Build my comp, nerds

This is now the general computer thread.

Probably what *this* should be called.
pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Re: Build my comp, nerds

Post by pterrus » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:38 pm

Clipboard01.png
Clipboard01.png (104.89 KiB) Viewed 777 times
For some reason Macrium doesn't think I have room to clone my recovery partition even though I'm pretty sure I do. Anyone know what's up with that? Do I even need the recovery partition to boot from the backup drive if my new build goes horribly awry?

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. You have to manually set the size of the main partition in properties or it expands to fill the whole drive and doesn't leave any room for the last partition. Seems like a silly default behavior.

Blissful
"I don’t believe that we will lose life or have to discard cards ourselves."
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:33 am

haplo wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:20 am second drives are no longer worth it
howcome?

Luna
...but history refused to change

Post by Luna » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:35 am

Blissful wrote:howcome?
because we stream everything now. the idea of having a hard drive is antiquated

or i guess would be if like call of duty wasnt like fucking 200 gigs

but hey xcloud is out there

Luna

Post by Luna » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:46 am

this is what gave rise to things like chromebooks / netbooks, but man storage is small enough now with the m2 stuff that there's almost no reason to not have a terabyte of space on everything, if not more, but that's prolly all you want / need

but then, cloud gaming is awful and who would want to pay microsoft sixty dollars to not own a video game / an album / a movie. i'll never give up my physical media!

but then but then, that xbox gaming pass thing is actually kind of rad and then if they just slide that into xcloud so you dont actually never have to download anything, mmm

Skeletor
How'd you know that loving kittens is my one defining trait?
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:48 am

hard drives are great because there's a limit to how much ram you can have
wow, [you]. that all sounds terrible. i hope it gets better for you

Luna

Post by Luna » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:49 am

Skeletor wrote:hard drives are great because there's a limit to how much ram you can have
i'm not getting extra hard drives because chromium is having a problem fitting in my 128 gigs of ram

Blissful
"I don’t believe that we will lose life or have to discard cards ourselves."
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:25 am

Luna wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:35 am
Blissful wrote:howcome?
because we stream everything now. the idea of having a hard drive is antiquated
i'd bet money on this not being his reasoning

Luna

Post by Luna » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:27 am

haplo i will give you half of whatever juriful bets me to lie

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:37 pm

for movies, we've finally reached a point where pirating is not really necessary anymore. no more movies on the hard drive. tv shows as well can all be streamed fairly easily, even if you are pirating.
for games, it takes less than 5 minutes to download most games. there's no reason to have more than 3-4 games on your hard drive at once.
I don't even know what else takes up large amounts of space. Anime? Once you watch an episode you don't need it anymore. Stop saving them.

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:38 pm

haplo wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:37 pm for movies, we've finally reached a point where pirating is not really necessary anymore. no more movies on the hard drive. tv shows as well can all be streamed fairly easily, even if you are pirating.
for games, it takes less than 5 minutes to download most games. there's no reason to have more than 3-4 games on your hard drive at once.
I don't even know what else takes up large amounts of space. Anime? Once you watch an episode you don't need it anymore. Stop saving them.
my hard drive full of anime will be highly valuable after a solar flare wipes out the internet

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:18 pm

haplo wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:37 pm for games, it takes less than 5 minutes to download most games.
I am definitely not paying for whatever internet package this is. :lol:

Luna

Post by Luna » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:20 pm

Blissful wrote:i'd bet money on this not being his reasoning
what do i win

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:45 pm

pterrus wrote:
haplo wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:37 pm for games, it takes less than 5 minutes to download most games.
$80 for 1gb not too bad, though someone at work recently said they started offering 2gb and 5gb services for $120 and $160 respectively. Seems a bit excessive even for me though.

groff_enthusiast
The original good boy.
Cardboard Robot

Post by groff_enthusiast » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:58 pm

haplo wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:45 pm
pterrus wrote:
$80 for 1gb not too bad, though someone at work recently said they started offering 2gb and 5gb services for $120 and $160 respectively. Seems a bit excessive even for me though.
I dunno, fast internet is so lovely.

