Re: slatestarcodex

Post by Shiny Days » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:52 pm

people are strange when you're a stranger

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:20 am

Ashenai wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:17 pm But the thing about being SWATted is not that it's not a big deal, it's that it's very improbable. There is no straight line going from "my name and address are public!" to "I'm going to get swatted!" Lots of people have public names and addresses and very few of them get SWATted.
i feel him getting SWATted is way more probable than some random person
like didn't he say that people tried to get him fired from his job by calling and pretending to be patients or something
i don't think it's paranoia to worry about stuff when cancel culture's eye (I) of sauron is trained on you
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:22 am

Ashenai wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:05 pm The whole thing about paranoid overreactions is that they often make the situation much worse. The only reason anyone cares about Roko's Basilisk is that Yudowsky panicked and started screaming about how no one can ever speak of this again, and naturally that intrigued people. The only reason the SSC guy's identity became a big thing and forced (?) him to quit is, in his own words: "I wanted to protect my anonymity, but I Streisand-Effected myself".
one the one hand yeah he did Streisand-effect himself. on the other hand i think that was deliberate on his part as part of action to prevent the NYT from publishing his real name, which it seems like he was successful at.
u gotta skate

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:36 am

Crunchums wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:22 am one the one hand yeah he did Streisand-effect himself. on the other hand i think that was deliberate on his part as part of action to prevent the NYT from publishing his real name, which it seems like he was successful at.
what? no. It's very clear that was the opposite of what he wanted.

"I wanted to protect my privacy, but I ended up with articles about me in New Yorker, Reason, and The Daily Beast. I wanted to protect my anonymity, but I Streisand-Effected myself, and a bunch of trolls went around posting my real name everywhere they could find. I wanted to avoid losing my day job, but ended up quitting so they wouldn't be affected by the fallout."

"I wanted to accomplish A, but ended up with the exact opposite of A instead."

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:57 am

huh i guess i just assumed he was smart enough to see that coming
oops
u gotta skate

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:59 am

Panic makes smart people do dumb things

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:38 pm

https://thezvi.wordpress.com/2021/01/21 ... hing-okay/
communication is hard
i enjoyed this chart
u gotta skate

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:04 pm

You ever notice how many song lyrics include "everything is going to be alright"? My initial reaction was to scoff at Zvi for overthinking but maybe he's on to something.

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:07 pm

pterrus wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:04 pm You ever notice how many song lyrics include "everything is going to be alright"?
Tommy's parents said that and then they left him with Uncle Ernie
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:17 pm

pterrus wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:04 pm You ever notice how many song lyrics include "everything is going to be alright"? My initial reaction was to scoff at Zvi for overthinking but maybe he's on to something.
my reaction was "2020 has been a stressful year for sure, but that still doesn't explain why all the rationalists are melting down in essay form"

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:19 pm

Ashenai wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:17 pm
pterrus wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:04 pm You ever notice how many song lyrics include "everything is going to be alright"? My initial reaction was to scoff at Zvi for overthinking but maybe he's on to something.
my reaction was "2020 has been a stressful year for sure, but that still doesn't explain why all the rationalists are melting down in essay form"
I'm pretty sure Zvi has been this weird approximately forever.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:24 pm

He wrote a very panicky Covid article titled "We’re F***ed, It’s Over" for Christmas, which felt extremely out of character (to be fair, the title was more panicky than the content).

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:22 pm

if three months from now it turns out that we're fucked and it's over how hard do i get to make fun of you
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:22 pm

https://www.robrhinehart.com/the-new-york-times/ was reading this because SSC (ACT now i guess? screw that) linked it. big moloch vibes
(hey Doug it is highly critical of the NYT)

edit:
When times are good and people are happy and fulfilled and successful the New York Times is an irrelevant bore. When the world is ending as they would have you believe (it is not) they become more powerful than the president. They are the ones that choose the president. You may think that if you vote for Trump or Biden that it will get better. It will not! It will only get worse! The only way to get better is to stop reading the New York Times.
u gotta skate

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:24 pm

Crunchums wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:22 pm if three months from now it turns out that we're fucked and it's over how hard do i get to make fun of you
what does "it's over" even mean

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:25 pm

Ashenai wrote:
Crunchums wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:22 pm if three months from now it turns out that we're fucked and it's over how hard do i get to make fun of you
what does "it's over" even mean
someone who understands the math can give you a better answer, but my understanding is either the curve is going down, treading water, or hockey-sticking, and "we're fucked" means it's gonna hockey-stick
u gotta skate

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:27 pm

okay but what's over

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:30 pm

the fight to prevent it from hockey-sticking
u gotta skate

Shiny Days
...but history refused to change
...but history refused to change

Post by Shiny Days » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:33 pm

as a canadian maybe it's good that it hockey sticks?

