POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Probably what *this* should be called.
Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by Doug » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:01 pm

RawMeat wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:59 pm I watched about 15 minutes of better call saul not realizing I'd toggled on "audio description", maybe that's what happened.
Oh wow what kind of voice was it

Was it British
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:38 pm

Doug wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:57 pm As Joe Biden was entering the Capitol building, he said "Salute the Marines" out loud

Spoiler!
Someone in his earpiece tells him what to do and say. When this person told Biden to salute the Marines, he thought they were telling him to say it
if i were president there's a zero percent chance i would be bothered to go to a rehearsal or whatever. but that is funny

OroIguana
Positing Virus
Positing Virus

Post by OroIguana » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:35 pm

Politics
right around baby
right around baby
779721419570806794.gif (34.31 KiB) Viewed 508 times
Text below attachment

OroIguana
Positing Virus
Positing Virus

Post by OroIguana » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:36 pm

*salutes marines*

ToadBrews
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by ToadBrews » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:32 pm

OroIguana wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:36 pm *salutes marines*

Skeletor
How'd you know that loving kittens is my one defining trait?
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:52 pm

The president isn't actually supposed to salute are they. I mean don't you salute superiors and not the other way
wow, [you]. that all sounds terrible. i hope it gets better for you

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:59 pm

Skeletor wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:52 pm The president isn't actually supposed to salute are they. I mean don't you salute superiors and not the other way
The superior returns the salute

RawMeat
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by RawMeat » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:21 pm

Doug wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:59 pm
Skeletor wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:52 pm The president isn't actually supposed to salute are they. I mean don't you salute superiors and not the other way
Only if it's a foreign dictator's military. Otherwise you just point your coffee at them.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:24 pm

RawMeat wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:21 pm
Only if it's a foreign dictator's military. Otherwise you just point your coffee at them.
Really classy bitches do a snap and finger gun.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

RawMeat
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by RawMeat » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:25 pm

Dantes wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:24 pm
RawMeat wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:21 pm

Really classy bitches do a snap and finger gun.
Fingerbang those generals!

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:17 pm

Doug wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:42 pm
Ashenai wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:40 pm seems definitely less weird than making every presidential address a superspreader event and having potus go to the hospital because he's too stupid to understand how a pandemic works
Now the presidential addresses are only superspreader events for the tens of thousands of soldiers who have militarized D.C.
Welp, I called it.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:40 pm

Paul Joseph Watson wrote:There have been over 14,000 Covid deaths since Joe Biden took office on Wednesday. Biden is personally responsible for every single one of them. Hey you made the rules, not me.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:08 pm

Josh Holmes, the Mitch McConnell acolyte who defends him with the sleek loyalty of Grima Wormtongue with a full Windsor, called me a dipshit the other day for reporting a quote from a deputy chief of staff for a U.S. senator. I don’t take it personally, but I do think it’s indicative that McConnell world is a bit on tilt at the moment. Having been such a failure this cycle even as the House Republicans performed so impressively can’t feel good. The McConnell folks were all projecting confidence about the two Georgia seats, saying the $2,000 stimulus checks both candidates supported were unnecessary, building up the amazing ground game and effectiveness of the most expensive advertising blitz in the history of the U.S. Senate — so to have their effort turn into such an embarrassing disaster has to have them feeling a bit defensive.

Now comes McConnell’s impeachment effort, as effective and well-thought as his filibuster defense effort, and it is already looking like an embarrassing and risky bit of 4D chess. His acolytes are already depicting this as being some kind of redo of Tea Party crazies versus the establishment. It’s obviously nothing of the kind. Graham, Scott, Scott, Cotton, Rubio, Paul, Lee, Johnson, Hawley, Cruz, Ernst, Kennedy, Risch, Cramer, and Cornyn are all on the same side here: This impeachment is vindictive, unserious, and constitutionally dubious, in addition to being politically suicidal with small-dollar donors and the only path to making Donald Trump form a third party. This position is obviously true, and disputing it requires you to twist your brain in such a way that you end up as Mitt Romney. Nobody wants that.
https://thefederalist.com/2021/01/25/wh ... -thinking/

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:31 pm

Doug wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:08 pm
Josh Holmes, the Mitch McConnell acolyte who defends him with the sleek loyalty of Grima Wormtongue with a full Windsor, called me a dipshit the other day for reporting a quote from a deputy chief of staff for a U.S. senator. I don’t take it personally, but I do think it’s indicative that McConnell world is a bit on tilt at the moment. Having been such a failure this cycle even as the House Republicans performed so impressively can’t feel good. The McConnell folks were all projecting confidence about the two Georgia seats, saying the $2,000 stimulus checks both candidates supported were unnecessary, building up the amazing ground game and effectiveness of the most expensive advertising blitz in the history of the U.S. Senate — so to have their effort turn into such an embarrassing disaster has to have them feeling a bit defensive.

