Re: Classical Music Thread

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:35 pm

maurice ravel, sat there, watching you the entire time

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:43 pm

I was obsessed with this thing as a teenager and would listen to it on laserdisc over and over. The first concerto (Spring) is the one everyone knows, but my favorite parts were the bombastic Summer storm (17:55) and the powerful Winter passage at 33:58.

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:32 am

Ashenai wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:43 pmand the powerful Winter passage at 33:58.
Hell yeah, one of the few classical passages you can headbang to.

We played the Four Seasons in high school, our first violin could shred that violin part at 33:24.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:05 am

pterrus wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:32 am
Ashenai wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:43 pmand the powerful Winter passage at 33:58.
Hell yeah, one of the few classical passages you can headbang to.

We played the Four Seasons in high school, our first violin could shred that violin part at 33:24.
I would air violin it so hard! (I can't play the violin, but an air violin is surprisingly forgiving)

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:35 pm

ive always been a fan of metamorphosis. the whole thing is pretty good, but part 1 is my favorite. i guess im not sure this is technically "classical."
with love, your good friend, seathesee

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:04 pm

Sure, modern classical is classical. I do appreciate Glass, he does the minimalist thing so well.
edit: that recording is kind of garbage but I can't immediately find a better one

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:18 am

I mentioned earlier that I acquired a keyboard for 5 dollars at a yard sale and I'm determined to learn how to play it. The first lesson built into the keyboard, lesson 00, is Bach's Minuet in G. It's a pretty good piece and I've been drilling it whenever I get a few free minutes.

Also when the baby mashes buttons randomly, it will frequently start playing this piece because it's the one I have selected. So between me and him, this is my wife's new least favorite song.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:21 am

what are those trill-y parts? like what is the name for that and how do you do them?
u gotta skate

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:31 am

Crunchums wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:21 am what are those trill-y parts? like what is the name for that and how do you do them?
I think they're just grace notes and you play them like you would expect, just tap the next note up the scale. The Casio doesn't recognize them and I haven't been playing them.

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:33 am

On further review, I think it's called a mordent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordent

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:16 am

cool, thanks
u gotta skate

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Mon May 31, 2021 12:51 pm

I got Minuet in G on lock and I was looking to try something beefier.
I briefly tried learning this Chopin nocturne but the left hand gymnastics were a bit too much and I wasn't having fun so I said fuck it. Pretty piece though.
So here's where I'm currently at. Much more fun to play. Over the past week I put a few hours into this before realizing the version the keyboard teaches you is transposed down a half step for some fucking reason. I have never felt so betrayed by a 5 dollar purchase. So anyway, all that work is out the window and I have to start again from square one with the wrong muscle memory. I am hopeful that I can push through because the piece really is badass.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon May 31, 2021 7:04 pm

good thing you realized it sooner rather than later
u gotta skate

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:49 pm

Dude what

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:03 am

pterrus wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:51 pm So here's where I'm currently at. Much more fun to play. Over the past week I put a few hours into this before realizing the version the keyboard teaches you is transposed down a half step for some fucking reason. I have never felt so betrayed by a 5 dollar purchase. So anyway, all that work is out the window and I have to start again from square one with the wrong muscle memory. I am hopeful that I can push through because the piece really is badass.
"Clair de Lune" means "light of the moon," and therefore is Debussy's moonlight sonata

It's interesting to compare them
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:27 am

pterrus wrote:Dude what
an etude!
whoever composed that must have been a sadist though
u gotta skate

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:17 am

Doug wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:03 am
pterrus wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:51 pm So here's where I'm currently at. Much more fun to play. Over the past week I put a few hours into this before realizing the version the keyboard teaches you is transposed down a half step for some fucking reason. I have never felt so betrayed by a 5 dollar purchase. So anyway, all that work is out the window and I have to start again from square one with the wrong muscle memory. I am hopeful that I can push through because the piece really is badass.
"Clair de Lune" means "light of the moon," and therefore is Debussy's moonlight sonata

They're both so good. The Beethoven version is more catchy though. Kind of seems wrong to describe classical music that way but you're not getting Clair de Lune stuck in your head.

