.
You'd need two misdirections then. You can't cast your last misdirection while still adhering to always be packin'
wow, [you]. that all sounds terrible. i hope it gets better for you

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:37 pm

Skeletor wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:35 pm
seathesee wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:31 pm not me. the trick is to always be packing your own misdirection.
You'd need two misdirections then. You can't cast your last misdirection while still adhering to always be packin'
sensei? is that you?

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:51 pm

lol

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:01 pm

i played a few games with this today: https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=30345&d=437209&f=ST#
1 Sleep of the Dead (THB) 66
1 Glimpse of Freedom (THB) 50
2 Negate (STA) 18
2 Test of Talents (STX) 59
3 Boon of the Wish-Giver (IKO) 43
3 Curate (STX) 40
3 Stern Dismissal (THB) 68
4 Serpentine Curve (STX) 52
4 Frostveil Ambush (IKO) 52
4 Startling Development (IKO) 68
4 Opt (STA) 19
4 Neutralize (IKO) 59
4 Reject (STX) 50
1 Thassa's Oracle (THB) 73
1 Fabled Passage (M21) 246
1 Crawling Barrens (ZNR) 262
2 Field of Ruin (THB) 242
16 Island (STX) 369

2 Essence Scatter (AKR) 60
2 Brinebarrow Intruder (KHM) 49
2 Bubble Snare (ZNR) 47
2 Ravenform (KHM) 72
2 Disdainful Stroke (KHM) 54
2 Mystical Dispute (ELD) 58
1 Negate (STA) 18
1 Stern Dismissal (THB) 68
1 Thassa's Oracle (THB) 73
its surprisingly strong for a deck with two rares main. i cant help but think serpentine curve might be a pauper card, and this might be a pauper deck, after playing a handful of games with it.

Blissful
"I don’t believe that we will lose life or have to discard cards ourselves."
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Sun May 09, 2021 12:45 pm

rofl @ this thing

extremely powerful type usage

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Sun May 09, 2021 12:46 pm

seathesee wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:01 pm i played a few games with this today: https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=30345&d=437209&f=ST#
its surprisingly strong for a deck with two rares main. i cant help but think serpentine curve might be a pauper card, and this might be a pauper deck, after playing a handful of games with it.
this list looks pretty cool, might give it a spin

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Sun May 09, 2021 12:46 pm

i could definitely imagine serpentine curve ending up in a pauper list somewhere. that card's been fun to draft with too

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Sun May 09, 2021 1:11 pm

Alessandra got to illustrate the buy a box this time. :siren:
afr-396-vorpal-sword.jpg
afr-396-vorpal-sword.jpg (90.5 KiB) Viewed 429 times

the_zoomies
Attaboy! You finished my labyrinth and I'm proud of you!
Let's party like it's 1899

Post by the_zoomies » Tue May 11, 2021 2:31 pm

Blissful wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:46 pm
seathesee wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:01 pm i played a few games with this today: https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=30345&d=437209&f=ST#
Hi hello, just popping my head in to say maindeck test of talents is real nice.

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Tue May 11, 2021 5:41 pm

the_zoomies wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:31 pm
Blissful wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:46 pm

I have something for you.

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Tue May 11, 2021 5:42 pm

I wasn't able to manually click all of them individually within the time limit, lol. Still got there.

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Tue May 11, 2021 5:47 pm

lmfao

the_zoomies

Post by the_zoomies » Tue May 11, 2021 5:50 pm

Blissful wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:41 pm
the_zoomies wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:31 pm
Blissful wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:46 pm this list looks pretty cool, might give it a spin
I have something for you.

As it loaded, I assumed it would be Zenith Flare. This was much, much better

the_zoomies

Post by the_zoomies » Tue May 11, 2021 5:52 pm

I don't know if you've cast Tainted Pact, but there's various humorous limitations. The one that doesn't impact anything is that the buttons constantly move as you go through cards.

The other one that "kind of" doesn't impact anything is that if you run out of time you answer no to EVERYTHING, so if you've got the oracle trigger on the stack you win.

Anyway, the buttons remind me of this banger every time: Image

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Tue May 11, 2021 5:56 pm

the_zoomies wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:52 pmImage
A classic

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Wed May 12, 2021 9:58 pm

Blissful wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:42 pm I wasn't able to manually click all of them individually within the time limit, lol. Still got there.
lol.

its not a great deck or anything, but i had fun with it, and won way more games than i thought i would with a more or less rare-less deck. its pretty good against the 3-4 color yorion decks that were all the rage for a bit. i even managed to snag a couple wins off of sligh which is the decks absolute worst nightmare.