"I don’t believe that we will lose life or have to discard cards ourselves."
Sentient Keyboard

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Blissful » Thu May 05, 2022 12:35 am

Wumpy wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:32 am
Blissful wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:31 am
Wumpy wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:27 am Image
I immediately had this exact thought too lol
i was worried someone else might post it before me so i was frantically digging through my imgur

it was on like page 32 or something
o7 :clopspatriot:

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Thu May 05, 2022 1:32 am

Dantes wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:19 am
Yoss wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:05 am
Dantes wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:03 am
Yoss wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:26 pm Dantes is someone who had a really fragile, uncertain concept of himself ~25 years ago and he formed a personality around a belief system based on this particular aesthetic of media that was ~just~ counterculture and edgy enough, with the proper dash of intellectualism that was contrarian to "elite" academia. Except, this is just a suit he likes to put on, and you can tell that's all it is, because he consistently baits people into "asking" for him to define it, even though they absolutely didn't. I can't even count how many times he's gone to that "if you don't know what I believe, you must not be paying attention" and then this is just a stepping stone to him explaining it again for the umpteenth time, regardless of whether the person actually asks or not.

There's also this thing where most of what he lists as defining his core beliefs is fiction. This is because humans like stories and they especially like stories they tell themselves that make them feel secure and safe. See, Dantes thinks of himself as a fallen, selfish creature, but he is redeemed by his intelligence. This is why he and Doug clash, even though they probably agree on a lot of political things. Doug gives zero fucks about intellectualism, even outright rejects it as amoral or anti-moral depending on the source, and he won't validate Dantes Pseudo-Intellectual, Libertarian, Above-the-Fray persona that he so desperately wants to embody. And it's such a lazy moral framework, because it reduces things he dislikes into easily digestible narratives of good and evil, avoiding nuance that would expose this rickety structure. When challenged in any way, after the first few stabs at asserting his childish worldview fail, he retreats into accusing the other person of bad faith and grandstands outrage until the subject has changed and the danger of being exposed passes.

It's apparent through this repetition of the same stock phrases, the go-to comparisons. The second he can't engage with an idea through these prepared, overused lenses of comic books, novels, or limited philosophy, he's unable to say anything original. Repeating yourself for 20+ years doesn't make you consistent, it makes you empty. Some people are very good at finding stories that make them feel happy and safe, so they cling to them to keep self-soothing, "It's okay, the narrative. Shh, the narrative, it's okay."

I think he's still a really fragile, uncertain person.
I thought you were supposed to be good at creative writing?
This is the kind of dig that would work on you :rofl:
You’re right, that was a cheap shot and I apologize for it.

I don’t know why you feel the need to play amateur psychologist about me, I don’t think I’ve done anything to deserve it. But if I have done something inappropriate that earned your ire, I apologize for that as well.
No need for an apology, I'm okay. Did that come off like ire? I don't feel like I have ire at the moment. I do think there's something useful in the bit about how you and Doug clash, but that wasn't exactly the main point of my post.

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Thu May 05, 2022 1:34 am

Blissful wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:30 am Do I post enough to get one of these?
I think you're a tad too aloof and maybe I'm a tad too biased in your favor, but I'm suspicious of how well-adjusted and happy you seem. :lol:

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Thu May 05, 2022 1:40 am

Anyway, I've been only really reading news articles and twitter for months, but I'm burned out from the recent dogshit elon musk takes and now the dogshit roe v wade takes. It is exhausting just to see people in this perpetual frenzy of "the world is ending" energy.

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Thu May 05, 2022 1:42 am

Yoss wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:49 pm
Luna wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:38 pm
Rylinks wrote:
can you do one for me
ooo, me too
You are just a little dumber than you think you are and then seem to have gotten more and more resentful over the years. I have a hard time with conflating the you I used to know with you are now.
ok im next. hold nothing back

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Thu May 05, 2022 1:43 am

Doug wrote:Aw that's sad

Rylinks is a real brain. He's not a fake brain like some people that you run into out there IRL
we were talking about this on discord and i think rylinks is established as second best brain

Wumpy
uuuuuuuuuUUUUUU
Cardboard Robot

Post by Wumpy » Thu May 05, 2022 1:50 am

i have the best brain

it is in mint condition, never used

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Thu May 05, 2022 1:51 am

Yoss wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:32 am

No need for an apology, I'm okay. Did that come off like ire? I don't feel like I have ire at the moment. I do think there's something useful in the bit about how you and Doug clash, but that wasn't exactly the main point of my post.
It certainly came off as personal. We haven’t interacted in almost two years. The last time was a particularly contentious PM. Then you blaze in here out of nowhere and offer up some fairly insulting analysis that reduces me to some sort of an aging parrot.

