Re: slatestarcodex

Post by Juri » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:56 am

oh hey you made the SSC thread before I could

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:57 am

I'm reading Unsong right now. It's cool, but it's confusing to read that and A Canticle For Leibowitz at the same time
"Ireland’s Ireland and Scotland’s Scotland anyone who thinks different is a cunt" - Liam Gallagher

Pershore
D4 Damager
sparta ;_;

Post by Pershore » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:38 am

more like aelDONT #owned
You are in error, no-one is screaming, thank you for your cooperation.

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:27 pm

oooooHH

Subject: crippled masters

Bring on the kung-fu amputees - no arms vs. no legs anyone? A bit of high-speed underground ninja-tunneling is always good as well. I wanna see some shit like that. Crazy monks with gnarly special powers can make any film good. FACT.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:46 am

http://slatestarcodex.com/2018/10/24/no ... -tradeoff/
hey who remembers the grobot philosophy thread where i wandered about confusingly between utilitarianism and contractualism
because this is right on my main thought of [utility] is the thing that matters, but "just maximize utility" isn't the answer (even once you deal with utility monsters / the repugnant conclusion / etc)
u gotta skate

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:56 am

every country in the world has the death penalty for walking in front of a bus

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:55 pm

Unsong is great. I just hit this, & it is tops.
http://unsongbook.com/interlude-%d7%a0-changelog/
PATCH 5776.11 IS NOW COMPLETE. WORK HAS BEGUN ON PATCH 5777.0. HERE IS A FINAL CHANGELOG FOR PATCH 5776.11:

1. HUMANS NO LONGER DEPLETE WILLPOWER WHEN ENGAGING IN DIFFICULT TASKS; GLUCOSE NO LONGER NECESSARY TO REPLENISH IT.
2. ROCKETS CAN NOW LAND ON PLATFORMS AND BE REUSED IF NEEDED.
3. USER FFUKUYAMA COMPLAINS THAT THE POLITICAL SYSTEM HAS BECOME BORING. IN ORDER TO MAKE THINGS MORE INTERESTING, FIRST WORLD COUNTRIES WILL OCCASIONALLY FLIRT WITH FAR-RIGHT NATIONALISM.
4. UK NO LONGER CONSIDERED PART OF EUROPE FOR PURPOSE OF ECONOMIC BONUSES.
5. VOLKSWAGENS NOW REPORT CORRECT GAS MILEAGE STATISTICS.
6. FOUR NEW ELEMENTS ADDED TO PERIODIC TABLE, BUT THEY DO NOT HAVE MANY FEATURES RIGHT NOW.
7. NEW DISEASE ADDED: ZIKA VIRUS HAS STANDARD INFECTION RISK BUT DEALS EXTRA DAMAGE TO FETUSES IN UTERO. COME UP WITH BETTER NAME LATER.
8. NPCS NO LONGER TREAT MARIJUANA AS DEADLY MIND-ALTERING TOXIN.
9. MANUALLY ADDED EXTRA RAIN TO CALIFORNIA; WILL FIX CLIMATE SYSTEM LATER.
10. NUTRITIONAL SYSTEM HAS BEEN REWORKED WITH MAJOR CHANGES IN WHICH FOODS CAUSE CANCER AND HEART DISEASE. I PROMISE THIS IS THE LAST TIME I WILL DO THIS.
11. ADDED SIMPLE MODE FOR NUTRITIONAL SYSTEM SO USERS CAN CHOOSE WHETHER OR NOT TO MANUALLY BALANCE THEIR NUTRITION.
12. AFFLUENZA STILL IS NOT A REAL DISEASE. PLEASE STOP REQUESTING THIS FEATURE.
13. CHINA NO LONGER ABLE TO CREATE INFINITE MONEY BY TAKING OUT NEW LOANS TO COVER PREVIOUS LOANS.
14. SHARKS WERE PREVIOUSLY MUCH LESS DANGEROUS THAN DOCUMENTATION SUGGESTED. SHARKS HAVE BEEN UPDATED TO BE MUCH MORE DANGEROUS.
15. DRONE USES EXPANDED BEYOND MURDERING FOREIGN CHILDREN TO INCLUDE PHOTOGRAPHY AND PIZZA DELIVERY.
16. FIXED ISSUE WHERE ONLY DRUNK PEOPLE COULD SEE BIGFOOT. ALL PRIMATES ARE NOW VISIBLE REGARDLESS OF SOBRIETY STATUS.
17. ALL MEMES FROM 2015 AND EARLIER HAVE BEEN DEACTIVATED AND NO LONGER PRODUCE INAPPROPRIATE FASCINATION. PLEASE REPORT NEW MEMES AS THEY ARISE.
18. IMPROVED TASTE OF PLANT-BASED MEAT REPLACEMENT PRODUCTS AS PART OF PLAN TO PHASE OUT ANIMALS BY PATCH 5810.0.
19. PARTY PRIMARIES NOW PROMOTE A RANDOM MIX OF QUALIFIED CANDIDATES AND MEGALOMANIACAL BUFFOONS.
20. THANKS TO USER RDAWKINS FOR POINTING OUT SEVERAL CONTRADICTIONS IN THE BIBLE. THESE HAVE BEEN FIXED. I CONTINUE TO OFFER 2.56 SHEKELS TO ANYONE WHO REPORTS A NEW BIBLICAL CONTRADICTION.
21. NOW POSSIBLE TO USE LOGICAL INDUCTION TO PREDICT LIKELIHOOD OF MATHEMATICAL TRUTH BEFORE PROOF HAS BEEN DEVELOPED.
22. UPDATED WHO WILL DIE BY FIRE AND WHO BY WATER, WHO BY SWORD AND WHO BY FAMINE. NOBODY WILL DIE FROM WILD BEASTS. PLEASE STOP REQUESTING THIS FEATURE.

