the smallbox moving picture with sound thread (telly vision)

Probably what *this* should be called.
Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Re: the smallbox moving picture with sound thread (telly vision)

Post by Dantes » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:27 pm

Doug wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:25 pm
Rylinks wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:23 pm Christianity says that the resurrection is a historical event. the notion of a faith completely detached from anything in reality or history is a modern view. The apostole's view was: Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the place of the nails, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.
Yeah I'm kinda getting this sense that some non-religious people think that a religion is just like your favorite sports team, and of course you still have a favorite sports team even though there are Celestials I mean come on why would that stop you from having a favorite sports team
I'm not certain who you're referring to as non-religious people or honestly quite what you're trying to say here.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:28 pm

Dantes wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:27 pm I'm not certain who you're referring to as non-religious people
Oh, not you. Like, somebody at Marvel/Disney. I don't know their names
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:32 pm

Ah I just thought of the simplest way to explain it

Are the Celestials Christians

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:34 pm

It's funny because in Guardians 2, they went out of their way to differentiate Ego from God. "I'm what you call a Celestial." "You mean you're a God?!" "Whoa, whoa, hold on there -- small 'g,' son. I'm not any sort of god that might offend our audience."

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:51 am

What, not catering to my personal belief system in a fictional work? How da-

Subject: crippled masters

Bring on the kung-fu amputees - no arms vs. no legs anyone? A bit of high-speed underground ninja-tunneling is always good as well. I wanna see some shit like that. Crazy monks with gnarly special powers can make any film good. FACT.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:02 am

Personal? Me? I'm an atheist

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:28 am

Post was entirely facetious, you were not the intended PoV character :0

Bring on the kung-fu amputees - no arms vs. no legs anyone? A bit of high-speed underground ninja-tunneling is always good as well. I wanna see some shit like that. Crazy monks with gnarly special powers can make any film good. FACT.

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:49 am

I come into the living room to find my boys sitting here, watching Legal Eagle's analysis of ST:TNG's "Measure of a Man"

I love these dudes

RawMeat
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by RawMeat » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:56 pm

Ya'll ever watch Ted Lasso with somebody that thought it was a sitcom. Man, the episode where Ted first tells that psych about his dad gets em every time.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:23 pm

RawMeat wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:56 pm Ya'll ever watch Ted Lasso with somebody that thought it was a sitcom. Man, the episode where Ted first tells that psych about his dad gets em every time.
I mean, it was developed by Bill Lawrence (Scrubs). That's all you really need to know.

RawMeat
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by RawMeat » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:39 pm

I don't recall Scrubs being a nihilistic hellscape, but I was drinking a lot of beast light and benedryl back in the days of Scrubs reruns.

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:44 pm

RawMeat wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:39 pm I don't recall Scrubs being a nihilistic hellscape, but I was drinking a lot of beast light and benedryl back in the days of Scrubs reruns.
I forget, is beast light more or less common than beast heavy? Like, if someone just says beast with no qualifier, which one are you supposed to assume? It's been a while. I remember seeing a Keystone heavy in WV one time. Red can. Blew my mind.

RawMeat
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by RawMeat » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:47 pm

pterrus wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:44 pm
RawMeat wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:39 pm I don't recall Scrubs being a nihilistic hellscape, but I was drinking a lot of beast light and benedryl back in the days of Scrubs reruns.
I forget, is beast light more or less common than beast heavy? Like, if someone just says beast with no qualifier, which one are you supposed to assume? It's been a while. I remember seeing a Keystone heavy in WV one time. Red can. Blew my mind.
I don't think I ever knew anyone that drank beast red on purpose. Just Beast = Beast Light, but that was back when people would drink Beast Ice on purpose, so Light was denominate Light vs. Ice.

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:04 pm

Beast Ice is a great product name, wasted

groff_enthusiast
The original good boy.
Cardboard Robot

Post by groff_enthusiast » Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:33 am

Better Call Saul returns Monday, so I'd like to put down why I found the season 6 midseason "cliffhanger" so disappointing.

This got long, so it's worth making this just why I find Season 1 to be incredibly compelling television.

It's worth noting that Breaking Bad was too intense for me, I've only seen 3 episodes. My love for this prequel is carried ONLY on its own merits.
Spoiler!
At its core, Better Call Saul has consistently challenged its ecosystem's relationship with its main character.

I say "ecosystem" because the writers, producers, actors and fans have been challenged. I say "main character" because 6 seasons in, just as Jimmy himself struggles with his identity, so does everyone struggle with his name. The titular Saul Goodman, Criminal Lawyer, or Jimmy McGill.

Season 1 threw that struggle into sharp focus. The production team went from "How long until we can get to Saul" to "How long can we stay with Jimmy". The team (especially the women) LOVED this character more than they expected. This love of Jimmy was what formed the basis of challenging the audience's relationship with Jimmy.

One critical arc of the first season builds with Jimmy's contentious relationship with his brother's law partner. The handsome, privileged and impeccably dressed legacy of Hamlin, Hamlin, McGill: Howard Hamlin.

Introduced as "Darth Vader" we see Hamlin look down on Jimmy from day one, working openly to ruin his career progression, while also driving behind the scenes machinations to further hinder Jimmy. Jimmy fights back as both a lawyer and a grifter, the duality of his character being used for dramatic and comedic effect from the jump.

However, (in no small part due to the temporal impacts of weekly television), the production staff warmed to Hamlin and adjusted their plans. This allowed them to set an absolutely brutal trap for the viewer. - Jimmy own brother, the man he idolized, his reason for attending correspondence law school at the University of American Samoa (Go land crabs!) was the one undermining Jimmy, not Howard.

This betrayal serves not only to shock, but also to re-contextualize the entire season. In particular, that Jimmy has been relentlessly fucking with an innocent man. Now the viewer has to come to terms with those actions. Keep in mind - the grifting is the most popular part of the show!. Are you going to continue to view the world through Jimmy's perspective? Or are you going to have a break with the protagonist? I call this the "Funreliable Narrator", you're naturally drawn into Jimmy's world view because it's really really fun to "be on his team"

If you have that break with the protagonist, it will change the way you feel about emotionally resonant scenes. Take Jimmy's graduation from correspondence law school. Jimmy has completed the entire degree in secret passing the bar, barely, on his third try. Jimmy and Chuck have a rare shining moment together, singing a karaokee duet to a cheering room. The mail room hosts a party for him, as Jimmy naturally assumes he will become an associate. Howard comes down to join them, accepts a slice of cake and asks to speak to Jimmy alone. He closes the door and in a silent scene breaks the bad news to Jimmy.

Just a devastating scene as Jimmy comes crashing down from the top of the world. Howard cruelly casting Jimmy back down into the pit of the mail room.

When you first see this scene, you share Jimmy's devastation and fury at Howard. Except you know that it was Chuck who played a part, cruelly participating in the celebration even as he worked to crush Jimmy's dream. The scene is even more heartbreaking when you know the full context.

Except Except, there's a second twist at play here - a barely passing degree from a degree mill and 3 attempts at the bar are not a slam dunk application for a position at the premier law office in the state. This scene is darkly comedic once you are no longer looking at the world through Jimmy's eyes.

You, as an audience member are challenged through your relationship with Jimmy.
By the end of this season, you should genuinely love Jimmy.
* His passionate, emotionally vulnerable, genuinely touching relationship with Kim
* The passion with which he defends his clients
* The loving sacrifices he makes for his sick brother

But, if _and only if_ you've been paying attention and recontextualizing early interactions based on new information, times you've enjoyed (the core of many a "Best moments compilation") take on a bitter taste.
* Jimmy, who we desperately want to reconcile with his brother has been _dead wrong_ about him. Chuck is the IQ brother, Jimmy is the EQ brother, or is he?
* Jimmy, whose cons bring us such joy has been attacking an innocent man
* Jimmy, who we desperately want to be the smartest man in the room has been a buffoon

The best examples of this genre give you new insight on a re-watch. While that's true for Better Call Saul, more powerfully, you gain a lot on even _thinking_ about earlier interactions with new context. That is as strong a recommendation as I can give.
Ashenai wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:08 pmoh no

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:09 am

I watched the first episode of The Terminal List, and I was actually shocked at how bad the cinematography was. Characters backlit while they're carrying on conversations, bright lights in the distance shining into the camera, dark scenes with no contrast -- it's kind of extraordinary really

Story is alright I guess

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:12 am

I've been rewatching Breaking Bad, except only the episodes with Saul. If you watch only the episodes with Saul, it makes it feel like everything is Saul's fault. Saul is the one who keeps persuading Walt and Jesse to cook up more meth, Saul is the one who introduces everybody with everybody, etc.

Of course this is a bit of an illusion due to Saul being in every episode under this schema, but really, Saul is like hey get out there boys and make us all some more money, what are you waiting for

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:32 pm

groff_enthusiast wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:33 am Better Call Saul returns Monday, so I'd like to put down why I found the season 6 midseason "cliffhanger" so disappointing.

This got long, so it's worth making this just why I find Season 1 to be incredibly compelling television.

It's worth noting that Breaking Bad was too intense for me, I've only seen 3 episodes. My love for this prequel is carried ONLY on its own merits.
Spoiler!
At its core, Better Call Saul has consistently challenged its ecosystem's relationship with its main character.

I say "ecosystem" because the writers, producers, actors and fans have been challenged. I say "main character" because 6 seasons in, just as Jimmy himself struggles with his identity, so does everyone struggle with his name. The titular Saul Goodman, Criminal Lawyer, or Jimmy McGill.

Season 1 threw that struggle into sharp focus. The production team went from "How long until we can get to Saul" to "How long can we stay with Jimmy". The team (especially the women) LOVED this character more than they expected. This love of Jimmy was what formed the basis of challenging the audience's relationship with Jimmy.

