the smallbox moving picture with sound thread (telly vision)

Probably what *this* should be called.
seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Re: the smallbox moving picture with sound thread (telly vision)

Post by seathesee » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:42 pm

hahaha
with love, your good friend, seathesee

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:47 pm

Ashenai wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:35 pm I didn't mind the rape plotline but it was also nothing amazing imo. My issue was more that Julia's character felt way less defined than Quentin's, and traumatizing your MC falls flat if you don't define her well enough for the reader to understand and care about her state of mind.

I got the strong impression that Quentin was an authorial self-insert, which is probably why his personality is painted with such confident and vivid strokes. Julia is, I dunno. She didn't feel real to me.
I agree; this is one thing I like a lot more about the tv series, which has julia as a main character with well-defined and (to me) sympathetic motivations from the start

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:48 pm

seathesee wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:39 pm i think pirates are a tough because the heroes are always actually fundamentally bad people on some level. its hard to make a thing out of that with concentrated long lasting main stream appeal over multiple iterations.
I think you can (people love crime shows!) but yeah potc is a bad jumping-off point for that

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:53 pm

One Piece is chugging along just fine. The key is to do the kid's playground version of "pirate", which is just "badass sea explorer". The fun part of the pirate fantasy was never the looting etc, it was the freedom to explore the high seas and get into adventures.

What we really need is a show about space pirates. I think there are a couple of animes along those lines, but I don't know of any western show (animated or not) that's done that. I think it's a cool setup!

and then maybe they could crash-land on a planet of wizards

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:03 pm

Ashenai wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:53 pm What we really need is a show about space pirates.
If I were a wealthy financier, I would fund a Larry Niven's Known Space TV show, for like HBO or whatever
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:06 pm

seathesee wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:50 pm im glad you guys are enjoying them. ive just never seen oversaturation of a niche genre like this in my life. i was trying to think of an analogue, and the best i could come up with are westerns in the 50s or 60s.
Police procedurals in the oughts.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

Skeletor
How'd you know that loving kittens is my one defining trait?
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:14 pm

Zombies as a genre just kept growing for years after I had started looking around in bewilderment at the saturation, thinking surely it was played out already

Superheroes feel kinda the same but bigger, which I think makes sense given the starting point
wow, [you]. that all sounds terrible. i hope it gets better for you

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:24 pm

Jeb Bush 2012 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:48 pm
seathesee wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:39 pm i think pirates are a tough because the heroes are always actually fundamentally bad people on some level. its hard to make a thing out of that with concentrated long lasting main stream appeal over multiple iterations.
I think you can (people love crime shows!) but yeah potc is a bad jumping-off point for that
i guess to my mind, and maybe its a distinction without a difference, most crime shows, where the hero is not those preventing the crime, are not all in the same setting--westwood was old west, sopranos was mafia, breaking bad was modern day suburban life, peaky blinders is...19th century england? (i dont know i havent wastched it), boardwalk empire is 1920s america, sons of anarchy is west coast biker gangs, etc. each of the settings provide their own nuances to explore. pirates is all pirates, mostly set in a specific time period and locale.

im open to it being a completely bullshit theory, though. :lol:

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:33 pm

Zombies are dumb
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:33 pm

seathesee wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:24 pm i guess to my mind, and maybe its a distinction without a difference, most crime shows, where the hero is not those preventing the crime, are not all in the same setting--westwood was old west, sopranos was mafia, breaking bad was modern day suburban life, peaky blinders is...19th century england? (i dont know i havent wastched it), boardwalk empire is 1920s america, sons of anarchy is west coast biker gangs, etc. each of the settings provide their own nuances to explore. pirates is all pirates, mostly set in a specific time period and locale.

im open to it being a completely bullshit theory, though. :lol:
peaky blinders is interwar england (and is quite good imo! I held off on it for a long time because I hate the name, even though it's from a real thing)

I think that's... plausible? piracy has been going on for as long as people moved stealable goods about but the cultural image is very focused on a specific period of caribbean piracy, yeah

this kind of makes me want to watch a show about idk the sea beggars or the victual brothers or japanese wokou etc.

Shiny Days
...but history refused to change

Post by Shiny Days » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:44 pm

Ashenai wrote:One Piece is chugging along just fine. The key is to do the kid's playground version of "pirate", which is just "badass sea explorer". The fun part of the pirate fantasy was never the looting etc, it was the freedom to explore the high seas and get into adventures.
the fun part of pirate fantasy is the lore, like a, uh, compass that points towards a ship. this unfortunately also has an unfun part, which is explaining said lore, which i think people have a real compulsion to do.

you know, most recently, john wick actually did a cool job of this. then explained everything in the sequels. so it goes

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:45 pm

Jeb Bush 2012 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:09 pm
Skeletor wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:35 pm I loved season 1

Someone tell me if I should watch season 2
I thought season 1 was mediocre, in a high-variance kind of way, but good enough that I didn't regret watching it. season 2 I gave up on after a few episodes
Agreeing with all of this. Finished Season 1, loved it! Two episodes into Season 2 and I just don't know if I'll keep going. I'm not sure if they just ran out of good ideas or what but nothing they've done in S2 has really landed for me, all the characters are stupid... eh. It's still okay, but I was hoping for more.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:38 pm

Homelander's actor is so good, though. Nails that character masterfully. I love him!

