POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Probably what *this* should be called.
Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Doug » Wed May 04, 2022 11:50 pm

Aw that's sad

Rylinks is a real brain. He's not a fake brain like some people that you run into out there IRL
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed May 04, 2022 11:50 pm

Yoss wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:44 pm
Wumpy wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:31 pm maybe you should find a story that makes you happy instead of one that makes you miserable
Do you mean me? I don't think I'm miserable (I've been miserable in a given set of circumstances tho)
I don't think she meant you

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Wed May 04, 2022 11:51 pm

Yoss wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:46 pm
Rylinks wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:33 pm
Yoss wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:26 pm Dantes is someone who had a really fragile, uncertain concept of himself ~25 years ago and he formed a personality around a belief system based on this particular aesthetic of media that was ~just~ counterculture and edgy enough, with the proper dash of intellectualism that was contrarian to "elite" academia. Except, this is just a suit he likes to put on, and you can tell that's all it is, because he consistently baits people into "asking" for him to define it, even though they absolutely didn't. I can't even count how many times he's gone to that "if you don't know what I believe, you must not be paying attention" and then this is just a stepping stone to him explaining it again for the umpteenth time, regardless of whether the person actually asks or not.

There's also this thing where most of what he lists as defining his core beliefs is fiction. This is because humans like stories and they especially like stories they tell themselves that make them feel secure and safe. See, Dantes thinks of himself as a fallen, selfish creature, but he is redeemed by his intelligence. This is why he and Doug clash, even though they probably agree on a lot of political things. Doug gives zero fucks about intellectualism, even outright rejects it as amoral or anti-moral depending on the source, and he won't validate Dantes Pseudo-Intellectual, Libertarian, Above-the-Fray persona that he so desperately wants to embody. And it's such a lazy moral framework, because it reduces things he dislikes into easily digestible narratives of good and evil, avoiding nuance that would expose this rickety structure. When challenged in any way, after the first few stabs at asserting his childish worldview fail, he retreats into accusing the other person of bad faith and grandstands outrage until the subject has changed and the danger of being exposed passes.

It's apparent through this repetition of the same stock phrases, the go-to comparisons. The second he can't engage with an idea through these prepared, overused lenses of comic books, novels, or limited philosophy, he's unable to say anything original. Repeating yourself for 20+ years doesn't make you consistent, it makes you empty. Some people are very good at finding stories that make them feel happy and safe, so they cling to them to keep self-soothing, "It's okay, the narrative. Shh, the narrative, it's okay."

I think he's still a really fragile, uncertain person.
can you do one for me
The thing about acting like you never care about anything is that it makes you super boring. Maybe you think you're boring and do this on purpose so nobody can call you boring if you only post safe jokes? I dunno, it's not that worthwhile to think about.
not a bad shot yoss, thank you

Luna
...but history refused to change

Post by Luna » Wed May 04, 2022 11:52 pm

Yoss wrote:
You are just a little dumber than you think you are
oh no

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed May 04, 2022 11:56 pm

Luna wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:52 pm
Yoss wrote:
oh no
Everyone else is too

Luna

Post by Luna » Wed May 04, 2022 11:57 pm

Doug wrote:
Everyone else is too
everyone else we know has, like, a phd, doug

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Wed May 04, 2022 11:57 pm

Doug wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:50 pm Aw that's sad

Rylinks is a real brain. He's not a fake brain like some people that you run into out there IRL
Oh no, I agree that Rylinks is smart. He's just also boring. This isn't strictly a bad thing, even. Like, I value interesting (or weird) a lot more than most people, but most of the happiest people I know are boring.

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Wed May 04, 2022 11:57 pm

Yoss wrote:
oh no
okay maybe a lot dumber

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed May 04, 2022 11:58 pm

Luna wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:57 pm
Doug wrote:
Everyone else is too
everyone else we know has, like, a phd, doug
Both of my parents have PhDs, and let me tell you, they're not as smart as they think they are. But then maybe my attitude about them informs on my attitude about everyone else oh boy

Luna

Post by Luna » Wed May 04, 2022 11:58 pm

oh no x 2

Luna

Post by Luna » Wed May 04, 2022 11:59 pm

Doug wrote:
Both of my parents have PhDs, and let me tell you, they're not as smart as they think they are. But then maybe my attitude about them informs on my attitude about everyone else oh boy
this is that age old thing of what makes a person smart, or what represents being smart, like art. a lot of people who think they are smart might just have high intelligences, or the other way around. but then what's the distinction between smart / intelligent. i think the latter is like a brain's processing power.

