sports

Probably what *this* should be called.
Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Re: sports

Post by Crunchums » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:03 am

"the garrapolo" ???

also i had never noticed before that "re-sign" without the dash is "resign" (i was briefly confused)

i guess it does depend a lot on how good sabonis and haliburton actually are (edit: lol this sentence looks dumb when i read it back). i don't feel like i really know anything (i mean i know their reputations, but that's very different from like watching games or film or whatever, you know?), but my impression is that haliburton could be a useful role player on a championship team whereas sabonis is more of a floor raiser than someone who helps you win a championship
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:16 am

seathesee wrote:i think youre seeing the reaction you are because (1) everyone outside of sacramento shits on the kings for sport and (2) the fans mostly bought into the panzer.
also, i feel like it's more being driven by people thinking that haliburton is really good (and also young and under team control for a bunch more years)
https://twitter.com/kirkgoldsberry/stat ... 6362478592
https://twitter.com/kirkgoldsberry/stat ... 1268787200
https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/sta ... 1597763584
u gotta skate

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:27 am

Crunchums wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:03 am "the garrapolo" ???
there is a lot of speculation that garrapolo's existence was causing locker room problems with brady, or at least was making brady unhappy. it is further speculated that kraft pushed the issue against belichicks wishes, which is why garrapolo was traded to san francisco.

i think haliburtons existence was causing issues with fox and hurting him as a player and asset. fox is not a brady by any stretch, but the kings are sort of stuck with him because of his contract, and they benefit from maximizing him.
with love, your good friend, seathesee

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:31 am

Crunchums wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:16 am
seathesee wrote:i think youre seeing the reaction you are because (1) everyone outside of sacramento shits on the kings for sport and (2) the fans mostly bought into the panzer.
also, i feel like it's more being driven by people thinking that haliburton is really good (and also young and under team control for a bunch more years)
https://twitter.com/kirkgoldsberry/stat ... 6362478592
https://twitter.com/kirkgoldsberry/stat ... 1268787200
https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/sta ... 1597763584
haliburton is very good, but sabonis is also very good.

kevin oconnor thought killian hayes was the best pick in haliburtons draft class.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:44 am

portland why are you trading a promising 23 year old for a 34 year old who just tore his ACL
i mean joe ingles is good, but like
i guess they think they're going to retool around dame
still seems dumb to me
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:35 pm

!!!!!
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:58 pm

nba trade deadline is nba trade deadline
u gotta skate

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:18 pm

Crunchums wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:44 am portland why are you trading a promising 23 year old for a 34 year old who just tore his ACL
i mean joe ingles is good, but like
i guess they think they're going to retool around dame
still seems dumb to me
yeah, i kind of agree. im not super familiar with any of the players involved aside from ingles, but i'd be a little surprised of ingles plays another nba game again given his age, his injury, and his role.

i heard a report yesterday that dame is heavily involved with all the trades and such going on, so it sounds like they are going to try and do a rebuild in such a way that dame is, at least on the surface, interested in being a part of. i sort of think thats not really in the interest of either dame or the franchise, but who the fuck am i?

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:26 pm

re other trades:

nets get a big win imo. maybe harden was just faking it, but hes starting to look a little gassed in awestbrookian fashiion--still able to contribute and win some games, but the reputation far outshines what he can actually do for you today. im not sure hes a winning player anymore (if he ever was in the postseason). simmons is an unstable, but highly talented, player in his physical prime. he probably wants a fresh start and will embrace it. i honestly cant believe they got 2 first round picks on top of curry. of course, if philly gets a ring it was worth it for them.

i think the mavs/wiz trade is pretty silly. porzingas feels a little underrated to me. i think there were locker room considerations here. tentatively a largish win for the wizards.

i think the kings actually got a pretty good trade getting off bagley. devincenzo is no slouch. lyles has potential. i think this might be the sort of trade we look back on in 3 years and say "what the fuck were the kings thinking?!?!?" i would not be surprised if bagley turns into a borderline all star player ala andrew wiggens, dlo, rozier, and all the other guys who got better with a change of scenery. he wasnt going to do it in sacramento, though. he wanted out, was open and vocal about it, was clashing with coaching staff, was locker room cancer, and was not going to reach his potential here.

