the smallbox moving picture with sound thread (telly vision)

Probably what *this* should be called.
Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Re: the smallbox moving picture with sound thread (telly vision)

Post by Faceless » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:27 pm

seathesee wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:09 pm
Faceless wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:02 pm
Spoiler!
I also really liked the emotional notes the last episode hit on, where it's like his relationships with the other three are ending but it's all going out on a pleasant enough note? like, a friendly "So this is the last time we'll ever speak to each other".
E: like it's great because it's giving closure and it's analogous for our relationship to Bojack himself. Things are over now, but that's... okay.

also oh my god The View From Halfway Down was tough
Spoiler!
i think the last episode was my least favorite. i agree with your take, but it kind of took me til the end of the episode to come around that way.

i think it would have been better if he had actually died, and the last episode was people reflecting on his death and who he was. the ending they went with definitely fits the theme of eventual redemption when you work for it, though. i thought the commentary on the memory of society was pretty spot on also.

wrt the view from the hallway down--i half agree with you. i kept going back and forth while watching between "this is the greatest episode ever" and "this is slow and boring and a bit too much". i had a bit of a time getting through it, but overall i thought it was really well done.
also wrt the view from the hallway down. did you, or anyone who watched it have to google "is zach braff dead?" after?
oh i mean specifically the titular poem, rather than the episode as a whole.
"Ireland’s Ireland and Scotland’s Scotland anyone who thinks different is a cunt" - Liam Gallagher

Hoshi
Fallen Star
Cardboard Robot

Post by Hoshi » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:05 am

pterrus wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:26 pm I binged the entirety of Don't F**k with Cats last night. I didn't intend to do it, but after the first episode I knew it was happening.

It's a 3 episode docuseries, the premise at the start is that some internet sleuths on Facebook are trying to find a guy in an internet video suffocating kittens in a vacuum bag. But then it takes a turn.
I came in like halfway because a friend had already watched a bunch of it before I was over their place but yeah, fascinating stuff.

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:32 pm

IDK if there's ever been a season of television I've watched that was worse (relative to the previous season) than S2 of Westworld and I feel genuine apathy towards the thought of watching S3
"Ireland’s Ireland and Scotland’s Scotland anyone who thinks different is a cunt" - Liam Gallagher

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:49 pm

Faceless wrote:
IDK if there's ever been a season of television I've watched that was worse (relative to the previous season) than S2 of Westworld and I feel genuine apathy towards the thought of watching S3
did you watch sherlock season 3? I haven't seen WW s2 though

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:31 pm

haplo wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:49 pm
Faceless wrote:
did you watch sherlock season 3? I haven't seen WW s2 though
Did you mean Sherlock Season 4?

Season three had some really good parts.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:33 pm

Dantes wrote:

no, s3 is when it turned into a soap opera instead of a detective show, and the final episode in s3 was a nightmare
I think s3e1 might have been ok

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:43 pm

haplo wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:33 pm
Dantes wrote:

no, s3 is when it turned into a soap opera instead of a detective show, and the final episode in s3 was a nightmare
I think s3e1 might have been ok
Fair enough.

I'd dispute that it was ever a detective show, it was always more of an adventure show, but it did get a bit soapy towards the end of episode 3. I really enjoyed the wedding episode (S03E01) quite a lot though, I felt like they were at the top of their game portraying how that Sherlock would deal with a wedding/bachelor party.

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:23 am

Sherlock I feel is perhaps more gradual but that's more the pacing of that as a show, it's a good example. Also sherlock is retrospectively not great but I still love WW S1

Monty
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Monty » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:47 am

I wrote a recap of the Westworld S2 finale, and I feel sorry for the people who tried to read it. I did my best, but it's hard to summarize a show so determined to baffle the audience so that it can surprise them with unexpected reveals.
The world needs more Bohemian Ear-Spoons

Juri
We're Knights of the Round Table
We attack each turn if able
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:17 am

should i watch WW s1

Still Alive
Cardboard Rima
Let's party like it's 1899

Post by Still Alive » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:30 am

Faceless wrote: IDK if there's ever been a season of television I've watched that was worse (relative to the previous season) than S2 of Westworld and I feel genuine apathy towards the thought of watching S3
sliding into the thread

Monty
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Monty » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:44 am

Juri wrote:should i watch WW s1
Sure! The atmosphere and acting are really good. It just kind of doesn't go anywhere (or hasn't yet), so don't get too hung up on the plot. If you enjoy trying to guess plot twists in advance, it's got that going for it too.
The world needs more Bohemian Ear-Spoons

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:13 am

Still Alive wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:30 am
Faceless wrote: IDK if there's ever been a season of television I've watched that was worse (relative to the previous season) than S2 of Westworld and I feel genuine apathy towards the thought of watching S3
sliding into the thread
u goin to share with the class?

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:50 am

Juri wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:17 am should i watch WW s1
i think i enjoyed season 1 of westworld more than any season of television in recent memory. the subject matter is pretty up my ally, though.
with love, your good friend, seathesee

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:57 am

WW season 2 is fun, if you set aside the high tide mark season 1 left & release any need for coherancy.

& yeah, AI going nutz is good times, I'll be watching s3.

Subject: crippled masters

Bring on the kung-fu amputees - no arms vs. no legs anyone? A bit of high-speed underground ninja-tunneling is always good as well. I wanna see some shit like that. Crazy monks with gnarly special powers can make any film good. FACT.

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:06 am

seathesee wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:50 am
i think i enjoyed season 1 of westworld more than any season of television in recent memory.

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:20 pm

Westworld season 2 wasn't that bad. Yeah it had serious structural problems but it had some really interesting ideas and I don't regret watching it.

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:29 pm

pterrus wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:20 pm Westworld season 2 wasn't that bad. Yeah it had serious structural problems but it had some really interesting ideas and I don't regret watching it.

Hoshi
Fallen Star
Cardboard Robot

Post by Hoshi » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:39 am

Still Alive wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:30 am
sliding into the thread
:rofl:

Hoshi
Fallen Star
Cardboard Robot

Post by Hoshi » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:40 am

Didn't even make it through Westworld S1E1

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:56 am

Chris Nolan is responsible for a lot of stuff I really like. I’m going to give West World sipome room before I declare it a failure.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:57 am

i think i enjoyed season 1 of westworld more than any season of television in recent memory. the subject matter is pretty up my ally, though.
If you didn’t watch Person of Interest, you owe it to yourself to check it out.

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:38 am

I watched The Good Place. I generally enjoyed it although I think it would have been better if it was 2/3 as long to avoid some of the repetition.

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:47 pm

Dantes wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:56 am Chris Nolan is responsible for a lot of stuff I really like. I’m going to give West World sipome room before I declare it a failure.
Jonathan Nolan is Chris Nolan's brother, in case you're accidentally crediting the wrong Nolan.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:21 am

Faceless wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:47 pm
Dantes wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:56 am Chris Nolan is responsible for a lot of stuff I really like. I’m going to give West World sipome room before I declare it a failure.
Jonathan Nolan is Chris Nolan's brother, in case you're accidentally crediting the wrong Nolan.
I am not. Jonathan co-wrote much of the stuff Chris directed, and Jonathan is the guy behind Person of Interest.

EDIT: And I just realized I typed Chris instead of Jonathan in my original post. I did mean Jonathan though.

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:07 pm

Dantes wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:57 am
its been on the periphery of my list for a bit now. ill check it out when i see it on [streaming service i am currently subscribed to].

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:06 pm

seathesee wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:07 pm

its been on the periphery of my list for a bit now. ill check it out when i see it on [streaming service i am currently subscribed to].
It's on Netflix.

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:39 pm

Dantes wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:06 pm

It's on Netflix.
wife and i watched a couple of episodes of this last night. we both liked it, but would go to our phones or talk during it semi-frequently. i see it as more of a watch while distracted or going to sleep show, more then a watch with full attention (like westworld is for me).

it seems to follow the progression of a law and order type show pretty well, but instead of victim reports staring things off its magic computer readouts, and instead of a trial or a chase there are ambushes and fight scenes. i tend to like this show structure, so i wouldnt be surprised if we end up watching all 5 seasons in some capacity. thanks for the recommendation!

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:19 pm

seathesee wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:39 pm
Dantes wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:06 pm

It's on Netflix.
wife and i watched a couple of episodes of this last night. we both liked it, but would go to our phones or talk during it semi-frequently. i see it as more of a watch while distracted or going to sleep show, more then a watch with full attention (like westworld is for me).

it seems to follow the progression of a law and order type show pretty well, but instead of victim reports staring things off its magic computer readouts, and instead of a trial or a chase there are ambushes and fight scenes. i tend to like this show structure, so i wouldnt be surprised if we end up watching all 5 seasons in some capacity. thanks for the recommendation!
I hope you enjoy it. It's a personal favorite.

So just something to be aware of, the show starts out as you described, sort of a serial "pre"-cedural, but it quickly transitions to "day after tomorrow" science fiction. By the end of the run it is heavily plot driven with an overarching story line, the roots of which you realize were actually there from day one (They put some serious thought into the Machine and the implications of the same). Also there is some significant character development (Fusco in particular is developed and grows across the series, he gets a serious crowning moment of awesome about half way through season 3).

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:10 am

Now, with a rumored working title of “Pilgrim,” the Obi-Wan Kenobi series is
ohhhhhh work it

Subject: crippled masters

Bring on the kung-fu amputees - no arms vs. no legs anyone? A bit of high-speed underground ninja-tunneling is always good as well. I wanna see some shit like that. Crazy monks with gnarly special powers can make any film good. FACT.