Now comes McConnell’s impeachment effort, as effective and well-thought as his filibuster defense effort, and it is already looking like an embarrassing and risky bit of 4D chess. His acolytes are already depicting this as being some kind of redo of Tea Party crazies versus the establishment. It’s obviously nothing of the kind. Graham, Scott, Scott, Cotton, Rubio, Paul, Lee, Johnson, Hawley, Cruz, Ernst, Kennedy, Risch, Cramer, and Cornyn are all on the same side here: This impeachment is vindictive, unserious, and constitutionally dubious, in addition to being politically suicidal with small-dollar donors and the only path to making Donald Trump form a third party. This position is obviously true, and disputing it requires you to twist your brain in such a way that you end up as Mitt Romney. Nobody wants that.
That's called begging the question.

He needs to actually make the argument for why the impeachment is vindictive, unserious, and constitutionally dubious.

Of the three of them, the only one that is obviously true is the constitutionally dubious one, and that's because Trump is out of office. If he weren't, it wouldn't be constitutionally dubious at all. And sure, while the history of impeachment suggests that the Senate normally disposes of the trial for people who are already gone, the Senators can do whatever the hell they want as they literally write the rules.

And there's no way in hell that SCOTUS is going to overturn that, let alone hear it. Hell, Roberts won't even preside over the trial.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:33 pm

Dantes wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:31 pm
Doug wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:08 pm

He needs to actually make the argument for why the impeachment is vindictive, unserious, and constitutionally dubious.
Nah it's obvious

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:33 pm

Dantes wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:31 pm If he weren't, it wouldn't be constitutionally dubious at all.
Well, right

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:36 pm

Doug wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:33 pm
Dantes wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:31 pm

Nah it's obvious
It really isn't dude. The only thing working in his favor here is the timing. If this had happened almost another other time than about two weeks before he was gone, it would be a vital question that had to be addressed. As it is, as conservatives, if we're against rioting in state capitals, we have an obligation and duty to consistently apply those principals when our nominal team does the same thing.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:38 pm

Dantes wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:36 pm If this had happened almost another other time than about two weeks before he was gone, it would be a vital question that had to be addressed.
You mean, because Trump would still be president

Yes, the entire hilarity of the issue is that they're "impeaching" the "president," if you know what I mean

You're saying, if the essential thing that makes it stupid weren't the case, then it'd be totally different. Well yes

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:40 pm

Dantes wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:36 pm As it is, as conservatives, if we're against rioting in state capitals, we have an obligation and duty to consistently apply those principals when our nominal team does the same thing.
Do you mean, when 100,000 people protest, and 60 people burst into the Capitol and take selfies, the president must be impeached

Not sure I go along with that one. Dems set the city on fire, so

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:41 pm

The facts don't matter, though, because you do not need a reason to impeach the president. What you do need though is a president

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:43 pm

Doug wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:40 pm
Dantes wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:36 pm As it is, as conservatives, if we're against rioting in state capitals, we have an obligation and duty to consistently apply those principals when our nominal team does the same thing.
Do you mean, when 100,000 people protest, and 60 people burst into the Capitol and take selfies, the president must be impeached

I don't give a flying fuck what the Dems do. Their shitty two faced hypocrisy is not an excuse to abandon the things we claim we believe in. The point isn't to engage in whataboutism, the point is to be better.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:45 pm

Dantes wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:43 pm

I don't give a flying fuck what the Dems do. Their shitty two faced hypocrisy is not an excuse to abandon the things we claim we believe in. The point isn't to engage in whataboutism, the point is to be better.
As I said, I don't argue the facts of the case, because they don't matter. It is within the purview of the House to impeach the president for anything they consider a misdemeanor. Impeaching private citizens, however, does not even conceptually make sense because of what words mean

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:46 pm

Well wait, what's the thing you believe in

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:50 pm

Doug wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:45 pm

As I said, I don't argue the facts of the case, because they don't matter. It is within the purview of the House to impeach the president for anything they consider a misdemeanor. Impeaching private citizens, however, does not even conceptually make sense because of what words mean
He was impeached while he was president. :shrug:

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:50 pm

Is it a tough stance on hooliganism

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:50 pm

Dantes wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:50 pm

Right but the Senate doesn't have the power to hold trials of private citizens

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:52 pm

Doug wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:46 pm Well wait, what's the thing you believe in
Quite a few things actually. In this case though, I don't believe in mob rule.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:52 pm

I hear today that Trump is not considering trying to create a third party, and that instead the idea will be to eject the never-Trumpers from the Republican party

How does that make you feel

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:53 pm

Dantes wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:52 pm
Doug wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:46 pm Well wait, what's the thing you believe in
Quite a few things actually. In this case though, I don't believe in mob rule.
I'm not sure that Trump is even guilty of Trump rule, given the election

Some dictator he is

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:54 pm

Doug wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:50 pm
Dantes wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:50 pm

Right but the Senate doesn't have the power to hold trials of private citizens
The Senate has a constitutional obligation to handle impeachments that are sent to it. Since they literally set their own rules on handling an impeachment, they can indeed hold a trial on those article if that's what they decide to do. And there is no one who is going to tell them otherwise.