Moderator: Wumpy

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Re: It's Videogames

Post by Doug » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:31 pm

On the Street Fighter wiki, there's a page for each character of course

The stat block for each character on their own page has their D&D alignment lol

btw I learned from these pages that Abigail is from Canada; I didn't know until now that yes there is a Canadian Street Fighter character
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Tue May 04, 2021 10:01 pm

Distracting myself with several games at once!

Fire Emblem: Awakening - I've never like a Fire Emblem game, but I'm pretty into this one! Normal is too easy and hard is too hard, but there's a lot of depth and interesting stuff going on. The permadeath is less stressful than when I was younger and losing a character frustrated me. I may try more Fire Emblem games now, dunno.

Saga Frontier Remastered - I rented this a couple times as a kid and remember it being fascinating, frustrating, and weird as fuck. Turns out it absolutely is! The remastered bits are pretty cool, but this is like the weirdest fucking rpg I've ever played. I read the designers wanted to focus on the fun of discovery and surprises, and it definitely delivers that. Enjoying more than just a nostalgia trip! I've skimmed some guides and still don't understand a lot of the mechanics and how things work, lol. This is a big FUCK YOU game to people who didn't have GameFAQs, lol. Lots of places to get stuck, inscrutable ways to move forward, easy to miss important stuff, etc.

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Tue May 04, 2021 10:52 pm

Still Playing:

Persona 5 Royal - One of my favorite games of all time, it's so fucking good. I'm on the extra content, but can't really play my PS4 at the moment (I get video game time on the night shift and the bassinet is right next to the TV for the moment).

Bravely Default - Also really good, but I got stuck on a bit where there's this obnoxious dungeon and the nearest inn is all the way across the continent and means 5-6 random battles each way and it became super tedious going back and forth. I'll pick this back up and finish it at some point, it's really good.

Dragon Quest 11 - Harper and I slowed down on this because we've been watching Avatar: the Last Airbender which is easier when I'm feeding the babby.

Octopath Traveler - Also loved this one! The combat and job system is amazing, the story is a little weird. I beat the main stories and read up on the optional super boss, seems unlikely I'm going to put myself through all that grinding and tedium. I wish games would make these super hard bosses part of the main story? I'm intrigued by the satisfaction of achieving the right strategy and stuff, but once the story is over I don't really see the point. And because of the weird narrative, it's not like there's a cohesive, epic story the game tells you (it does kinda piece together, I guess?)

On my list:
Persona 4 Golden
SMT 3DS games
More Fire Emblem?
Ni No Kuni 2
FFXV (Mehhhh?)
Going back to Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, maybe?

Will also take good recommendations! I have several PS4 games on my wishlist and some non-rpgs that I'll get to eventually (The Last of Us, God of War, etc.)

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Tue May 04, 2021 11:22 pm

You might like Ys 8. It's got more of a story than the previous games in the series.

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Wed May 05, 2021 12:17 am

haplo wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:22 pm You might like Ys 8. It's got more of a story than the previous games in the series.
Oh, yeah! That was one I flagged for PS4, thanks for reminding me. That's another where I never got into the series but heard really good things about the recent ones.

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Mon May 10, 2021 7:10 pm

Finally finished Persona 5 Royal. Possibly my favorite game of all time? I put almost 100 hours in and the game has the balls to have a New Game+, which amazingly I'll probably do at some point. I'll probably pick up Strikers when it goes on sale or my backlog dries up.

the_zoomies
Attaboy! You finished my labyrinth and I'm proud of you!
Let's party like it's 1899

Post by the_zoomies » Tue May 11, 2021 3:13 am

Doug wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:31 pm On the Street Fighter wiki, there's a page for each character of course

btw I learned from these pages that Abigail is from Canada; I didn't know until now that yes there is a Canadian Street Fighter character
Look at this nub forgetting about crimson crawdad.

Seriously though, Rufus could be canadian

the_zoomies

Post by the_zoomies » Tue May 11, 2021 3:13 am

*Pounds on desk*

"BEAR HUGGER FOR SF6"

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue May 11, 2021 3:43 am

the_zoomies wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:13 am
Doug wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:31 pm On the Street Fighter wiki, there's a page for each character of course

Look at this nub forgetting about crimson crawdad.

Seriously though, Rufus could be canadian
No, he's American

He rides around America with his girlfriend, Candy, looking for Ken Masters
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

the_zoomies

Post by the_zoomies » Tue May 11, 2021 3:51 am

Great Ace Attorney games coming to Japanifornia.

The secret to appeasing the doyle estate was renaming the only good Holmes take in 20 years "Herlock Sholmes".

This brings up many things

1) There's a Holmes adventure game w/ Aresene Lupin and at the end, Lupin does everything but give a slobbering Beej with their effusive praise. It really deminishes the whole game (more even than making a hot air balloon out of Haggis)
2) I heard someone on a podcast say they were disappointed that the game was "so racist". The short version is that the British prosecutor has a very "privincial" perspective of the japanese. I think it's pitch perfect, frankly, but either way, an attempt to accurately portray 19th century british attitudes towards the japanese isn't racist. Right? Am I just in the wrong here?
3) Just dumping something amusing here. Capcom had a major orchestra concert in Japan w/ heavy GDS music. So the anticipation was high. Then 3 weeks later, they dump the announcement in a rando tweet. Never change Capcom.

the_zoomies

Post by the_zoomies » Tue May 11, 2021 2:42 pm

I forgot the best Phoenix Wright news, and it may be of interest to Doug.

