Re: Cthulhu Wars Stuff

Post by Rylinks » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:12 pm

oh i misread catnapping as all units of that faction for a long time lol

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:13 pm

Rylinks wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:12 pm oh i misread catnapping as all units of that faction for a long time lol
That's not your fault, I wrote that it was all the units of that faction at first, not realizing how that read
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:22 pm

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed May 01, 2019 10:25 pm

Sandy Petersen just announced a 9-11 player map

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Wed May 01, 2019 11:03 pm

9-11, when cthulhu emerged on top of the twin towers

drk
Birds are wild
Posting Automaton

Post by drk » Thu May 02, 2019 12:39 am

So, time to round up 7 other folks for another game?

人造
...but history refused to change

Post by 人造 » Thu May 02, 2019 12:59 am

i wonder if there's stuff we could do that could make gaming easier

人造

Post by 人造 » Thu May 02, 2019 1:00 am

since we can do, like, pretty much anything

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu May 02, 2019 1:05 am

drk wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:39 am So, time to round up 7 other folks for another game?
Yes

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu May 02, 2019 1:39 pm

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu May 02, 2019 1:55 pm

人造 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:59 am i wonder if there's stuff we could do that could make gaming easier
I'm not sure, like, what kind of stuff

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu May 02, 2019 2:01 pm

Cthulhu Wars is exactly like Mafia, so I would think that you would want to jump right in

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu May 02, 2019 4:40 pm

OK so now SP says that the new Ritual of Annihilation Track, for 9-11 people, will be for 9-12 people. He asserts that there is no 12th faction. He says that the reason it will have a line for 12 players is in case players make their own faction, and also because a 12th player line obviously fit on the card.

人造

Post by 人造 » Thu May 02, 2019 10:56 pm

Doug wrote:
I'm not sure, like, what kind of stuff
i'm not sure either because i don't understand how the game works

人造

Post by 人造 » Thu May 02, 2019 10:56 pm

Doug wrote:Cthulhu Wars is exactly like Mafia, so I would think that you would want to jump right in
i don't like doing things, learning rules, winning at games, and or mafia

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Fri May 03, 2019 1:58 pm

人造 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:56 pm
Doug wrote:Cthulhu Wars is exactly like Mafia, so I would think that you would want to jump right in
i don't like doing things, learning rules, winning at games, and or mafia
No you love Mafia

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Fri May 03, 2019 5:40 pm

Design Corner: Cthulhu Wars' Flow

Posted by Sandy Petersen (Creator)

2 Comments

18 likes

Every good game has a certain flow to it, sometimes formally divided by aficionados into the opening, the mid-game, and the end-game. Cthulhu Wars is no exception. A typical game of Cthulhu Wars only lasts 4-6 turns, 5 being typical, so every turn counts.

Turn One

Cthulhu Wars' opening moves are the most choreographed. You don't have anything but cultists (unless you're the Bubastis faction), and you don't have a Great Old One. With only 8 points, choices are limited, but you still have important decisions to make.

Most factions will move a cultist, build a gate, summon a monster as gate guardian, then move another cultist or get another monster. Some factions can vary this a bit - sometimes Sleeper gets one of his Cost 3 spellbooks. Occasionally a faction tries to stretch and get two gates, though usually this is too dangerous. Yellow Sign almost always awakens the King in Yellow. Of course Bubastis and Daemon Sultan can't follow the normal move/build/summon sequence, so they have other processes.

But even in this first turn, you should keep an eye (I) on your spellbook requirements. Cthulhu should consider building his first gate in the ocean, to work towards his "Three Ocean Gates" requirement. Tcho-Tchos should summon a High Priest for a Doom phase Ubbo-Sathla. Bubastis should consider her "Pay 2" spellbook, or possibly seek to get all those cats off the moon. And so forth.

For many factions, the big decision is whether to awaken a Great Old One in turn two. Make preparations if so.

Turn Two

This is the tail end of Cthulhu Wars' "Opening". If you are ready to awaken your Great Old One, do it, and this will probably use up all or almost all of your Power for the turn. If not, you need to get ready for Turn Three, when you need to awaken your Great Old One, plus weather the storm of the attacks by the players who got their Great Old Oneon Turn Two.

During the Doom phase before turn two is also when you'd take a Neutral Monster or Terror, if you can afford it. Remember that taking a Terror also costs 2 Power, which might prevent awakening your Great Old One. For example, Cthulhu costs 10 Power, and his faction usually starts turn two with exactly 10 Power, so taking a Terror means no Cthulhu that turn. If you have a High Priest, you can pull it off, but you still can't do much else.

If you're not taking your Great Old One in Turn Two, then you need to spread out, get an extra Gate or two, so you'll have enough Power in turn three to not only awaken your Great Old One but also use it. For most factions, I'd try to go for at least 4 gates. Remember - if some of the other players are doing the Turn Two Great Old One plan, they won't be interfering with you. And usually the players who didn't awaken a Great Old One are also trying to spread out.

