the smallbox moving picture with sound thread (telly vision)

Probably what *this* should be called.
rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Re: the smallbox moving picture with sound thread (telly vision)

Post by rianalnn » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:28 pm

The plays seemed properly baffling, in that I had no idea what the cards did but it seemed like character a legit wrecked character b, & then they had sex (securities fraud). It was pretty cool.

Subject: crippled masters

Bring on the kung-fu amputees - no arms vs. no legs anyone? A bit of high-speed underground ninja-tunneling is always good as well. I wanna see some shit like that. Crazy monks with gnarly special powers can make any film good. FACT.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:46 pm

rianalnn wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:28 pm The plays seemed properly baffling, in that I had no idea what the cards did but it seemed like character a legit wrecked character b, & then they had sex (securities fraud) (securities fraud). It was pretty cool.
Oh my.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:50 pm

the only complaint is the bit at the start - that's not at all the way a seasoned player would talk. like "i will pay 4 credits, rez the adonis campaign, put 12 credits, and take 3" - a magic equivalent would be "i will tap four forests and five islands to cast Llanowar Elite with kicker, and place five plus one plus one counters on it". nobody talks like that! you would just say "rez this adonis" and move credits around appropriately / tap the lands and say "Llanowar Elite with kicker". unless maybe you can tell me that that character is an extremely precise person, in which case it's actually a bonus.
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:59 pm

and as for the plays in particular:

the corp (first player) install advance advances in what appears to be a naked (meaning completely unprotected) remote. so either the advanced card is an agenda, in which case the runner wants to run it (they will access it and steal it, which prevents the corp from scoring it and probably gets them closer to winning the game), or it's something else, in which case the runner doesn't want to run it because it's either a trap, in which case accessing it will probably hurt the runner somehow or at least be a waste of the runner's time. that's the whole corp's turn.

the runner topdecks The Makers eye (I) and immediately plays it, and pays 9 (expensive!) to get in to R&D. it's hard to know the significance of all of this without more context about the game state, but we can say that the runner is not immediately going after the mysterious card that the corp IAA'd and is instead attacking the corp on another front.

i am curious what the bigger context of these characters is in the show, beyond that they hook up
u gotta skate

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:01 am

Taylor is great at making money, & has been sat in Bad Guy Corp's CIO role (while the proper CIO sits out because Legal Transgressions) but they also have a moral compass, making for interesting character development.

The other fellow is new, a lead generator for Bad Guy Corp in their time of desperate need. I feel like the pedantic I Tap An Island to Add a Blue Mana to My Mana Pool is in-character - he's probably flirting.

It's a cool show, check it out. There is bondage, FYI.

Bring on the kung-fu amputees - no arms vs. no legs anyone? A bit of high-speed underground ninja-tunneling is always good as well. I wanna see some shit like that. Crazy monks with gnarly special powers can make any film good. FACT.

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:03 am

I'm just impressed that the play isn't nonsense, one of the writers clearly actually plays Netrunner.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:28 am

pterrus wrote:I'm just impressed that the play isn't nonsense, one of the writers clearly actually plays Netrunner.
idk if one of the writers actually plays netrunner, but i do know that they literally consulted the netrunner community on that. i think most of the extras in that scene are actual netrunner players
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:34 am

It's a cool show, check it out. There is bondage, FYI.
i actually watched the first few episodes one time because i was on a flight between boston and california and there weren't any more movies i wanted to watch. it was interesting enough (i like how the botox guy DOESN'T cheat on his wife) but when i was done on the plane and the last episode was botox guy being like "i'm out" after the Metallica concert stuff... i just have like 0% empathy for these characters who are swimming in money. not that i think that oh if you have that much money you have to be happy, more like i can't imagine having that much money and then still feeling a need to make even more money, let alone generally being a lol i've got money and imma lord it over you (the building name thing). i like Paul Giamatti in general, and i liked his character and his wife (most interesting part of the show for me), but it wasn't enough where i was like oh i want to watch more of this
u gotta skate

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:43 am

If you had any empathy for Axe, I would be worried about you :lol:
The anxiety of these monied people employed in such high-power roles makes me glad I am small fry :supo:
But yeah, the Rhodes are the best bit of the show. How does Captain Paladin make Great Justice in a dodgy system, & how does his wife deal with being the shrink for Evil Inc? :omg:

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:28 am

well it's like, you have all that money, you could just never work again and be totally fine, so why are you doing this to yourself. but of course the thing is they probably never would have gotten there in the first place if they were not the sort of person that was willing to do that to themselves in the first place.
u gotta skate

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:46 pm

Community is streaming on Netflix now. I haven't watched any of it since it ended (and I never saw the final season). I haven't reached the 1st paintball episode yet, but so far it's not quite as funny as I remembered.

