Google makes everything worse

Probably what *this* should be called.
haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Google makes everything worse

Post by haplo » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:02 am

The new tabs are disgusting and obnoxiously large. Luckily there is a way to revert back to the old tabs.

kouharti
...but history refused to change

Re: Google makes everything worse

Post by kouharti » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:30 am

for now

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:35 am

yeah i don't know what they weDISREGARD THAT THE NEW CHROME IS AMAZING

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:38 am

i have yet to receive this update
u gotta skate

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:39 am

chrome://settings/help you're welcome

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:51 am

Rylinks wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:39 am chrome://settings/help you're welcome
oh dang why are the tabs so big; awful
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:52 am

haplo wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:02 am Luckily there is a way to revert back to the old tabs.
instructions please; i can't figure it out
u gotta skate

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:52 am

chrome://flags/ -> UI layout for the browser's top chrome -> Normal you're welcome

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:54 am

phew; thanks thanks
u gotta skate

catonkeyboard
Attaboy! You finished my labyrinth and I'm proud of you!
Let's party like it's 1899

Post by catonkeyboard » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:16 pm

If you have another way to marvel at a web browser taking up a GIG of ram for one tab, I'd like to hear it.
27/50 states of cats on keyboards
|X,,,,X,,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,,,,X,,X,X,X,X,X,,,,X,,X,,X,,,X,,X,X,X,,X,,X,X,,,,,X,|

kouharti

Post by kouharti » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:41 am

Here's a video of a Microsoft employee in the middle of a Microsoft presentation installing Chrome because Edge kept fucking crashing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eELI2J- ... e&t=37m18s

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:08 am

My co-worker who used to work at MS said they have to use all their own software for their jobs, which must be terrible.

kouharti

Post by kouharti » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:15 pm

I can think of something else making everything worse, or rather, looks like we finally owned the linux creator

Hoshi
Fallen Star
Cardboard Robot

Post by Hoshi » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:18 am

kouharti wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:15 pm I can think of something else making everything worse, or rather, looks like we finally owned the linux creator
ooooh I want the goss here

Hoshi
Fallen Star
Cardboard Robot

Post by Hoshi » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:26 am

Also why even after going to chrome://flags and switch off that new design and still get ugly circles every time I open up a new tab?

And why do companies do this thing where it's like "upgrade now? Or agree to upgrade in 7 days?" with message boxes that try to make it impossible to do anything until you click one of the options to agree to upgrade. Geez, just force it on me if you must, this is like the smirky dominant telling me I can choose which hole he fucks me in.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:31 am

:lol:
u gotta skate

Juri
We're Knights of the Round Table
We attack each turn if able
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:34 am

Hoshi wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:26 am Also why even after going to chrome://flags and switch off that new design and still get ugly circles every time I open up a new tab?

And why do companies do this thing where it's like "upgrade now? Or agree to upgrade in 7 days?" with message boxes that try to make it impossible to do anything until you click one of the options to agree to upgrade. Geez, just force it on me if you must, this is like the smirky dominant telling me I can choose which hole he fucks me in.
lolol

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:41 am

Hoshi wrote:Also why even after going to chrome://flags and switch off that new design and still get ugly circles every time I open up a new tab?

I spent like 6 months clicking that stupid button every week when they were rolling out the shitty new google maps. I will click it every week as long as I can to prevent the new gmail from taking over too.

Hoshi
Fallen Star
Cardboard Robot

Post by Hoshi » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:46 am

I'm pretty sure the Gmail one means "we'll upgrade you in a week", not "ask me in a week", though.

That said I just clicked the "learn more" when I went to check and the new look seems to be the new look they already tried to force on me and I turned off, so I have no idea how bad upgrading would actually be anymore.

kouharti

Post by kouharti » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:53 am

Hoshi wrote:
ooooh I want the goss here
i need like a robot gimmick or some kind of twitter bot thing that can dish out information in a totally non hot take sort of way that kind of gets baked into whatever is being said on account of who is giving the information because man this def is in that territory, but can be looked at pretty cleanly

like the linux d00d is something of a dick which, you know, shouldn't be too surprising considering the toxic culture that exists to dissuade females from being involved in programming and pretty much anything to do with computers. wait, hold on, scratch that last part.

so in an effort to kind of like maybe stop being as much of a dick and to discourage other people in the linux collective to also stop being a dick they implemented a kind of code of conduct thing several years ago that sort of did absolutely nothing, a least from the perspective of an outside observer. it wasnt like anybody got kicked out or raked over the coals in a public forum

so then out of nowhere, recently, the linux guy changed the code of conduct from that ineffective thing to the "Contributor Covenant," and then he fucked off so that he could work on "communicating with other human beings." I guess in his late forties he finally decided enough was enough. He's gotta stop saying the word fuck

kouharti

Post by kouharti » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:55 am

good luck getting any information on the contributor covenant without stepping into that territory, though
Specifically, Coraline Ada, the transgender creator of Contributor Covenant, has called herself a "social justice advocate" and has called for open source software to be considered a "political movement" with its own "ideology", whose goal is to realise "the politics of social justice" and "the injection of political ideologies [...] in free software"[11]. She claimed meritocracy is pointless and that the true aim of open source should be to fight "capitalism" and to go against meritocracy by "level playing field" through inclusion of social justice advocates and exclusion of anyone against it[12]. She has argued that "cultures that value meritocracy often result in greater inequality"[13].

Hoshi
Fallen Star
Cardboard Robot

Post by Hoshi » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:03 am

Ehmke joined Betsy Haibel to create a service called the Culture Offset. Culture Offset allowed people who wished to boycott Github but were unable to do so because it was necessary for their work to "offset" their use by directing donations to organizations working to help underrepresented people in the technology industry.
This is really kind of amazing.

kouharti

Post by kouharti » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:03 am

what a fun person

so anyway, this actually does have some, uh, implications

it turns out that linux itself, the software, powering a fuck ton of stuff, like phones for one, isn't actually like an open software program thing that anybody is allowed to use for free, sort of. it turns out that actually anyone who's contributed any code to it actually owns that contributed code, and so can then, you know, stop allowing that code to be taken for free.

and such a thing is actually being suggested to get themselves / linux out of this horrible deal, which, you know, now you can read fun articles about how sjws totally aren't invading a thing and this is all overblown and anyone who's against it is horribly sexist and misogynistic and gatekeeping pc stuff away from women, which, you know, true or not if people actually did pull the trigger on this, things would be very interestingly fucked.

i'm guessing, though, that there'd just be a legal stuff that would have to be resolved in courts while everything just like ran like it always did, and then at the end, everything would continue to, because, like, what phones are just going to stop working? nope

kouharti

Post by kouharti » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:06 am

there's a really great article about the whole controversy right here

https://lulz.com/linux-devs-threaten-ki ... ersy-1252/
The Controversy: Activists from the feminist and LGBTQIA+ communities have been trying to force the Linux project to join the Contributor Covenant since at least 2015. The Contributor Covenant is an agreement to implement a special Code of Conduct (frequently CoC from now on) aimed at changing the predominantly white, straight, and male face of programming. CC’s Code of Conduct is controversial particularly because it allows anyone to be banned from contributing code for any reason, usually with no mechanism for oversight or accountability.

kouharti

Post by kouharti » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:10 am

“‘In all that time I never had to know or care whether my fellow contributors were white, black, male, female, straight, gay, or from the planet Mars, only whether their code was good’; namely, in a project that receives contributions from volunteers who are anonymous beyond a chosen handle, specious claims of exclusion and harassment crumble beneath the most haphazard scrutiny. Contributors reveal as much about their race, sex (securities fraud), and orientation as they want because no one cares about that tangential shit at the end of the day. If there really was some “straight white males only” mentality, the community would insist on determining whether a new contributor is “one of us” before accepting their code, but they don’t do that in the slightest. Thus, it’s patently clear there is no culture of exclusion, but rather a culture of total indifference to individual differences beyond coding ability. The rhetoric of diversity and inclusiveness is just a weapon being used to attack a community that is inherently opposed to identity politics, which is why they’re seen as such a threat to these SJW gestapo.”
man can you imagine. just have good code. your identity doesnt matter. he'll be the first to go

Hoshi
Fallen Star
Cardboard Robot

Post by Hoshi » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:33 am

kouharti wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:53 am so in an effort to kind of like maybe stop being as much of a dick and to discourage other people in the linux collective to also stop being a dick they implemented a kind of code of conduct
Well, the people in that collective often are dicks, though. Not talking politically, I mean like, you ever go onto stack overflow and see (or ask) a question of "how do I do X?" and then there are multiple replies of "there's no reason to ever do X". "flagged for removal as pointless question", etc etc. Like, tons of programmers are just fucking dicks. I guess you attract a lot of people of above average intelligence who think they're above above average intelligence, or something.

And I went down a nice rabbithole of reading stuff (including some of the stuff you're quoting down there) and yeah, no matter how much I try to understand the argument I just cannot grasp how meritocracy is a bad thing, but it's a bit disheartening when you go into the comments, and everyone's bringing up stuff that's not even related to tech, like for one example, multiple references to The Red Pill movie. It doesn't really give the impression of a bunch of coders being invaded by the crazy SJWs, it gives the impression that you've wandered into the other collection of people way too huffed up on politics.

Hoshi
Fallen Star
Cardboard Robot

Post by Hoshi » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:35 am

Hoshi wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:33 am I just cannot grasp how meritocracy is a bad thing
It's one thing to say "everybody should earn enough money to live comfortably regardless of how capable they are", you might have an argument there. But the idea that rewarding doing a good job is somehow grossly toxic is just... can't even

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:39 am

u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:40 am

Their argument seems to be gesturing at the idea that elites send their kids to private schools, where they get all A+s and end up as president of the Junior Strivers Club. Then they go to Harvard and dazzle their professors with their sparkling wit and dapper suits. Then they get hired right out of college to high-paying management positions at Chase-Bear-Goldman-Sallie-Manhattan-Stearns-Sachs-Mae-FEDGOV. Then they eat truffle-flavored caviar all day and tell each other “Unlike past generations of elites, we are meritocrats who truly deserve our positions, on account of our merit”, as the poor gnash their teeth outside.
SSC can write some fun sentences sometimes
u gotta skate

drk
Birds are wild
Posting Automaton

Post by drk » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:20 am

haplo wrote:
Hoshi wrote:Also why even after going to chrome://flags and switch off that new design and still get ugly circles every time I open up a new tab?

I spent like 6 months clicking that stupid button every week when they were rolling out the shitty new google maps. I will click it every week as long as I can to prevent the new gmail from taking over too.
I just put off my phone upgrade for eight days, twenty-three hours, fifty-nine minutes and fifty-one seconds, the maximum allowed until it automatically ran.