Some factions have staged Great Old Ones, so prepare your stage. If you're Windwalker, you'll almost certainly want a turn two Rhan-Tegoth. If you're Daemon Sultan, you'll want Avatar Thesis at a minimum.

Don't forget to add another spellbook or two to your armory during Turn Two if you're not doing the awaken thing.

Turn Three

You're now solidly in the mid-game. Most players won't do a Ritual on turn three, unless they have some special bonus in this regard. Tcho-Tchos might, because their GOO is free, and so might Windwalker or Sleeper. But it's rare to see anyone else.

This is the turn to try to get as many spellbooks and as much Power as possible. This is the Deep Game, the heart of Cthulhu Wars. You'll be battling enemy GOOs, trying to steal their Gates, and engaging fully.

Even if you awakened a Great Old One you should have done so with some Power to spare, so you can still take actions.

For example, if you're Sleeper, in turn one you probably got a gate and one spellbook. In turn two you should have gotten at least two more gates. This means in turn three, with 5-6 cultists, 4 gates, and perhaps an Ancient Sorcery or two, you should start with 13-15 Power. Awakening Tsathoggua still leaves you 5-7 Power to play with. I wouldn't recommend spending any of this on a Cost 3 spellbook this particular turn, because you can have a lot of fun with Tsathoggua and even just 3-4 Power.

If you haven't awakened at least one faction Great Old One by the end of Turn Three, you're in trouble. I hope whatever activities you in place of summoning pay off.

Basically, in Turn Three, get your Elder Sign engine ready for action.

Turn Four

Probably around 10% of the time, a game ends with Turn Four. You can know if this is going to happen or not by looking around the table. Did someone have 4 Gates and Ritual last turn? Might that person have 4-5 gates this turn, and Ritual? Does someone have a big stack (3+) of Elder Signs? That's the guy to watch. To end the game, the player will need 30 points. Look at it like this - he probably scored 2 Doom in the first Doom phase. If he expanded, he got 4 more Doom in the second Doom phase. If he had 4 gates and Ritualed in the third turn, he's up to 14 Doom, plus he has at least 1 Elder Sign, maybe more. This puts him at potentially 20 doom already. If he can ritual with 4-5 gates at the end of turn four, he'll be at 30, including Elder Signs. Don't be surprised if, when you don't beat him down, the game has a surprise win.

If the game isn't going to end though (as it doesn't, 90% of the time) Turn Four is more Deep Game. This is the turn you must pick up any remaining scattered spellbooks. Most factions already have all their spellbooks by Turn Four. If you had setbacks, or if you're a faction that has built-in delays on spellbooks (like the Tcho-Tchos or Daemon Sultan), it's now or never.

Factions with a big last-turn blowout, like Tcho-Tcho Leng or Windwalker need to prepare for that blowout.

I rarely seen Gates built in Turn Four - it's always about gate-stealing, trying to assassinate other people's Great Old Ones, and exploiting your Elder Sign engine.

Turn Five

Most games end in the Doom phase following the fifth turn. This is the end game. Rules are simple:
•cling to your gates.
•take gates away from the leader (if it's not you)
•make sure you are going to have at least 10 Power for the Doom phase (or else you might not be able to Ritual!)
•pick up Elder Signs. Or kill enemy Great Old Ones if you can do it on the cheap, so they won't get that extra Elder Sign during the final Ritual.

Turn Six

Occasionally a game makes it to Turn Six. Beware - most games that go into Turn Six end before the end of the turn, with someone (usually Yellow Sign or Crawling Chaos) turning in a stack of Elder Signs.

If you're in Turn Six, and you're NOT a faction which can earn Elder Signs during the action phase, then you need to try to limit the factions who can, trying to prevent the Elder Sign turn-in. Your goal must be to make it to the Doom phase, so you can get another Ritual.

If you ARE a faction who earns Elder Signs during the action phase, go nuts. Everything must be sacrificed on the altar of the Elder Signs. Your gates, monsters, cultists, none of it matters any more. Just Elder Signs.

Wait, what's an Elder Sign Engine?

Every faction has one or more terrifying combination they can use to rule the universe. A few actually gather Elder Signs, like Yellow Sign's Third eye (I) Desecration combo, or Crawling Chaos using Harbinger to shake Elder Signs out of the King in Yellow or Rhan-Tegoth. Some are intended to set yourself up for super-rituals, such as Windwalkers Arctic Storm rampage, or Opener stealing gates for a big Dragon Descending. A few don't directly score Elder Signs, but instead give you the Power you need to maintain your Rituals, such as Sleeper's Energy Nexus/Burrowing/Capture Monster, or Bubastis Catnapping an enemy Great Old One to the Moon, then ritualing for 2 Elder Signs.