And yeah it's interesting that Beethoven sees the moon and he's like, okay C# minor, lots of crunchy low clusters and a right hand that goes into bass clef. It's badass but you gotta wonder if he was going through some shit.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:28 am

pterrus wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:17 am
Doug wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:03 am

They're both so good. The Beethoven version is more catchy though. Kind of seems wrong to describe classical music that way but you're not getting Clair de Lune stuck in your head.

And yeah it's interesting that Beethoven sees the moon and he's like, okay C# minor, lots of crunchy low clusters and a right hand that goes into bass clef. It's badass but you gotta wonder if he was going through some shit.
I'm always struck by the tempo difference. Moonlight Sonata has a rigid tempo. Clair de Lune is played almost improvisationally, the performer sustaining notes and chords as long as they feel like

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:24 pm

Moonlight is typically played pretty expressively with a lot of rubato at the start and end of phrases, and the runs in the middle get "un poco liberamente". It's certainly on the less rigid side compared to what was going on at the time. Compared to, say, Mozart, it's super Romantic. But yeah, Clair de Lune is full blown impressionism. I think a lot of the differences in style come down to when they were written.

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:38 pm

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:23 pm

Ha, as we were watching Stranger Things episode 7 I said to my wife, holy shit this music is ripping off Philip Glass so hard.

Turns out it was actually just straight up Akhnaten. I don't know why that surprises me. Their music guy is clearly a huge opera fan and I'm here for it.

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:36 pm

I've had these progressions bouncing around my head for days now. Bach is kind of still the the goat.

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:14 pm

This is what I'm learning now.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:09 pm

Guys I've been reluctant to do this but I'm finally going to share with you the biggest conspiracy of all time

Get ready

Alright. Are you familiar with the flute? The flute is played entirely in the treble clef. The flute's lowest note is C4, which is middle C, which is the C that's between the bass clef and the treble clef.

Here is C4, middle C, on the piano:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_(musical_note)

(Sorry, no video, use the buttons at the link)

In contrast, here is C3, which is an octave lower and in the bass clef:

OK you're with me so far. Now the lowest note on a flute means you are holding down every single key that closes a pad (some keys open pads, you wouldn't be holding those). This is the lowest note the flute can play, by anybody anywhere. It's not a skill issue. You simply can't play a lower note than "every pad closed." The flute would have to be longer. There are longer flutes, they're called alto flutes, and of course they can play lower notes. Anyway. The lowest note is every pad shut, which is definitely a C.

This is noted as C4, or middle C, which means every flute player everywhere only has to read the treble clef. You can't go any lower. Flute music starts at C4 on the sheet and only goes up from there.

However

Here is a video of a flute teacher explaining how it can be hard to hit the lowest C on a flute, and what might be the problem, and so on.

At the beginning of the video, she plays this lowest note just fine, of course.

But here's the thing. I have ears, man. That is C3.

Everyone on earth is pretending that the lowest note on a flute is C4, and if you try to tell them give me a break I can hear, they say you're crazy and shut up. I can hear. That's C3. The next C on the flute, an octave higher, is C4.

Stop gaslighting me, planet

If anyone accepted that the lowest note on the flute were C3, this would mean a flute chart would have to have the bass clef. Nobody wants that, ever

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:44 pm

Okay you have successfully confused me, good job. Now I'm questioning whether I've been playing piano off by an octave this whole time. This feels like one of those math proofs proving 0=1 or whatever where you know the logic has to be wrong somewhere, but where?

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:50 pm

I think your first two videos are just wrong by an octave which is the most boring possible answer.

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:00 pm

that's my favorite doug conspiracy theory

we recently bought a piano for my kids to learn, which means i need to learn this stuff too now