Google makes everything worse

Probably what *this* should be called.
Luna
...but history refused to change

Re: Google makes everything worse

Post by Luna » Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:30 pm

seathesee wrote:
i actually legitimately miss internet explorer.
i miss the internet from when internet explorer was relevant

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:56 pm

Luna wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:28 pm Under subscription plans recently rolled out in the United Kingdom, Germany, South Korea and several other markets, BMW owners will have to pay the equivalent of $18 per month to turn on the heated front seats that are already installed in their vehicles.

In South Korea, the UK and other markets, BMW is also selling subscriptions for other vehicle features.

Car owners will have to pay $12 per month to use their heated steering wheels and $42 a month for access to adaptive cruise control.
I'm holding out for the airbag gacha

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:06 pm

Ashenai wrote:
Luna wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:28 pm Under subscription plans recently rolled out in the United Kingdom, Germany, South Korea and several other markets, BMW owners will have to pay the equivalent of $18 per month to turn on the heated front seats that are already installed in their vehicles.

In South Korea, the UK and other markets, BMW is also selling subscriptions for other vehicle features.

Car owners will have to pay $12 per month to use their heated steering wheels and $42 a month for access to adaptive cruise control.
I'm holding out for the airbag gacha
https://hackaday.com/2021/05/18/do-you- ... o-inflate/

Luna

Post by Luna » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:57 am

Luna

Post by Luna » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:59 am

context:
Tim Hortons' mobile app tracked and recorded users' movements resulting in "a mass invasion of Canadians' privacy" that violated Canadian laws, an investigation by federal and provincial privacy commissioners has found.

The investigation concluded that while Tim Hortons asked its millions of mobile app users for permission to access geolocation data, the company misled them into thinking the information would only be used when the app was open. In fact, the app tracked user data as long as the device was left on, generating an "event" every time users entered or exited a Tim Hortons competitor, a major sports venue or their home or workplace, according to the investigation.

Federal privacy commissioner Daniel Therrein says in a statement that the Tim Hortons app tracked and recorded users' movements every few minutes on a daily basis, even when the app was not opened, "resulting in a mass invasion of Canadians' privacy."
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/tim-h ... 34196.html

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:00 am

They had their own app?
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Luna

Post by Luna » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:01 am

Doug wrote:They had their own app?
everyone has their own app now. i hear food's actually cheaper in it too. mcdonalds at least has sales or .. something.

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:51 pm

tim hortons is garbage

coffee, food, and also app apparently

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:05 pm

When I was living in downtown St. Louis, a Tim Horton's opened up right where downtown becomes downtown west, so basically downtown but near the city hall and the memorial district

It was always deserted
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:12 pm

Khaos wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:51 pm tim hortons is garbage
Right?

I used to hear from Canadians about how awesome Tim Horton's is. When I finally visited one I was surprised at how mundane it was. It was a little like a cheap Dunkin' Donuts.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:12 pm

you just described nearly all chain establishments in existence

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:31 pm

tim hortons is especially bad

Luna

Post by Luna » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:59 pm

they do alright though because they have zero competition. there might be local joints you could go to instead but you know that's like saying you could go to a local joint to get a burger instead of <fast food chain here>. americans are probably thinking like, well, what about dunkin? don't got it. krispy kreme? nope. just tims. we have a robins donuts too but not everywhere. not a lot of places. it's like uh kmart to walmart, but worse

edit - man, theyre only available in like three provinces now according to their website

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:59 pm

reposting my story from slack
wow, meta recruiters called my parents' house
I got an email before break that was like "we have special positions approved from Mark himself blah blah", and then a few days after that, I got a message from that person's boss saying "I'm the manager I just wanted to follow up on those positions you were asked about"
then I clicked the "remove me from facebook recruiting" link in the email
and now finally they somehow got my parents phone number from... facebook that I put in 20 years ago? that number definitely isn't on linked in
the phone number isn't actually on my fb page anywhere so they must just have it stored internally in a db somewhere

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:01 pm

prepare for facebook people holding a boombox under your window

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:07 pm

yikes
u gotta skate

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:25 pm

I cannot connect my garage door openers to my new router and I am about ready to throw a chair at one. I called support and they assured me I had the password wrong and there is nothing else that could be the problem. Fuck you, Chamberlain.

