For old timey review

Probably what *this* should be called.
Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Re: Charho-oh Virus Thread

Post by Crunchums » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:21 pm

Jeb Bush 2012 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:37 pm
Crunchums wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:27 pm nods, i was just posting, you know? :supo:
I guess I am doing the exact opposite of the suggested strategy here since my vaccination appointment will involve walking to possibly the single bluest spot in a biden +45 county
well the problem that that strategy is meant to solve is if you were having trouble finding vaccination appointments in the first place

does +45 mean 95/5 or 72.5/27.5? i can never remember
u gotta skate

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:22 pm

Shiny Days wrote:
seathesee wrote:
ive heard canada is really fucking this whole thing up
well we have a lot of trump supporters so it at least makes sense
my parents both got it

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:23 pm

Crunchums wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:21 pm well the problem that that strategy is meant to solve is if you were having trouble finding vaccination appointments in the first place

does +45 mean 95/5 or 72.5/27.5? i can never remember
yeah I know I too was just posting :supo:

it's the latter (but cook pvi is the former, which confuses people a lot)

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:23 pm

Khaos wrote:
Shiny Days wrote:
seathesee wrote:
ive heard canada is really fucking this whole thing up
well we have a lot of trump supporters so it at least makes sense
my parents both got it
we absolutely are fucking things up though

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:24 pm

Jeb Bush 2012 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:23 pm yeah I know I too was just posting :supo:
posting :supo:
u gotta skate

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:25 pm

so people have polled biden-trump in canada and the results have alberta being about as pro-biden as the very bluest states in the US

e: not just a trump thing either, obama-romney was even more lopsided

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:26 pm

Jeb Bush 2012 wrote:so people have polled biden-trump in canada and the results have alberta being about as pro-biden as the very bluest states in the US
so in other words we have a bunch of trump supporters here

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:27 pm

Jeb Bush 2012 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:25 pm so people have polled biden-trump in canada
:rofl:
with love, your good friend, seathesee

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:28 pm

Khaos wrote: so in other words we have a bunch of trump supporters here
that's right

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:29 pm

seathesee wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:27 pm :rofl:
gotta be ready for the political impacts of canadannexation

Shiny Days
...but history refused to change

Post by Shiny Days » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:43 pm

we actually just had our mayor do a press conference in which he told us that we're totally fucked. i guess it was nice at least that he dropped pretense

Shiny Days

Post by Shiny Days » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:51 pm

on my way to work, on a bus, the bus driver let on a kid who wasnt wearing a mask, and also didn't have any money for the bus, but then i guess that's their policy, at least according to a conversation i overheard about a bus driver coworker who actually got in shit not only from the city, but their union representative as well, for not letting a person without a mask on their bus (that person then complained to the city). "i don't care if they're coughing or even foaming at the mouth, you let them on the bus." apparently ridership is down so there's not a lot you can do

this is at least slightly better than getting on the train in the morning which is guaranteed to get you people who aren't wearing masks, since the homeless people pretty much live there. there's no, like, security or anything, at the trains / train stops, on the trains. i mean there does exist security guard guys who will sometimes go to places but there isn't, like, guys stationed anywhere, so you get big groups just hanging out at the stops or being on the train or whatever, since it's indoors and has chairs and is probably pretty preferable to anywhere else you could be. the little glass stops at the stations are even heated

anyway so this morning this one person, who was throwing needles out of one of those little stop hang out spots, yelled / sang, yell singed at me (that would you really want to hurt me song), which would be kind of whatever if it were not for the pandemic, but then you know that's after working for eight hours with now at least only some coworkers who don't wear masks or anything

Shiny Days

Post by Shiny Days » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:58 pm

the cool thing about going to that train station is that you go past two busses that take people to banf for fun ski trips each weekend. of course the plague doesn't spread on those busses or really any rich people events, like ski lodges, and the beaches, and the campgrounds (ok maybe not this one), each of which have seen record numbers in the last year. and you know, each of those things is out doors, so maybe.

and then on the other side of the spectrum, the poor people side, i've heard that the homeless guys aren't actually supposed to be much of a threat, despite gathering in large numbers and not generally being concerned with whether or not one of them is sick, or at least showing signs of being sick, since they probably appear to be all the time, because normal people don't, like, interact with them at all, so like office workers and people like that who i guess would be carriers are all wearing masks and social distancing from the homeless, so they're just not getting it

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:15 pm

just wear a counterfeit kn95 and you might not have to worry about any of it.