SEVERAL TOPICS HAVE BEEN FLAGGED AS CONTINUED ISSUES THAT REQUIRE FURTHER WORK IN PATCH 5777.0:

1. EVERYTHING ABOUT SYRIA IS TERRIBLE AND I AM SORRY.
2. INSTEAD OF TALKING ABOUT POLITICAL ISSUES, POLITICIANS SOMETIMES TALK ABOUT CARTOON FROGS.
3. STOCK MARKET KEEPS CRASHING. NEED TO FINALLY MAKE THIS STABLE OR JUST COMMENT OUT ENTIRE FINANCIAL SYSTEM.
4. HAVE RECEIVED REPORTS THAT EXPERIMENTAL SPACE DRIVES VIOLATE CONSERVATION OF MOMENTUM. STILL INVESTIGATING THIS.
5. SOMETIMES PEOPLE GO INTO PUBLIC PLACES AND SHOOT A LOT OF INNOCENT PEOPLE FOR NO REASON.
6. RAISING MINIMUM WAGE STILL DOES NOT INCREASE UNEMPLOYMENT. THANKS TO ALL USERS WHO BROUGHT THIS TO MY ATTENTION.
7. ACTUALLY I AM NOT SURE WHY I THOUGHT PARTY PRIMARIES PROMOTING MEGALOMANIACAL BUFFOONS WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA AND I SHOULD PROBABLY CHANGE THIS BACK BEFORE SOMETHING BAD HAPPENS.
8. ELON MUSK IS OVERPOWERED AND NEEDS TO BE NERFED.
9. MUSLIMS KEEP HAVING WARS AND TERRORIST ATTACKS EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE THE RELIGION OF PEACE. NEED TO EITHER CHANGE RELIGION-SPECIFIC PROBABILITY OF VIOLENCE, OR ELSE SWITCH WHICH RELIGION GETS ‘RELIGION OF PEACE’ DESIGNATION.
10. PEOPLE CAN GET INFINITE LIFESPAN BY INJECTING BLOOD OF YOUNGER PEOPLE.
11. HOMEOPATHY STILL DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY. AT THIS POINT I MIGHT JUST DELETE THE WHOLE SYSTEM AND STICK WITH ONLY ONE FORM OF MEDICINE.
12. SPELLING OF “BERENSTEIN BEARS” CHILDREN’S SERIES REMAINS UNSTABLE.
13. SHIPS GIVEN THE NAME “WINDOC” ALWAYS CRASH INTO BRIDGES. THIS IS NOT AN EASTER EGG AND I AM STILL TRYING TO FIND OUT WHY IT HAPPENS.
14. STAR KIC 8462852 IN CONSTELLATION CYGNUS IS BROKEN. SINCE THERE ARE MILLIONS OF STARS I THINK THIS IS STILL A PRETTY GOOD TRACK RECORD THOUGH.
15. EXPLOIT WHERE YOU CAN DESTROY AN ENTIRE ANIMAL SPECIES JUST BY GENETICALLY ENGINEERING ONE INDIVIDUAL. IF ANYONE TRIES THIS I WILL SMITE THEM.
16. ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY WAS SUPPOSED TO RELEASE NEW STAR WARS MOVIE, INSTEAD JUST RELEASED FIRST STAR WARS MOVIE AGAIN WITH NEW CHARACTER NAMES. WILL INVESTIGATE AND SOLVE BEFORE ANY NEW STAR WARS MOVIES COME OUT.
17. MEN CONTINUE TO OUTPERFORM WOMEN IN VARIOUS FIELDS. I AM AWARE OF THIS PROBLEM. PLEASE STOP SENDING ME ANGRY EMAILS.
18. KIM JONG-UN IS ABLE TO GET HOLES-IN-ONE EVERY TIME HE GOES GOLFING. THIS IS AN ERROR AND ALL DICTATORS SHOULD HAVE NORMAL GOLF SKILLS, BUT I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO REPLICATE THE ISSUE YET.
19. “MIRACLE BERRY” EXPLOIT STILL CRASHES HUMAN GUSTATORY RECEPTORS.
20. PEOPLE KEEP GETTING BORN IN WRONG GENDER BODIES. WHOEVER IS BOILING A GOAT IN ITS MOTHER’S MILK NEEDS TO STOP RIGHT NOW.

