POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Probably what *this* should be called.
User avatar
Dantes
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard
Posts: 5419
Joined: Aug 23, 2018

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Dantes » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:02 pm

Doug wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:00 pm
Oh also, no one should go to baseball games, because Covid, isn't that right
No one should go to baseball games because it's boring as fuck.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

User avatar
Doug
Mmm, planks and beams
Forum Elf
Posts: 13201
Joined: Aug 23, 2018

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Doug » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:12 pm

Dantes wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:02 pm
Doug wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:00 pm
Oh also, no one should go to baseball games, because Covid, isn't that right
No one should go to baseball games because it's boring as fuck.
Sounds like someone didn't get any peanuts or Cracker Jack
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

User avatar
ToadBrews
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot
Posts: 1533
Joined: Aug 28, 2018

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by ToadBrews » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:20 pm

Dantes wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:02 pm
Doug wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:00 pm
Oh also, no one should go to baseball games, because Covid, isn't that right
No one should go to baseball games because it's boring as fuck.
Finally, something we can both 100% agree on :hfive:

User avatar
Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Typewriter Monkey
Posts: 7705
Joined: Jun 13, 2018

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Rylinks » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:20 pm

baseball is great but also almost all the games i've gone to are a minor league team with like a 500 person seating

User avatar
Doug
Mmm, planks and beams
Forum Elf
Posts: 13201
Joined: Aug 23, 2018

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Doug » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:22 pm

In St. Louis it was a 15-minute walk to Cardinals games for me

It's fun if you actually go, not so much fun to watch on TV IMO
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

User avatar
ToadBrews
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot
Posts: 1533
Joined: Aug 28, 2018

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by ToadBrews » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:29 pm

Doug wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:22 pm
In St. Louis it was a 15-minute walk to Cardinals games for me

It's fun if you actually go, not so much fun to watch on TV IMO
It can be fun to go with a group and hang out and eat nachos and yell at the umps, but it's definitely not something I would do alone because I was into baseball. On the occasions I did go, I always took a book and didn't feel like I was missing much since if there was a triple or a home run or whatever the announcer would always be yelling about it by the time the batter made it one base in, so you could look up and watch and then wow, that sure was exciting, back to the book for another 20 minutes until the next somewhat interesting thing happens

User avatar
Ashenai
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard
Posts: 5091
Joined: May 29, 2019

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Ashenai » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:43 pm

This has been my experience with literally all non-combat sports

(Combat sports are different because dudes punching each other is inherently exciting)

User avatar
pterrus
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot
Posts: 1841
Joined: Sep 12, 2018

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by pterrus » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:43 pm

Yeah I heartily endorse going to AA games, drinking and stuffing one's face, it's a good night out in the summer.

User avatar
Dantes
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard
Posts: 5419
Joined: Aug 23, 2018

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Dantes » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:19 pm

Agree if any baseball could be said to be fun, it's triple A.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

User avatar
Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Typewriter Monkey
Posts: 7705
Joined: Jun 13, 2018

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Rylinks » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:21 pm

single A is where it's at

Image

User avatar
Skeletor
.
How'd you know that loving kittens is my one defining trait?
Sentient Keyboard
Posts: 5872
Joined: Sep 03, 2018

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Skeletor » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:20 pm

Remember when one of us tried to sneak hotdogs into the stadium, stuffed into our socks?
wow, [you]. that all sounds terrible. i hope it gets better for you

User avatar
Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf
Posts: 10019
Joined: Aug 24, 2018

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Crunchums » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:54 pm

my favorite is dodecA, but quintuple-A can be fun too
this post was made by Crunchums; beware the [ai] tag

User avatar
Dantes
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard
Posts: 5419
Joined: Aug 23, 2018

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Dantes » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:51 pm

I just had a holy mother of fuck moment.

