Google makes everything worse

Probably what *this* should be called.
Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Re: Google makes everything worse

Post by Khaos » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:03 pm

my computer would randomly turn on at night. i messed with a bunch of settings then it stopped

Still Alive
Cardboard Rima
Let's party like it's 1899

Post by Still Alive » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:57 pm

Juri wrote:can i destroy this feature? its really bad!
https://www.howtogeek.com/122954/how-to ... identally/

Skeletor
How'd you know that loving kittens is my one defining trait?
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:57 pm

Khaos wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:03 pm my computer would randomly turn on at night. i messed with a bunch of settings then it stopped
Have you tried turning it off and then on again? And then off again
wow, [you]. that all sounds terrible. i hope it gets better for you

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:05 pm

Skeletor wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:57 pm
Khaos wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:03 pm my computer would randomly turn on at night. i messed with a bunch of settings then it stopped
Have you tried turning it off and then on again? And then off again
no i mean it stopped doing the thing. its fine now

Skeletor
How'd you know that loving kittens is my one defining trait?
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:08 pm

Don't criticize my jokes
wow, [you]. that all sounds terrible. i hope it gets better for you

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:00 am

i love not being able to install the thing i just bought! thanks, Microsoft!
u gotta skate

Juri
We're Knights of the Round Table
We attack each turn if able
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:30 pm

I solved this by logging in via the win10 microsoft store app (and unchecking the 'intergrate a microsoft account into all your shit' button rofl)
ive certainly used better services ww

at least i have a videogame now. i think i might even not need to be logged in to some idiot service to use the videogame! truly impressive

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:13 pm

i solved it by logging in to a system account, which i plan to undo in twenty years when this thing is finished downloading
(it's like 36 gigs or something!? wow)
u gotta skate

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:18 pm

yeah wtf is that about

i passed this game around the school library on a damn flash drive

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:47 pm

well you see Juri, Windows is a better experience when all of your profile settings are synced across all of your devices
u gotta skate

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:06 pm

as someone who lives on the internet and has no physical body, my email account is my phylactery, and as such im not letting a devil hold it for even a minute

drk
Birds are wild
Posting Automaton

Post by drk » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:43 pm

Just yesterday I found how to remove my Windows account from my computer, so I don't need to give it a password when I turn my laptop on. I'm going to be happy about finding that setting for a good minute.

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:45 pm

oh my god is that a thing i hate it whenever windows updates and i need to put a password in
"Ireland’s Ireland and Scotland’s Scotland anyone who thinks different is a cunt" - Liam Gallagher

Still Alive
Cardboard Rima

Post by Still Alive » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:54 pm

Crunchums wrote:i love not being able to install the thing i just bought! thanks, Microsoft!
thanks, apple! this is what consumers want. microsoft just followed suit

drk
Birds are wild
Posting Automaton

Post by drk » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:04 pm

Faceless wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:45 pm oh my god is that a thing i hate it whenever windows updates and i need to put a password in
Yeah I detested it, and for years any time I looked for an answer it only told you how to remove the password from a locked computer, not from startup. Yesterday I found how to set it to a local account, and you can just enter through them asking for a username/pw.

drk
Birds are wild
Posting Automaton

Post by drk » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:04 pm

Still Alive
Cardboard Rima

Post by Still Alive » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:08 pm

drk wrote:
Yeah I detested it, and for years any time I looked for an answer it only told you how to remove the password from a locked computer, not from startup. Yesterday I found how to set it to a local account, and you can just enter through them asking for a username/pw.
man, if you guys are having computer problems, i can help you

drk
Birds are wild
Posting Automaton

Post by drk » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:09 pm

It was extremely believable to me that a better option wasn't possible. Why wouldn't they force you to log in every time if they could?

Still Alive
Cardboard Rima

Post by Still Alive » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:12 pm

drk wrote:It was extremely believable to me that a better option wasn't possible. Why wouldn't they force you to log in every time if they could?
https://borncity.com/win/2020/02/20/win ... n-germany/

Still Alive
Cardboard Rima

Post by Still Alive » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:33 pm

which is just to say you're right, and that they're def not happy about allowing people the option

and oh by the way ,they are trying to remove the local option, for people who don't know

putting that aside, if there is stuff you guys want to do / want your computer to behave in a certain way, just kick it into here. i can tell you