Ask around. Watch experienced players. You'll see some of these combos in action, then go and do likewise. Or invent your own. Even after six years, Cthulhu Wars still has tricks up its sleeve.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed May 29, 2019 5:05 pm

Gods War -- differences from Cthulhu Wars

- Play is to 35 VPs (VPs are what doom points are called in this game)

- Factions have six Heroquest requirements, which are like spellbook requirements. However, you do not have to complete your Heroquest requirements in this game in order to win

- There is no Unlimited Battle in this game. Having all your gifts is simply advantageous, and doesn't grant you a special battle ability as it does in Cthulhu Wars

- There are spaces that are disconnected from the main board (the way Cthulhu Wars' Moon is), and are reached by special rules or conditions. These include Hell and the Sky Dome. The Sky Dome is adjacent to all north-edge land spaces, all south-edge land spaces, and to a space in the center called the Spike. Hell is adjacent to all west-edge land spaces, but only for entry into Hell and not exit. Hell is also adjacent to all east-edge land spaces, but only for exit from Hell and not entry. The map has reminder text for this

- Units in Hell are trapped there. Forces cannot retreat out of Hell. They may only exit if there is a higher-combat-dice unit in Hell, not counting buildings, and if the owner of that unit gives permission. That player can be you, but the unit with the highest dice cannot give itself permission to exit! Abilities that allow teleportation can be used to escape Hell

- Later in the game, the map will change. Once a marker called Magesta's Pool is in play, units may flee Hell without permission by paying 1 VP and 1 power (total) for any number of your units to escape. Magesta's Pool appears once the Chaos Rift closes (see below). When it appears, all sea areas are now entrances to Hell (but not exits, there's still only one exit)

- When Moving, you may Move any number of units as in Cthulhu Wars, but all the Moving units must originate in the same area. This is quite a restriction compared with Cthulhu Wars. However, it only costs 1 to Move up to all of them. They do not have to go to the same place

- On the map, numerous land spaces separated by sea have sea-crossing arrows connecting them. Those lands are considered adjacent. This makes for interesting topology, because two land areas separated by a sea are often adjacent to each other as well as to that sea (kind of like the weird relationship that North America, South America, and the Atlantic Ocean have on the Cthulhu Wars Earth map)

- There is an island called Kylerela that starts in one sea but will move over the course of the game to other seas. A player choosing to Move units in Kylerela can also Move Kylerela itself, to another sea (yes this costs only 1 total!). The player can take advantage of Kylerela's movement by Moving the units off Kylerela before Kylerela itself moves, or after, or before for some units and after for others. When Kylerela is moved, it moves to another sea, but it may be positioned in that sea so that it touches a land space -- Kylerela has dock symbols, and Kylerela can be docked with a land space, or even two land spaces depending on position. This is entirely up to the player moving Kylerela. Kylerela can also be positioned so that it covers up a sea-crossing arrow, preventing its use

- There are no acolytes or gates. Instead, factions have buildings. The buildings are particular to the faction e.g. if I'm Sea, I build blue buildings that are mine, and you can't use them. You are limited by your countermix, of course. Each space can only hold one building. The lowest-level building is a shrine. You can build a shrine in any space that doesn't have one, even if you're not there, and even if enemies are there. The next level of building is a temple, which must be built over your shrine, replacing it. The highest level of building is the ziggurat, which must be built over a temple, replacing it. Shrines are good enough for summoning most of your units, but normally, your Gods will need a temple to be summoned. The ziggurat is usually a Heroquest (spellbook) requirement for your faction

- Later in the game, the Spike will be destroyed. When it is destroyed, it turns into the Chaos Rift. The Chaos Rift is not an area and cannot be entered. Units will be put there by special Chaos Rift rules

- You are allowed to declare Battle in this game with 0 dice, unlike Cthulhu Wars, as long as at least one attacker isn't a building

- Players can retreat into areas already occupied by their opponent in this game. When you retreat, all your retreaters must go to one space, chosen by your opponent

- Routs (pains) and kills cannot be assigned to buildings. If the owner of a building has no other units guarding it after battle results, and the opponent still has a unit there, the opponent can Conquer the building (replace it with his own) or Destroy it. You cannot Conquer a building if you don't have that type of building in your pool with which to replace it

- Power is not based on acolytes and gates, since this game doesn't have those. Player gain power as follows
a. 1 power automatically unless the Chaos Rift is open
b. 2 power for each type of building you have (not each building)
c. 1 power for each fragment you have completed or partially completed (a fragment is a specific pair of Heroquest (spellbook) requirements)
d. the minimum power rule is the same in this game as in Cthulhu Wars

- The Doom phase is called the Council phase. You gain 1 VP for each building (not each type) you have. You also gain 1 VP for each fragment you have completed