yesterday was a fun day.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:55 pm

seathesee wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:18 pm yeah, i kind of agree. im not super familiar with any of the players involved aside from ingles, but i'd be a little surprised of ingles plays another nba game again given his age, his injury, and his role.

i heard a report yesterday that dame is heavily involved with all the trades and such going on, so it sounds like they are going to try and do a rebuild in such a way that dame is, at least on the surface, interested in being a part of. i sort of think thats not really in the interest of either dame or the franchise, but who the fuck am i?
i would be surprised if he didn't play another game. he's a good player, he can shoot, and it's not like his game was super based around athleticism anyway. he should still be at least somewhat useful

i think the blazers have no chance of contending with dame - they just don't have enough stuff around him. but if he'd rather spend the rest of his career on mediocre-at-best blazers teams than go elsewhere to chase a championship then that's his call
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:02 pm

the nets trade strikes me as a win/win, which i guess shouldn't surprising given that the deal legitimately has more "output" than input (because philly-Simmons is zero whereas nets-simmons is something).

the biggest variable is Harden's health - if he can still be the player that we saw last year before he had hamstring issues then they're happy, if he spends the rest of his career struggling with hamstring issues then that's a sad trombone. i think harden definitely is good enough to be the best player on a championship team (you don't go up 3-2 in the WCF on the durant warriors if you're not), but that's not mutually exclusive with him having baggage and not working as hard as he could be

the second biggest variable is simmons - this is basically a perfect situation for him (totally fine for him to never shoot playing with KD and kyrie), but there's still some chance that he continues to be a problem
u gotta skate

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:18 pm

Crunchums wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:02 pm i think harden definitely is good enough to be the best player on a championship team (you don't go up 3-2 in the WCF on the durant warriors if you're not), but that's not mutually exclusive with him having baggage and not working as hard as he could be
that was a long time ago, and they fell apart after paul got injured. we've seen paul be a more impactful player on his team's success post-rockets than harden has post-paul.

he gotten older and more banged up since then. i think the shine has probably worn off a little for his teammates given all the drama hes been a part of (though this could be complete outsider talk on my part), and the game and how its officiated has changed a bit since then.

i kind of wonder if there may be some issues with him taking the ball out of embiid and maxeys hands too. both those guys have been great, and harden wants the ball a lot. i believe in morey, but if hes got a blind spot i think its with harden.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:20 pm

oh yeah for sure it's not obvious that he's that player now (but that's okay for the sixers, they don't need him to be), i was just responding to your "(if he ever was in the postseason)"
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:22 pm

harden definitely has his issues as a player and he's past his peak, but if he's healthy then he's what, a top 20, top 15, top 10 player in the NBA? and embiid is playing at an MVP level? and they can run pnr together? they'll figure it out
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:29 am

u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:08 am

steph is so nuts
u gotta skate

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:04 pm

he really is

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:34 am

u gotta skate

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:05 am

lol

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:10 am

just absolutely nuts
u gotta skate

Luna
...but history refused to change
...but history refused to change

Post by Luna » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:15 am

hey, that's pretty good

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:53 pm

this is a fun parody of jon bois videos, if anyone here likes jon bois videos
u gotta skate

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:26 am

:rofl:

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:39 am

I thought it was some stupid internet spelling for jomboy and I didn't get it at all, but it turns out jon bois is an actual person

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:04 pm

haplo wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:39 am I thought it was some stupid internet spelling for jomboy and I didn't get it at all, but it turns out jon bois is an actual person
I recommend binging his Pretty Good on youtube. It's... fairly satisfactory.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:52 am

growing up i always wondered why NBA players never tried to do this
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:03 am

sea did you see this
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:14 am

Crunchums wrote:i know you haven't made the playoffs in forever but you're really gonna trade away a good young player in order to chase 10th? oof
*oof intensifies*
(maybe it will pay off next year though???????)
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:32 pm

hope you enjoyed part 3 of Captain Ahab today. the fourth and final part will run two weeks from now on april 12th. until then, we’ll keep the light on for ya
I wonder if Dave Stieb or any of his relatives have seen this series.
:omgwub:
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:19 am

the noise the rim makes makes this even better imo
u gotta skate