The state’s use of force expert witness in the Chauvin trial has never previously testified in that capacity in any court at any level.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

User avatar
seathesee
groanomancer
Sentient Keyboard
Posts: 4249
Joined: Aug 23, 2018

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by seathesee » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:57 pm

Dantes wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:51 pm
The state’s use of force expert witness in the Chauvin trial has never previously testified in that capacity in any court at any level.
i think that arguably makes them more reliable.
have a nice day. :)

User avatar
Dantes
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard
Posts: 5419
Joined: Aug 23, 2018

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Dantes » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:59 am

seathesee wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:57 pm
Dantes wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:51 pm
The state’s use of force expert witness in the Chauvin trial has never previously testified in that capacity in any court at any level.
i think that arguably makes them more reliable.
I don't think that follows. This is a super high profile case that is supposedly murder on the face of it, and the only guy the prosecution could get has never testified about use of force before? If their case is as transparent as they say it is, they should have been able to get any number of solid use of force witnesses.

I think you should read a transcript of or watch the defense c-x, the guy sounded like a witness for the defense. The prosecution spent about an hour with him on the stand, part of which was establishing bona fides, the defense spent 90 minutes extracting all sorts of stuff with him.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

User avatar
Doug
Mmm, planks and beams
Forum Elf
Posts: 13201
Joined: Aug 23, 2018

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Doug » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:26 am

Why would an expert witness need to have testified before

It's expert witness, not expert testifier
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

User avatar
Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Typewriter Monkey
Posts: 7705
Joined: Jun 13, 2018

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Rylinks » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:28 am

if you have experience you might answer questions better on the stand

User avatar
Doug
Mmm, planks and beams
Forum Elf
Posts: 13201
Joined: Aug 23, 2018

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Doug » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:07 pm

New York state to give one-time $15,600 payment to illegal aliens…
https://money.yahoo.com/undocumented-wo ... 43128.html

That is very nice of them. If you know any undocumented workers, tell them they need to hurry up and go to New York
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

User avatar
Doug
Mmm, planks and beams
Forum Elf
Posts: 13201
Joined: Aug 23, 2018

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Doug » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:08 pm

Are you ready for the punchline


Around 92,000 workers would qualify for the first tier of the program, which provides $15,600 to undocumented workers who can meet strict eligibility requirements, according to the analysis.
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

User avatar
seathesee
groanomancer
Sentient Keyboard
Posts: 4249
Joined: Aug 23, 2018

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by seathesee » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:07 pm

Dantes wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:59 am
seathesee wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:57 pm
Dantes wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:51 pm
The state’s use of force expert witness in the Chauvin trial has never previously testified in that capacity in any court at any level.
i think that arguably makes them more reliable.
I don't think that follows. This is a super high profile case that is supposedly murder on the face of it, and the only guy the prosecution could get has never testified about use of force before? If their case is as transparent as they say it is, they should have been able to get any number of solid use of force witnesses.

I think you should read a transcript of or watch the defense c-x, the guy sounded like a witness for the defense. The prosecution spent about an hour with him on the stand, part of which was establishing bona fides, the defense spent 90 minutes extracting all sorts of stuff with him.
my thinking is that i, personally, would trust an expert that hasnt testified before more than a professional expert witness without knowing more. a professional expert is spending less time in their actual field (and more time testifying) and is more likely to be a mercenary for hire, saying whatever they are paid to.

im sure a professional expert witness is going to come off better on the stand, because they are practiced and are probably selected for that to some degree.
have a nice day. :)

User avatar
Dantes
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard
Posts: 5419
Joined: Aug 23, 2018

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Dantes » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:43 pm

Doug, you should read this. It’s about 302 and common carrier.

https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/what-s ... b-big-tech
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

User avatar
Doug
Mmm, planks and beams
Forum Elf
Posts: 13201
Joined: Aug 23, 2018

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Doug » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:43 am

Republicans like Hawley and Ted Cruz are understandably angry about the status quo, but they’ve latched onto the wrong remedy, Sacks says. “Conservative demands to repeal 230 are basically a rage tweet. It wouldn’t stop Big Tech censorship, it would make it worse,” he told me in a conversation this week. “Ending Section 230 would only make companies like Facebook and Google censor more because more liability would make them even more risk-averse about the speech they allow on their platforms. In the meantime, it would also hurt small, innovative tech companies who would be vulnerable to frivolous lawsuits.”
That's a bogus argument