- In the first Council phase where a player has 10+ VPs, the Spike shatters. It becomes the Chaos Rift. All units on the Spike are destroyed. Each Council phase where the Chaos Rift exists, the Chaos Rift Struggle takes place:
a. Each player except Chaos must put an own unit or building into the Chaos Rift. Chaos instead gains a rune (elder sign)
b. Each player secretly decides to spend 1-6 power. (Use a die covered by your hand.) You may choose an amount that is more than you have, and this means you spend 0. Note that by this mechanic, players with 6 or more power cannot spend 0
c. Add all the dice together except subtract Chaos's die instead of add (Chaos wants the rift to stay open), and each player spends the amount of power they revealed
d. The player(s) who chose the lowest amount of power lose 1 VP
e. Add the dice total to the cost of all units and buildings in the Rift -- this is the Commitment total
f. Roll N dice where N is the number of players -- this is the Chaos Rift Strength for this round
g. If Commitment exceeds the Chaos Rift Strength, the Rift is closed! Replace it with Magasta's Pool. The units trapped in the Rift now go back to players' pools

- If any player reaches 20+ VP, the Great Compromise segment is enacted in the Council phase
a. The first player (same as Cthulhu Wars) may spend half his power, rounded down
b. If he did, he chooses a player (himself, usually) to gain 4 VP. He chooses another to gain 3 VP, and another to gain 2 VP, and another to gain 1 VP (unless you run out of players). In a larger game, choose another to gain 0 VP, and then another to lose 1 VP, and another to lose 2 VP, and so on!
c. If the player did not want to spend half his power, the second player may now do so, or then the third player, and so on. (Only one player may spend power in this way)

- Factions have abilities in this game, of course, but each faction also has a drawback

- There are runes instead of elder signs. They are cards -- a few of them grant VPs, but most them grant abilities instead. Some are very strong. Various game effects generate runes. Runes are revealed and used during action phases. Runes that are worth VPs may be revealed for VPs at the end of the game, and any unused runes that aren't explicitly worth VPs are still worth 1/2 VP each at the end of the game

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Fri May 31, 2019 1:57 am

Storm wrote:Inferiority Complex - Once per power phase, you may pay 2 VP to gain 4 power.
Honor - It costs you 2 power instead of 1 to declare battle against an empire with 0 power.

Storm sets up with a shrine on Kylerela and 6 power.

6 Shrines (building) cost 1 combat 0

3 Temples (building) cost 2 (+ shrine) combat +1 rout
1 Ziggurat (building) cost 3 (+ temple) combat +1 kill
Fly - Your units on a Storm Temple or Storm Ziggurat may skip over one space when moving. Units that do this cannot use sea-crossing arrows.

4 Barbarians (mortal minion) cost 1 combat 1
1 Champion (mortal hero) cost 2 combat 2
3 Stormbrothers (lesser god) cost 2 combat 1

The Thunder King Orlanth (greater god) cost 4 combat (your total earned gifts)
To Summon Orlanth, you must have a temple or ziggurat in play.
Kinship - During each council phase, decide whether to gain 1 VP or 2 power, and then choose another player to gain the other.

Heroquests

Kill an enemy mortal in battle
Kill an enemy god in battle
----------
An enemy empire has 6 gifts
Place your ziggurat
----------
At least two enemy players have runes
Summon the Thunder King Orlanth
----------

Gifts

Single Combat - Pre-battle, your champion may roll its battle dice first, applying results before anyone else gets to roll, or you may have your champion roll 1 extra die at the normal time.
Whirlwind - Pre-battle, any battle you're in as long as you have a unit present, you may add 1 die to the battle, and you may relocate up to any of your Stormbrothers into the battle from anywhere.
Insurgency - When you conquer an enemy building, you may replace it with your temple instead of a different type. But you may only do this to a chaos nest if the chaos nest is the only building there.
Teleport - As an action, relocate Orlanth from any area to any area. He may bring one other unit with him belonging to any player. This action costs 1, unless you are bringing another greater god, or are escaping Hell without permission, in which case it costs 2.
Courage - Post-battle, if Orlanth was in the battle and the enemy rolled 3+ dice, gain 1 rune (even if Orlanth died).
Weather Control - Once per game - When you gain this gift, you gain power equal to your total gifts. You also gain 1 rune.
Chaos wrote:Festering - Gain 1 power in the power phase for each of your nests that shares an area with an enemy building.
Anarchy - Whenever units are killed or eliminated, advance the Mad God marker 1 space for each (even if the Mad God is not in play).
Loathsome - You cannot be the first player. You also do not get the free 1 power that other empires get during the power phase.

Chaos sets up with nothing on the map, and 6 power. The Mad God marker starts at 0.