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Thu May 05, 2022 12:00 am

Luna wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:59 pmwhat's the distinction between smart / intelligence

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu May 05, 2022 12:01 am

Luna wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:59 pm
Doug wrote:
this is that age old thing of what makes a person smart, or what represents being smart, like art. a lot of people who think they are smart might just have high intelligences, or the other way around. but then what's the distinction between smart / intelligence. i think the latter is like a brain's processing power.
The challenge is that there are many types of intelligence, or ways to be intelligent, and at the same time when someone is being judged as to how smart they are, only one way to be intelligent is being examined at that time

I told you the story about The Eagles, right

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Thu May 05, 2022 12:01 am

I mean, as I've become more educated, I've gone further and further from this idea of myself as a "smart person" (really, a smart kid, because that's what they told me when I was young and it was horrible being labeled smart) and feel really dumb about most things. I feel like I know enough about certain things to know that I don't know enough, and things I feel like I know enough, well, I'm suspicious of that

Dantes is easy to read because he's so loud about who he wants others to think he is which is basically the opposite of what he is

Although there is a tendency where people overcompensate so hard for their insecurities that they become a strength, but not when you regurgitate the same canned talking points for decades lol

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Thu May 05, 2022 12:02 am

Rylinks wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:00 am
Luna wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:59 pmwhat's the distinction between smart / intelligence
whew, close call

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Thu May 05, 2022 12:03 am

Yoss wrote:
Yoss wrote:
oh no
okay maybe a lot dumber
lol

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Thu May 05, 2022 12:03 am

Yoss wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:26 pm Dantes is someone who had a really fragile, uncertain concept of himself ~25 years ago and he formed a personality around a belief system based on this particular aesthetic of media that was ~just~ counterculture and edgy enough, with the proper dash of intellectualism that was contrarian to "elite" academia. Except, this is just a suit he likes to put on, and you can tell that's all it is, because he consistently baits people into "asking" for him to define it, even though they absolutely didn't. I can't even count how many times he's gone to that "if you don't know what I believe, you must not be paying attention" and then this is just a stepping stone to him explaining it again for the umpteenth time, regardless of whether the person actually asks or not.

There's also this thing where most of what he lists as defining his core beliefs is fiction. This is because humans like stories and they especially like stories they tell themselves that make them feel secure and safe. See, Dantes thinks of himself as a fallen, selfish creature, but he is redeemed by his intelligence. This is why he and Doug clash, even though they probably agree on a lot of political things. Doug gives zero fucks about intellectualism, even outright rejects it as amoral or anti-moral depending on the source, and he won't validate Dantes Pseudo-Intellectual, Libertarian, Above-the-Fray persona that he so desperately wants to embody. And it's such a lazy moral framework, because it reduces things he dislikes into easily digestible narratives of good and evil, avoiding nuance that would expose this rickety structure. When challenged in any way, after the first few stabs at asserting his childish worldview fail, he retreats into accusing the other person of bad faith and grandstands outrage until the subject has changed and the danger of being exposed passes.

It's apparent through this repetition of the same stock phrases, the go-to comparisons. The second he can't engage with an idea through these prepared, overused lenses of comic books, novels, or limited philosophy, he's unable to say anything original. Repeating yourself for 20+ years doesn't make you consistent, it makes you empty. Some people are very good at finding stories that make them feel happy and safe, so they cling to them to keep self-soothing, "It's okay, the narrative. Shh, the narrative, it's okay."

I thought you were supposed to be good at creative writing?
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

Luna

Post by Luna » Thu May 05, 2022 12:03 am

Doug wrote:
The challenge is that there are many types of intelligence, or ways to be intelligent, and at the same time when someone is being judged as to how smart they are, only one way to be intelligent is being examined at that time

i'm like the opposite of this in that i think that's just smart. like, you can street smart. you can only be intelligent in one way. the speed in which you can understand / figure stuff out. you might even be bad at expressing that, but that doesn't then mean that you're not intelligent

the band the eagles?