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:15 pm

Ashenai wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:38 pm Homelander's actor is so good, though. Nails that character masterfully. I love him!
He’s the very best part of the show.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:14 pm

Finished S2 of The Boys. It's... uneven, but overall not bad!

My biggest problem with the show is that it has a tendency to get very absorbed with sniffing its own farts. In a late episode, two of the protagonists start arguing which one of them is the "cuck", then a villain unironically uses the term SJW, and I was cringing so hard I nearly had to stop watching. It definitely felt like Hollywood people writing shit to amuse other Hollywood people. The show tries to get topical and it's neither subtle nor insightful enough to pull it off.

The story is solid, not as good as S1 but a fine watch. Sometimes it got a bit slow and boring. It didn't feel like they had as many ideas, or as good ones, as in the first season.

I'll probably forget all about this show before S3 comes out, but I had a good time watching it.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Sun May 02, 2021 6:42 pm

Invincible's first season just ended, and it's a fun show! It's a little bit similar to The Boys in that it plays around in interesting ways with superhero genre tropes.

I think it's very good, just short of amazing; sometimes it's a bit hokey, sometimes the characterization is a little bit off, sometimes scenes that are supposed to hit hard just kinda make me roll my eyes instead. There are entire subplots that go nowhere during the season (although I understand the comic has been going for a long time, so it's quite possible they're setting up plots later, in future seasons). But overall I'd definitely recommend it. It's a well-told story, with enough twists on the old formula that it keeps things interesting.

Shiny Days

Post by Shiny Days » Mon May 03, 2021 6:55 am

invincible, similar to the boys, is probably really good and worth checking out. like, i already know the comic is really good, but, like, man, seasons of stuff? if there was just like six or eight episodes. i could get in get out. i dunno, man. like, final space is really good. but then i heard there was other seasons and just oof. augh

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Mon May 03, 2021 7:05 am

The first season is 8 episodes! It obviously doesn't conclude the story, but it's a satisfying arc. I think you can watch it and be happy you did, whether or not you end up watching any of the later seasons.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon May 03, 2021 12:30 pm

Ashenai wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:05 am The first season is 8 episodes! It obviously doesn't conclude the story, but it's a satisfying arc. I think you can watch it and be happy you did, whether or not you end up watching any of the later seasons.
Isn't that based on a Mark Millar comic?

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Mon May 03, 2021 12:43 pm

It's based on a comic, but Wikipedia says it's by Robert Kirkman and Cory Walker.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon May 03, 2021 1:17 pm

I'm thinking of something else then. Also, I am exceedingly skeptical of anything based on Millar's work.

If anything, he's less subtle than Garth Ennis.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Mon May 03, 2021 1:25 pm

Maybe you were thinking of the Ultimates? Anyway, I wouldn't call Invincible subtle either, but I also didn't feel like it was preachy. The main characters are mostly high school kids who are... a lot like high school kids (sometimes insufferable), but none of the characters in the story felt like they were infallible or just there to preach about the author's views. And none of them are caricatures either, with the exception of some of the minor villains (mad scientists and such).

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed May 19, 2021 7:06 pm

has anyone here watched I Think You Should Leave
?
u gotta skate

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Wed May 19, 2021 7:21 pm

yeah. all of my friends loved it and I thought it was fine

I think this was my favourite sketch from it

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed May 19, 2021 7:37 pm

i think that one and the door one are a clear top 2
u gotta skate

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Wed May 19, 2021 8:14 pm

im a huge fan of this one:
in fact, i think ill watch it right now.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Wed May 19, 2021 8:37 pm

Crunchums wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:06 pm has anyone here watched I Think You Should Leave
?
I actually canceled my Netflix subscription. More accurately, the credit card I was paying it with expired and I didn't notice for 3 or 4 weeks. Then I canceled it.

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Wed May 19, 2021 8:47 pm

Dantes wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:37 pm I actually canceled my Netflix subscription. More accurately, the credit card I was paying it with expired and I didn't notice for 3 or 4 weeks. Then I canceled it.
wow, I think the car sketch is overrated too but that's a lot

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Wed May 19, 2021 8:55 pm

somebody really loves their mother in law.

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Wed May 19, 2021 9:00 pm

yeah im not really into these