6 Chaos Nests (building) cost 1 combat 0
Corruption - A single chaos nest can share an area with an enemy building.

6 Imbedded Chaos Nests (building) cost 2 (+ chaos nest) combat +1 kill, but 0 against a greater god or ziggurat
Imbedded Chaos Nests can only be made through the Imbed gift. They are made by flipping a regular chaos nest.
Chaos Feature - Imbedded chaos nests give you 1 power during the power phase if they share an area with an enemy building (in addition to Festering). When destroyed, they are not removed, but become regular chaos nests (flip them back over). They do not count as a different building type from chaos nests during the power phase.

6 Broos (mortal minion) cost 1 combat 1

Lady of Disease, Malia (greater god) cost 2 combat 0
Plague - Anyone (even you) declaring battle in Malia's area must pay 1 VP in addition.

Magna Mater, Thed (greater god) cost 4 combat (1d6 dice)
You cannot summon Thed unless Malia is in play.
Irruption - As an action that costs 2, remove your chaos nest, or flip your imbedded chaos nest, and place all broos from your pool into the space. You may not do this in a space with an enemy greater god or ziggurat.

The Mad God Ragnaglar (greater god) cost 6 combat (Mad God marker position)
You cannot summon Ragnaglar unless Thed is in play.
Torment - During the power phase, if the Mad God marker is at 10+, reduce the marker by 1d6 and gain a rune.

Heroquests

The Spire shatters - only Catastrophe can be placed in this slot.
Summon Malia
----------
A battle (any battle) results in 2+ kills
Summon Thed
----------
The Mad God marker reaches 10
Summon Ragnaglar
----------

Gifts

Imbed - As an action that costs 2, turn a chaos nest into an imbedded chaos nest.
Catastrophe - When the Spire shatters, earn this gift and 1 rune. At the end of each Chaos Rift struggle, if the Rift did not close, earn another rune. Once the Rift closes, turn this gift face-down.
I Fought, We Won - During the council phase, on the count of three, each opponent holds up a finger or a fist. Gain 1 power for each finger, to a max of 4. Each player who held up a fist loses 1 power. If any player neither holds up a finger or a fist, you choose for that player.
Blood Sacrifice - During the council phase, each of your greater gods eliminates one enemy unit or building in its area. You choose which player is affected for each of your greater gods, but you cannot choose the same player twice in one council phase. A player with a greater god or ziggurat in an area is immune in that area. The victim chooses the unit or building.
The Unholy Trio - Once per game - Post-battle, any battle, turn all routs into kills and gain 1 rune.
Oblivion - Whenever you kill or eliminate an enemy unit or building in battle or by Blood Sacrifice, the victim must choose that you gain 1 rune or that one of his own removed units is out of the game forever. Place that player's oblivion token in your oblivion box. Oblivion cannot affect that player again until the next power phase. Remove all oblivion markers from the box at that time.
Darkness wrote:Hellborn - Your units may exit Hell without permission. They may emerge in any area on the surface. They enter Hell in the usual way. You may only use Hellborn after the first council phase.
Nocturnal - You cannot build or conquer buildings in the Sky Dome, the Moon, or on the Spike. You may still destroy them there, however.

Darkness sets up with 4 trolls in Outer Hell and 6 power.

Dark Walk - Your units may enter Hell from your temples or ziggurat.

Castle of Lead (building) cost 1 (+ building, you must have Ancestor Worship) combat +1 kill
Darksee - Gain 1 rune during the power phase. Your units may enter Hell from the Castle of Lead.

4 Trolls (mortal minion) cost 1 combat 1
The Mistress (mortal hero) cost 2 combat 1
3 Shades (lesser god) cost 2 combat 1

Hellmother, Kyger Litor (greater god) cost 4 combat (8 minus the number of Darkness units in your pool)
To summon Kyger Litor, you must have a temple, ziggurat, or the Castle of Lead in play.
Nocturnal Raids - During the power phase, place all trolls from your pool into any Hell area.

Heroquests

Have a hero, minion, lesser god, and greater god in play
Summon Kyger Litor
----------
Part A - The first time you kill a unit or destroy a building from each empire in battle, take 1 such unit or building and place it here. See part B
Lose a unit in battle
----------
Part B - When you have completed Part A for at least half of all players, return all those units and buildings to opponents' pools, complete this and the Part A heroquest, and gain power equal to the number of players
Place your ziggurat
----------

Gifts

Ancestor Worship - You may build the Castle of Lead. You earn 1 rune each time you build it.
Hunger - In battle, you may have the Mistress simply add 1 kill or 2 routs instead of rolling her dice.
Spectral Form - You may assign up to 2 kills and/or routs to each of your shades in battle. They are still killed if you assign them any kills.
Black Market - During the council phase, draw 1 rune and look at it. You may read it aloud. You may keep it by paying 1 VP or 2 power, or you may give it to an opponent, who decides whether you earn 1 VP or 2 power.
Fear - When you rout enemy units, you may rout them to any area you choose (regardless of distance).
Psychopomp - Whenever one or more enemy units enter Hell by any means, you earn 1 VP or 1 power, chosen by that player. If the enemy units belonged to more than one opponent, you choose the VP or power instead.
Sky wrote:Nightfall - If Yelm would be killed or eliminated, he is instead routed to Hell (your choice which Hell area). If he already is in Hell, you must rout him to another Hell area.
Optimist - You may not declare battle in Hell.