Which is disappointing.

RawMeat
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by RawMeat » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:19 pm

This show: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3952774/
Is fucking amazing.

I also started watching Ozark and feel like (1) episode 1 would have been WAAAY better if I didn't know the premise before I started watching and (2) c'mon, you're clearly consulting a little bit with someone about the lake and you have Jason Bateman call that guy a "redneck" and not a "hoosier," gtfo. Generally it seems fine as a 'breaking bad lite' but Bateman is so good as deadpan comedy guy it's hard to wrap my head around him as this character.

RawMeat
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by RawMeat » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:22 pm

Dantes wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:46 pm Community is streaming on Netflix now. I haven't watched any of it since it ended (and I never saw the final season). I haven't reached the 1st paintball episode yet, but so far it's not quite as funny as I remembered.

Which is disappointing.
I've only watched a few episodes of community ever, but isn't that the show that everyone says season 1 is "fine" and then it gets great? Maybe that was parks and rec? I don't remember p&r ever being bad, though? It's one of those shows from around that time.

Speaking of which... Netflix needs to step up it's quarantine game and get season 4 of good place. Apparently we've been paying for Hulu for like 5 years and not using it and apparently they only have the last 5 days episodes? Wtf is that good for?

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:44 pm

RawMeat wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:19 pm This show: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3952774/
Is fucking amazing.

I also started watching Ozark and feel like (1) episode 1 would have been WAAAY better if I didn't know the premise before I started watching and (2) c'mon, you're clearly consulting a little bit with someone about the lake and you have Jason Bateman call that guy a "redneck" and not a "hoosier," gtfo. Generally it seems fine as a 'breaking bad lite' but Bateman is so good as deadpan comedy guy it's hard to wrap my head around him as this character.
i've heard (very nerdy wildlife) people complain about the wildlife on the show, so I can believe that they got the lingo wrong too
"Ireland’s Ireland and Scotland’s Scotland anyone who thinks different is a cunt" - Liam Gallagher

Monty
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Monty » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:09 pm

RawMeat wrote:
Dantes wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:46 pm Community is streaming on Netflix now. I haven't watched any of it since it ended (and I never saw the final season). I haven't reached the 1st paintball episode yet, but so far it's not quite as funny as I remembered.

Which is disappointing.
I've only watched a few episodes of community ever, but isn't that the show that everyone says season 1 is "fine" and then it gets great? Maybe that was parks and rec? I don't remember p&r ever being bad, though? It's one of those shows from around that time.

Speaking of which... Netflix needs to step up it's quarantine game and get season 4 of good place. Apparently we've been paying for Hulu for like 5 years and not using it and apparently they only have the last 5 days episodes? Wtf is that good for?
(In my opinion...) Community starts out as a good sitcom and then becomes great as it starts getting more and more self-referential and meta, until season 4, when it's terrible. This is partly because Dan Harmon got fired, but also there's a limit to self-referentiality. The last two seasons, after he came back, are okay.

Parks & Rec's first season is straight up bad and should be skipped. It's only six episodes, but there's a fundamental problem with the main character. Leslie Knope starts out as basically Michael Scott from The Office: a buffoon who's terrible at everything. But starting with Season 2, she's great at her job and more optimistic, which is what Amy Poehler is better at. From that point on, I love it. Also, they had to ditch Mark Brendanawicz, a real zero of a character, and start increasing the amount of Chris Pratt. Once Rob Lowe and Adam Scott show up at the end of S2, the show's firing on all cylinders and has figured out what it should be.

I think right now, The Good Place S1-3 is on Netflix, but there's a chance it's going to eventually be confined to Peacock, the new streaming service from NBCUniversal. That's where Parks & Rec is now.
The world needs more Bohemian Ear-Spoons

Skeletor
How'd you know that loving kittens is my one defining trait?
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:22 pm

Everything Monty said
wow, [you]. that all sounds terrible. i hope it gets better for you

RawMeat
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by RawMeat » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:28 pm

I would pay as much as 4 dogecoin for a Monty write up on Stinky & Dirty Show

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:49 pm

i forgot if i linked this here yet or not but i found it an engaging analysis.
"Ireland’s Ireland and Scotland’s Scotland anyone who thinks different is a cunt" - Liam Gallagher

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:51 am

Skeletor wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:22 pm Everything Monty said
Yeah.

With the caveat being that it got great at the end of season 1 with the 1st paintball episode.

Monty
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Monty » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:40 am

Dantes wrote:
Yeah.