How else should I react to that?

I mean, we aren’t friends. You’re certainly not someone who really knows the first damned thing about me. We’ve met IRL one time and played a single board game. We’ve never had any kind of meaningful conversations. The few times I’ve tried to interact in any kind of way where we might learn more about each other, it’s gone badly and from your side to boot.

And now you just decided to shit all over me out of nowhere. So yeah, I feel like there’s a really good chance that there’s some ire in play here.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Thu May 05, 2022 1:53 am

Khaos wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:42 am
Rylinks wrote:
can you do one for me
ooo, me too
You are just a little dumber than you think you are and then seem to have gotten more and more resentful over the years. I have a hard time with conflating the you I used to know with you are now.
Like, it's fun to guess and share mental profiles, but the truth is that I don't have enough info to make good a mental model. A lot of y'all don't really talk about your worldview and values that much. Or, at least, not to my recollection.

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Thu May 05, 2022 1:54 am

Dantes wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:51 am

It certainly came off as personal. We haven’t interacted in almost two years. The last time was a particularly contentious PM. Then you blaze in here out of nowhere and offer up some fairly insulting analysis that reduces me to some sort of an aging parrot.

I mean, we aren’t friends. You’re certainly not someone who really knows the first damned thing about me. We’ve met IRL one time and played a single board game. We’ve never had any kind of meaningful conversations. The few times I’ve tried to interact in any kind of way where we might learn more about each other, it’s gone badly and from your side to boot.

And now you just decided to shit all over me out of nowhere. So yeah, I feel like there’s a really good chance that there’s some ire in play here.
You said you were sorry but I don't think you were really sorry

Anyway, I still don't really care if you are or aren't

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Thu May 05, 2022 2:01 am

Yoss wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:54 am
Dantes wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:51 am

You said you were sorry but I don't think you were really sorry

Anyway, I still don't really care if you are or aren't

I am sorry.

I shouldn’t have let myself react that badly. And, if I said something in the past that set you off I am sorry about that as well. I certainly would have preferred not to have had any of these interactions this evening. If I did something that triggered them I’d love to be able to take it back.

I can’t though. I don’t even know what I might have done.

I’d rather just offer an apology for having set you off, and offer a heart felt hope that we never have any interactions, of any kind, ever again.

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu May 05, 2022 2:06 am

Yoss wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:40 am Anyway, I've been only really reading news articles and twitter for months, but I'm burned out from the recent dogshit elon musk takes and now the dogshit roe v wade takes. It is exhausting just to see people in this perpetual frenzy of "the world is ending" energy.
Magic is dying
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Thu May 05, 2022 2:08 am

Yoss wrote:
Rylinks wrote:
can you do one for me
ooo, me too
Like, it's fun to guess and share mental profiles, but the truth is that I don't have enough info to make good a mental model. A lot of y'all don't really talk about your worldview and values that much. Or, at least, not to my recollection.
wow that was hardly insulting, 0/5

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu May 05, 2022 2:15 am

Khaos wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:08 am
Yoss wrote:
Rylinks wrote:
can you do one for me
ooo, me too
wow that was hardly insulting, 0/5
Ha ha you were too mysterious and now you have to die never knowing whom you yourself were

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Thu May 05, 2022 2:17 am

i just need to make another twelve thousand posts

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu May 05, 2022 2:19 am

Well duh

Luna
...but history refused to change

Post by Luna » Thu May 05, 2022 2:20 am

we could slide khaos facts into the post titles somewhere in the 20,000s

Wumpy
uuuuuuuuuUUUUUU
Cardboard Robot

Post by Wumpy » Thu May 05, 2022 2:32 am

arti chuckled. "You mean the Khaos emeralds?"