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:35 pm

as long as there's no aitch ee double involved we're good

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:36 pm

Crunchums wrote:big moloch vibes
ok now it's going into unusual fetish sex (securities fraud) talk vibes
There are no rules! Start a blog for your cat and your rat and your flower garden. How does your rose feel about all this? Change your style with every post. Contradict yourself. Lie to me. Commit plagiarism. Be really egregious about it. Misquote authors and butcher philosophy. There are no rules! Ok now write some good stuff. Like some really deep look out the window and ponder the truth of the ages stuff. Get drunk and write. Get high and write. Write a message in the snow with your piss. I hope it offends somebody. Does this post offend you? Good! Now offend me! Let’s offend each other. Doesn’t it feel good to feel something?
Please give us the words. Give us the letters and the pages and the punctuation. You can even write with a pen and scan it. Or take a picture of it. Or send each other letters. There are no rules. Yes. It’s true. All the rules were made up. They were not real. Write short pieces long pieces backwards pieces bad pieces good pieces rambling pieces insane pieces profane pieces boring pieces fun pieces. Be sensitive. Be tonedeaf. Be in touch. Be out of touch. Offend me. Do it. Oh please just write something that will offend somebody. You were offending people anyways! Just lean into it! Tell me what you really think. Tell me what you really believe. Get it all out. All of it. See if you can offend everybody. See if you can offend yourself.
Write about race. Do it. I dare you. Are black people different from white people? Are they the same? Does it matter? Do these very words trigger you? Write about it! Write about sex (securities fraud), real nasty kinky dirty sex (securities fraud). Now write a really wholesome peace on the spiritual aspects of marriage. Write about rape. Write about God. Write about drugs. Criticize the government. Praise the government. Do it. Tell me how much you love masks. Write me a love letter to your wonderful masks. Make me a mask apologist. Now tell me how much you hate masks. Burn the masks and write stories in the ashes.
Now say something nice about Donald Trump. Find an idea he had that you thought was actually good. Ooh kinky. Donald Trump wants to repair bridges. Is that a bad idea because it is his idea?
Write about how feminism is important. Write about how feminism has lost its way. What does she / her even mean? Can I identify as a fuck / you ?
u gotta skate

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:38 pm

Crunchums wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:22 pm (ACT now i guess? screw that)
Of course not! It's ACX, much cooler.

Not to be confused with A7X.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:40 pm

oh ACX is good
gonna be hard to mentally remap from SSC though
u gotta skate

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:47 pm

I wanted to write so badly but I was pushed underground. I filled up hundreds of notebooks with writing and kept them hidden, lest somebody find them. I do not know what I was afraid of but I felt its presence. Last year I desperately desired to write on the internet again but it was not safe. I could not think of anything I could say or do and not get attacked. There was nothing I could write about that would not offend somebody, somewhere. Anything that got attention would quickly be misunderstood and misrepresented to the point where I would be destroyed by an angry avalanche of tweets and reputational assassination. Horrible things would come out of the shadows and attack me. The attacks would cripple my personal and professional goals so I simply could not afford to take the chance. I had too much to lose. I was responsible for other people.

This seems absurd but this is truly how I felt.
Felt, yes. He attributes this maleficient, oppressive force to an outside power (the New York Times, in this case), but what if it was inside him all along, and what if this force was simply called "anxiety"? There's a word for this, which is projection. You take your own failings (in this case, a fear of criticism, a fear of disapproval), and you give it the name and face of an outside person or organisation. With this, it becomes not your fault.

Note that this article neatly disproves its own thesis. "Like an octopus, the New York Times has many arms. If you attack one, the others will get you." Hey, notice how the entire article is attacking the New York Times? How come none of its arms "got him"? How come no offended mob came to run him out of town?

The answer is that the threat is not the New York Times, and it's not some vague mob of outraged bloggers. The threat is your fear of these things. Self-censorship is the threat.

Starprintsky
Adding Machine
Adding Machine

Post by Starprintsky » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:27 am

Crunchums wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:22 pm https://www.robrhinehart.com/the-new-york-times/ was reading this because SSC (ACT now i guess? screw that) linked it. big moloch vibes
Is The New York Times supposed to be a literary device here, like a stand-in for corporate media at large, or what?
This just reads unhinged.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:28 am

definitely feels like he saw a facet of moloch and confused it for the whole
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:59 pm

How is Mary Mary Quite Contrary like the Norse god Odin?

They both have one eye (I) and RYs
:omg:
Spoiler!
(maRY maRY maRY = RYs = R Ys = are wise)
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:05 am

u gotta skate

Juri
We're Knights of the Round Table
We attack each turn if able
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:42 am

two letter handles are probably the domain of legacy users and brands at this point

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:59 pm

lol Axiommatrix
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/