With the caveat being that it got great at the end of season 1 with the 1st paintball episode.
Oh yeah, that's a great episode of television, full stop. And that lets me bring up the visual style of the show, which was really top notch, although people tended to talk more about the writing. It was often shot like a movie, and people who worked on it have had giant movie careers.

The first-season paintball episode was directed by Justin Lin, who did Fast & Furious 3-6, and is doing 9. The second-season paintball episode was by Joe Russo, who is one of the two Russos who directed Civil War, Winter Soldier, Infinity War, and Endgame. The Russos are all over Community; one or the other of them directed 48 episodes.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:28 am

Monty wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:40 am
Dantes wrote:
Yeah.

Oh yeah, that's a great episode of television, full stop. And that lets me bring up the visual style of the show, which was really top notch, although people tended to talk more about the writing. It was often shot like a movie, and people who worked on it have had giant movie careers.

The first-season paintball episode was directed by Justin Lin, who did Fast & Furious 3-6, and is doing 9. The second-season paintball episode was by Joe Russo, who is one of the two Russos who directed Civil War, Winter Soldier, Infinity War, and Endgame. The Russos are all over Community; one or the other of them directed 48 episodes.
Yeah, I have been noticing their presence on this watch through. Their names keep popping up all over the credits.

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:25 pm

The worst thing about Community is that Joel McHale has a career now and I hate him in everything post community

Monty
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Monty » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:24 am

Faceless wrote:The worst thing about Community is that Joel McHale has a career now and I hate him in everything post community
I kind of feel that way about Ken Jeong.

On the other hand, I think it's kind of fun when I like someone in one thing and hate their work elsewhere. NewsRadio is one of my favorite shows and I think everyone is great in it, and yet neither Joe Rogan nor Andy Dick has ever been tolerable to me in anything else.

Skeletor
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:28 am

Oh shit I forgot Joe Rogan was in that

I like it when you post about movies Monty

Monty
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Monty » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:41 am

Aw. :wub:

RawMeat
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by RawMeat » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:07 am

Skeletor wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:28 am Oh shit I forgot Joe Rogan was in that

I like it when you post about movies Monty
I'll up my stinky and dirty show offer to 4g of yeast.

Skeletor
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:51 am

Tell us about stinky and dirty RM

Monty
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Monty » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:43 am

Skeletor wrote:Tell us about stinky and dirty RM

Monty
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Monty » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:05 am

Like should I go in blind or is there a particular episode or something?

RawMeat
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by RawMeat » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:18 pm

Monty wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:05 am Like should I go in blind or is there a particular episode or something?
So I think blind might be good, other than just the idea that I think it's good. Like, legit good tv. When I watch something like paw patrol, since I haven't really watched TV in ages it feels like it's amazing, but I know it's because it's like empty caloric pop music. Just hitting notes in my brain that make my brain feel smart and makes me want to buy merch. This show feels like it's actually good. Iirc you are kid-free, so that part of it would be interesting.

I assume you familiar with the "two stories" deal with kids shows (but if not each 20-minute episode is two 10-minute stories).

I asked and Jab he says the best episode is S2E29 (Fire Away/Save Brave) but I actually don't like that episode that much because I think Brave (firetruck) is probably the worst character, but he is Jab's favorite (possibly because Marshall is his favorite paw patrol pup)

My wife says s2e27 (snow cone sliders/trading wheels) is her favorite, I probably like S1E5 (Concrete Plans/Art of Trash) the best.

Rest is a limited spoiler/review typed on mobile trying to get Jab to sleep
Spoiler!
Show is ostensibly based on a book series, but really has nothing to do with the books.

One of the things I really like about it is that for years (like since college) I've been sort of working on this idea for a kids show that is animated and kind of works in some science stuff, but is mostly a kids show. This show does that pretty great. Stinky and Dirty plan out these ways to address problems usually with some kind of physics-type solution, but without being all SCIENCE MOTHER FUCKERS!! like a lot of kids shows do

They also usually have to fix a couple things in an episode, but sometimes they don't work. The "bit" for the show is Dirty drawing out some plans while they both make suggestions that usually start crazy, but end up being reasonable ideas. (Both of them saying "what if..." Which Jab mimics now). However sometimes the idea just doesn't work, so they go back and plan some more ideas. Basically they are not Mary Sue or whatever the thing is where the protagonist always has everything be perfect.

Also the problems are generally construction related, but MOST of the time it's not nearly as violent as problems in most kids shows (Smash, the wrecking ball crane, sticks out as one where it gets a little violent-ish).

So it's cute, it's science-y in a not-overt way, and has built in a "things don't always work" message which (again) is not anywhere near as overt as most kids shows try to be with that message. It hits a lot of notes that you want in a kid show in a non-ham-fisted way.