RayRay was commentating a UMVC3 FT5

"I wanna talk about my fucking man Phoenix Wright. He's got the most loyal ho on the planet, and then he's got a man's best friend. He's just, he's just coolin... Ain't nobody with a circle like him, he never has to second guess his shit"
Followed by chat complaining about Maya/Phoenix, Missle, etc.
"Who cares about Canon, we make our own canon"

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Wed May 12, 2021 10:06 pm

i jumped back into hades for the first time post-early access. its had my pretty squarely by the balls for a bout a week or so now.

i have very mixed feelings about it. on the one hand i feel highly compelled to start new runs and enjoy myself greatly while playing for a variety of reasons. on the other hand, its not a great "game," really.

supergiant is incredible at making interactive art pieces with game elements.
with love, your good friend, seathesee

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Wed May 12, 2021 10:29 pm

seathesee wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:06 pm supergiant is incredible at making interactive art pieces with game elements.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Thu May 13, 2021 7:55 am

seathesee wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:06 pm i jumped back into hades for the first time post-early access. its had my pretty squarely by the balls for a bout a week or so now.

i have very mixed feelings about it. on the one hand i feel highly compelled to start new runs and enjoy myself greatly while playing for a variety of reasons. on the other hand, its not a great "game," really.

supergiant is incredible at making interactive art pieces with game elements.
I discovered I have a very strong aversion to meta-progression in roguelikes (getting stronger between runs). The thing I really enjoy in these games is the feeling of getting better, making it further than I did previously due to understanding a game better. That feeling is completely lost when I know that it's because I have more permanent buffs than I did last time.

Binding of Isaac and Slay the Spire are games that did meta-progression well. Runs never get easier, no matter how much shit you unlock, they just get more varied.

Shiny Days
...but history refused to change

Post by Shiny Days » Thu May 13, 2021 9:45 am

transistor was playing a soundtrack

Shiny Days

Post by Shiny Days » Thu May 13, 2021 9:46 am

i can hear. oh, i can hear.

Blissful
"I don’t believe that we will lose life or have to discard cards ourselves."
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Thu May 13, 2021 2:44 pm

I would say that slay the spire does metaprogression 'serviceably'

the difficulty ramp is a little bit too slow and granular, but i accept the reality of needing a difficulty ramp and am not going to quibble too hard on the exact slope of the curve

slay the spire keeps the metaprogression from being excessively in your face, and its doable to console it away if you dont like it

its like, fine i guess sorta, but its definitely not the part of the game im laying praise on

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Thu May 13, 2021 2:47 pm

i dont like the isaac unlocks but the item pool is certainly massive enough that you at least feel like you're always playing the game from the very beginning

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Thu May 13, 2021 2:49 pm

its good that isaac gives you a poke to go and play all the characters, and its great that you can use the shop donation machine as a bank (although it's terrible that you can hard lock an entire save file out of being able to ever do this)

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Thu May 13, 2021 2:49 pm

metaprogression should be done exclusively through cryptic oracle messages that are actually inaccurate because you're playing a modded version and they didn't bother to update the oracle

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Thu May 13, 2021 2:51 pm

Rylinks wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:49 pm metaprogression should be done exclusively through cryptic oracle messages that are actually inaccurate because you're playing a modded version and they didn't bother to update the oracle
yes.. yes!!

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Thu May 13, 2021 2:55 pm

crypt of the necrodancer is pretty close to the gold standard for metaprogression in roguelike/roguelite games imo

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Fri May 14, 2021 12:32 pm

the_zoomies wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:51 amI think it's pitch perfect, frankly, but either way, an attempt to accurately portray 19th century british attitudes towards the japanese isn't racist. Right? Am I just in the wrong here?
it's not racist to depict racism. the whole 'depiction = endorsement' thing feels a little out of hand sometimes

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Fri May 14, 2021 2:05 pm

*taking down notes* Juri racist
u gotta skate

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Fri May 14, 2021 2:10 pm

Crunchums wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:05 pm *taking down notes* Juri racist
i AM racist but only againstr the frecnch

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Fri May 14, 2021 5:02 pm

subnautica 1.5 is out, guys

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Fri May 14, 2021 5:26 pm

did they deal with the draw distance issues

those seem like they would take a lot of work to mitigate but they screw up what should be the biggest appeal of the game, the aesthetics of its environments, w/ things popping in and out of view all the time

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Fri May 14, 2021 5:40 pm

I don't even remember that being an issue in the first game... isn't there like a blur/fog shader that naturally hides everything past a certain distance anyway?

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Fri May 14, 2021 5:58 pm

haplo wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:40 pm I don't even remember that being an issue in the first game... isn't there like a blur/fog shader that naturally hides everything past a certain distance anyway?
not very well, at least as of the last time I played (which was a while ago tbf, but not during early access or anything). in any of the bigger areas objects would pop in very noticeably and it looked awful

anyway I now realise you meant an update to the sequel so eh

Wumpy
uuuuuuuuuUUUUUU
Cardboard Robot

Post by Wumpy » Fri May 14, 2021 6:48 pm

Blissful wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:10 pm
Crunchums wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:05 pm *taking down notes* Juri racist
i AM racist but only againstr the frecnch
hon hon hon HON HON HON HON