Starprintsky
Adding Machine
Adding Machine

Post by Starprintsky » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:53 am

seathesee wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:52 pm *banjo music stops abruptly*

you comin to take our vaccines, city boy?
:rofl:

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:08 pm

Alright, need some input! I have a chance to get vaccinated with AstraZeneca on Thursday. I'm leaning towards getting it, but if anyone knows what the effectiveness stats look like and has a compelling case for waiting until I can get Pfizer or Moderna, please let me know!

(The blood clot issue is, as far as I can tell, complete nonsense, but if you have information contradicting this, let me know that too, please!)

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:02 pm

I'd go for it - given the option I would choose one of the MRNA vaccines, but all of the big four are extremely effective at preventing hospitalization or worse, so waiting months for Pfizer/Moderna does not seem worth it. (I don't know whether Hungary has an issue with AZ refusal in particular, like some countries have, but if it does that would also make taking the AZ more pro-social)

Even the higher end of the blood clotting risks I've seen claimed do not seem high enough to be a meaningful factor in whether you should take it.

e: one thing I'm curious about is how effective AZ/J&J are at preventing transmission. it seems extraordinarily unlikely that they don't cut it down a bunch, given what we've seen with Pf/Md, but I don't know how we should expect their effectiveness at that to compare to Pf/Md. but either way you probably reduce transmission more by taking it now

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:10 pm

Ashenai wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:08 pm Alright, need some input! I have a chance to get vaccinated with AstraZeneca on Thursday. I'm leaning towards getting it, but if anyone knows what the effectiveness stats look like and has a compelling case for waiting until I can get Pfizer or Moderna, please let me know!

(The blood clot issue is, as far as I can tell, complete nonsense, but if you have information contradicting this, let me know that too, please!)
NYT article on the AZ vaccine.

I think the big reason to go for one of the others is the reduced efficacy. Also I'm a little weirded out by using a modified monkey virus to hijack your cells to make the needed RNA plan. I kind of prefer the mRNA scheme, though I have absolutely no specific scientific reason to prefer one plan over the other.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:11 pm

Jeb Bush 2012 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:02 pm I'd go for it - given the option I would choose one of the MRNA vaccines.
I should have said this as well.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:17 pm

Dantes wrote:
Ashenai wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:08 pm Alright, need some input! I have a chance to get vaccinated with AstraZeneca on Thursday. I'm leaning towards getting it, but if anyone knows what the effectiveness stats look like and has a compelling case for waiting until I can get Pfizer or Moderna, please let me know!

NYT article on the AZ vaccine.

I think the big reason to go for one of the others is the reduced efficacy. Also I'm a little weirded out by using a modified monkey virus to hijack your cells to make the needed RNA plan. I kind of prefer the mRNA scheme, though I have absolutely no specific scientific reason to prefer one plan over the other.
neat article!

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:18 pm

i dont fault you for maybe not wanting to take AZ. look at me, crossing the culture war boundary

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:58 pm

I do want to take it! I'm sick of being cooped up with my folks.

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:47 pm

Khaos wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:18 pm i dont fault you for maybe not wanting to take AZ. look at me, crossing the culture war boundary
i didnt realize you acknowledge youre on a side. this is a good step.

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:55 pm

i am definitely on the vaccinations are good side

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:56 pm

so am i, but i wouldnt term myself a blue culture warrior.

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:05 pm

well apparently that's all it takes nowadays

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:07 pm

Khaos wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:05 pm well apparently that's all it takes nowadays
well that doesnt follow.

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:23 pm

Jeb Bush 2012 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:02 pm I'd go for it - given the option I would choose one of the MRNA vaccines, but all of the big four are extremely effective at preventing hospitalization or worse, so waiting months for Pfizer/Moderna does not seem worth it.
okay I'd like to revise this opinion - after carepful consideration I have come to the conclusion that pfizer gang pforever, pfools pfuck opfpf

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:31 pm

:hfive:

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf