the smallbox moving picture with sound thread (telly vision)

Probably what *this* should be called.
RawMeat
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Re: the smallbox moving picture with sound thread (telly vision)

Post by RawMeat » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:46 pm

Seems like there are a lot of ponies. Are more ponies coming? That would be a lot alot of ponies.

Monty
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Monty » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:51 pm

This will explain the show, the fandom, and what happened to both of them:
The world needs more Bohemian Ear-Spoons

Shiny Days
...but history refused to change

Post by Shiny Days » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:55 pm

RawMeat wrote:Started watching MLP with the kids, mostly because I was going to stab myself in the ear if I heard the Gigantosaurus theme song one more time, and I'm not sure I get it, guys.
what season are you watching

RawMeat
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by RawMeat » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:57 pm

Shiny Days wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:55 pm
RawMeat wrote:Started watching MLP with the kids, mostly because I was going to stab myself in the ear if I heard the Gigantosaurus theme song one more time, and I'm not sure I get it, guys.
what season are you watching
Started at the beginning. Got off to a bit of a rough start, because night time pony thing from the first 2 episodes was kind of terrifyingly out of place for what the rest of the show is. Probably about halfway through season one. Cockatrice episode I think is the last one we watched?

RawMeat
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by RawMeat » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:09 pm

Monty wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:51 pm This will explain the show, the fandom, and what happened to both of them:

I'm not sure I've got 70 minutes of a youtube video in me, should I really try?

Monty
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Monty » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:14 pm

Maybe not. It's a fun video, and I personally find fandom minutia fascinating, but perhaps everybody will not. If the idea of learning details about My Little Pony conventions doesn't excite you, and I can understand why it might not, don't like clear your schedule or anything. Do you care which of Tara Strong and John de Lancie really cares about the fans?
The world needs more Bohemian Ear-Spoons

Shiny Days

Post by Shiny Days » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:24 pm

RawMeat wrote:
Started at the beginning. Got off to a bit of a rough start, because night time pony thing from the first 2 episodes was kind of terrifyingly out of place for what the rest of the show is. Probably about halfway through season one. Cockatrice episode I think is the last one we watched?
man, that's the good stuff too, but if the uh novelty of brightly colourd pastel horses, who actually act like horses, doesn't interest you, and you don't find the characters cute, then, uh.

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:28 pm

my son's really into pokemon. your kid is probably old enough for it now

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:41 pm

RawMeat wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:57 pm night time pony thing from the first 2 episodes was kind of terrifyingly out of place for what the rest of the show is
and that's the tea. Is it?

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:43 pm

I mean I assume you didn't get as far as the brainwashing pony cult thing. Or the mountain-smashing magic battle against the demonic life-draining centaur. Or the changeling queen trying to stage a coup and infiltrate/invade Canterlot. But I think the show has more breadth than you currently expect.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:48 pm

It's been really long, I forget what happened in what season. S1 was mostly slice-of-life, right?

Starprintsky
Adding Machine
Adding Machine

Post by Starprintsky » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:54 am

Ashenai wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:48 pm It's been really long, I forget what happened in what season. S1 was mostly slice-of-life, right?
Feels to me like they try to put something ~Epic~ as the start/end of the seasons, and then in between leans more towards slice of life but continually trends more Extra as seasons advance and they, I dunno, couldn't come up with any more compelling low-key ideas?

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:01 am

It definitely felt like they were catering more towards the adult fans in later seasons. Early episodes were more simple friendship lessons for kids, then later it was Pony Superheroes! Twilight Goes Insane! Time Travel!

Shiny Days

Post by Shiny Days » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:06 am

Ashenai wrote:It definitely felt like they were catering more towards the adult fans in later seasons. Early episodes were more simple friendship lessons for kids, then later it was Pony Superheroes! Twilight Goes Insane! Time Travel!
it's almost like ... something terrible happened

ToadBrews
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by ToadBrews » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:29 am

The real treasure was the fans we made along the way

Starprintsky
Adding Machine
Adding Machine

Post by Starprintsky » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:59 am

Has anyone actually watched Friendship is Withcraft though? I mean with how big of a Jenny fan I am I should have, but I guess I'm just so scared it'll suck

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:05 am

I have, it's good but not amazing! Worth watching. Catchy songs.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:09 pm

i watched some of it, and it was decent, but i didn't like how the voices were similar-but-different
u gotta skate

Starprintsky
Adding Machine
Adding Machine

Post by Starprintsky » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:33 pm

I have to say I was pretty impressed by Jenny's voices flex in that video, though.

