this thread is for posting in

Probably what *this* should be called.
pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Re: this thread is for posting in

Post by pterrus » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:14 pm

Two days after tropical storm Isaias and this is still the view from my driveway. It could be over a week until we get power back.
Spoiler!
IMG_20200804_170720.jpg
IMG_20200804_170720.jpg (4.03 MiB) Viewed 803 times

But the reason I'm posting is that earlier today I was outside talking to a neighbor across the street, and while we were talking, two girls in an SUV approached the tree, then literally yelled "YOLO" and drove around the pole and under the wires. It was fucking surreal.

Kind of a metaphor for America in 2020 now that I think about it.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:20 pm

jeffy spaghetti
u gotta skate

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:00 pm

did they drive under the tree or around it? that thing falling on your car seems like the bigger hazard

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:00 pm

double post

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:30 pm

They went to the right, onto that dude's lawn and under the trunk and the wires.

Still Alive
Cardboard Rima
Let's party like it's 1899

Post by Still Alive » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:05 pm

man, what a rude branch

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:10 pm

Still Alive wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:05 pm man, what a rude branch
It is a gg branch.

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:05 am

The tree got removed Friday and our power got restored Saturday, after 4 full days. We were so happy. We went to grocery store to restock our fridge, then went on a walk with the baby, talking about how good it was to not have to live like nomads in a pandemic, begging people for fridge space for breast milk and stuff. I took a stump from the offending tree home as a souvenir of this challenging time that was finally behind us.

Last night we lost power again for no apparent reason. :(

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:17 pm

We're back again baby. An unadvertised feature of the Roomba is that you can tell if your power is on remotely.

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:18 pm

wb

now go reset all your clocks again

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:51 pm

i am looking at hand soap refill things on amazon, and
Fragrance free
Contains vitamins and natural exfoliants
Paraben-free, gluten-free, PETA certified, 100% vegan, and cruelty-free
1-Gallon
gluten-free? :lol:
are there people who are allergic to mere contact with gluten, like not even ingesting it? or who are so sensitive that if it's on their hands and they eat something then they have problems?
googling https://www.soapysoapcompany.com/blog/2 ... -free-soap
1. Why should soap be gluten free?
This question is best answered with a story: soon after Soapy Soap Co. was founded,
:lol: :lol:
(looks like the answer is: yes, at least according to this one link)
u gotta skate

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:54 pm

Crunchums wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:51 pm i am looking at hand soap refill things on amazon, and
Fragrance free
Contains vitamins and natural exfoliants
Paraben-free, gluten-free, PETA certified, 100% vegan, and cruelty-free
1-Gallon
gluten-free? :lol:
are there people who are allergic to mere contact with gluten, like not even ingesting it? or who are so sensitive that if it's on their hands and they eat something then they have problems?
googling https://www.soapysoapcompany.com/blog/2 ... -free-soap
1. Why should soap be gluten free?
This question is best answered with a story: soon after Soapy Soap Co. was founded,
:lol: :lol:
(looks like the answer is: yes, at least according to this one link)
people with celiac disease can get screwed by remarkably small amounts of gluten, although idk if soap can do it

also, and separately from the medical reasons that can lead to someone having to avoid gluten, there's a whole subculture of people who are "gluten-free" for nonsense reasons, so finding an excuse to label stuff "gluten-free" helps you to sell to them

KingRamz
We are not amused.
Cardboard Robot

Post by KingRamz » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:10 pm

Jeb Bush 2012 wrote: people with celiac disease can get screwed by remarkably small amounts of gluten, although idk if soap can do it
This is my wife. I'm not sure that having it on her skin would be a problem, but eating something that's cross-contaminated can make her sick, and if her soap has gluten in it it is of course going to get on her hands and get ingested that way. We had to throw out all our tupperware when she got diagnosed because it was potentially contaminated (glass, metal and ceramics were fine after a thorough cleaning).The people who do GF for nonsense reasons irritate me on one hand, but on the other there is probably a bunch of stuff that's easier to find GF because they exist

