the smallbox moving picture with sound thread (telly vision)

Probably what *this* should be called.
Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Re: the smallbox moving picture with sound thread (telly vision)

Post by Doug » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:27 pm

I like the way Loki ended, at least
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:11 pm

interdimensional cable is great but again seems like a weird place to start
meeseeks i wouldn't recommend because of
Spoiler!
the attempted rape part
u gotta skate

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:01 pm

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:42 pm

can judges smile in court?
u gotta skate

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:51 pm

yes but they don't because the law makes them sad

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:20 pm

That was great. I almost stopped watching before the good part and I'm glad I didn't.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:25 pm

I had never seen it before today

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:30 pm

i enjoyed roiland cracking up at "this ain't austrailia"

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:50 pm

A couple of thoughts about Loki:

Spoiler!
  • It's kind of a shame that Jonathan Majors' casting as Kang in the next Antman had already been announced. Seeing him as the guy behind the TVA and knowing he (or some version of him) is Kang kind of kills off the speculative fun a bit.
  • So, the 'bad guy' was just Rick Sanchez? Dimension hopping super scientist. Basically the smartest man alive. Insane. Infinite alternate realities. And the pre-war working together was just the Council of Ricks (Which itself was likely a riff on the Council of Kangs).
  • I liked the kiss and twist. It's Loki so there has to be a Face Heel Turn at some point. Having it come from Sylvie rather than Loki preserves the character growth of our Loki, allows for the unavoidable betrayal to come from a different direction, and points up that no matter what she says, Sylvie is still a Loki.
  • The series has to be seen as a whole before it is evaluated. The MCU Loki is kind of a tragic figure. He's fated to stand in Thor's shadow, to fail, to betray everyone he loves, and to die badly. The series is really about him coming to grips with that, to accept who he is, and to chose to be more than that. It's definitely surreal, much like a lot of the 70's era Marvel stuff, but it's also a Hero's Journey. I like it (what can I say, I'm a fan of the monomyth), and I am really looking forward to where it goes in the future.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:11 pm

So then, here's a silly nerd-type question about the MCU

When does Loki take place?

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:17 pm

Neverwhen*

*Actually the name of a grand citadel outside of time and space in a D&D campaign setting I've been designing for fun.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:28 pm

lol

In a way, it takes place immediately following the first Avengers movie
Spoiler!
Immediately following the first Avengers movie, there's a time fork:

- Loki is sent to Asgard and prison
- Loki also escapes using the Tesseract because the Avengers time-travel and accidentally allow him to get it

Both of these timelines are "immediately following the first Avengers movie." Of course, all the subsequent movies are in the first of these timelines, except Endgame sort of

Loki takes places in the second timeline. Now in the Loki show, we see that the TVA does not allow alternate timelines. There's only one timeline. However, note that this is incompatible with all the other MCU films. As of Infinity War, there definitely are multiple timelines -- Dr. Strange says so. And also note that as of the end of Loki season one, the multiple timelines are restored.

So in a way, not only does the start of Loki take place immediately following the first Avengers movie, but the end of Loki also takes place "before" the events of Infinity War. Loki (the show) is wrapped up prior to Infinity War occurring

So if you wanted to watch the MCU "in chronological order," you couldn't say it was incorrect to place Loki immediately following Avengers 1. Obviously this would spoil several movies, though

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:15 am

Rewatching the first episode of Loki -- I'm enjoying it 10 times more than the first time, because I'm noticing something I didn't really notice the first time
Spoiler!
Everything about the TVA is Earth-centric. Besides the obvious 1950s iconography and decor, the intro video that Loki is shown when he arrives even shows a cartoon Earth. The TVA investigators' jumps are to Earth time periods. The first time, I didn't overtly notice this or think about it, but perhaps unconsciously it gave me a kind of "this is low-budget" or "this is unimaginative" feeling. But seeing it the second time -- of course it's all Earth-centric. The mastermind behind the scenes is a human being, from 31st Century Earth.

It's funny because not noticing or really thinking about this the first time made me think the villain would be another Loki, or perhaps a being from another planet, but the show was screaming clues at us that it's a human. A human with a sense of humor and nostalgia about Earth's past, really.

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:11 am

Jeb Bush 2012 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:45 am I'm rewatching babylon 5 and I remembered the resolution to the main arc sucking ass and yet somehow it's worse! the good stuff about the show is still very good though
update: after getting four seasons into my second watch through of it I just noticed what was going on with minbari ears. what the fuck

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:58 pm

pterrus wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:37 pm This is probably a good time to add that the Rick and Morty announcer pack for Dota 2 was incredible and I think I miss it more than I miss actually playing Dota.
this & the deadmau5 music pack were *far* better than a cashgrab tie in ever should be
"Ireland’s Ireland and Scotland’s Scotland anyone who thinks different is a cunt" - Liam Gallagher

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:31 pm

Dantes wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:50 pm A couple of thoughts about Loki:

