Google makes everything worse

Probably what *this* should be called.
Magical
Adding Machine
Adding Machine

Re: Google makes everything worse

Post by Magical » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:42 am

Anyways, I fully believe Twitter did some active meddling in the trending topics, even if just someone or a team looking over what an algorithm spat out for a bit of curation by hand. Why was Twitter trying to remind me to vote in the midterms?

I don't think you have to think Musk is Bad Team to look at him flail about and say "that's stupid", though. As per Matt Levine's comments about Twitter addiction, just look at this totally healthy graph

Grim.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:15 am

1) does he not sleep?
2) i wish there were numbers about how many tweets per day that is on average, because visually it looks like "whoa" but i don't really understand what it is actually telling me
u gotta skate

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:22 am

Magical wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:53 am Damn, I just tried it in google translate and it actually is. That's pretty baller.

EDIT: The reason I thought it was fake was because the translation does things I didn't expect of a machine like ignore words to boil down to overall meaning, and cope with what is either weird grammar I've not seen before or just a typo.
I use DeepL for my machine translation needs, but it's gotten significantly better at Japanese over the last year. Still not good, but better. I assume the same is true of GT.

Magical
Adding Machine
Adding Machine

Post by Magical » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:06 am

Crunchums wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:15 am but i don't really understand what it is actually telling me
The more circles, the more unhappiness :gft:

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:12 am

he does seem to sleep up to several hours each night, though. should be fine

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:12 am

haplo wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:46 pm The important thing to remember is that Twitter was already terrible before Elon took it over

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:17 am

As usual, the chorus of people baby crying about Musk on my Twitter feed are making me root for him, but even I have to admit his motives do not seem pure as the driven snow here.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:37 pm

i'm crying

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:10 pm

input eagles
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:11 am

and that's the tea
u gotta skate

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:29 am

Crunchums wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:11 am and that's the tea
Part of me really hopes that twitter burns. I think it is flawed and destructive communication technology that amplifies the effects of the Greater Internet Fuckwad theory.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:36 am

i mean i feel you, but then the question is whether it would get replaced by something better or by something worse
u gotta skate

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:39 am

Crunchums wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:36 am i mean i feel you, but then the question is whether it would get replaced by something better or by something worse
I'd roll the dice on that one.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:40 am

On the flip side, if a whole bunch of twits are bailing at Twitter, there are a whole bunch of ex Facebook/Amazon people looking for work....

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:58 am

if mastadon manages to take over, then it's better at least. the more systems like this to become true open platforms the better

musk's dream of "free speech twitter" is inherently impossible so long as twitter remains in sole control of the platform

Luna
...but history refused to change

Post by Luna » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:04 am

Dantes wrote:On the flip side, if a whole bunch of twits are bailing at Twitter, there are a whole bunch of ex Facebook/Amazon people looking for work....
one hundred and twenty thousand tech layoffs this year with time to go. this is more than the dot com bubble burst, but you know. not the most one for one

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:37 am

haplo wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:58 am musk's dream of "free speech twitter" is inherently impossible so long as twitter remains in sole control of the platform
This seems intuitively correct.

Maybe the solution is some sort of an open twitter message standard, network interoperability, and peering agreements. Then you choose your preferred gatekeeper/client.

Open networks, closed clients.

Luna

Post by Luna » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:40 am

Dantes wrote:
That seems intuitively correct.

Maybe the solution is some sort of an open twitter message standard, network interoperability, and peering agreements. Then you choose you preferred gatekeeper/client.

we should call it something really nerdy too, like the federated universe, after star trek. might need to slam that together, though. try to make something catchier

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:52 am

Dantes wrote:
haplo wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:58 am musk's dream of "free speech twitter" is inherently impossible so long as twitter remains in sole control of the platform

Maybe the solution is some sort of an open twitter message standard, network interoperability, and peering agreements. Then you choose your preferred gatekeeper/client.

my understanding is that this is basically what mastadon is, privately run hubs that have the ability to interact with each other and an open format with mulitple clients

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:56 am

Luna wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:40 am
Dantes wrote:
That seems intuitively correct.

Maybe the solution is some sort of an open twitter message standard, network interoperability, and peering agreements. Then you choose you preferred gatekeeper/client.

we should call it something really nerdy too, like the federated universe, after star trek. might need to slam that together, though. try to make something catchier
I would call it The Organian Protocol.

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:59 am

the other inherent problem with twitter is the entire concept of verification. the internet is much better as a platform that isn't tied to identities because it reduces any single person's voice. tying a message to a person just amplifies one message and drowns out all others. I'd get rid of usernames all together if I could

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:59 am

haplo wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:52 am
Dantes wrote:

my understanding is that this is basically what mastadon is, privately run hubs that have the ability to interact with each other and an open format with mulitple clients
Interesting.

Honestly, I'm a huge fan of interop, standards, and choice. It's worked really well with Browsers. I have no idea why it wouldn't work with something like Twitter.

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:01 am

people don't want it

it's like how discord made irc slightly more user-friendly and now they get to own the entire thing forever

Luna

Post by Luna » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:03 am

haplo wrote:the other inherent problem with twitter is the entire concept of verification. the internet is much better as a platform that isn't tied to identities because it reduces any single person's voice. tying a message to a person just amplifies one message and drowns out all others. I'd get rid of usernames all together if I could
four chan lost old, man. get over it >:3

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:04 am

haplo wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:59 am the other inherent problem with twitter is the entire concept of verification. the internet is much better as a platform that isn't tied to identities because it reduces any single person's voice. tying a message to a person just amplifies one message and drowns out all others. I'd get rid of usernames all together if I could
That's a different conversation, but a conversation with which I am highly sympathetic.

Luna

Post by Luna » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:05 am

thing shouldnt be tied to identity he says

in current year

fake edit - not that i don't agree with you

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:06 am

Luna wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:05 am thing shouldnt be tied to identity he says

in current year

fake edit - not that i don't agree with you
I am a security person. I'm good at it too.

I think Identity on the internet is important. I also think anonymity is vitally important as well.

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:07 am

i don't see how tying messages to a person drowns out others on twitter. no one is going to see a person's messages unless they deliberately follow them or someone who they follow retweets them

Luna

Post by Luna » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:10 am

Dantes wrote:
Interesting.

Honestly, I'm a huge fan of interop, standards, and choice. It's worked really well with Browsers. I have no idea why it wouldn't work with something like Twitter.
the federated universe / fediverse is more than just twitter / mastadon. it's actually what web 3.0 is supposed to be, sort of. but that got hijacked by the crypto guys. i guess technically it was going to have something to do with the blockchain, so ok, and this stuff isn't truly decentralized now because you still have guys on top hosting / controlling the server itself. but it's sort of whatever because if those admins do suck you just surf on the splinters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXB26d8qcN4

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:17 am

Rylinks wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:07 am i don't see how tying messages to a person drowns out others on twitter. no one is going to see a person's messages unless they deliberately follow them or someone who they follow retweets them
It shouldn't, as long as the algorithms are fair. Which can be solved by making them open as well.