Sky sets up with a shrine on the Spike, with Yelm in Inner Hell, 6 power, and the first player marker.

3 Temples (building) cost 2 (+ shrine) combat +2 routs
1 Ziggurat (building) cost 3 (+temple) combat +2 kills
Firelance - Your temples and ziggurat are more effective in battle than normal temples and ziggurats (this is already accounted for above).

4 Archers (mortal minion) cost 1 combat 1
The Emperor (mortal hero) cost 2 combat (1 in Hell, 2 anywhere else)
3 Phoenixes (lesser gods) cost 2 combat 1

Sun God, Yelm (greater god) cost 4 combat (1 in Hell, 3 anywhere else)
Dawn - When Yelm moves, all of your units everywhere can also move. However, you cannot use Dawn when moving Yelm into Hell. You also cannot move Kylerela using Dawn.

Heroquests

Yelm exits Hell - gain 2 runes, and if you exited with another player's permission, that player gains 1 rune
Place your ziggurat
----------
Conquer or destroy a shrine or chaos nest in battle
Conquer or destroy an enemy building that is not a shrine or chaos nest, in battle
----------
Great Decree - as an action, spend 1 power and choose an opponent to gain 2 power. You cannot do this during the first round
Great Decree - as an action, spend 1 power and choose an opponent to gain 1 rune. You cannot do this during the first round
----------

Gifts

Shannasse - In battle, your archers may add their combat value from an adjacent area, and do not suffer combat results when doing this. But they cannot do this when your lone building is attacked.
Arrogance - When the Emperor is in a battle, you may select a unit that isn't a greater god in the battle. That unit is out of the battle, takes no part, and cannot suffer results. (You can't do this to buildings.)
Sunspear - As an action that costs 2, if you have a phoenix in your pool, target an enemy unit that isn't a greater god, and roll a die. If the roll exceeds the target's cost, eliminate that unit and place your phoenix there.
Solar Energy - During the power phase, if Yelm is on the surface, gain 3 power.
Noblesse Oblige - During the power phase, you may remove both gifts earned onto your Great Decree Heroquests so that you can perform your Great Decrees again. You also earn 1 VP and 1 rune, now. (When you re-earn gifts into your Great Decree slots, the gifts do not have to be the same ones as the first time.)
Call to Justice - During the council phase, select any unit on the map, and relocate it to Yelm's area. Units you pull out of Hell in this way do not need permission to leave.
Earth wrote:Harmonious - Your seven earth queens are each in the color of an enemy empire. When you summon the earth queen of the color of an opposing empire that is actually in the game, that earth queen is a unit under the control of that player for the entire game, and not you. Whenever that earth queen is in play during the council phase, you gain 1 power, and that player also gains 1 power. Your earth queens of the colors of empires not in the game are just normal units under your control with no special rules. (There are two ways to mark that an earth queen is under someone else's control -- one, give that player one of the seven earth queen cards, and two, put the provided ring of that player's color onto the Marriage card.)
Matrimony - Earth queens of the colors of opposing empires actually in the game go to those players' pools when they die and not yours. Those players resummon them (or not), and not you. (But note Earthtouch.)

Earth sets up with a shrine in Genert's Garden, and 6 power.

Earthtouch - When you place a temple or ziggurat, you must place for free an earth queen from any player's pool into any land area.

4 Axe Maidens (mortal minion) cost 1 combat 1
Behemoth, Mabel (mortal hero) cost 4 combat 4
7 Earth Queens (lesser gods) cost 2 combat (1, but 0 against you)

2 The Titans, Genert and Pamalt (greater gods) cost 4 combat 5
Twilight - If Genert or Pamalt are killed or eliminated, they are out of the game permanently.

Heroquests

Every player has at least 3 units on the map
Your ziggurat or titan survives a battle
----------
Two players have greater gods on the surface world
Place your ziggurat
----------
Summon a titan - gain 1 rune
Summon your other titan - gain 1 rune
----------

Gifts

Chastity - Your axe maidens that do not share an area with your heroes or gods have a combat of 2.
Extinction - Whenever units on either side are killed in a battle where Mabel was in the battle, earn 1 rune. If Mabel was killed, earn 2 more runes.
----------
Injunction - During the council phase, you may eliminate 1 earth queen, and earn 1 rune. You must do this before receiving power from Harmonious.
Ubiquitous - When you summon a unit, you may place it on any land area, whether you are present there or not.
----------
Pacifism - Once per game - Choose one side in a battle, even a battle you're not in. That side rolls 0 dice. Gain 1 rune. Then flip this gift face-down.
Quake - As an action that costs 1, rearrange your buildings on the map as you see fit. Each area that had your building must still have one when you are done.
Sea wrote:Submerge - Once per game - As an action that costs 0, place the Sunken Land tile over a land other than the Spike or Kylerela. That area is now sea for the rest of the game. Sea-crossing arrows connected to it are no longer valid. You also place any one of your units into that area for free, now, but the unit cannot be Magasta unless the Spike has been shattered.
Marine - You may not use sea-crossing arrows.