RawMeat
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by RawMeat » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:10 pm

Monty wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:14 pm Maybe not. It's a fun video, and I personally find fandom minutia fascinating, but perhaps everybody will not. If the idea of learning details about My Little Pony conventions doesn't excite you, and I can understand why it might not, don't like clear your schedule or anything. Do you care which of Tara Strong and John de Lancie really cares about the fans?
Watched it. It was worth it, I think. I also sort of forgot that she existed so that was a nice reminder, and this is probably a pretty controversial position to be taking, but I think Jenny Nicholson's voice is pretty soothing.

RawMeat
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by RawMeat » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:14 pm

I do wish there was a list of like "these episodes have traumatically scary villains in them" or something though. Like, the description of the cockatrice episode didn't have anything that indicated something that would be scary and then all of a sudden they are warned about a cockatrice in the forest and I'm like "oh, man, that's going to be scary" -- thankfully, the cockatrice was goofy-looking. But like 2 episodes later there is the "diamond dogs" episode (which we did skip based on the description). What the hell age group is this show for? (I know -- thanks Jenny! -- that later seasons are for 30-year olds, but this first season seems pretty erratic as well)

Shiny Days

Post by Shiny Days » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:56 pm

RawMeat wrote:I do wish there was a list of like "these episodes have traumatically scary villains in them" or something though. Like, the description of the cockatrice episode didn't have anything that indicated something that would be scary and then all of a sudden they are warned about a cockatrice in the forest and I'm like "oh, man, that's going to be scary" -- thankfully, the cockatrice was goofy-looking. But like 2 episodes later there is the "diamond dogs" episode (which we did skip based on the description). What the hell age group is this show for? (I know -- thanks Jenny! -- that later seasons are for 30-year olds, but this first season seems pretty erratic as well)
what, no. watch the diamond dogs episode. that's a great rarity episode

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:02 pm

u gotta skate

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:58 pm

Man I haven't listened to Diamond Dogs in a while
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

RawMeat
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by RawMeat » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:30 am

I watched it to see if it would be scary!

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:38 am

Are your kids really too scared to watch MLP episodes?

Starprintsky
Adding Machine
Adding Machine

Post by Starprintsky » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:46 am

My daughter was too scared for the diamond dogs.

RawMeat
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by RawMeat » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:40 pm

Ashenai wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:38 am Are your kids really too scared to watch MLP episodes?
J really doesn't like villains, especially ones that are drawn in the way that you're supposed to know they are villains. I can't tell if they are just scary, or if it's because he's unfortunately inherited my "rule-following gene" because he says it's because he "doesn't like it when they aren't doing what they are supposed to be doing."

In any event, it reminds me of some twitter post I saw that was "rpgs be like: level one - save these kittens; level 40 - KILL GOD" and it's like ... "help applejack finish picking her orchard; STOP SOME NIGHTMARE HORSE FROM PLUNGING THE WORLD INTO ETERNAL DARKNESS"

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:03 pm

RawMeat wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:40 pm
Ashenai wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:38 am Are your kids really too scared to watch MLP episodes?
J really doesn't like villains, especially ones that are drawn in the way that you're supposed to know they are villains. I can't tell if they are just scary, or if it's because he's unfortunately inherited my "rule-following gene" because he says it's because he "doesn't like it when they aren't doing what they are supposed to be doing."
We got a budding paladin here.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

Fry Guy
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Fry Guy » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:35 pm

RawMeat wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:40 pm

In any event, it reminds me of some twitter post I saw that was "rpgs be like: level one - save these kittens; level 40 - KILL GOD" and it's like ... "help applejack finish picking her orchard; STOP SOME NIGHTMARE HORSE FROM PLUNGING THE WORLD INTO ETERNAL DARKNESS"
Dude, just because some unfathomably powerful entity nearly ended the world doesn't mean we can skip apple season.