sports

Probably what *this* should be called.
Monty
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Re: sports

Post by Monty » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:11 pm

seathesee wrote:
Monty wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:58 pm He's too old to be worth $30 million a year for a team that's serious about winning, which still describes the Patriots. But for a team that wants to sign a Big Name, like the Buccaneers, he's worth the extra cash. He'll spend two or three years in Tampa Bay making insane money and then retire to a no-responsibility job with the Patriots and everyone will be happy.
i think youre underestimating the bucs. they had a way better offense than the patriots last year and were one of the most exciting offensive teams in the league. their main issue was the fact that their quarterback threw as many interceptions as touchdowns. with a skilled quarterback, even one whos not at the top of their game athletically, they could do pretty well. brady is not going to throw interceptions like jameis.
Yeah, I'm probably just knee-jerk reacting to "The Buccaneers" as a concept without reference to their actual team. I'm sure he picked the best option of the teams offering the money he wanted, so it's not like he's not on the Chargers.
The world needs more Bohemian Ear-Spoons

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:12 pm

people also ask:

does tom brady wear kale pajamas?
with love, your good friend, seathesee

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:29 pm

Monty wrote:He's too old to be worth $30 million a year for a team that's serious about winning, which still describes the Patriots. But for a team that wants to sign a Big Name, like the Buccaneers, he's worth the extra cash. He'll spend two or three years in Tampa Bay making insane money and then retire to a no-responsibility job with the Patriots and everyone will be happy.
i think you are undervaluing Brady, and what a competent QB could for the bucs. yeah he's 43, but he seems to be declining slowly as opposed to falling off a cliff. his decline from two seasons ago to one season ago was more about the offense around him (especially losing Gronk) than himself.
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:31 pm

seathesee wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:06 pm i think youre underestimating the bucs. they had a way better offense than the patriots last year and were one of the most exciting offensive teams in the league. their main issue was the fact that their quarterback threw as many interceptions as touchdowns.
he's the only member of the 30/30 club! (30 TD + 30 Int in a season)
he wasn't going to get there, but then the week 17 game went to OT and he threw a pick 6 to close out the season https://youtu.be/IhzAQXSSxc4?t=659
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:34 pm

i don't mean to say "ZOMG BUCS SUPER BOWL FAVORITES NOW" or anything. just that i think that it's a perfectly reasonable move, both for the bucs and for brady.

as a pats fan i will be rooting for him and the bucs
as a football fan i am very excited to see brady/bb separated (though ofc brady is 43 now, so it's more about bb without brady than the reverse)
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:36 pm

Monty wrote:He's got some ridiculous scam medical product that's supposed to make him immortal.
i work on the 3rd floor of a building in Boston, and a TB12 thing (store?) opened on the ground floor almost right under us. i feel like every time i look in there are at most two customers, and the customers always look like they're just looking around rather than planning to buy anything
u gotta skate

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:38 pm

do patriots have a clear choice for their next QB?

Monty
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Monty » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:50 pm

Crunchums wrote:
Monty wrote:He's too old to be worth $30 million a year for a team that's serious about winning, which still describes the Patriots. But for a team that wants to sign a Big Name, like the Buccaneers, he's worth the extra cash. He'll spend two or three years in Tampa Bay making insane money and then retire to a no-responsibility job with the Patriots and everyone will be happy.
i think you are undervaluing Brady, and what a competent QB could for the bucs. yeah he's 43, but he seems to be declining slowly as opposed to falling off a cliff. his decline from two seasons ago to one season ago was more about the offense around him (especially losing Gronk) than himself.
I might be! I just think 42 to 43 is a much bigger drop off than 41 to 42, plus higher injury chance etc. We will presumably find out at some point.