Sea sets up with a shrine in the Brown Sea and 6 power.

3 Temples (building) cost 2 (+ shrine) (or 1 + shrine after Magasta's Pool is in play) combat +1 rout
1 Ziggurat (building) cost 3 (+ temple) (or 2 + temple after Magasta's Pool is in play) combat +1 kill
Valor - Each of your temples adds 1 to total commitment during the Chaos Rift Struggle, and your ziggurat adds 2.

4 Mermaids (mortal minion) cost 1 combat 1
The Kraken (mortal hero) cost 3 combat 3
3 Sea Serpents (lesser god) cost 2 combat 1

The Churner, Magasta (greater god) cost 4 combat (1 if the Chaos Rift exists, 3 if Magasta's Pool exists)
You cannot summon Magasta until the Spike shatters.
The Mer-King - Each time you go, if your action originated in a sea, you may go again if you wish with another action originating in a sea.

Heroquests

Conquer a building in the Sky Dome or Hell, or destroy any building that costs 2 or more. Earn 1 rune
Place your ziggurat. Earn 1 rune
----------
The Chaos Rift is closed. Earn 1 rune. If Chaos is playing, you and Chaos now earn 1 more rune
No sea serpents are in your pool. Earn 1 rune
----------
The Chaos Rift is closed. Earn 1 rune
Summon Magasta. Earn 1 rune
----------

Gifts

Siren Song - Enemy players must spend 1 VP (in addition to the power cost) to move out of an area with a mermaid.
Drowning - Whenever an enemy loses units in a battle with the Kraken, that player loses 1 VP and you gain 1 VP.
Constrict - For every sea serpent you have in a battle, you may turn any two rolled routs (against either side) into a kill.
Aquatic - During the power phase, you gain power equal to the cost of any one building in any sea. If that building is a ziggurat, you also gain 1 rune.
Whirlpool - Whenever you reach 0 power, all opponents lose 1 power.
Tidal Surge - As an action that costs 2, select a sea adjacent to a land area. Relocate all units in that sea area into any adjacent land areas you wish.
Moon wrote:Lunar Cycle - As an action that costs 1, advance the Lunar Cycle. Any player may take this action.
(The Lunar Cycle tile has four phases that go in order in a wheel: Full Moon, Waning Half Moon, Dying Moon, and Waxing Half Moon. Advancing the Lunar Cycle means moving the lunar cycle marker one space along this wheel. The marker can never go backward.)

Moon sets up with a shrine on the Moon, and 6 power. You may start with the Lunar Cycle in any position you prefer.

Reaching Moon - Whenever your temple or ziggurat is placed on the map, you advance the Lunar Cycle one step.

4 Assassins (mortal minions) cost 1 combat (dying 0 half 1 full 2)
Crimson Bat (mortal hero) cost 3 combat (dying 1 half 3 full 5)
3 Selenes (lesser god) cost 2 combat (dying 0 half 1 full 2)

The Red Goddess, Sedenya (greater god) cost 4 combat (dying 1 half 3 full 5)
To summon Sedenya, you must have a temple or ziggurat in play.
Menses - Whenever Sedenya is in a battle, summon an assassin for free into the battle during pre-battle, or instead summon a Selene into the battle for free during post-battle.

Heroquests

The Lunar Cycle is at dying moon during the power phase. Gain 2 power
The Lunar Cycle is at half moon during the power phase. Gain 3 power
----------
The lunar cycle is at full moon during the power phase. Gain 4 power
Place your ziggurat
----------
No moon temples remain in your pool
Summon Sedenya
----------

Gifts

Mindblast - You may subtract the Crimon Bat's combat from the enemy instead of adding it to yours before rolling dice.
Madness - Whenever the Lunar Cycle moves to full, earn 1 rune if a Selene is in play. As long as no opponents are at 0 power, you also earn 1 power for every area containing a Selene.
Moonburn - When Sedenya is in play, as an action that costs 1, if it is half moon, destroy any one shrine or chaos nest. If it is full moon, destroy any one temple. Place that building in the Moonburn box. Return those buildings to their players' pools during the power phase. An owner may spend 1 power at any time to return the building early. You cannot use Moonburn on an enemy that already has a building the in Moonburn box.
Eclipse - Whenever you declare battle, advance the Lunar Cycle one step.
Adoption - As an action that costs 1, choose an area with enemy units. Swap the units of one empire there with your units in another area. Excess units are not swapped. You must pay an extra 1 power to relocate any enemy greater gods in this way.
Enslavement - Units routed by you are placed on the Slave tile. After taking an action, an opponent may pay you 1 power to rescue one own unit from the Slave tile onto one of their own buildings. That player may instead pay you 1 VP to rescue all their units. Units on the Slave tile still count as in play for effects.
The Invisible God wrote:The Wizard Gate - When moving, all areas containing your castles and towers are considered adjacent. (But not when you are routed.)
Ecumenicism - Enemies conquer your castles and towers as though they were temples. Enemy runes, gifts, and abilities that target temples may target your castles and towers.

