idk
u gotta skate

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Re: snob music thread

Post by pterrus » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:37 pm

Crunchums wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:21 pm
pterrus wrote:Pretty sure it's just I-V-I-V, which if you're starting in G major should be GBD -> DF#A (in root position, inversions are fine).
where are you getting the I-V-I-V from though? when I play ode to joy on the piano the melody is just some sequence of notes, and then the left hand is also playing one note at a time. i don't see how chords figure into it
Even if you don't play all the voices, the piece still has a chord structure. Like, if you played a C# at any point in there, it would be dissonant. You would hear that it sounds like shit. The chord structure of the piece basically tells us what notes sound good when. You can break the rules if you know what you're doing obviously, but probably not while playing Ode to Joy.

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:38 pm

Crunchums wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:34 pm mi is on third
so is on fifth
idk
rofl amazing
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:42 pm

pterrus wrote: Even if you don't play all the voices, the piece still has a chord structure. Like, if you played a C# at any point in there, it would be dissonant. You would hear that it sounds like shit. The chord structure of the piece basically tells us what notes sound good when. You can break the rules if you know what you're doing obviously, but probably not while playing Ode to Joy.
i thought that was about the scale, not the chords. like ode to joy on piano is in C major (except for the one G# on the left hand. that's during the third phrase, so maybe you're going to tell me that the third phrase is actually different). so when I'm playing it on the banjo in G major, stick with G major notes
u gotta skate

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:45 pm

Crunchums wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:42 pm
pterrus wrote: Even if you don't play all the voices, the piece still has a chord structure. Like, if you played a C# at any point in there, it would be dissonant. You would hear that it sounds like shit. The chord structure of the piece basically tells us what notes sound good when. You can break the rules if you know what you're doing obviously, but probably not while playing Ode to Joy.
i thought that was about the scale, not the chords. like ode to joy on piano is in C major (except for the one G# on the left hand). so when I'm playing it on the banjo in G major, stick with G major notes
That G# is your clue that something else is going on in the chord structure because G# isn't in the C major tonic or dominant. I don't know what the actual chord is but you get the idea.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:50 pm

pterrus wrote: That G# is your clue that something else is going on in the chord structure because G# isn't in the C major tonic or dominant. I don't know what the actual chord is but you get the idea.
ok well that takes me back to:
(outside of the third phrase) all i see is "hey C major", so where is I-V-I-V coming from? I don't understand how you can look at the sequence
E, E, F, G, G, F, E, D, C, C, D, E, E, DD and go oh yes of course the I (C E G) and V (G B D) chords. what?? maybe the left hand (which is alternating between C and G) is important
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:54 pm

music theory: not even once
u gotta skate

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:57 pm

pterrus wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:45 pm
Crunchums wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:42 pm
i thought that was about the scale, not the chords. like ode to joy on piano is in C major (except for the one G# on the left hand). so when I'm playing it on the banjo in G major, stick with G major notes
That G# is your clue that something else is going on in the chord structure because G# isn't in the C major tonic or dominant. I don't know what the actual chord is but you get the idea.
C Augmented
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:58 pm

I kind of have to punt here because I can kind of just hear it. I played cello for years so I just recognize the root by ear. Maybe Rylinks has some advice.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:07 pm

pterrus wrote:I just recognize the root by ear.
oh is it just where the left hand switches?
(I) E, E, F, G, (V) G, F, E, D, (I) C, C, D, E, (V) E, DD
?
pterrus wrote:I kind of have to punt here because I can kind of just hear it.
well then I guess I would ask: does the third phrase sound wrong to you in the banjo version?
u gotta skate

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:17 pm

Crunchums wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:07 pm
pterrus wrote:I just recognize the root by ear.
oh is it just where the left hand switches?
(I) E, E, F, G, (V) G, F, E, D, (I) C, C, D, E, (V) E, DD
?
Yes. The left hand is playing the root there. :hfive:
Crunchums wrote:
pterrus wrote:I kind of have to punt here because I can kind of just hear it.
well then I guess I would ask: does the third phrase sound wrong to you in the banjo version?
Yes. That's what I was saying, I think you have to finger it because the open strings aren't in the chord.

