It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Monty
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Re: The Motion Picture Arts Thread

Post by Monty » Tue May 26, 2020 5:04 pm

Baby Gene Wilder, already being extremely himself!
The world needs more Bohemian Ear-Spoons

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue May 26, 2020 5:11 pm

jaja lol
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed May 27, 2020 2:29 pm

Wrath of Khan is a better movie than Empire Strikes Back

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Wed May 27, 2020 2:54 pm

I don't have an urge to immediately reject that, nor do I have an urge to immediately affirm it.

I will entertain an argument.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed May 27, 2020 6:58 pm

Meanwhile in my continuing effort to peruse the cinema of the 30s and 40s, I see that Laura is on sale, so I think that's next

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Wed May 27, 2020 7:14 pm

Doug wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:58 pm Meanwhile in my continuing effort to peruse the cinema of the 30s and 40s, I see that Laura is on sale, so I think that's next
If that's what you're trying to do, then get It Happened One Night and The Thin Man.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed May 27, 2020 7:21 pm

Dantes wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:14 pm
Doug wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:58 pm Meanwhile in my continuing effort to peruse the cinema of the 30s and 40s, I see that Laura is on sale, so I think that's next
If that's what you're trying to do, then get It Happened One Night and The Thin Man.
Cool -- I watched Lost Horizon recently, and that's the same director has Happened One Night

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Wed May 27, 2020 7:46 pm

Doug wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:21 pm
Dantes wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:14 pm
Cool -- I watched Lost Horizon recently, and that's the same director has Happened One Night
It was the first Big Five academy award winner, a feat that wouldn't be repeated for forty years until One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Wed May 27, 2020 10:04 pm

Doug wrote:Wrath of Khan is a better movie than Empire Strikes Back
I also wanna hear your Why.

I would say that my kids responded more viscerally to Khan than Empire, but they were a little older when they saw Khan, & I set it up by making them watch Space Seed the day before.

Subject: crippled masters

Bring on the kung-fu amputees - no arms vs. no legs anyone? A bit of high-speed underground ninja-tunneling is always good as well. I wanna see some shit like that. Crazy monks with gnarly special powers can make any film good. FACT.

Monty
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Monty » Wed May 27, 2020 10:46 pm

The Wrath of Khan has a beginning, a middle, and an end. The Empire Strikes Back has a beginning, a middle, and a really cool cliffhanger.

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Wed May 27, 2020 10:55 pm

& Khan's prequel is totally watchable.

Bring on the kung-fu amputees - no arms vs. no legs anyone? A bit of high-speed underground ninja-tunneling is always good as well. I wanna see some shit like that. Crazy monks with gnarly special powers can make any film good. FACT.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed May 27, 2020 11:53 pm

Monty wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:46 pm The Wrath of Khan has a beginning, a middle, and an end. The Empire Strikes Back has a beginning, a middle, and a really cool cliffhanger.
Yeah, this is kind of a big part of it. Empire Strikes Back is an episode while Wrath of Khan is a movie. ESB is deliberately unfinished, to be concluded next time

ESB has an entirely passive antagonist, and doesn't develop this antagonist whatsoever. Darth Vader is a dungeon boss, he just sits there and ensnares all the protagonists, but he doesn't change and very nearly doesn't take any action at all

Luke ultimately drives the action by deciding to disobey Yoda, which should be good, but this is nearly portrayed as bad

Also, and I've talked about this before, ESB and RoJ reverse the theme of the original film, which is that the Force flows through everyone, even an irrelevant farm boy. As of ESB, he's not an irrelevant farm boy at all, he's been a special boy all along, from a magic family. This is a complete betrayal of the original film

Now Wrath of Khan does not have such lofty themes, which is too bad, and is a simpler story of a duel between two ships. And yeah we can say that this is a strike against it. But is there a better popcorn film of a duel between two ships? There kinda isn't. And Khan is just such a great villain. He's proactive, and he outwits the protagonist, and then is outwitted by the protagonist in turn, and it's all just fun as anything. And there's a little bit of a theme, in that Kirk thinks he can't lose, and he thinks that if he acts like he can't lose, he won't. And he finds out the hard way that even if you can't lose, you have a lot to lose. This is pretty good, it's not cosmic or anything, but it's decent. But the movie is a lot of fun along the way.

