Post by Rylinks » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:20 pm

what does the US do well

s. goblin
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Re: POLITICS MOTHERFUCKER

Post by s. goblin » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:26 pm

Ashenai wrote:
I don't mean I buy $800 Armani suits lol, just that I buy clothes from clothes manufacturers, like everyone else.
i figured this was just a thing like how if you came from a country that made good food or had good restaurants or something you would just assume it was the same in NA

like, in NA,, our clothes are made in the shittiest cheapest way possible, from the shittiest cheapest material possible, plastic.

buying clothes from people that actually makes clothes is like a dream. granted you can at least get linen if you get up to like the gap, but you're still not getting clothes from people who are the best at it, or even want to be doing it.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:31 pm

Rylinks wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:20 pm what does the US do well
Lots of stuff! Military equipment, robotics, lots of IT stuff, research, and also entertainment.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:34 pm

s. goblin wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:26 pm
Ashenai wrote:
I don't mean I buy $800 Armani suits lol, just that I buy clothes from clothes manufacturers, like everyone else.
i figured this was just a thing like how if you came from a country that made good food or had good restaurants or something you would just assume it was the same in NA

like, in NA,, our clothes are made in the shittiest cheapest way possible, from the shittiest cheapest material possible, plastic.

buying clothes from people that actually makes clothes is like a dream. granted you can at least get linen if you get up to like the gap, but you're still not getting clothes from people who are the best at it, or even want to be doing it.
NA is a big country, I don't think you can really generalize like that. Also I have some 50% polyester stuff I like, it's a hardy and non-demanding material that has its place!

s. goblin
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by s. goblin » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:37 pm

Ashenai wrote:
NA is a big country, I don't think you can really generalize like that
oh ashenai. you're so optimistic

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:41 pm

Ashenai wrote:

oh yeah this post made me realize that ashenai is misstating comparative advantage: it's not necessary that the people making the clothes are the best at it. They could be quite bad at it, but everyone else has more importantrenumerative things to do

s. goblin
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by s. goblin » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:46 pm

Rylinks wrote:
oh yeah this post made me realize that ashenai is misstating comparative advantage: it's not necessary that the people making the clothes are the best at it. They could be quite bad at it, but everyone else has more importantrenumerative things to do
is that even true

s. goblin
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by s. goblin » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:46 pm

just open your own factories, huh

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:48 pm

Rylinks wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:41 pm
Ashenai wrote:

I was simplifying, but yes. The point is that specialization works well. It's not worth it to try and do a lot of different things well.

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:54 pm

Ashenai wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:31 pm
Lots of stuff! Military equipment, robotics, lots of IT stuff, research, and also entertainment.
i would add financial services to this list, but regardless all of these jobs require a college degree or are entertainment and like any good liberal i think it's important to protect less skilled workers from the sharp end of economic competition

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:57 pm

Oh that reminds me, prisons

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:47 am

Pizza delivery and software.

e: I forgot music and movies

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:42 am

Ashenai wrote:Oh that reminds me, prisons
quality over quantity ashe

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:25 pm

Corn!
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Skeletor
How'd you know that loving kittens is my one defining trait?
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:57 pm

maize well
wow, [you]. that all sounds terrible. i hope it gets better for you

s. goblin
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by s. goblin » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:08 am

Skeletor wrote:maize well
that's p good

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:15 pm

Ashenai wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:57 pm Oh that reminds me, prisons
Not really.

Stalin's musings aside, quantity is not quality.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:24 pm

essay on the relative merits of compassion and changing attitudes vs. legal and constitutional structures for securing rights, https://writing1pell.files.wordpress.co ... le0001.pdf
Cruelty to strangers and foreigners has prompted many people to seek ways to prevent such actions from recurring. Some solutions envision a framework of cosmopolitan largess that relies on the population to spontaneously and generously "imagine" other persons, and to do so on a day-by-day basis. Alternative solutions, in contrast, attempt to solve the problem of human "otherness" through constitutional design

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:05 pm

I'm not sure we can solve the problem of police brutality until something happens that wakes up the entire country, such as for example Whoopi Goldberg getting savagely beaten up by police