How have there not been a hundred "you spend 1/3 of your life in bed get a nice matress" puff pieces about internet speed?
Ashenai wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:08 pmoh no

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:17 pm

groff_enthusiast wrote:How have there not been a hundred "you spend 1/3 of your life in bed get a nice matress" puff pieces about internet speed?
shit thats a good argument

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:39 pm

groff_enthusiast wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:58 pm
pterrus wrote:

How have there not been a hundred "you spend 1/3 of your life in bed get a nice matress" puff pieces about internet speed?
i rarely max out my internet connection, so latency matters much more than total bandwidth, and it's not clear whether paying more gets you better service in that regard

groff_enthusiast
The original good boy.
Cardboard Robot

Post by groff_enthusiast » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:21 pm

Khaos wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:17 pm
groff_enthusiast wrote:How have there not been a hundred "you spend 1/3 of your life in bed get a nice matress" puff pieces about internet speed?
shit thats a good argument
* Looks down at sales flowchart written on back of hand *

Come onnn......

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:51 pm

groff_enthusiast wrote:
pterrus wrote:

the problem with >1gb is that most providers can't give you that much data at once, and I don't really get huge data from multiple sources at once

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:22 pm

I have 1 gb and I have no idea what I'd do with more bandwidth. Videos already don't buffer, VR already doesn't tear. I guess I could cut down the time spent downloading a Steam game from 12 seconds to 6 seconds? That does not seem worth any extra money.

Skeletor
How'd you know that loving kittens is my one defining trait?
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:01 am

you could buy worse games
wow, [you]. that all sounds terrible. i hope it gets better for you

groff_enthusiast
The original good boy.
Cardboard Robot

Post by groff_enthusiast » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:57 am

Rylinks wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:39 pm
groff_enthusiast wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:58 pm
pterrus wrote:

i rarely max out my internet connection, so latency matters much more than total bandwidth, and it's not clear whether paying more gets you better service in that regard
I feel the same way, but about your girth. :wub:

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue May 24, 2022 6:59 pm

I'm upgrading my computer and I could use some advice!

The thing I'm currently agonizing about is the monitor. I want an "all-rounder", something I can use for both gaming and office work. I'm a translator, I spend a lot of time staring at words! They have to be crisp. But games are fun also! I'm not planning on going pro in CS so no need to go nuts on refresh speed or whatever, but I don't want blurry afterimages.

The thing I can't quite decide is whether I should make the jump to 4K, or whether I'd be better served with a 1440p monitor. I'm planning on buying a fairly beefy GPU (I'm leaning towards a 3080), but 4K is still going to be a major framerate hit compared to 1440p, and I just don't have enough experience with high-end monitors to know whether the difference in picture quality is worth it.

Any recommendations on this, or on specific monitors, would be very welcome! Someone in the /r/monitors discord recommended the Eve Spectrum, but it appears to be kind of a hassle to get in Hungary, and the reviews are good but not incredible, so I dunno.

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Tue May 24, 2022 7:19 pm

if you wanna get that card you would be 100% okay to support 4k gaming. that thing is a beast

i'd probably cheap out and get a 1440p monitor with a 144hz frame rate though. what's your budget

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue May 24, 2022 7:30 pm

I don't really have one, I can spend whatever. I'm not interested in buying the Biggest and the Best just to know that I did, but I don't mind moving right on the performance/price curve as long as I'm also moving up at a decent ratio, if you get what I mean.

Luna

Post by Luna » Tue May 24, 2022 7:56 pm

Ashenai wrote:I'm upgrading my computer and I could use some advice!

The thing I'm currently agonizing about is the monitor. I want an "all-rounder", something I can use for both gaming and office work. I'm a translator, I spend a lot of time staring at words! They have to be crisp. But games are fun also! I'm not planning on going pro in CS so no need to go nuts on refresh speed or whatever, but I don't want blurry afterimages.

The thing I can't quite decide is whether I should make the jump to 4K, or whether I'd be better served with a 1440p monitor. I'm planning on buying a fairly beefy GPU (I'm leaning towards a 3080), but 4K is still going to be a major framerate hit compared to 1440p, and I just don't have enough experience with high-end monitors to know whether the difference in picture quality is worth it.

