the smallbox moving picture with sound thread (telly vision)

Probably what *this* should be called.
Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Re: the smallbox moving picture with sound thread (telly vision)

Post by Doug » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:09 pm

alright wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:51 pm
Juri wrote:i thought they already made the tv show
was the recent thing not a tv show?
it didn't get "cancelled," it got "not renewed for a second season," despite the first season, i guess, ending on a cliffhanger
Canceling a show almost always means "after the Nth season"

I would submit that on prime cable networks, it literally always means this
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:41 am

Doug wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:08 am Watchmen TV show canceled
Why? Did Ozymandius do something truly unconscionable, like misusing Dr. Manhattan’s pronouns?
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:15 pm

My adverbs are "totally" and "however"

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:50 pm

Terry Jones, of Monty Python, has passed away

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:17 pm

Doug wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:50 pm Terry Jones, of Monty Python, has passed away
Yeah, it came up in scrum this morning. I feel like the world is slightly less absurd now (and not in a good way).

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:07 pm

i thought the new curb was pretty good. it was a bit rapid fire, but i imagine this was his attempt to sort of start with a bang, and the fact that he probably had a lot of rages stored up.

i watched avenue 5, the new space comedy (?) with hugh laurie in it. i was pleasantly surprised. will watch episode 2.
with love, your good friend, seathesee

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:10 pm

seathesee wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:07 pm i watched avenue 5, the new space comedy (?) with hugh laurie in it. i was pleasantly surprised. will watch episode 2.
Am holding out new space TV hopes for Steve Carrell's new space farce, Space Force.

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:10 am

i just watched a netflix stand up comedy thing by bo... bo someone

it was amazing. highly recommend

alright
...but history refused to change

Post by alright » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:17 am

Khaos wrote:i just watched a netflix stand up comedy thing by bo... bo someone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z0RxTEJRkc

Juri
We're Knights of the Round Table
We attack each turn if able
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:40 am

Khaos wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:10 am i just watched a netflix stand up comedy thing by bo... bo someone

yeah he's real good. that closing act ftw

alright

Post by alright » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:28 pm

it looks like technology is enabling us to enter into a new phase of movie making, if you could call it that. i don't actually think there's been that many phases -- sound, models, cgi, green screen. there's always been matte-ing and stuff and green screens have been around for a while but there's def significant stages, right -- so this is pretty exciting.

but then what is this doing in the tv show thread. well it turns out that the mandalorian was something of a testing ground for industrial light and magic's adoption of that new technology. and i guess it went off without a hitch because it turns out the entire fucking thing was filmed entirely in a sound stage and nobody had any idea

i mean maybe you did if you read press junkets or something, but anyway that's a seventy five foot wide led screen that replaced / is replacing having a guy just walk around in a green room, and the technology is so much better than replacing a green screen with something in post processing. like d00ds can just jump into the scenery itself, like actually with vr, and then make on the spot adjustments, handle the lighting, which is plugged into the stage lighting, change the lenses, move objects, stage things properly.

there's a video for this that has already been posted by haplo, so credit to him, but i had no idea that the technology was actually like this good to go. but it makes sense that it'd be favreau doing it since he's been jumping into virtual reality already to stage and set up his cgi movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bErPsq5 ... e=youtu.be

and then here's an article about the behind the scenes of the mandalorian / this technology and how it's going to be showing up in more things except not the obi wan thing that they say it will be in because that got put on ice

https://www.slashfilm.com/the-mandalorian-stagecraft/

five years to "grow" the crystals on the tv, though, so this probably isn't going to be appearing overnight. neat stuff, tho

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:31 pm

whoa

Subject: crippled masters

Bring on the kung-fu amputees - no arms vs. no legs anyone? A bit of high-speed underground ninja-tunneling is always good as well. I wanna see some shit like that. Crazy monks with gnarly special powers can make any film good. FACT.

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:44 pm

re:The Good Place
"Ireland’s Ireland and Scotland’s Scotland anyone who thinks different is a cunt" - Liam Gallagher

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:02 am

Adam Driver on SNL is such a treat.

Subject: crippled masters

Bring on the kung-fu amputees - no arms vs. no legs anyone? A bit of high-speed underground ninja-tunneling is always good as well. I wanna see some shit like that. Crazy monks with gnarly special powers can make any film good. FACT.

alright

Post by alright » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:08 am

adam driver is a treat. watch logan lucky if you havent yet

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:57 am

alright wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:08 am adam driver is a treat. watch logan lucky if you havent yet
Yep. The entire cast was good in that. He was great.

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:19 am

Maybe I'm just dumb but The Witcher seemed like it was telling a linear narrative up until S1E6, and when it's not obvious that different storylines are happening decades apart it makes it really tough to follow who the various factions and characters are. It probably works for people who know the setting, but for me it really hindered the world building, to have little references to Sintra or Niflgard or whomever without realising the actual chronology of things. Seeing some dude in S1E5 and thinking "he looks kinda like a boy from S1E1" when it's literally the same guy but out of order
"Ireland’s Ireland and Scotland’s Scotland anyone who thinks different is a cunt" - Liam Gallagher

Monty
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Monty » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:30 am

I bounced off of The Witcher because I wasn't paying enough attention to notice multiple timelines, so I thought they were just cutting randomly around between stories, which I'm still not 100% convinced they weren't. So I watched two episodes and never got back to it.