Both movies have killer music, don't they

Anyway, that's the main thing, Darth Vader is almost not a character while Khan is quite a character. And ESB is like half a movie

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Thu May 28, 2020 12:26 am

:hfive:

Ricardo Montalbán is freaking menacing in that role :supo:

Hoshi
Fallen Star
Cardboard Robot

Post by Hoshi » Thu May 28, 2020 5:34 am

It's interesting to say that A New Hope suggested anyone could channel the force, when that was what a whoooole lot of people got mad at Last Jedi for.

I don't actually have my own opinion on that either way, though.

Still Alive
Cardboard Rima
Let's party like it's 1899

Post by Still Alive » Thu May 28, 2020 5:55 am

really the wrath of khan is incredible because it's not a movie about fucking two satellites

drk
Birds are wild
Posting Automaton

Post by drk » Thu May 28, 2020 10:09 pm

That sounds more like the Lust of Khan.

Monty
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Monty » Thu May 28, 2020 10:59 pm

Khan is a better villain because he fucks.

I typed that as a joke, but he actually does have a ton of charisma and personality, while ESB Vader is mostly a spooky monolith.

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Thu May 28, 2020 11:16 pm

:eyebrows: 'Space Seed' indeed

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Fri May 29, 2020 3:26 pm

Doug wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:53 pm
Monty wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:46 pm The Wrath of Khan has a beginning, a middle, and an end. The Empire Strikes Back has a beginning, a middle, and a really cool cliffhanger.
Yeah, this is kind of a big part of it. Empire Strikes Back is an episode while Wrath of Khan is a movie. ESB is deliberately unfinished, to be concluded next time

ESB has an entirely passive antagonist, and doesn't develop this antagonist whatsoever. Darth Vader is a dungeon boss, he just sits there and ensnares all the protagonists, but he doesn't change and very nearly doesn't take any action at all

Luke ultimately drives the action by deciding to disobey Yoda, which should be good, but this is nearly portrayed as bad

Also, and I've talked about this before, ESB and RoJ reverse the theme of the original film, which is that the Force flows through everyone, even an irrelevant farm boy. As of ESB, he's not an irrelevant farm boy at all, he's been a special boy all along, from a magic family. This is a complete betrayal of the original film

Now Wrath of Khan does not have such lofty themes, which is too bad, and is a simpler story of a duel between two ships. And yeah we can say that this is a strike against it. But is there a better popcorn film of a duel between two ships? There kinda isn't. And Khan is just such a great villain. He's proactive, and he outwits the protagonist, and then is outwitted by the protagonist in turn, and it's all just fun as anything. And there's a little bit of a theme, in that Kirk thinks he can't lose, and he thinks that if he acts like he can't lose, he won't. And he finds out the hard way that even if you can't lose, you have a lot to lose. This is pretty good, it's not cosmic or anything, but it's decent. But the movie is a lot of fun along the way.

Both movies have killer music, don't they

Anyway, that's the main thing, Darth Vader is almost not a character while Khan is quite a character. And ESB is like half a movie
This is compelling!

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Fri May 29, 2020 3:29 pm

Monty wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:59 pm Khan is a better villain because he fucks.

I typed that as a joke, but he actually does have a ton of charisma and personality, while ESB Vader is mostly a spooky monolith.
Vader's cultural power is in iconography. The look, feel, and personification of Vader is terrifying and he tapped into fears of an evil empire (cold war and all). As a character however Vader is a petulant, whiny, bitch who lashes out in anger and lacks any kind of real self control. He is utterly dominated by his passions.

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Sat May 30, 2020 11:40 am

Watched Call of the Wild with the boys, good stuff. Nice to see Han Solo & Chewbacca still finding work.

Still Alive
Cardboard Rima
Let's party like it's 1899

Post by Still Alive » Sat May 30, 2020 12:10 pm

rianalnn wrote:Watched Call of the Wild with the boys, good stuff. Nice to see Han Solo & Chewbacca still finding work.
that was directed by my man Chris Sanders!

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Sat May 30, 2020 2:25 pm

It is a classy flick, too. I like the subtly anthropomorphic CGI beasts, not talking animals. Thumbs up.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Sun May 31, 2020 1:01 pm

I watched Philadelphia Story last night, it's pretty good but I feel like the end was a bit of a deus ex machina

Then I watched a bunch of Bugs Bunny shorts

The top five Bugs Bunny shorts:

5. Long-Haired Hare
4. Bully for Bugs
3. Hillbilly Hare
2. Rabbit of Seville
1. What's Opera Doc

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Sun May 31, 2020 2:41 pm

No Rabbit Fire?

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Sun May 31, 2020 2:42 pm

The next tier is probably 20 more shorts including that one

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:55 am

Confronting! How very far away the summer of 1989 now seems.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:38 pm