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu May 05, 2022 2:45 am

CNBC wrote:Major companies, including Disney and Walmart, keep largely silent as leaked Supreme Court abortion draft sparks outrage
It's oh

so quiet

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Thu May 05, 2022 3:04 am

Doug wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:45 am
CNBC wrote:Major companies, including Disney and Walmart, keep largely silent as leaked Supreme Court abortion draft sparks outrage
It's oh

so quiet
That is kind of an incredible quote.

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Thu May 05, 2022 3:12 am

Dantes: after 20 years of posting together you're a fucking idiot if you don't know my worldview and philosophical positions

also Dantes: YOU DON'T KNOW ME BRO

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Thu May 05, 2022 3:26 am

Yoss wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:12 am Dantes: after 20 years of posting together you're a fucking idiot if you don't know my worldview and philosophical positions

Yeah.

Doug and I have posted together regularly for twenty years. You and I have not. You show up about once every six months or so, post for a day or two, and then rage out. You haven’t put in any kind of time to actually know me.

:shrug:

Luna

Post by Luna » Thu May 05, 2022 3:32 am

it's crazy to think but i have actually been posting with dantes for more than twenty years

Luna

Post by Luna » Thu May 05, 2022 3:33 am

misetings was 2003 ([messageboard] created in 2002, right?), so we're like six months away from like most of us having had posted with each other for 20 years

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Thu May 05, 2022 3:34 am

Dantes wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:26 am
Yoss wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:12 am Dantes: after 20 years of posting together you're a fucking idiot if you don't know my worldview and philosophical positions

Yeah.

Doug and I have posted together regularly for twenty years. You and I have not. You show up about once every six months or so, post for a day or two, and then rage out. You haven’t put in any kind of time to actually know me.

:shrug:
1) It has been almost 20 years, I was on Tings/ML around... 2005? 2006? Maybe it's more like 15 years, w/e

2) My posting a lot less has been in the last couple years, and coincided with a lot of the people I liked a lot gradually moving on (grak, rm). I've been posting semi-regularly in threads that interest me still, but I guess if it isn't in front of you, then it doesn't exist

3) I've battled severe anger and depression problems my whole life. In the last few years, there has been shit going on in my personal life that meant I was much more irritable than I wanted to be, and that meant needing to realize when it getting out of hand and stepping away. I had a huge chunk of stress come off in the last week or two and now have a lot more patience for dumbfucks.

4) You've said the same "you should know me better" garbage to lots of people, many of which probably haven't posted on the same boards as you for as long as I have

5) Doug actually doesn't "know" you so like wtf are you even talking about

6) You can stop interacting with me whenever you want

7) bonus point because I like seven

Luna

Post by Luna » Thu May 05, 2022 3:34 am

twenty years of history and hey you didnt think this picture of children in cages from the obama administration when no one gave a shit about that was a big deal when cnn used it during the other guy's administration so we're not friends anymore

Luna

Post by Luna » Thu May 05, 2022 3:35 am

Yoss wrote:
1) It has been almost 20 years, I was on Tings/ML around... 2005? 2006? Maybe it's more like 15 years, w/e
d00d, magic lampoon was 2006

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Thu May 05, 2022 3:35 am

Luna wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:34 am twenty years of history and hey you didnt think this picture of children in cages from the obama administration when no one gave a shit about that was a big deal when cnn used it during the other guy's administration so we're not friends anymore
oh man who said that sounds like an asshole

Luna

Post by Luna » Thu May 05, 2022 3:36 am

wait, maybe that was ... 2007? how long have we been here. the unfuckening was like 2004/5. i think fucking brown misetings 2 might have even been 2006. maybe 7

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Thu May 05, 2022 3:37 am

Luna wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:35 am
Yoss wrote:
d00d, magic lampoon was 2006
I was on Tings for a bit before ML, I think? Man, that feels like a LONG time ago. Could have been 2007, even. I don't think that changes anything about Dantes point being dumb, but sure.