If the big tech companies are utilities, then the small innovative tech companies are just like all those small, innovative utilities you get your electricity from -- nonexistent
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

User avatar
Dantes
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard
Posts: 5419
Joined: Aug 23, 2018

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Dantes » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:56 am

Doug wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:43 am
Republicans like Hawley and Ted Cruz are understandably angry about the status quo, but they’ve latched onto the wrong remedy, Sacks says. “Conservative demands to repeal 230 are basically a rage tweet. It wouldn’t stop Big Tech censorship, it would make it worse,” he told me in a conversation this week. “Ending Section 230 would only make companies like Facebook and Google censor more because more liability would make them even more risk-averse about the speech they allow on their platforms. In the meantime, it would also hurt small, innovative tech companies who would be vulnerable to frivolous lawsuits.”
That's a bogus argument

If the big tech companies are utilities, then the small innovative tech companies are just like all those small, innovative utilities you get your electricity from -- nonexistent
It’s not a perfect analogy.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

User avatar
Doug
Mmm, planks and beams
Forum Elf
Posts: 13201
Joined: Aug 23, 2018

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Doug » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:51 pm

Dantes wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:56 am
Doug wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:43 am
Republicans like Hawley and Ted Cruz are understandably angry about the status quo, but they’ve latched onto the wrong remedy, Sacks says. “Conservative demands to repeal 230 are basically a rage tweet. It wouldn’t stop Big Tech censorship, it would make it worse,” he told me in a conversation this week. “Ending Section 230 would only make companies like Facebook and Google censor more because more liability would make them even more risk-averse about the speech they allow on their platforms. In the meantime, it would also hurt small, innovative tech companies who would be vulnerable to frivolous lawsuits.”
That's a bogus argument

If the big tech companies are utilities, then the small innovative tech companies are just like all those small, innovative utilities you get your electricity from -- nonexistent
It’s not a perfect analogy.
Well I'm not ruling out making them utilities. It's just that protecting small business won't be the reason
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

User avatar
Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Typewriter Monkey
Posts: 7705
Joined: Jun 13, 2018

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Rylinks » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:56 pm

you should pass a law that gives the government unlimited ability to destroy large tech companies whenever they want and then use that as leverage to create a regulatory regime that advances your policy goals

this is how banking regulation works

User avatar
Shiny Days
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot
Posts: 1355
Joined: Feb 08, 2019

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Shiny Days » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:59 pm

if google was a bank it'd be boogle

User avatar
Ashenai
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard
Posts: 5091
Joined: May 29, 2019

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Ashenai » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:00 pm

if it was a traditional Jewish eatery it would be koogle

User avatar
Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Typewriter Monkey
Posts: 7705
Joined: Jun 13, 2018

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Rylinks » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:02 pm

like, there was no rule or law that prevented Hertz from selling worthless stock to retail investors, but the people at the SEC didn't like it, so they put a stop to it using 'problems with the paperwork' as a pretext

User avatar
Doug
Mmm, planks and beams
Forum Elf
Posts: 13201
Joined: Aug 23, 2018

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Doug » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:07 pm

Rylinks wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:56 pm
you should pass a law that gives the government unlimited ability to destroy large tech companies whenever they want and then use that as leverage to create a regulatory regime that advances your policy goals

this is how banking regulation works
I love this post

Why don't I marry it
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

User avatar
Dantes
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard
Posts: 5419
Joined: Aug 23, 2018

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Dantes » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:30 pm

Doug wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:51 pm
Dantes wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:56 am
Doug wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:43 am


That's a bogus argument

If the big tech companies are utilities, then the small innovative tech companies are just like all those small, innovative utilities you get your electricity from -- nonexistent
It’s not a perfect analogy.
Well I'm not ruling out making them utilities. It's just that protecting small business won't be the reason
No it won't be the reason, but it will be a supporting reason/benefit.

If they're classified as a common carrier and required to accept all legal traffic, they won't be able to shred smaller business ventures like Parler.

EDIT: That's actually kind of questionable. It really depends on how it might be implemented and who is covered. :shrug:
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

Post Reply