Re: Charho-oh Virus Thread

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:11 pm

oh I'd never heard that one

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:14 pm

Yeah I thought it had more pop-culture traction, it's a really witty and succinct description of the culture of those two places

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:05 pm

it's witty and it's succinct but I don't think it captures anything recognisable about the culture of those two places

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:06 pm

Fair enough, you would know better than I do!

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:07 pm

It's fairly obscure by modern standards, which is kind of Frye's thing.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:54 pm

me right now

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:56 pm

the real tragedy is that people are too scared to lick all the wild animals, even though it's completely safe. as far as covid goes, anyway

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:56 pm

We need to normalize licking wild animals again. Please do your best to be part of the solution.

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:57 pm

I thought that was a really happy bat but now I see that it is his nose, and also even the bunny has fangs

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:00 pm

I believe it's important to strike a balance between safety and normality, which is why I always wear a mask while licking snakes

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:01 pm

Ashenai wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:56 pm the real tragedy is that people are too scared to lick all the wild animals, even though it's completely safe. as far as covid goes, anyway
Gave my cat a bath the other day

My tongue is exhausted, but I think he didn't mind it
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:04 pm

coughing up hairballs is a bitch, though

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:03 am

update: my vaccination site hurts, which is normal and even good, but I would prefer it not do that, actually.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:04 am

by "vaccination site" I mean my upper arm, not the doctor's office

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:11 am

I got a bit of that but mostly I am feeling tired from all that work making spike proteins

Skeletor
How'd you know that loving kittens is my one defining trait?
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:09 pm

I got scheduled for Pfizer 1 some 300+ miles from where I live on April 15. Couldn't find anything near me so I went with one near my mom. I tried to find Johnson & Johnson but the only places I could find offering it don't have appointments
wow, [you]. that all sounds terrible. i hope it gets better for you

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:06 am

Skeletor wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:09 pm I got scheduled for Pfizer 1 some 300+ miles from where I live on April 15.
the clark county fairground has a million appointments available and is half that distance from you.

we are drowning in vaccines down here.
with love, your good friend, seathesee

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:09 am

haplo wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:57 pm even the bunny has fangs
with love, your good friend, seathesee

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:11 pm

Team Johnson & Johnson baby. Oh you guys need two shots? Must not be very powerful. :supo:

Skeletor
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:01 pm

I like that choice

Skeletor
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:03 pm

seathesee wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:06 am
Skeletor wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:09 pm I got scheduled for Pfizer 1 some 300+ miles from where I live on April 15.
the clark county fairground has a million appointments available and is half that distance from you.

we are drowning in vaccines down here.
Over a certain distance I'd rather just go to somewhere I can stay overnight. So that's why I looked near my mom when I found nothing within 100 miles

Some stuff opened up last night though and I nabbed a much closer appointment. Sorry mom, no visit 4 u

Shiny Days
...but history refused to change

Post by Shiny Days » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:00 pm

I don't know if you guys have been paying attention to anything Canadian, and I understand if you haven't, but it's been a crazy handful of months. When Trump got righteously dethroned in America, despite how he was never going to abdicate his power, he somehow got elected and overtook my country, as now we're actually beating the united states in cases. Not by a lot granted, we're apparently at 205.73 new cases per million with the states at 205.12. Ontario, parts of alberta, and I think parts of British Columbia have entered a third wave. We're setting new records for cases every day. It's pretty crazy

I guess this is all owed to the variants which, like, last I saw the British one was about 60% of the active cases here in Alberta. Forty percent more likely to kill you, more infectious, etc.. You'd think, maybe, we'd be doing literally anything against people coming from parts of the world with these like super contagious super deadly strains, but, somewhat unrelated, I was actually reading a pretty cool article about Canadian snowbirds the other day -- Snowbirds are rich Canadians (trump supporters) who during the winter fuck off to their second homes in warmer pastures, like the bottom of the united states and mexico

So, like, obviously, everybody is supposed to be staying in their homes and following the rules, but hey it does get pretty cold in Canada during the winter, although not really anymore, honestly, so they've been going anyway. And, like, now, you can't travel to Mexico or the Bahamas, because maybe this isn't the best time to be having a vacation, so what the Snowbirds are doing are just flying close to their destination and then driving in.