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Thu May 05, 2022 12:04 am

Anyway, the supreme court is clownshoes and also lmao liberals have NO idea how our government is supposed to work

conservatives also seem to not understand but only pay attention when it impacts one of their stupid pet hate-topics, and then they are just pro-thing or anti-thing, as it pushes the hate-topic.

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Thu May 05, 2022 12:05 am

Dantes wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:03 am

This is the kind of dig that would work on you :rofl:

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Thu May 05, 2022 12:06 am

You can be both smart and dumb

No, I'm not interested in defining these terms

Luna

Post by Luna » Thu May 05, 2022 12:07 am

right just like you can be dumb and intelligent

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu May 05, 2022 12:12 am

Luna wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:03 am
Doug wrote:

i'm like the opposite of this in that i think that's just smart. like, you can street smart. you can only be intelligent in one way. the speed in which you can understand / figure stuff out. you might even be bad at expressing that, but that doesn't then mean that you're not intelligent

the band the eagles?
Yeah

Didn't I tell that story

Guy grows up only listening to country music. He might have heard a rock song here and there in someone's car, or used in a movie, but he didn't listen to it. He can't even name the Beatles.

This guy finds himself hanging out with you and your friends. You listen to rock music. You decide, hey, Walters here only listened to country music growing up, as long as we're listening to rock music, let's try to find some music he might like.

So you play ... Bob Seger. He thinks that's pretty good! You play Jackson Browne. Eh, he's not as impressed with that. You play Joan Baez and Bob Denver (it turns out he knew about him) and Jim Croce and some other singer-songwriters. You play all these kinds of things for him.

Then, you play The Eagles. The first song on the first album by the Eagles is their big hit, "Take It Easy." Your new friend says oh that's pretty damn good for sure. He says, you know this kind of reminds me of that Jackson Browne guy you played earlier.

Spoiler!
JACKSON BROWNE WROTE "TAKE IT EASY" FOR THE EAGLES.

Show me the IQ test that tests for that

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Thu May 05, 2022 12:19 am

Yoss wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:05 am
Dantes wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:03 am

This is the kind of dig that would work on you :rofl:
You’re right, that was a cheap shot and I apologize for it.

I don’t know why you feel the need to play amateur psychologist about me, I don’t think I’ve done anything to deserve it. But if I have done something inappropriate that earned your ire, I apologize for that as well.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Thu May 05, 2022 12:23 am

Milosz wrote:He was a close friend of mine, and memories of many difficult moments that we went through together tie us to each other. I find it hard to remain unmoved when I recall him. I even ask myself if I should subject him to this analysis. But I shall do so because friendship would not prevent me from writing an article on his books in which I would say more or less what I shall say here.

Wumpy
uuuuuuuuuUUUUUU
Cardboard Robot

Post by Wumpy » Thu May 05, 2022 12:27 am

Rylinks wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:23 am
Milosz wrote:He was a close friend of mine, and memories of many difficult moments that we went through together tie us to each other. I find it hard to remain unmoved when I recall him. I even ask myself if I should subject him to this analysis. But I shall do so because friendship would not prevent me from writing an article on his books in which I would say more or less what I shall say here.

Blissful
"I don’t believe that we will lose life or have to discard cards ourselves."
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Thu May 05, 2022 12:30 am

Do I post enough to get one of these?

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Thu May 05, 2022 12:31 am

Wumpy wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:27 am Image
I immediately had this exact thought too lol

Wumpy
uuuuuuuuuUUUUUU
Cardboard Robot

Post by Wumpy » Thu May 05, 2022 12:32 am

Blissful wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:31 am
Wumpy wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:27 am Image
I immediately had this exact thought too lol
i was worried someone else might post it before me so i was frantically digging through my imgur

it was on like page 32 or something

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Thu May 05, 2022 12:34 am

Rylinks wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:32 pm
Wumpy wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:31 pm maybe you should find a story that makes you happy instead of one that makes you miserable
no
lol