POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Probably what *this* should be called.
Luna
...but history refused to change
...but history refused to change

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Luna » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:24 am

No government, politician, or man should tell a woman what she can and cannot do with her body. I want women in Canada to know that we will always stand up for your right to choose.
eye (I) twitching

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:49 am

Yoss wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:07 pm Marjorie Taylor Green is an actual insane piece of shit
I hate the that we as a culture seem to be just fine with calling people pieces of shit. It’s incredibly dehumanizing.

I would agree that she is pretty damned insane though.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:53 am

Rylinks wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:45 am

i finished reading the dissent and if a majority wanted they could file the serial numbers off and issue it as a majority opinion. Its a pretty fundamentally different view that explicitly rejects the historical approach in the majority, so it doesn't really matter how cut and dried alito's historical analysis or reasoning is.
I get that, what I’m asking is how does a case even get to SCOTUS?

Alito’s opinion is controlling and so damned simple that a J school grad couldn’t fuck it up. It says that abortion belongs to the political process. How does a lower court find room to work around that?

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:54 am

Dantes wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:53 am

i finished reading the dissent and if a majority wanted they could file the serial numbers off and issue it as a majority opinion. Its a pretty fundamentally different view that explicitly rejects the historical approach in the majority, so it doesn't really matter how cut and dried alito's historical analysis or reasoning is.

Alito’s opinion is controlling and so damned simple that a J school grad couldn’t fuck it up. It says that abortion belongs to the political process. How does a lower court find room to work around that?
they don't, they say 'binding scotus precednt requires us to uphold this law' and then someone appeals

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:00 am

Rylinks wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:54 am

they don't, they say 'binding scotus precednt requires us to uphold this law' and then someone appeals
And the appeal gets slapped down at the next level.

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:03 am

Dantes wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:00 am
Rylinks wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:54 am

And the appeal gets slapped down at the next level.
yeah and then they appeal to scotus and then scotus has their case if they want it

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:13 pm

Dantes wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:49 am
Yoss wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:07 pm Marjorie Taylor Green is an actual insane piece of shit
I hate the that we as a culture seem to be just fine with calling people pieces of shit. It’s incredibly dehumanizing.

I would agree that she is pretty damned insane though.
I try to reserve for those who truly deserve it.

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:10 pm

The thing is, it doesnt matter if Marjorie Taylor Greene is "insane" because it's Big Tent Time, right, Democrats
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:22 am

seathesee wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:00 pm
Rylinks wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:55 pmif this is what lets state governments escape the establishment clause holdings, it will be the unwritten constitution prevailing over the parts of the constitution that are merely written down
sure. do you think anti-discrimination language would not give the law a chance of overcoming strict scrutiny?
it turns out Maine actually did this:
Let’s start with the Carson case. Anticipating this week’s decision, Maine lawmakers enacted a crucial amendment to the state’s anti-discrimination law last year in order to counteract the expected ruling. The revised law forbids discrimination based on gender identity and sexual orientation, and it applies to every private school that chooses to accept public funds, without regard to religious affiliation.
i think i need to walk back my initial reaction a bit here--i was thinking more of masterpiece cakeshop or like, maine applying antidiscrimination law whether schools accept funds or not--conditioning funds on it is whatever

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:06 am

the amount of people crying in slack about company leadership not publicly announcing their support for abortion is exhausting. also a lot of "I can't even work I'm so upset"

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:30 am

having large general chat rooms at companies always seemed bonkers to me but maybe i'm just antisocial

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:55 am

Rylinks wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:30 am having large general chat rooms at companies always seemed bonkers to me but maybe i'm just antisocial
Posting in large company chat rooms always seemed bonkers to me.

It’s like these people have no inner lives. They have no separation between the public and the private. Moreover when they aren’t perfectly aligned there’s something akin to cognitive dissonance.

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:31 am

sometimes I post in a large work chat room to show pictures of my dog. the world needs to know

Wumpy
uuuuuuuuuUUUUUU
Cardboard Robot

Post by Wumpy » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:30 am

there is no better reason

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:40 pm

haplo wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:06 am the amount of people crying in slack about company leadership not publicly announcing their support for abortion is exhausting. also a lot of "I can't even work I'm so upset"
I don't think we have an official position (on anything)

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:46 pm

Doug wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:40 pm
haplo wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:06 am the amount of people crying in slack about company leadership not publicly announcing their support for abortion is exhausting. also a lot of "I can't even work I'm so upset"
What the fuck!?!? How can you tolerate working in an organization that is not actively working to dismantle the patriarchal systems of oppression that are strangling our democracy?

Do better.

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:17 pm

this has got to be the biggest epidemic of telling-on-self in our nations history
with love, your good friend, seathesee

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:35 pm

Dantes wrote:
What the fuck!?!? How can you tolerate working in an organization that is not actively working to dismantle the patriarchal systems of oppression that are strangling our democracy?

Do better.
actually today it's "the silence continues to deafen"

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:59 pm

haplo wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:35 pm
Dantes wrote:

Do better.
I'm glad to see them burn through these so quickly. The English language only supports so many stark simplistic declarations of moral superiority.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:02 pm

haplo wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:35 pm
Dantes wrote:

Do better.
:rofl:

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:30 pm

My company takes a stance on things very rarely. Other than the usual corporate diversity/LGBT support the only thing I can remember them taking a stance on was January 6. They sent out a company wide email and it was very surprising to see.

I guess they have also taken the typical establishment position on pandemic stuff like masking and vaccination but it's arguable whether that counts as political.

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:25 pm

today's consensus: "Truly, how can I recruit any woman, trans or non-binary individual that can have children to my team at this point" on the company's decision to not make a public statement supporting abortion

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:26 pm

should I get politicians to change laws? no, I should post in the work chat room about it

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:38 pm

When you have a family.jpg
When you have a family.jpg (38.27 KiB) Viewed 4168 times

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:59 pm

I'm sure that Amazon is going to get right on ceasing to do business in states

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:13 pm

I wonder how effective that would even be. How many people are gonna be like, well, I'm against killing babies but I also really like shopping for cheap chinese shit online, what a dilemma.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:40 pm

And thus begat the Amazon Wars, wherein Amazon ceased to do business in states with abortion restrictions, but then church groups offered a service where they would order your Amazon purchases for you from abortion-legal states and then reship you your packages

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:53 pm

For real though, I wonder how common abortion vacations are going to be. A significant number of people used to fly out to Colorado just to smoke weed, so I would naively expect this to drive a lot of travel.

KingRamz
We are not amused.
Cardboard Robot

Post by KingRamz » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:04 pm

Amazon already announced that their health plan will cover medical travel expenses for employees working in states where abortion is banned. They actually announced it when the opinion was leaked and reaffirmed it when it became official.

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:18 pm

many companies have, either because they believe it's the right thing to do or because it's cheaper than maternity benefits