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:26 pm

that's all reasonable, but what i'm imagining is someone looking at this gallon of hand soap like "oh great, it's gluten-free!" and then chugging it
u gotta skate

KingRamz
We are not amused.
Cardboard Robot

Post by KingRamz » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:56 pm

I mean, how else are you going to keep from getting covid

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:09 pm

it's a common myth that drinking soap will protect your insides from covid - you need to scrub them for at least twenty seconds as well

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:34 am

ok rt here's my computer problem, how do I fix it

every now and then my computer gets in this state where 3d applications stop working. the window will open but it's a black screen that hangs forever (or sometimes the screen never opens at all, but the process is still running in task manager) and I have to kill the application. all 3d applications (games) stay this way until I reset my computer. as a bonus, trying to reset or power off my computer when it's in this state causes Windows to hang on the "resetting..." screen forever and I have to flip the actual the power switch on the tower. after resetting it's good for a while but will randomly happen again. sometimes it's within a day, sometimes it take a week. on a related note, I've never woken up to my computer being in a hung state from windows update trying to reset it - that process has always succeeded

Still Alive
Cardboard Rima

Post by Still Alive » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:57 am

haplo wrote:ok rt here's my computer problem, how do I fix it

every now and then my computer gets in this state where 3d applications stop working. the window will open but it's a black screen that hangs forever (or sometimes the screen never opens at all, but the process is still running in task manager) and I have to kill the application. all 3d applications (games) stay this way until I reset my computer. as a bonus, trying to reset or power off my computer when it's in this state causes Windows to hang on the "resetting..." screen forever and I have to flip the actual the power switch on the tower. after resetting it's good for a while but will randomly happen again. sometimes it's within a day, sometimes it take a week. on a related note, I've never woken up to my computer being in a hung state from windows update trying to reset it - that process has always succeeded
interestingly you can press windows key ctrl shift b to restart your graphics driver. i would do that first. shit goes black try reseting the graphics card. if it comes back great. i suspect that this wont work though because i think maybe windows is trying to reboot it itself

i dunno why i'm suspecting the driver, but it sounds like the graphics driver is failing, right? but if your graphics driver were failing, it wouldn't then only black screen a window, or a game. like, you know what a failing graphics card looks like. there should be effects beyond one window. but then that would be the card itself actually breaking, right? who knows with the driver. and if you can get into task manager then your whole screen isnt going black, which is unfortunate because that'd be easier to troubleshoot.

and i'm guessing the card isn't failing at all / overheating because you'd def be getting more there too, like a bluescreen

edit - you could still get https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html just in case, though

for windows not restarting, again suspect graphics card driver because windows could be infinitely trying to reopen the thing, which it can't do, and so you cant restart your computer because it's in the middle of trying that. do you get anything when windows is restarting? like please close <this> application

in any case we could maybe use the windows event log, or heck maybe there's something else in the windows event log that could help us. i doubt it, but it doesnt hurt to look. fortunately, hard powering off your computer gives us an absolutely fantastic bookmark because your doing that will appear as a windows critical error, or something like that. and then we can just see, like, what's before that event

it would be really cool if you could make the black screen happen because then we could have the error, and then shut down, and then jump into the event log just to see

but, uh, if the ctrl shift b thing doesnt work, probably wont, then you could also just do general stuff and hope for the best, like: run cmd in administration mode -> chkdsk /f -> yes i'll run it the next time windows starts. reboot. get into windows -> cmd admin -> sfc /scannow. and then you could do a pass of rkill and adwcleaner.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

and then even if none of that works, we're at least starting from a pretty clean spot.

Still Alive
Cardboard Rima

Post by Still Alive » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:01 am

did you do anything recently? install a windows update and now this is happening. install a new version of the driver? what kind of gfx card? what kind of processor?