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:12 pm

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:45 am

fifth circuit rules that domestic violence restraining orders may not constitutionally deprive someone of their second amendment rights
Distilled to its essence, the provision operates to deprive an individual of his right to keep and bear arms once a court finds, after notice and a hearing, that the individual poses a “credible threat” to an intimate partner or her child and enters a restraining order to that effect. The covered individual forfeits his Second Amendment right for the duration of the court’s order. This is so even when the individual has not been criminally convicted of any offense and when the underlying proceeding is merely civil in nature.
[...]
The Government fails to demonstrate that § 922(g)(8)’s restriction of the Second Amendment right fits within our Nation’s historical tradition of firearm regulation. The Government’s proffered analogues falter under one or both of the metrics the Supreme Court articulated in Bruen as the baseline for measuring “relevantly similar” analogues: “how and why the regulations burden a law-abiding citizen’s right to armed self-defense.” Id. As a result, § 922(g)(8) falls outside the class of firearm regulations countenanced by the Second Amendment.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:51 pm

Rylinks wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:45 am fifth circuit rules that domestic violence restraining orders may not constitutionally deprive someone of their second amendment rights
Distilled to its essence, the provision operates to deprive an individual of his right to keep and bear arms once a court finds, after notice and a hearing, that the individual poses a “credible threat” to an intimate partner or her child and enters a restraining order to that effect. The covered individual forfeits his Second Amendment right for the duration of the court’s order. This is so even when the individual has not been criminally convicted of any offense and when the underlying proceeding is merely civil in nature.
[...]
The Government fails to demonstrate that § 922(g)(8)’s restriction of the Second Amendment right fits within our Nation’s historical tradition of firearm regulation. The Government’s proffered analogues falter under one or both of the metrics the Supreme Court articulated in Bruen as the baseline for measuring “relevantly similar” analogues: “how and why the regulations burden a law-abiding citizen’s right to armed self-defense.” Id. As a result, § 922(g)(8) falls outside the class of firearm regulations countenanced by the Second Amendment.
I mean, yeah?

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:57 pm

Does this mean that an active restraining order was previously used to take people's guns away?

That makes no sense to me

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:11 pm

Ashenai wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:57 pm Does this mean that an active restraining order was previously used to take people's guns away?

What piece?

That an active restraining order might have been used as a pretext to take people's guns away? Or that an active restraining order can no longer be used as a pretext to take people's guns away?

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:29 pm

The first. Isn't guns supposed to be, like, a guaranteed right for you guys?

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:49 pm

Ashenai wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:29 pm The first. Isn't guns supposed to be, like, a guaranteed right for you guys?
yes but actually no

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:09 pm

Ashenai wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:29 pm The first. Isn't guns supposed to be, like, a guaranteed right for you guys?
It's complicated.

Some states, and a political party, don't particularly like guns and have used just about ever legislative trick imaginable to limit gun ownership (for example California has every last gun control law National Democrats have been clamoring for, and even more). Other states are pretty gun friendly. It's only really been in this century that SCOTUS has weighed in on what the Constitution really means when it talks about guns. As a result a lot of pre-existing laws have been crashing and burning in the courts when they've been tested.

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:42 pm

Ashenai wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:57 pm Does this mean that an active restraining order was previously used to take people's guns away?

oh hey, ive actually done this before!

i had a client get a protective order against a neighbor. the neighbor was crazy, and claiming that my client was hacking into his xbox, turning off his internet, and stealing pictures of his child that were on the xbox. the neighbor had done some crazy stuff like writing a pretty inflammatory note, attempting to cut the cable wires on my clients condo, and, most importantly, left a bullet on their porch.

we applied for a temporary protective order, and sought an order requiring the neighbor to forfeit their firearms to law enforcement. the judge granted it. the police entered the neighbors property for the purpose of taking the weapons and didnt find any.

this was a few years ago.
with love, your good friend, seathesee

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:45 pm

the firearms confiscation was actually a checkbox on the state-created petition form, as i recall.

edit: it was/is.
PO firearm surrender.JPG
PO firearm surrender.JPG (132.1 KiB) Viewed 3730 times
with love, your good friend, seathesee

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:19 pm

that job sounds very depressing but also good job on protecting someone from a crazy person