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:20 pm

Or maybe they are but I think you at least need to get a D# in there.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:21 pm

pterrus wrote:Yes. That's what I was saying, I think you have to finger it because the open strings aren't in the chord.
ok which takes me back to how would i figure out what i need to play instead. and i know you said you can't really tell me, but if you listen to the third phrase in the piano version https://youtu.be/yEKDTqDM8v8?t=21 are you able to tell me what it is there?
u gotta skate

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:39 pm

Okay I am a scrub composer but after noodling around on the piano I think the progression there is something like:

V V V * VI II

Where * is D# F# A, which I don't know what to call. I do not think it's actually G augmented.

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:47 pm

This is the blind leading the blind. Don't show this to a music major they will have an aneurysm.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:51 pm

pterrus wrote:Okay I am a scrub composer but after noodling around on the piano I think the progression there is something like:

V V V * VI II

Where * is D# F# A, which I don't know what to call. I do not think it's actually G augmented.
is this for the banjo version that's based around G major or the piano version that's based around C major?
what part of the third phrase is the * part? because it seems like even if you're right that it's wrong, it's only wrong for that part of the third phrase and not the whole thing?
pterrus wrote:This is the blind leading the blind. Don't show this to a music major they will have an aneurysm.
lol
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:56 pm

Crunchums wrote:what part of the third phrase is the * part?
D D E C
D EFE C
D EFE D C D lowG
bolded parts are where the left hand changes
my guess is it's the E? since that's where the left hand gets funky for the first time
u gotta skate

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:59 pm

Crunchums wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:51 pm
pterrus wrote:Okay I am a scrub composer but after noodling around on the piano I think the progression there is something like:

V V V * VI II

is this for the banjo version that's based around G major or the piano version that's based around C major?
what part of the third phrase is the * part? because it seems like even if you're right that it's wrong, it's only wrong for that part of the third phrase and not the whole thing?
D# F# A is for the banjo version in G. That's the chord where the piano version (in C) left hand hits the G#. But note that it doesn't fully resolve to the tonic until the 4th phrase so you're not out of the woods after that one chord. VI to II sounds right to me to finish the phrase.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:59 pm

is it just as simple as hey the left hand went up a half step so the whole thing is going to go up a half step? like the left hand goes G, G#, A which corresponds to your V * VI perfectly, so is it just V-and-a-half (lol roman numerals)?
u gotta skate

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:01 pm

Crunchums wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:59 pm is it just as simple as hey the left hand went up a half step so the whole thing is going to go up a half step? like the left hand goes G, G#, A which corresponds to your V * VI perfectly, so is it just V-and-a-half (lol roman numerals)?
I don't think it is that simple no. Give it a try, D# major sounds like shit.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:05 pm

pterrus wrote: D# F# A is for the banjo version in G. That's the chord where the piano version (in C) left hand hits the G#. But note that it doesn't fully resolve to the tonic until the 4th phrase so you're not out of the woods after that one chord. VI to II sounds right to me to finish the phrase.
ok but in terms of what notes i actually need to play the only thing where the non-melody notes in the arpeggio are going to sound wrong is that one * part, right? how would i figure out the inversions of that? the D# is doable but the F# is not (for banjo specific reasons)
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:09 pm

actually i figured out a way to do D# F# A https://vocaroo.com/1kYA4Oo4r5M5
sounds like shit to me?
u gotta skate

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:13 pm

Crunchums wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:09 pm actually i figured out a way to do D# F# A https://vocaroo.com/1kYA4Oo4r5M5
sounds like shit to me?
That sounds right to me but idk my ear isn't amazing. We need a professional. II is definitely wrong by the way, my bad.

I want to stress that this is just about the most deadass simple song ever and we are stuggling with it lol.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:15 pm

i think i can hear how it's "right", like how oh the chord changes here and now i am playing that more in line with that chord change. but i think it sounds like shit
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:22 pm

something that i question - the first note of the arpeggio is the melody / is emphasized. so i'm doing
D EFE D C D lowG ->
A BCB A G A lowD
so then how is it D# F# A if this is a triplet for the B and the A is the next melody note? shouldn't whatever chord this is have B in it?
u gotta skate

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:52 pm

I am not sure exactly what you're asking but melodies can contain notes that are not in the triad.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:03 pm

for example at the very start the melody is
B B C D D C B A...
and i'm playing
B (DG) B (DG) C (DG) D (DG) D (DG) C (DG) B (DG) A (DB)...
that's what i mean by the triplets
so then this part
A (BD) BCB (XY) A (BD) G (BD) A (BD) lowD...
the B(XY) is the * part. none of those notes are B, so how is that possibly D# F# A? the next melody note is A
u gotta skate