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:02 pm

Still Alive wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:33 pm which is just to say you're right, and that they're def not happy about allowing people the option

and oh by the way ,they are trying to remove the local option, for people who don't know

putting that aside, if there is stuff you guys want to do / want your computer to behave in a certain way, just kick it into here. i can tell you
Rainbow 6 recently added some "Vulkan" nonsense and now every time I try and launch the game steam asks me if I'd actually like to launch the game or if I really meant to open Vulkan and how can I turn this off and just have my game start when I click on it.
"Ireland’s Ireland and Scotland’s Scotland anyone who thinks different is a cunt" - Liam Gallagher

Still Alive
Cardboard Rima

Post by Still Alive » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:37 pm

Faceless wrote: Rainbow 6 recently added some "Vulkan" nonsense and now every time I try and launch the game steam asks me if I'd actually like to launch the game or if I really meant to open Vulkan and how can I turn this off and just have my game start when I click on it.
it's asking you if you want to launch the game in vulkan or in directx. i think vulkan is supposed to have better performance, but i dunno. this is a little bit tricky to look up because it's mostly people trying to get the vulkan version ahead of time, and not so much solve which of the two they want to run, but this might work:

if you go to your steam library, right click on siege, properties, local files, browse local files, you'll then find rainbowsix.exe and rainbowsix_vulkan. rename rainbowsix.exe to rainbowsixwhatever.exe, and then rainbowsix_vulkan to rainbowsix.exe, or the other way around (also probably use their case, like RainbowSix.exe)

Still Alive
Cardboard Rima

Post by Still Alive » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:40 pm

i think more easily you could just create a shortcut on your desktop to whichever version of the game you want to run, and then, presumably, it should just run that one, because it's not like if you launch into the directx or vulkan version it's gonna be like, hold on, are you sure you don't want the other? steam can do that as something baked into the launcher

Still Alive
Cardboard Rima

Post by Still Alive » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:47 pm

another option, but i saw at least one person say this didn't work for them is messing with your launch options:

https://gameplay.tips/guides/4298-rainb ... siege.html

the suggestion was to punch -vulkan into there, but if that doesn't work, then maybe you can do -dx11 since that looks supported.

drk
Birds are wild
Posting Automaton

Post by drk » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:39 pm

Still Alive wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:33 pm which is just to say you're right, and that they're def not happy about allowing people the option

I think I want to build not a gaming rig, but a non-embarrassing desktop sometime soon. I'll hunt you down for advice when I get more of a handle on the idea.

Still Alive
Cardboard Rima

Post by Still Alive » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:44 pm

i've super been getting into sff pcs and i'm def doing that for my next one so i dunno. maybe you can get into it with me, assuming i don't suggest you buy a two hundred dollar case. it's cool though, you should wait anyways. i mean you said you're waiting but we're waiting on the next generation of intel and yeah obviously you go with the new ryzen, but you know there's good and bad with all of that

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:36 pm

Still Alive wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:40 pm i think more easily you could just create a shortcut on your desktop to whichever version of the game you want to run, and then, presumably, it should just run that one, because it's not like if you launch into the directx or vulkan version it's gonna be like, hold on, are you sure you don't want the other? steam can do that as something baked into the launcher
Desktop shortcut worked perfectly, thanks. I assume it'd work for dota too, if I evert reinstalled that.

Hoshi
Fallen Star
Cardboard Robot

Post by Hoshi » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:25 am

Really gotta wonder when Google is like we need to make sure it's really you, we want to send a message to your phone.

...so could you uhh, tell us what your phone number is, so we can send that message that makes sure this really is you.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:49 am

Hoshi wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:25 am Really gotta wonder when Google is like we need to make sure it's really you, we want to send a message to your phone.

...so could you uhh, tell us what your phone number is, so we can send that message that makes sure this really is you.

They're matching against the phone number you've previously registered with them. If you don't know the phone number on file, they won't send the text. It's a filter to deal with script kiddies.

For all of the very many things I hate about Google, securing accounts is one of the things they're really getting very good at. Last year at Black Hat I spent about an hour talking with one of their security leads about TItan keys and strategies to address phishing. They're one of the orgs really pushing WebAuthN, which I think is going to be a real game changer in internet security. They're very serious about securing and protecting the identities of their users.

More cynically, they don't want anyone else profiting off of your identity.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

Hoshi
Fallen Star
Cardboard Robot

Post by Hoshi » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:26 am

No my thing is, I don't think I gave them a phone number associated with that account (I don't 100% remember though, it was kinda a junk account).
And when they ask for one that's on file, from memory they usually give you a few digits and censor out the rest.