NEW ISSUES WILL BE ADDED TO THE QUEUE AS THEY ARISE. THERE MAY BE SOME GLITCHES AS THE SYSTEM IS UPDATED TO PATCH 5777.0. IF YOU NOTICE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE WORLD, PLEASE SUBMIT A TICKET USING THE PROCEDURE DESCRIBED IN JEZUBOAD 3:2. PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO SUBMIT A TICKET THROUGH PRAYER. ANY REPORTS RECEIVED THROUGH PRAYER WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.

Subject: crippled masters

Bring on the kung-fu amputees - no arms vs. no legs anyone? A bit of high-speed underground ninja-tunneling is always good as well. I wanna see some shit like that. Crazy monks with gnarly special powers can make any film good. FACT.

Juri
We're Knights of the Round Table
We attack each turn if able
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:22 pm

rianalnn wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:55 pm
22. UPDATED WHO WILL DIE BY FIRE AND WHO BY WATER, WHO BY SWORD AND WHO BY FAMINE. NOBODY WILL DIE FROM WILD BEASTS. PLEASE STOP REQUESTING THIS FEATURE.
lolll

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:58 pm

u gotta skate

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:08 pm

someone should tell them of the theory that the housing market continuously transfers wealth from black people to white people

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:14 pm

i remember you mentioning that argument before, and it seemed plausible. do you have a link?
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:36 pm

https://quillette.com/2018/06/19/why-women-dont-code/ this would be a better link for that argument than SSC except that I think it's insufficiently dismissive of the dumb parts of what Damore said; annoying
u gotta skate

kouharti
...but history refused to change
...but history refused to change

Post by kouharti » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:37 pm

what's quilette?

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:38 pm

a website that contains words and sometimes pictures
with love, your good friend, seathesee

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:44 pm

Dantes posted a thing about it in the politics thread
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ann-221917
which inspired me to read a few of their articles. a few of them (like the ones that i linked above) are about things that SSC has talked about that I appreciate, but actually focused on that specific thing and not so long and meandering
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:47 pm

and both of the above are of the form like "the left incorrectly assumes discrimination is the cause of all inequality"
u gotta skate

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:42 am

Crunchums wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:14 pm i remember you mentioning that argument before, and it seemed plausible. do you have a link?
I don't remember the source, and it's difficult to search for, sorry

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:54 pm

Horseplay is morally indefensible
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:57 pm

“Superpermutations” is a term for mathematemical objects containing every possible permutation of some number of items. The field recently received a jolt when a proof of the lower bound of an important theorem was discovered to have been posted by an anonymous user on a 4chan thread about how many different ways you could watch anime episodes.
uh
u gotta skate

Juri
We're Knights of the Round Table
We attack each turn if able
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:58 am

Crunchums wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:57 pm
“Superpermutations” is a term for mathematemical objects containing every possible permutation of some number of items. The field recently received a jolt when a proof of the lower bound of an important theorem was discovered to have been posted by an anonymous user on a 4chan thread about how many different ways you could watch anime episodes.
uh
Kurisu was right! We really should be able to solve this~

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:45 pm

ssc linked this http://johnsalvatier.org/blog/2017/real ... -of-detail and it's not that long and i enjoyed reading it
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:50 pm

i've been thinking about UBI
i recall SSC posted a survey of economists who were down on it because of how expensive it would be, and how it would be less redistributive than the things it would replace (e.g. medicaid)
i wonder about a (progressive) negative income tax instead? that seems to me like it accomplishes the same goals, except you can filter out people who don't need it
i can't recall SSC talking about that specifically
u gotta skate

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:37 pm

the difference between the two is accounting afaik

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:03 am

meaning, not much?
seems like it would be more politically feasible because you're not giving money to rich people
u gotta skate