Re: Headline of the Day

Post by Shiny Days » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:55 am

Taiwan official urges people to stop changing their name to 'salmon'

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:33 am

Japanese Company Offers Paid Leave for Employees Grieving Over Their Favorite Idol's Retirement

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:36 am

• If your idol is holding a concert or live event, you may take the day off or leave early as long as it is arranged a week beforehand. Only in the case of a guerilla event or unannounced event are you allowed to leave work early on the day.
  • You may take full paid leave for up to 10 days if your favorite idol graduates. You may take three days if it's your second-favorite idol or otherwise an idol who is not necessarily your number one.
  • You may take full paid leave for up to 10 days if your favorite idol gets married.
  • Depending on the amount of mental damage, it is possible to negotiate for extra days.

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:34 am

lol

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:35 am

showing my boss the picture of school leaving arc to try to get a week off

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:18 am

More than anything I just want to see a livestream of Japanese businessmen sobbing as they watch their idol get married to some asshole who hasn't even bought her premium merch and will never appreciate her right

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:47 pm

Ashenai wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:18 am More than anything I just want to see a livestream of Japanese businessmen sobbing as they watch their idol get married to some asshole who hasn't even bought her premium merch and will never appreciate her right
I am somewhat reminded of that scene in Ready Player One where the salaryman tries to commit suicide after he gets killed in the deathmatch.

People invest heavily in fandom and imaginary things. We all do it, but the Japanese as a culture seem to take it to extremes.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:55 pm

Yeah! But idols are weird, because they're not imaginary. They're real people!

It's not exclusively a weeb thing either, I'm quite sure there are people who legitimately think they're in love with Emma Watson and no doubt resent her boyfriend/husband/whatever her situation is. If you're mad at Hermione because she got together with Ron Weasley, then you know, whatever. It's fiction, it's designed to make you feel things. But getting sad about the real-life actress (who doesn't know you!) living her own life is very weird.

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:58 pm

Ashenai wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:55 pm If you're mad at Hermione because she got together with Ron Weasley, then you know, whatever. It's fiction, it's designed to make you feel things.
I heard that Rowling said later that she shouldn't have had it go that way
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:01 pm

I didn't feel that Hermione/Ron was set up very well, but I didn't feel Hermione/Harry was set up very well either. I didn't get a strong romantic vibe from Hermione's interactions with anyone, honestly.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:07 pm

Now that I think about it, every single romantic relationship in HP was poorly conveyed.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:08 pm

Arthur + Molly Weasley was fine

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:24 pm

Ashenai wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:55 pm Yeah! But idols are weird, because they're not imaginary. They're real people!
But they're not real people. They're characters played by real people. They may be characters based on those people's personalities and traits, but they're just characters.

Lady Gaga may have been born this way, but does anyone think Stefani Germanotta really wears pj's made of steak to bed at night?
Ashenai wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:55 pm It's not exclusively a weeb thing either, I'm quite sure there are people who legitimately think they're in love with Emma Watson and no doubt resent her boyfriend/husband/whatever her situation is. If you're mad at Hermione because she got together with Ron Weasley, then you know, whatever. It's fiction, it's designed to make you feel things. But getting sad about the real-life actress (who doesn't know you!) living her own life is very weird.
Yes, yes it is.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:26 pm

Ashenai wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:07 pm Now that I think about it, every single romantic relationship in HP was poorly conveyed.
I don't think I agree with that. I honestly think the only really bad one was Ron + Hermione.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:32 pm

Dantes wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:26 pm
Ashenai wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:07 pm Now that I think about it, every single romantic relationship in HP was poorly conveyed.
I don't think I agree with that. I honestly think the only really bad one was Ron + Hermione.
Why, exactly, did Harry like Cho Chang or Ginny? Why, exactly, did Ginny or Cho Chang like Harry?

If these questions were answered in the books at any point, I don't remember. They certainly weren't given any weight. I have no idea what Harry thought about either of those girls, which is VERY WEIRD considering how much time we spend in Harry's thoughts.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:43 pm

Ashenai wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:32 pm
Dantes wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:26 pm
Why, exactly, did Harry like Cho Chang or Ginny? Why, exactly, did Ginny or Cho Chang like Harry?

If these questions were answered in the books at any point, I don't remember. They certainly weren't given any weight. I have no idea what Harry thought about either of those girls (other than, presumably, that they were hot), which is VERY WEIRD considering that we spend a lot of time in Harry's thoughts.
Harry liked Cho Chang because he was a 14 year old boy, and that's what 14 year old boys do. When he got to know her he realized there wasn't anything there.

With regards to Ginny, I don't know what to say. Rowling built in lots of little things Harry noticed about Ginny over the course of the books leading up to book six. By the time she brought them together it was natural. But that may be a mileage may vary thing.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:53 pm

I agree with the 14-year-old boy answer, but it still feels off to me. I think it's strange because I thought all the toxic one-sided relationships were very well portrayed! Snape's infatuation with Lily, James's manipulative lusting over Lily, Bellatrix's romantic obsession with Voldemort: those were all convincing, strong characterization moments, even when they were only a single scene.

But the actual normal, healthy relationships felt like they were written as afterthoughts, with very little buildup, most of them happening off-screen, and largely just coming to an end unceremoniously, when Rowling stopped mentioning them.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:56 pm

It's telling that all we get of Lily and James Potter is a scene depicting Lily hating James and James lusting after (and trying to manipulate) Lily. And that scene is very well portrayed, I think! So, uh, how and why did Lily and James actually fall in love? Meh, who knows.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:13 pm

Ashenai wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:53 pm I agree with the 14-year-old boy answer, but it still feels off to me. I think it's strange because I thought all the toxic one-sided relationships were very well portrayed! Snape's infatuation with Lily, James's manipulative lusting over Lily, Bellatrix's romantic obsession with Voldemort: those were all convincing, strong characterization moments, even when they were only a single scene.

But the actual normal, healthy relationships felt like they were written as afterthoughts, with very little buildup, most of them happening off-screen, and largely just coming to an end unceremoniously, when Rowling stopped mentioning them.
There's a lot of reason to believe that wasn't toxic or one sided. Snape and Lilly had at least a friendship and, if not a romance, something that quite likely would have grown into one if Snape had been able to get over his infatuation with the dark arts (lets face it, teenage Snape was basically a kid who got a hold of a copy of The Fountainhead too early). Snape's reactions to Harry are far really only make sense if he truly loved Lilly. Lilly's eyes staring out of James' face served as a constant reminder of everything he lost to Voldemort. Also, his final sacrifice and reveal are far more meaningful if it was motivated by love. Snape is just a more interesting character if it's not infatuation.

Snape was very...human.

Honestly, I think Snape is far and away Rowling's most well realized character.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:23 pm

Ashenai wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:32 pm Why, exactly, did Harry like Cho Chang
iirc because she's hot
u gotta skate

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:28 pm

Ashenai wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:56 pm It's telling that all we get of Lily and James Potter is a scene depicting Lily hating James and James lusting after (and trying to manipulate) Lily. And that scene is very well portrayed, I think! So, uh, how and why did Lily and James actually fall in love? Meh, who knows.
Why is that telling? We got enough to have a rough idea of the history, but the books weren't their story.

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:41 pm

Dantes wrote:Snape's reactions to Harry are far really only make sense if he truly loved Lilly.
i think they make as much sense if he's just infatuated with her