But, like, ok, so they're going, but, like, at least if you fly back into Canada then you have to stay at a hotel for three days, isolating, which you gotta pay for out of your own pocket. Kind of a lame rule, and it can actually be pretty expensive. But hey, maybe a little bit discouraging right? Except the snowbirds apparently got Canada beat here also in that rather than fly into the country, they're flying close to our country and then paying a taxi driver to just drive them across the border. Then they just gotta self isolate for a couple of weeks in their house on total scouts honour.

Unrelated again, an explosion of cases happened in Halifax because a d00d was supposed to self isolate but really needed to pick up groceries and so went to a grocey store, and a liquor store, and a hardware store. We just recently had an outbreak at some camps here in Alberta because a d00d flew in and then just ... went to the campsites.

But you know, easy to be upset at these people for flaunting the rules because I guess who really gives a shit, but you are still required to do some covid testing somewhere. A lot of people, a lot of these people are getting vaccines in the states, because, man, you really can't get that shit here. For age brackets we're at, uh, sixty and up? Fifty five maybe? And you'd think, like, well, I'm sure you guys are chunking down by five years pretty rapidly. No, people in my age group probably aren't getting vaccines until, uh, oh June. That's sooner than I thought.

But then, you know, maybe fuck the rules. Like, I'm not sure how much people are actually checking that you're on the level especially with so many doses going unused. Here in Alberta you can put yourself on a call list or whatever if you're a part of this 2b group, which allows for younger people if they have some hey you might be fucked conditions like asthma, but then re asthma, only if you've been hospitalized, hospitalized!, in the last year. Whether or not they actually check that, though...

Shiny Days

Post by Shiny Days » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:01 pm

It also occurs to me that they never really did / have offered anything to the front line workers like they promised. Well, I guess we are poor

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:41 pm

That sounds awful. I am actually kind of impressed that the US apparently coordinated this better than Canada. Thanks, Trump!

Since we're both vaccinated now, we actually booked a flight to Colorado next month. A flight! What a concept!

Shiny Days

Post by Shiny Days » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:50 pm

pterrus wrote:That sounds awful. I am actually kind of impressed that the US apparently coordinated this better than Canada. Thanks, Trump!

Since we're both vaccinated now, we actually booked a flight to Colorado next month. A flight! What a concept!
interestingly even if you do get vaccinated here in Canada you're still not allowed to travel and you're still expected to follow all of the guidelines. we're supposedly hard fucked because the variants are getting these footholds so who knows with vaccinations? i got a friend who actually can get this thing and even if they do, they've been told they can't go anywhere or do anything especially in alberta, where their friends are, because who knows. I'm guessing this is supposed to be until, uh, everybody is vaccinated? So around, like, December, maybe

Starprintsky
Adding Machine
Adding Machine

Post by Starprintsky » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:19 am

Shiny Days wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:00 pm if you fly back into Canada then you have to stay at a hotel for three days, isolating
lol

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:58 am

I went to bed last night feeling great. I think I actually said something like, "this vaccine stuff is easy." 1.5 hours later I woke up with the worst chills I've ever had in my life, we're talking teeth chattering despite being under 2 blankets. Eventually the chills subsided and I just had a regular ass fever and was able to get to sleep. And obv obv obv this is the morning Dante decides to wake me up at 4 AM. It's like he knew.

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:46 pm

Bad news for team Johnson & Johnson

Team Johnson & Johnson is more exclusive now. :smug:

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:09 pm

pterrus wrote:Bad news for team Johnson & Johnson

Team Johnson & Johnson is more exclusive now. :smug:
clearly the men-only vaccine is the best one

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:54 pm

I just received my first round of the Moderna vaccine.

Soon I shall be INVINCIBLE!
Pour like Hemingway's last call.