Spoiler!
  • It's kind of a shame that Jonathan Majors' casting as Kang in the next Antman had already been announced. Seeing him as the guy behind the TVA and knowing he (or some version of him) is Kang kind of kills off the speculative fun a bit.
  • So, the 'bad guy' was just Rick Sanchez? Dimension hopping super scientist. Basically the smartest man alive. Insane. Infinite alternate realities. And the pre-war working together was just the Council of Ricks (Which itself was likely a riff on the Council of Kangs).
  • I liked the kiss and twist. It's Loki so there has to be a Face Heel Turn at some point. Having it come from Sylvie rather than Loki preserves the character growth of our Loki, allows for the unavoidable betrayal to come from a different direction, and points up that no matter what she says, Sylvie is still a Loki.
  • The series has to be seen as a whole before it is evaluated. The MCU Loki is kind of a tragic figure. He's fated to stand in Thor's shadow, to fail, to betray everyone he loves, and to die badly. The series is really about him coming to grips with that, to accept who he is, and to chose to be more than that. It's definitely surreal, much like a lot of the 70's era Marvel stuff, but it's also a Hero's Journey. I like it (what can I say, I'm a fan of the monomyth), and I am really looking forward to where it goes in the future.
I guess I'm glad I don't know who that character is, that he's been cast as.
"Ireland’s Ireland and Scotland’s Scotland anyone who thinks different is a cunt" - Liam Gallagher

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:44 am

Faceless wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:31 pm

Spoiler!
He's the next big bad in the MCU, replacing Thanos.

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:11 pm

Dantes wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:44 am

Spoiler!
Well, the good news I enjoy him on screen

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:35 pm

Faceless wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:11 pm
Yeah, he was a lot of fun. I've never seen him in anything before, but I'm guessing he probably has a lot of range. Given who the character is, we're likely to see multiple versions of him.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:35 pm

Dantes wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:35 pm

Yeah, he was a lot of fun. I've never seen him in anything before, but I'm guessing he probably has a lot of range. Given who the character is, we're likely to see multiple versions of him.
He's in Lovecraft Country

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:37 pm

Doug wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:35 pm
Dantes wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:35 pm
He's in Lovecraft Country
Yeah I know, I'm just not a huge fan of horror so I've not watched it.

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:58 pm

Lovecraft Country was, uh, a show? It wasn't *bad*, but I still don't know exactly how I feel about it.

The first episode was incredible. The next two were a bit disappointing, and then by about episode 4 I had figured out that it was going for a kind of genre-hopping thing where different episodes would have a different tone and style of horror to it. There were some really enjoyable performances and characters, but the general plot didn't hugely grip me and I never watched the last episode.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:59 pm

Faceless wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:58 pm Lovecraft Country was, uh, a show? It wasn't *bad*, but I still don't know exactly how I feel about it.

The first episode was incredible. The next two were a bit disappointing, and then by about episode 4 I had figured out that it was going for a kind of genre-hopping thing where different episodes would have a different tone and style of horror to it. There were some really enjoyable performances and characters, but the general plot didn't hugely grip me and I never watched the last episode.
I gave up after episode 2

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:02 pm

Faceless wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:58 pm Lovecraft Country was, uh, a show? It wasn't *bad*, but I still don't know exactly how I feel about it.

The last episode is worth your time, the ending really stuck with me. There were definitely some questionable ones in there though.

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:04 pm

Doug wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:59 pm

I gave up after episode 2
I think the big thing you've missed doing that is Michael K Williams (Omar from The Wire) who had some good character moments

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:12 pm

I kind of think it was but that might just be the contrast with how good it seemed like it was going to be at first
pterrus wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:02 pm The last episode is worth your time, the ending really stuck with me. There were definitely some questionable ones in there though.
I thought the last episode was bad but nowhere near the low point of the show
Spoiler!
the low point was the awful vietnam (e: korea!) subplot. but the closing bit bit where the kid randomly turns up to do a murder was such a heavy-handed attempt at being gritty or whatever, ugh

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:32 pm

Jeb Bush 2012 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:12 pm
I kind of think it was but that might just be the contrast with how good it seemed like it was going to be at first
pterrus wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:02 pm The last episode is worth your time, the ending really stuck with me. There were definitely some questionable ones in there though.
Spoiler!
the low point was the awful vietnam subplot. but the closing bit bit where the kid randomly turns up to do a murder was such a heavy-handed attempt at being gritty or whatever, ugh
i guess Korea really is the Forgotten War, huh

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:37 pm

Faceless wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:32 pm i guess Korea really is the Forgotten War, huh
oops

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:41 pm

i think one could plausibly call it a Vietnam War Episode in the same way that Annihilation was a Vietnam War Movie or Star Wars was a WW2 movie, in terms of drawing on tropes and themes associated with Vietnam War media?

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:47 pm

Faceless wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:32 pm
Jeb Bush 2012 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:12 pm
Spoiler!
the low point was the awful vietnam subplot. but the closing bit bit where the kid randomly turns up to do a murder was such a heavy-handed attempt at being gritty or whatever, ugh
i guess Korea really is the Forgotten War, huh
I don't know what you're talking about. It lasted eleven seasons, netted eight Golden Globes, and an at the time unprecedented fourteen Emmy's!