Still Alive
Cardboard Rima

Post by Still Alive » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:11 am

Still Alive wrote:did you do anything recently? install a windows update and now this is happening. install a new version of the driver? what kind of gfx card? what kind of processor?
“Some Radeon RX 5700 series graphics users may intermittently experience a black screen while gaming or on desktop. A potential temporary workaround is disabling hardware acceleration in applications running in the background such as web browsers or Discord.”

if you do have a radeon, this is apparently something of a common problem: https://old.reddit.com/r/Amd/search?q=b ... rict_sr=on

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:25 am

Still Alive wrote:but if your graphics driver were failing, it wouldn't then only black screen a window, or a game. like, you know what a failing graphics card looks like. there should be effects beyond one window. but then that would be the card itself actually breaking, right? who knows with the driver. and if you can get into task manager then your whole screen isnt going black, which is unfortunate because that'd be easier to troubleshoot.
for clarification, by "black screen" I mean it might be a game launching in windowed mode, but the window is blank while the rest of Windows still works fine. it's just the 3d accelerated viewport that won't work

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:26 am

Still Alive wrote:did you do anything recently? install a windows update and now this is happening. install a new version of the driver? what kind of gfx card? what kind of processor?
nah this has been happening for like a year, it's not an everyday thing though so I've just lived with it

I guess I have some stuff to look into next time it happens. Looking through the event logs all I see is Steam briefly at the shutdown signal but I think that's normal, and then my work VPN (not connected) seems to have a lot of errors although I don't see how that could be related to anything 3D

Still Alive
Cardboard Rima

Post by Still Alive » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:44 am

haplo wrote:nah this has been happening for like a year, it's not an everyday thing though so I've just lived with it

I guess I have some stuff to look into next time it happens. Looking through the event logs all I see is Steam briefly at the shutdown signal but I think that's normal, and then my work VPN (not connected) seems to have a lot of errors although I don't see how that could be related to anything 3D
that sounds obnoxious! did i guess right about the radeon card?
a potential temporary workaround is disabling hardware acceleration in applications running in the background such as web browsers or Discord.”

If you own a Radeon GPU and are having problems with it, ET recommends you check for UEFI updates for your motherboard, manually specify PCIe 3.0 in UEFI settings, make sure you’re using the latest drivers, and try disabling overlay support, at least for now.
edit - updating to the most recent drivers, august 4, worked for some guy on the reddit

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:54 am

no, I have a GTX 970 and updated drivers a month ago

Still Alive
Cardboard Rima

Post by Still Alive » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:22 am

haplo wrote:no, I have a GTX 970 and updated drivers a month ago
and this has been happening for a year? mmm

Still Alive
Cardboard Rima

Post by Still Alive » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:41 am

Nvidia Control Panel -> Manage 3d Settings -> Power management mode -> Optimal Power?

it'd be a good idea to have windows control panel -> power options -> high performance

some guy thinks that the voltage regulators are overheating and that the card really needs a more aggressive fan profile. that ones easy. you can do it in msi afterburner. another guy is suggesting slightly undervolting the card, to 1.187, which should be fine? turning up the fans in msi is a pretty whatever solution, easy to implement to try, and while undervolting is fine, i think is maybe a bit more of a "i hope one of these other solutions work instead so i don't have to do anything crazy"

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:58 pm

arti you should work as an IT person

just do some bullshit course so you can put something on your resume and start applying

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:12 pm

Khaos wrote:arti you should work as an IT person

just do some bullshit course so you can put something on your resume and start applying
fr srs, bchs be hongry & scoop you up

Subject: crippled masters

Bring on the kung-fu amputees - no arms vs. no legs anyone? A bit of high-speed underground ninja-tunneling is always good as well. I wanna see some shit like that. Crazy monks with gnarly special powers can make any film good. FACT.

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:38 pm

my 13 has a discord he hangs with his mates in
& has instigated a LOTUS thread :lol:

Bring on the kung-fu amputees - no arms vs. no legs anyone? A bit of high-speed underground ninja-tunneling is always good as well. I wanna see some shit like that. Crazy monks with gnarly special powers can make any film good. FACT.

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:39 pm

rianalnn wrote:
Khaos wrote:arti you should work as an IT person

fr srs, bchs be hongry & scoop you up
fur serious :mad: