Post by Khaos » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:28 pm

that game ruled

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Re: snob music thread

Post by Khaos » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:30 pm

Still Alive wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:12 pm
Doug wrote:Oh wow they put all the Final Fantasy soundtracks on Apple Music finally

Sabre's Edge and Blinded by Light ftw
ff13 music, huh. i don't think i've seen anyone suggest anything good from those games
fierce battle theme is best battle theme

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:56 am

I don't know how many of you dogs of the scurviest sea dig opera but metopera.org is doing free streams all week because COVID. Tonight is Carmen which is basically mono bangers.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:30 pm

new Tom Misch album :omgwub:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=O ... HLSi2c9CZ8
spotify:album:6iOCv7oGL5sGi2aVnRz2BI

1st listen thoughts: seems good, which is unsurprising as he seems incapable of making bad music. i don't instantly love it the way i have with his other stuff. it's more jazzy and less straightforward catchy goodness. but even on first listen i am still feeling parts of like "mm that's the good stuff"
also lol @ including a recording of someone talking about your new music on the album with that new music on it (Julie Mangos. and they ask if they're being recorded and he's like "no"; lol). i wonder if that's meant as a jab at his detractors (if he has detractors?)

there's so much music to explore, but when an artist you love puts out something new it's very exciting
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:01 pm

for rian

using this thread because it's album links (youtube videos that are the first in a playlist for a full album and it will autoplay; some of the songs might be music videos but oh well) and i hope you will post your thoughts if you listen to any of it; snob snob snob snob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRsP8-m ... dex=2&t=0s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCLVOdj ... VMEh9ttpB0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNfBLsC ... dex=2&t=0s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTo_Dsa ... dex=2&t=0s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAglCVD ... dex=2&t=0s
u gotta skate

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:04 pm

:wub:

Subject: crippled masters

Bring on the kung-fu amputees - no arms vs. no legs anyone? A bit of high-speed underground ninja-tunneling is always good as well. I wanna see some shit like that. Crazy monks with gnarly special powers can make any film good. FACT.

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:40 am

I am waaay into the layering bring in the first song, clean piano turning into a wall of sound...but my excitement faded pretty quick - I don't like the singer's voice :( It's like Weird Al decided to be a punk & take himself seriously :s Amazing guitar tone on these tracks though.
These kids are just a bit less heavy than my good mate's band Witch Mountain, & a little less Sabbath than local treasure Kitchen Witch. So sassy. Dirty bass. Slide guitar. I think 'Raise Hell' *is* a Kitchen Witch song :lol: No screamo seems odd to me, probably only because both the bands I mentioned like to dip into it (well. WM kinda lives in Screamo Town). This is like, the best sort of thing a rian finds when it's who's-playing-at-the-Cranker night 🤠
Most of these were region locked :mad: Is it "An 'orse" ? :) I think I am over-saturated with indy bands (& in fairness I think this isn't far off where my songwriting lands, although that is irritatingly hard to judge) so the production on this sounds a little same-same to me vocally but I love the drum sound. Vibing the Lemonheads here, minus instruments & not having Evan Dando melody hooks.
This is the kind of more raw songcrafting I like hearing from indie projects. 'Fear & Force' :wub: I like the experimental elements creeping in, right up to the outright weirdness of Mal à L'aise, but little things like around 1 minute into 'Cold Apartment' where her voice keeps crackings, & the bass sneaks in, & then it's a wall of guitar especially. I want to write musical poems like this :)
I am not ashamed to say, these kids have great hair 😌The accent is not fair, I can listen to that all day, although I think I want more attitude from the instruments/composing. Probably the same reason I am not more into Belle & Sebastian than I am, I am holding out for the standard the Vaselines set for sleazy pop songs :omg: Some amazing sounds though, if I were a breathy soprano I would totally be in this band. 'Shooting Star' if it had a better chorus, or 'If You Still Want Me' are my stand outs. 'My Hearts Beats' wants that razzy guitar pushed forward, they're being too shy, or just really like that plasticine-wrapped compression going on.

Thanks for sharing, Crunchums, I'll be listening to more Vagabon for sure, but I appreciate all these bands (except Weird Al's punk project, maybe >__> )

Bring on the kung-fu amputees - no arms vs. no legs anyone? A bit of high-speed underground ninja-tunneling is always good as well. I wanna see some shit like that. Crazy monks with gnarly special powers can make any film good. FACT.

Hoshi
Fallen Star
Cardboard Robot

Post by Hoshi » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:08 am

rianalnn wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:40 am
I am waaay into the layering bring in the first song, clean piano turning into a wall of sound...but my excitement faded pretty quick - I don't like the singer's voice :( It's like Weird Al decided to be a punk & take himself seriously :s Amazing guitar tone on these tracks though.
Fuck these chords are such beautiful emo goodness but I need at least +30BPM and +1 octave for the guy's voice. Drums could stand to be way more interesting too.

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:03 pm

Hoshi wrote:
Fuck these chords are such beautiful emo goodness but I need at least +30BPM and +1 octave for the guy's voice. Drums could stand to be way more interesting too.
*emphatic nodding* mmhmm mmhmm

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:16 pm

i don't see the weird al thing, but that idea is amusing
i linked that album because i think it's their best one overall, but my actual favorite music by that band is the first two songs of another album https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=O ... Pq9G_tAor4
the second song is great and the first song is basically a long intro for it, and then the rest of the album is kinda meh but still useful as a way of decompressing after the intensity of that 2nd song
probably both of you will feel the same about those two new songs but as long as we're talking Cloud Nothings i want to mention them
These kids are just a bit less heavy than my good mate's band Witch Mountain, & a little less Sabbath than local treasure Kitchen Witch. So sassy. Dirty bass. Slide guitar. I think 'Raise Hell' *is* a Kitchen Witch song :lol: No screamo seems odd to me, probably only because both the bands I mentioned like to dip into it (well. WM kinda lives in Screamo Town). This is like, the best sort of thing a rian finds when it's who's-playing-at-the-Cranker night 🤠
the no-screamo feels natural to me; they're hard rock, not metal
I am not ashamed to say, these kids have great hair 😌The accent is not fair, I can listen to that all day, although I think I want more attitude from the instruments/composing. Probably the same reason I am not more into Belle & Sebastian than I am, I am holding out for the standard the Vaselines set for sleazy pop songs :omg: Some amazing sounds though, if I were a breathy soprano I would totally be in this band. 'Shooting Star' if it had a better chorus, or 'If You Still Want Me' are my stand outs. 'My Hearts Beats' wants that razzy guitar pushed forward, they're being too shy, or just really like that plasticine-wrapped compression going on.
i think i may have posted about them before, because wanting the guitar pushed sounds like a familiar post to me
i like their other album as well https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=O ... pk-jBSQ2e4
probably similar to the Cloud Nothings thing where you won't feel differently, but I wonder if the songs The Fountain and Misery are "pushed" in the way that you are wanting
also my favorite song by them is Stephen
Thanks for sharing, Crunchums, I'll be listening to more Vagabon for sure, but I appreciate all these bands (except Weird Al's punk project, maybe >__> )
<3 (and thanks for sharing your thoughts)
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:35 pm

also your reactions made me think of more things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztRJhZd ... dex=2&t=0s (screechy and dissonant guitars)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dPEnD6 ... dex=2&t=0s (screamo, if i understand what that means?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTZZhmK ... dex=2&t=0s (a friend once described this as something that could be playing in an empty room of an art museum, like as a display)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuqhdm- ... dex=2&t=0s (ROCK)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lThUfF- ... 0w&index=1 ("this old man, he come a lot / it's in your hair, and i don't care / i'm not alright, i'm not alright / it's in your hair")
again, do not feel obligated to check anything out but if you do it is fun to hear your thoughts
u gotta skate

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:59 pm

I just listened to G'n'R's cover of Sympathy for the Devil. I generally like G'n'R (being an impressionable teen when Appetite dropped) and I used to like that version, but it's probably been ten years since I last heard it.

I had to go listen to the Stones original. The G'n'R version is actively bad.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:07 pm

I didn't know that Guns n Roses did a version of that. That doesn't sound good on hearing about it
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Monty
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Monty » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:10 pm

The sad thing is that Sympathy for the Devil was the last gasp of barely recognizable Guns n' Roses. So there was just a moment where I thought that The Spaghetti Incident was just a momentary blip and maybe they'd get back to being an interesting band after they got this extremely half-assed punk covers album out of their system. Maybe it was just something they did to make Duff happy? Nope, they did it to fulfill a contractual obligation with minimal effort. After Sympathy, everybody who was still in the band quit and Axl was free to spend a million years making the unlistenable Chinese Democracy.

It's also extremely funny in the context of the movie Interview With the Vampire, where it shows up right at the end unexpectedly.
The world needs more Bohemian Ear-Spoons

Monty
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Monty » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:11 pm

You know their cover of Live and Let Die from Use Your Illusion? It's done exactly the same way.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:13 pm

Doug wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:07 pm I didn't know that Guns n Roses did a version of that. That doesn't sound good on hearing about it
They actually used to cover a lot of Stones stuff when they were performing live. I used to have a live version of them doing Dead Flowers that I am not ever going to track down again because I want to preserve my memories.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:14 pm

Monty wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:11 pm You know their cover of Live and Let Die from Use Your Illusion? It's done exactly the same way.
That's one that I still like better than the original. I have just never liked McCartney's version of that song.

I will accept your scorn and make no apologies for this one. I know this is a bad opinion.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:18 pm

Monty wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:10 pm The sad thing is that Sympathy for the Devil was the last gasp of barely recognizable Guns n' Roses. So there was just a moment where I thought that The Spaghetti Incident was just a momentary blip and maybe they'd get back to being an interesting band after they got this extremely half-assed punk covers album out of their system. Maybe it was just something they did to make Duff happy? Nope, they did it to fulfill a contractual obligation with minimal effort. After Sympathy, everybody who was still in the band quit and Axl was free to spend a million years making the unlistenable Chinese Democracy.

It's also extremely funny in the context of the movie Interview With the Vampire, where it shows up right at the end unexpectedly.
What, you don't think bucket head is integral to the real G'n'R experience?

Monty
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Monty » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:24 pm

Dantes wrote:
Monty wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:11 pm You know their cover of Live and Let Die from Use Your Illusion? It's done exactly the same way.
That's one that I still like better than the original. I have just never liked McCartney's version of that song.

I will accept your scorn and make no apologies for this one. I know this is a bad opinion.
I do not judge you! I think it's good too. I like GnR all the way through the Use Your Illusions, even as they got ridiculous. Axl was trying to add some edge to Live and Let Die, which I think works. McCartney occasionally rocked in his younger days (Long Tall Sally, Helter Skelter, a few others where he had this cool throaty shout) but his Live and Let Die is very smooth. The "Let Die" part never resonated, and I like how Axl leans into it. But the original Sympathy For the Devil has Mick Jagger at his nastiest, and it's very hard to improve on that.

I have a friend who saw GnR open for the Rolling Stones. It was the show where Axl got snippy on stage about Steven Adler doing too much heroin, which is basically what you want out of that band.

Monty
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Monty » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:25 pm

Dantes wrote:
Monty wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:10 pm The sad thing is that Sympathy for the Devil was the last gasp of barely recognizable Guns n' Roses. So there was just a moment where I thought that The Spaghetti Incident was just a momentary blip and maybe they'd get back to being an interesting band after they got this extremely half-assed punk covers album out of their system. Maybe it was just something they did to make Duff happy? Nope, they did it to fulfill a contractual obligation with minimal effort. After Sympathy, everybody who was still in the band quit and Axl was free to spend a million years making the unlistenable Chinese Democracy.

I think Buckethead is an important part of the GnR story, which should be told to young rock bands as a warning.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:28 pm

Monty wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:24 pm
Dantes wrote:

I do not judge you! I think it's good too. I like GnR all the way through the Use Your Illusions, even as they got ridiculous. Axl was trying to add some edge to Live and Let Die, which I think works. McCartney occasionally rocked in his younger days (Long Tall Sally, Helter Skelter, a few others where he had this cool throaty shout) but his Live and Let Die is very smooth. The "Let Die" part never resonated, and I like how Axl leans into it. But the original Sympathy For the Devil has Mick Jagger at his nastiest, and it's very hard to improve on that.

I have a friend who saw GnR open for the Rolling Stones. It was the show where Axl got snippy on stage about Steven Adler doing too much heroin, which is basically what you want out of that band.
I bet that was a great show! I never got to see them live when they were worth seeing. Some bands are still worth seeing late career, I saw The Who last summer and it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

G'n'R is not one of those bands. :(

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:28 pm

Monty wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:25 pm
Dantes wrote:

I think Buckethead is an important part of the GnR story, which should be told to young rock bands as a warning.
:rofl:

Monty
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Monty » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:44 pm

I saw The Who in 1989, which felt very late at the time, since surely they can't keep going for very long after Keith Moon died.

I've also seen the sex (securities fraud) Pistols (in 1996), Iggy and the Stooges (2005), and the New York Dolls (also in 2005, opening for the Stooges), and they were all pretty enjoyable for what they were. The New York Dolls I particularly remember as being shockingly good. There's a video of the show but I choose not to watch it.

Oh, I also saw what passed for A Flock of Seagulls in a tiny club in 2000. They played "I Ran" three times and the guitarist had a Nine Inch Nails shirt.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:03 pm

Monty wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:44 pm I saw The Who in 1989, which felt very late at the time, since surely they can't keep going for very long after Keith Moon died.
I would have liked to have seen them earlier. When they reconvened after their 90's era hiatus they had Zach Starkey (Ringo Starr's son and Keith Moon's godson) as their drummer. He's not Keith Moon but he can play.

I've seen them three times now, once in the oughts and twice in the teens. I have thoroughly enjoyed the shows and not for a second have I regretted the money I spent on the tickets.
Monty wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:44 pm Oh, I also saw what passed for A Flock of Seagulls in a tiny club in 2000. They played "I Ran" three times and the guitarist had a Nine Inch Nails shirt.
There's just something so wrong about that.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:07 pm

Also if you haven't listed to it, their 2019 album WHO is really good.

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:10 pm

That's what I'm askin' ya!
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Skeletor
How'd you know that loving kittens is my one defining trait?
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:54 am

I think Chinese Democracy was listenable

I don't remember anything else about it though
wow, [you]. that all sounds terrible. i hope it gets better for you

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:01 pm

Skeletor wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:54 am I think Chinese Democracy was listenable

I don't remember anything else about it though
I remember that it took like two decades to get made and by the time it released it was one of the most expensive albums ever made, and I still never listened to all of it.

Skeletor
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:19 pm

Sure. And actually I remember thinking, I wish I was listening to some sweet GnR right now

I just don't think it was unlistenable. It was just an unremarkable album

Which isn't what you expect from an album that takes two decades to make. Actually it probably is, or should be, what you expect, it's just not what you want

Maybe Duke Nukem Forever is the same category

Skeletor
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:25 pm

Any films like that? Probably not because they can't be made as piecemeal

There's gotta be books like that. GoT probably would have been one if TV hadn't beaten it to the punch. Although that's actually different because it's a continuation of something