Probably what *this* should be called.
Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Re: snob music thread

Post by Crunchums » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:51 am

ooh https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... N0um7Onpkf
but my dude The Cardigans and Modest Mouse are not one-hit wonders >: 3
(ok i am watching the Float On video now and it was a fake-out; well played)
u gotta skate

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:18 am

Oh my goodness that's a lot of content

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:17 pm

I had Lovefool in my head this morning and it's your fault.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:35 pm

:smug:
u gotta skate

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:23 pm

I was thinking about how different my approach to piano is relative to how I learned cello. Back in the great long ago, I learned cello from day 1 by sight reading sheet music. That's just how they taught it. Then in concert you're more familiar with the piece, but you're still reading the music. It would have been absurd to suggest that I memorize the music.

But now with piano, I've fully memorized two thirds of a Beethoven sonata with multiple voices. I don't have the music in front of me when I play because it wouldn't even help, I can't sight read piano music. I am learning from the sheet music, but that's basically me saying, "Okay the next note is an F#, where the fuck is the F# key, okay there it is." It is slow and awful. I'm probably supposed to go get a book of beginner exercises and actually learn to sight read properly but that sounds godawful and boring and this is just supposed to be a fun hobby. But maybe it would be more fun in the future if I wasn't such a scrub that can't read music, you know? Blech.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:54 pm

my experience is that learning to play music by feel > learning to play by reading
still useful to be able to read things, but when i'm practicing i'm trying to teach my fingers the piece so that i don't have to read it anymore
and trying to figure out the notes by feel instead of by reading builds your fingers-brain sense of how to play a given note
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:55 pm

but also, i get that sheet music is the way that it is for reasons but i've always felt like it was made by someone who was deliberately trying to fuck with me
fortunately banjo/guitar tabs are very straightforward :P
u gotta skate

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:16 pm

It's definitely better to just be able to read music. With cello I can look at a piece of music for the first time and play it as I read, just like reading a book. This is the way.

I'm trying to come up with an analogy, and maybe it's like trying to read a book in Chinese by looking up every single character as you go. You may be able to get it eventually, but it would be agonizing. Long term you really gotta take a 101 level class and actually learn Chinese.

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:01 pm

i much prefer reading music so i can write everything down on the paper and not have to remember it

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:35 pm

Rylinks wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:01 pm i much prefer reading music so i can write everything down on the paper and not have to remember it
Are you talking about singing? Can you do intervals in your head? I definitely cannot sing by sight reading, but I'm pretty good at the trivia questions where they show you a snippet of sheet music and you have to name that tune.

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:38 pm

pterrus wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:35 pm
Rylinks wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:01 pm i much prefer reading music so i can write everything down on the paper and not have to remember it
Are you talking about singing? Can you do intervals in your head? I definitely cannot sing by sight reading, but I'm pretty good at the trivia questions where they show you a snippet of sheet music and you have to name that tune.
singing these days but it was the same when i played viola. I can do intervals in my head

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:27 pm

apparently spotify-free on phones has a bunch of random terrible things compared to spotify-free on real computers. finally, a company that shares my value of punishing people for doing things on phones instead of computers
u gotta skate

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:00 pm

Rylinks wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:38 pm
pterrus wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:35 pm
singing these days but it was the same when i played viola. I can do intervals in my head
OK but what about derivatives
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:25 am

doing derivatives in your head is securities fraud
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:19 am

i was listening to this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jLN8MQRQh0 for the first time just now and i feel like it sounds super similar to this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ1HPUZSIiE
does that register for anyone else?
u gotta skate

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:30 am

yes

i can't transcribe music, but the tunes in "all my friends are heathens take it slow" and in "don't go look at me with that look in your eye (I)" are very similar and both singers have a pretty electronic sound. they also both have talky sections

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:12 am

huzzah :)
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:16 am

making playlists is fun :P
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:12 am

u gotta skate

Luna
...but history refused to change

Post by Luna » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:20 pm

i don't want to come across as antagonistic or anything, i don't want to like rag on the video or whatever, but, like, the guy's premise is a little, uh, mmm. like, i don't think eifel sixty five or literally any euro pop dance band were trying, had the purpose of, or even thought they were making good lyrics. maybe we just know this because we're older and we lived through it, so you know like, we can remember shit like

i've been searching for a man, all across japan, just to find, find my samurai (yes i need my samurai)

or any scooter song, which, like, i think i'd die if i actually had to listen to any of that guy's stuff again, and this kid can't, and so maybe it's actually like a little bit of a fresh perspective sort of for somebody younger to be looking at the late 90s and going like, what the fuck were you guys listening to? look at these lyrics. but, like, they're ... fun? they're catchy lyrics. you were supposed to dance to them on drugs or the high of being out of the basement and being made to dance in front of strangers at an arcade

edit - if you walk without rhythm then you wont attract the worm. remember literally any fatboy slim?

Luna

Post by Luna » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:26 pm

also what the fuck is going on with like, so he has this neat premise right. hey it's the guy in the shadows. that's neat. but then like his profile is fucked up for some reason? like he's wearing a hoodie or a veil or something so his chin is connected to his torso and so he doesnt have a neck and i'm just watching the whole video like what the fuck is going on with this guy's profile

Luna

Post by Luna » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:37 pm

there's probably something to, like, vocals being an instrument, and so you know, you'd want to include that in a song, because it's a good sounding instrument. our brains respond really strongly to it. but then, like, we expect, because people are saying words that it make sense, but like, try telling me what the vocals are in this song that they actually got like a big deal singer to sing in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5uQMwRMHcs

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:35 pm

instant crush good song
u gotta skate

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:42 pm

Bach's dedication to the Brandenburg Concertos is the most brown nosed thing I have ever seen holy shit:
As I had the good fortune a few years ago to be heard by Your Royal Highness, at Your Highness's commands, and as I noticed then that Your Highness took some pleasure in the little talents which Heaven has given me for Music, and as in taking Leave of Your Royal Highness, Your Highness deigned to honour me with the command to send Your Highness some pieces of my Composition: I have in accordance with Your Highness's most gracious orders taken the liberty of rendering my most humble duty to Your Royal Highness with the present Concertos, which I have adapted to several instruments; begging Your Highness most humbly not to judge their imperfection with the rigour of that discriminating and sensitive taste, which everyone knows Him to have for musical works, but rather to take into benign Consideration the profound respect and the most humble obedience which I thus attempt to show Him.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:31 pm

one of these thumbnails is not like the other ones
u gotta skate

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:53 pm

Forget sea shanties, they need to bring back this shit:

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:48 pm

Opera staging is so weird. If an opera house wants to stage an opera, the music and lyrics are what they are. It would be blasphemy to alter what Verdi wrote, you know? But they do get an infinite degree of freedom in the set and costume design. This is how you get Rigoletto set in Las Vegas or Cosi Fan Tutte on Coney Island or whatever the fuck. Artists gotta art, and I guess they feel like they have to keep these 200 year old joints fresh.

But as an opera noob I'm not really into it. It doesn't need any freshening up for me because I've never seen it before! I want to see The Ring, but I want to see the regular ass Ring. I don't need to see Brunnhilde as Greta Thunberg in a t-shirt and sneakers. What the fuck, man.

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:04 pm

Silent movies are kinda like this, in that the accompanying music could be anything
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:05 pm

pterrus wrote:I want to see The Ring
don't die, pterrus
u gotta skate

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:43 pm

Crunchums wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:05 pm
pterrus wrote:I want to see The Ring
don't die, pterrus
Popping in the ring videotape, but it's all festooned like a Christmas wreath with colored lights and shit so I turn it off with disgust.