The Invisible God empire sets up with either one castle or one tower on Brithos, with 6 power.

3 Castles (building) cost 2 combat (0, but +1 rout against minions)
3 Towers (building) cost 2 combat (0, but +1 rout against minions)

4 Knights (mortal minion) cost 1 combat (1 per castle in play)
4 Wizards (mortal minion) cost 2 combat (1 per tower in play)
4 Specters (lesser gods) cost 3 combat (3 when attacking, 1 when defending, 2 outside of battle)

Heroquests

Kill or eliminate an enemy mortal. Pay 1 power or 1 VP. If the mortal was a hero, gain 1 VP
A wizard is killed or eliminated. Pay 1 power or 1 VP
----------
Kill or eliminate an enemy god. Pay 1 power or 1 VP. If the god was a greater god, gain 1 VP
A knight is killed or eliminated. Pay 1 power or 1 VP
----------
Destroy an enemy building. Pay 1 power or 1 VP. If the building was a temple or ziggurat, gain 1 or 2 VP respectively
Your specter or building is killed, conquered, or destroyed. Pay 1 power or 1 VP
----------
Another player targets you with a gift. Pay 1 power or 1 VP
The Final Ritual - as an action that costs 0, flip all your gifts face-up
----------

Gifts

Sturdy Peasantry - This gift acts as an indestructible, off-map castle
Tapping - During the council phase, gain 1 power for each area containing a wizard. Then each opponent rolls a die. Each opponent rolling equal to or less than the power you just received loses 1 VP.
Magic Explosion - Pre-battle, you may select a specter in the battle and kill it. Add the specter's combat +2 to your combat total.
King's Blessing - During the council phase, build a castle or tower for free.
Divine Right - During the council phase, gain 1 rune. If 3 or more opponents have more VP than you, gain another rune.
Red Book of Power - Once per game - As an action that costs 0, summon a free specter at each of your towers. Then gain 1 rune and flip this face-down.
Brown Book of Commerce - Once per game - As an action that costs 0, earn 1 power for each tower in play, and then distribute the same amount of power among opponents as you choose. Then gain 1 rune and flip this face-down.
Blue Book of Sorcery - Once per game - As an action that costs 0, each player rolls a die. For each player, you may leave that die in front of that player. For each player and die you left, the next time that player would roll a die, that is what they rolled. Gain 1 rune now, and flip this face-down.

Juri
We're Knights of the Round Table
We attack each turn if able
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:09 am

Apparently Sandy Petersen worked on Doom, Age of Empires and Civ IV. That's some solid credits right there

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:26 pm

Yeah, and I think he made levels for Quake, too

mindwarped
slow me down
Isolationist

Post by mindwarped » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:23 pm

also
Spoiler!

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:27 pm

how wonderful!

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:00 pm

mindwarped wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:23 pm also
Spoiler!
lol

Skeletor
How'd you know that loving kittens is my one defining trait?
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:27 pm

Imagine a world in which the phrase “it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars” is used in place of both “hello” and “goodbye”
wow, [you]. that all sounds terrible. i hope it gets better for you

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:38 pm

It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars it's your turn in Cthulhu Wars by The Beatles wrote:You say it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars and I say it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars
I don't know why you say it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars, I say it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars
I don't know why you say it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars, I say it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars
I say high, you say low
You say why and I say I don't know, oh no
You say it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars and I say it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars
(It’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars) It’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars
(It’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars) I don't know why you say it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars, I say it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars
(It’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars) It’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars
(It’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars) I don't know why you say it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars
(It’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars) I say it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars/it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars
Why why why why why why do you say it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars, oh no?
You say yes (I say yes) I say no (But I may mean no)
You say stop (I can stay) and I say go go go (Till it's time to go), oh
Oh no
I don't know why you say it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars, I say it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars
Hela heba helloa
Hela heba helloa, cha cha cha
Hela heba helloa, wooo
Hela heba helloa, hela
Hela heba helloa, wooo

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:24 pm

"shalom" is hebrew for "hello", "goodbye", and "it’s your turn in Cthulhu Wars"
u gotta skate

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:44 am

in florida they have 40 different words for 'its your turn in cthulhu wars' and i think thats beautiful