One critical arc of the first season builds with Jimmy's contentious relationship with his brother's law partner. The handsome, privileged and impeccably dressed legacy of Hamlin, Hamlin, McGill: Howard Hamlin.

Introduced as "Darth Vader" we see Hamlin look down on Jimmy from day one, working openly to ruin his career progression, while also driving behind the scenes machinations to further hinder Jimmy. Jimmy fights back as both a lawyer and a grifter, the duality of his character being used for dramatic and comedic effect from the jump.

However, (in no small part due to the temporal impacts of weekly television), the production staff warmed to Hamlin and adjusted their plans. This allowed them to set an absolutely brutal trap for the viewer. - Jimmy own brother, the man he idolized, his reason for attending correspondence law school at the University of American Samoa (Go land crabs!) was the one undermining Jimmy, not Howard.

This betrayal serves not only to shock, but also to re-contextualize the entire season. In particular, that Jimmy has been relentlessly fucking with an innocent man. Now the viewer has to come to terms with those actions. Keep in mind - the grifting is the most popular part of the show!. Are you going to continue to view the world through Jimmy's perspective? Or are you going to have a break with the protagonist? I call this the "Funreliable Narrator", you're naturally drawn into Jimmy's world view because it's really really fun to "be on his team"

If you have that break with the protagonist, it will change the way you feel about emotionally resonant scenes. Take Jimmy's graduation from correspondence law school. Jimmy has completed the entire degree in secret passing the bar, barely, on his third try. Jimmy and Chuck have a rare shining moment together, singing a karaokee duet to a cheering room. The mail room hosts a party for him, as Jimmy naturally assumes he will become an associate. Howard comes down to join them, accepts a slice of cake and asks to speak to Jimmy alone. He closes the door and in a silent scene breaks the bad news to Jimmy.

Just a devastating scene as Jimmy comes crashing down from the top of the world. Howard cruelly casting Jimmy back down into the pit of the mail room.

When you first see this scene, you share Jimmy's devastation and fury at Howard. Except you know that it was Chuck who played a part, cruelly participating in the celebration even as he worked to crush Jimmy's dream. The scene is even more heartbreaking when you know the full context.

Except Except, there's a second twist at play here - a barely passing degree from a degree mill and 3 attempts at the bar are not a slam dunk application for a position at the premier law office in the state. This scene is darkly comedic once you are no longer looking at the world through Jimmy's eyes.

* His passionate, emotionally vulnerable, genuinely touching relationship with Kim

But, if _and only if_ you've been paying attention and recontextualizing early interactions based on new information, times you've enjoyed (the core of many a "Best moments compilation") take on a bitter taste.
* Jimmy, who we desperately want to reconcile with his brother has been _dead wrong_ about him. Chuck is the IQ brother, Jimmy is the EQ brother, or is he?
* Jimmy, who we desperately want to be the smartest man in the room has been a buffoon

The best examples of this genre give you new insight on a re-watch. While that's true for Better Call Saul, more powerfully, you gain a lot on even _thinking_ about earlier interactions with new context. That is as strong a recommendation as I can give.
I think Better Call Saul surpasses Breaking Bad at this point, especially after last night's episode!

groff_enthusiast
The original good boy.
Cardboard Robot

Post by groff_enthusiast » Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:13 pm

Doug wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:32 pm
groff_enthusiast wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:33 am Better Call Saul returns Monday, so I'd like to put down why I found the season 6 midseason "cliffhanger" so disappointing.

Spoiler!

I think Better Call Saul surpasses Breaking Bad at this point, especially after last night's episode!
Send long heartfelt message to my beloved Doug
"K"
Ashenai wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:08 pmoh no

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:55 pm

groff_enthusiast wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:13 pm
Doug wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:32 pm

Spoiler!

Send long heartfelt message to my beloved Doug
"K"
Well I thought I was basically agreeing with you lol

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:56 pm

Wait I know how to fix it

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:56 pm

Spoiler!

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:19 pm

I had to buy a new iPad, my old one finally died. The new one came with three free months of Apple TV.

What should I watch?

Luna
...but history refused to change

Post by Luna » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:44 pm

Dantes wrote:I had to buy a new iPad, my old one finally died. The new one came with three free months of Apple TV.

What should I watch?
Ted Lasso

i think that's it

Luna

Post by Luna » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:46 pm

oh, watch Severance. let me know what you think

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:39 am

severance and for all mankind were both good, foundation had parts I enjoyed but overall meh

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:15 am

S e v e r a n c e @___@

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:58 pm

Luna wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:44 pm
Dantes wrote:I had to buy a new iPad, my old one finally died. The new one came with three free months of Apple TV.

What should I watch?
Ted Lasso

i think that's it
you like ted lasso? interesting
with love, your good friend, seathesee

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:19 pm

omg Better Call Saul

Rhea Seehorn for best actress, and Carol Burnett for supporting holy cow

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:22 am

14 years, what a ride