But I liked it enough to try Witcher 3 again, since I also bounced off that when I tried to play it. Now that I feel like I have context for Geralt and Yennefer and whatnot, the game feels more appealing. So maybe I'll end up bouncing back and forth between the two.
The world needs more Bohemian Ear-Spoons

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:40 am

The timeline jumps were not necessarily a bad decision, but they were very poorly done.

Monty
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Monty » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:58 am

I don't think they gained anything from making the timeline stuff hard to notice.
The world needs more Bohemian Ear-Spoons

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:38 am

Part of it for me is distinguishing between aesthetic themes vs having literally the same people. Episode one introduces this warrior queen with this amazing visual look about her, all cheekbones and armour and eye (I) shadow. We get several episodes with a variety of female centric stories, then we meet another warrior queen with a very similar aesthetic. It can't be the first one though because of her narrative in E1, so I guess this is the fashion in this nation within the setting? Or perhaps worse is the little flavour text snippets about Nilfgard presented out of order so i hear "Napoleon has cemented control over France and is moving on Spain", "The French are revolting, I hear they plan to execute the king" and "Luis is even less popular than his predecessor, the French might revolt" and I'm unsure if I'm misremembering names and events.

God damn the visual aesthetics and makeup design and costumes and so on are incredible though

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:57 pm

except the nilfgaard armor

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:59 pm

supposedly a timeline was released and is available on netflix to help you understand whats going on. im not sure if its worth it to people to look at a secondary document to understand a show better, but its there. kind of nice thta they did that i guess.

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:27 pm

TGP had a wonderful and emotional finale and I'm so grateful that the show never outstayed its welcome or shirt the bed or anything

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:11 pm

Faceless wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:27 pm TGP had a wonderful and emotional finale and I'm so grateful that the show never outstayed its welcome or shirt the bed or anything
I haven't watched the finale yet (tonight), but I've been a bit disappointed with the back half of the season. While there were some great moments, they've really been a little too neat in wrapping things up. Last week for example. The entire idea of the afterlife is that it is infinity. The scenario they posed was hampered by the writer's inability to comprehend what the infinite might be like, hence the entire premise was a bit lacking, and the solution was entirely too trite.

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:26 pm

I binged the entirety of Don't F**k with Cats last night. I didn't intend to do it, but after the first episode I knew it was happening.

It's a 3 episode docuseries, the premise at the start is that some internet sleuths on Facebook are trying to find a guy in an internet video suffocating kittens in a vacuum bag. But then it takes a turn.

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:08 pm

i watched the first episode of dont fuck with cats but i had to stop. i knew the story because ive heard more than one podcast discussing it. after they showed the cats actually being killed, i decided i didnt want to see how they treated the second half of the story. i cant watch that stuff. i had to look away with the cats.

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:10 pm

i thought the bojack final half season was really good. im not sure i wouldve had it end that way, but it was good nonetheless. it also had one of my favorite little two second scene transition bit of the whole series (as i recall):
Spoiler!
when bojack is going to the er, there is a possum being brought in on a stretcher, and he jumps up and scares the emergency workers a second before the scene transitions.

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:02 pm

seathesee wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:10 pm i thought the bojack final half season was really good. im not sure i wouldve had it end that way, but it was good nonetheless. it also had one of my favorite little two second scene transition bit of the whole series (as i recall):
Spoiler!
when bojack is going to the er, there is a possum being brought in on a stretcher, and he jumps up and scares the emergency workers a second before the scene transitions.
that was a great background gag yeah
Spoiler!
I also really liked the emotional notes the last episode hit on, where it's like his relationships with the other three are ending but it's all going out on a pleasant enough note? like, a friendly "So this is the last time we'll ever speak to each other".
E: like it's great because it's giving closure and it's analogous for our relationship to Bojack himself. Things are over now, but that's... okay.

also oh my god The View From Halfway Down was tough

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:09 pm

Faceless wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:02 pm
Spoiler!
I also really liked the emotional notes the last episode hit on, where it's like his relationships with the other three are ending but it's all going out on a pleasant enough note? like, a friendly "So this is the last time we'll ever speak to each other".
E: like it's great because it's giving closure and it's analogous for our relationship to Bojack himself. Things are over now, but that's... okay.

also oh my god The View From Halfway Down was tough
Spoiler!
i think the last episode was my least favorite. i agree with your take, but it kind of took me til the end of the episode to come around that way.

i think it would have been better if he had actually died, and the last episode was people reflecting on his death and who he was. the ending they went with definitely fits the theme of eventual redemption when you work for it, though. i thought the commentary on the memory of society was pretty spot on also.

wrt the view from the hallway down--i half agree with you. i kept going back and forth while watching between "this is the greatest episode ever" and "this is slow and boring and a bit too much". i had a bit of a time getting through it, but overall i thought it was really well done.
also wrt the view from the hallway down. did you, or anyone who watched it have to google "is zach braff dead?" after?