Any recommendations on this, or on specific monitors, would be very welcome! Someone in the /r/monitors discord recommended the Eve Spectrum, but it appears to be kind of a hassle to get in Hungary, and the reviews are good but not incredible, so I dunno.
how big how much do you want to spend? 800 bucks apparently? i'm a sucker for colour accuracy so my monitor recommendations are unfortunately expensive, but then i'm also a poor person, so i tend to trend to trying to get something less than that, which is not too expensive, comparatively, but more than people want to spend sometimes.

there's a benq, EX3501R, uwqhd, i had heard about recently that's pretty nifty. 35 inches. curved monitor, which i think is kind of dumb, but i'm actually sort of on the side of now. it's supposed to be kind of immersive and not noticeable. 100hz refresh rate. va panel so great contrast. 650 bucks, though. but it was a thousand dollar monitor until just recently. it's old, though, and cheaper because it's on its way to being discontinued. there is a newer monitor has new tech for less like a 27 inch dell, S2721DGF, 4k, 165hz. it has nano ips like the eve does but it's just 500 bucks.

i don't think either of those would be as good at potentially reducing motion blur, though, which is apparently that eve's big thing, reduced not eliminated, though. but they are gaming monitors / have high refresh rates. i have always gotten pretty slow monitors myslef, though, and never really kinda noticed motion blur..? but hey if you want no motion blur, how about going all the way meme and spending two grand on a samsung odyssey neo. but i've actually seen someone buy that. i dunno how good it is though but the 27 inch isn't actually too badly priced.

rather than, uh, make actual recommendations i could instead just tell you about the technology behind monitors and then you could just make an informed decision. forget just 4k, how about a va panel or ips?! nano ips?! that's new, and it's pretty neat. a 3080 shouldnt have any problems pushing 4k, and it'll be the most pixel dense so sharp, but 4k at 200 plus hz? 144hz? but buying monitors is def tricky, man. there's just so fucking many of them. and there's so many that are not great. but people sometimes dont care about colours and shit. and hey you can still get a 1440p with good colours (asus) for less than 500 bucks.

Luna

Post by Luna » Tue May 24, 2022 7:59 pm

the review on tom's hardware for the eve is pretty good, but tom's is only a good jumping off point. you can only buy it on their website. the other people calling it a game changer are like kotaku? i'm a little suspicious, but maybe it's good. buying stuff from like mass drop is a thing now

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue May 24, 2022 8:02 pm

I've heard people say that they would never recommend a VA panel for gaming, which worried me a little, because supposedly an IPS is even slower? But my current monitor (Dell Ultrasharp U2412M) is an IPS, and I have never had a single problem with it in gaming. Like i said, not going pro. And I do like colors, colors are nice! I want good colors and good contrast!

Re: the motion blur, I have also never noticed it, I've just heard about it and it sounds bad! But I'm guessing probably no modern monitor would have it to a degree that it would bother me, actually.

I don't know what nano IPS is, though.

Luna

Post by Luna » Tue May 24, 2022 8:10 pm

Ashenai wrote:I've heard people say that they would never recommend a VA panel for gaming, which worried me a little, because supposedly an IPS is even slower? But my current monitor (Dell Ultrasharp U2412M) is an IPS, and I have never had a single problem with it in gaming. Like i said, not going pro. And I do like colors, colors are nice! I want good colors and good contrast!

Re: the motion blur, I have also never noticed it, I've just heard about it and it sounds bad! But I'm guessing probably no modern monitor would have it to a degree that it would bother me, actually.

I don't know what nano IPS is, though.
forget gaming, recommending a va panel is kind of tricky for screen uniformity. you get something that's 32 inches, like i have, the fucking colours can be off on the left side of the screen while your head is on the right side of the screen, but my gosh, man. the blacks! the reds! it's not like ips is bad, but if you've ever seen a plasma screen tv compared to a regular lcd one. i'm curious what a curved monitor would do for that since you'd always kind of be looking at it in such a way.

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Tue May 24, 2022 8:12 pm

Ashenai wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:02 pmnano IPS is, though.
not much whats nano ips with you

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Tue May 24, 2022 8:12 pm

what's your current monitor ashe?