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:26 pm

pterrus wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:25 pm I cannot connect my garage door openers to my new router and I am about ready to throw a chair at one. I called support and they assured me I had the password wrong and there is nothing else that could be the problem. Fuck you, Chamberlain.
i think your problem is that you're trying to connect garage door openers to your router

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:42 pm

Rylinks wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:26 pm
pterrus wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:25 pm I cannot connect my garage door openers to my new router and I am about ready to throw a chair at one. I called support and they assured me I had the password wrong and there is nothing else that could be the problem. Fuck you, Chamberlain.
i think your problem is that you're trying to connect garage door openers to your router
Once you do it you can never go back, you never have to wonder if you forgot to close it.

Luna

Post by Luna » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:39 pm

pterrus wrote:I cannot connect my garage door openers to my new router and I am about ready to throw a chair at one. I called support and they assured me I had the password wrong and there is nothing else that could be the problem. Fuck you, Chamberlain.
what are you doing? trying to do?

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:52 pm

Luna wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:39 pm
pterrus wrote:I cannot connect my garage door openers to my new router and I am about ready to throw a chair at one. I called support and they assured me I had the password wrong and there is nothing else that could be the problem. Fuck you, Chamberlain.
what are you doing? trying to do?
I just got fiber installed so, new router. Everything else is connecting to wifi fine except for the stupid garage door openers. They can connect to the old router fine, but not the new one. I disabled the 5.0 band just in case and made super extra sure the signal strength was fine. Finally, I even tried setting the network to open, no encryption. And it's still giving me a fail at step "W4: Credentials".

It's a Beacon 2 router. Searching around, it looks like this guy had the same problem with a tplink.

Luna

Post by Luna » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:17 pm

it sounds like it's trying to send the credentials of the old router to the new router and the new router doesnt know what to do about that. searching for this is tricky, and i'm not sure why you wouldnt still then be able to connect to an open router just anyway but i guess if you're throwing stuff at your router unnecessarily it might get confused or whatever. have you tried factory reset-ing the garage thingy?

Luna

Post by Luna » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:19 pm

i don't think there'd be any consequence to that. everyone seems focused on fixing the problem with the router but the router seems fine

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:32 pm

I've wiped the opener wifi config plenty of times, that doesn't help. There are 2 openers, neither of them connect.

I could try factory resetting the opener, but then I have to re-pair the remotes in the cars and I kind of suspect it won't work anyway. Probably going to just buy a new router and hope that works.

Luna

Post by Luna » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:33 pm

pterrus wrote:I've wiped the opener wifi config plenty of times, that doesn't help. There are 2 openers, neither of them connect.

I could try factory resetting the opener, but then I have to re-pair the remotes in the cars and I kind of suspect it won't work anyway. Probably going to just buy a new router and hope that works.
ok that sounds terrible. i'm watching a video now and it's pretty particular about connecting to 2.4, mac filtering being off, and connecting only to wpa wpa2 or wpa3, so i'm trying to find a manual for your router to see what its default settings are

Luna

Post by Luna » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:34 pm

also the way they added a fucking phone app to this sure makes the whole thing a nightmare

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:38 pm

Here's what I found and none of this helps:
https://support.chamberlaingroup.com/s/ ... 4145723404

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:02 pm

can you connect your old router to your new router?

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:05 pm

Khaos wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:02 pm can you connect your old router to your new router?
I believe Frontier is going to claw back the old router when I cancel their ass so this is not a solution.

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:10 pm

damn