RawMeat
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by RawMeat » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:50 pm

Rylinks wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:38 pm do patriots have a clear choice for their next QB?
Jimmy Gar - oh wait

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:17 am

Rylinks wrote:do patriots have a clear choice for their next QB?
no
but given last year's offense with brady + inevitable regression from the defense i feel like this will be a rebuilding year anyway
though we might win the division or at least make the playoffs anyway, because BB + lol AFC East (plus 7 playoff spots now apparently? how is that even going to work?)
u gotta skate

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:18 am

only one bye

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:18 am

RawMeat wrote: Jimmy Gar - oh wait
from what I've seen of him in SF (and he's been injured a lot), he seems like a mediocre-at-best QB
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:19 am

Rylinks wrote:only one bye
sucks for the 2 seed; yeesh
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:21 am

also i super feel like the nfl playoffs do not need another wildcard. like yeah sometimes a division sucks and some other team gets screwed, but whatever? win your games, this isn't the N(BA|HL)
u gotta skate

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:21 am

yeah i don't think it's a good format but yknow it makes money so the owners are happy and it's not the players job to make sure there's a good playoff format in their CBA negotiations

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:22 am

yeah money above all else i get it
friggin 17 game season too
u gotta skate

KingRamz
We are not amused.
Cardboard Robot

Post by KingRamz » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:50 pm

Crunchums wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:22 am yeah money above all else i get it
Instead of a 17 game season let's have a 17 season game. Each quarter is 4 years long and OT is the final year. At the end of each quarter you have to draft new players and whatnot and some of your players will retire

RawMeat
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by RawMeat » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:23 pm

Crunchums wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:18 am
RawMeat wrote: Jimmy Gar - oh wait
from what I've seen of him in SF (and he's been injured a lot), he seems like a mediocre-at-best QB
Still seems better than the current plan of "some guy whose name sounds like a drunk person trying to pronounce 'Gillette Stadium'"

Monty
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Monty » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:19 pm

KingRamz wrote:
Crunchums wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:22 am yeah money above all else i get it
Instead of a 17 game season let's have a 17 season game. Each quarter is 4 years long and OT is the final year. At the end of each quarter you have to draft new players and whatnot and some of your players will retire
This could be how we transition to the world of 17776.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon May 04, 2020 6:46 pm

https://twitter.com/FitzGSN_/status/1253730997167886338
i lol'd at the 2nd Black Panther line
u gotta skate

RawMeat
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by RawMeat » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:21 pm

Crunchums wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:17 am
Rylinks wrote:do patriots have a clear choice for their next QB?
no
but given last year's offense with brady + inevitable regression from the defense i feel like this will be a rebuilding year anyway
though we might win the division or at least make the playoffs anyway, because BB + lol AFC East (plus 7 playoff spots now apparently? how is that even going to work?)
Well, this got awkward.

RawMeat
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by RawMeat » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:23 pm

I don't think MLB is going to actually play, but I do think a 60-game season sounds neat.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:55 pm

I think we have some basketball fans?

You should seriously consider not watching or spending any money with the NBA.

Literally, fuck the NBA. If you asked anyone associated with that org if it was true that they'd sold their soul, they'd have to call their accountant to confirm.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:58 pm

wait till you hear about China's olympic camps

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:07 pm

haplo wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:58 pm wait till you hear about China's olympic camps
They're deplorable.

I'm particularly furious about an American org like the NBA turning a blind eye (I) to this. This is the type of shit you'd expect from McKenzie.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:21 pm

Dantes wrote:
haplo wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:58 pm wait till you hear about China's olympic camps
They're deplorable.

I'm particularly furious about an American org like the NBA turning a blind eye (I) to this. This is the type of shit you'd expect from McKenzie.
It doesn't even seem like it would be particularly hard for the NBA to fix. I doubt too many of the coaches are inherently evil, they probably think that's the best way to train the kids.

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:22 pm

Dantes wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:07 pm
I'm particularly furious about an American org like the NBA turning a blind eye (I) (I) to this. This is the type of shit you'd expect from McKenzie.
they shut it down. at least, it sounds like they did. the article was a little unclear on that.

the nba is one of thousands of american companies which has entrenched business relations with china and is generally unwilling to criticize the chinese government. im not really sure why you find their conduct in particular to be so egregious.

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:23 pm

haplo wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:21 pm they probably think that's the best way to train the kids.
It is common for Chinese coaches to discipline players physically, according to several people with experience in player development in China. "For most of the older generation, even my grandparents, they take corporal punishment for granted and even see it as an expression of love and care, but I know it might be criticized by people living outside of China," said Jinming Zheng, an assistant professor of sports management at Northumbria University in England, who grew up in mainland China and has written extensively about the Chinese sports system. "The older generation still sees it as an integral part of training."

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:24 pm

Do they even have Punishment Hut in America?
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Monty
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Monty » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:33 pm

Doug wrote:Do they even have Punishment Hut in America?
I like their lunch buffets.