Yeah!

Shitposting, Video Games, Manga, and Anime

Moderator: Wumpy

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Re: It's Videogames

Post by Ashenai » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:29 pm

I haven't played it, but supposedly it's the worst Far Cry since 2. Far Cry 4 is supposed to be the best.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:37 pm

mostly i just don't really find single player first person shooters fun. i played a bit of single player Halo, and i enjoyed it more than this game, but after 1-2 missions I got bored. and i must have played through the campaigns for Star Wars Battlefront (1 and 2 on PS2). but multiplayer is where the fun is at
u gotta skate

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:41 pm

multiplayer rules but playing old school single player classics on the switch is also an enjoyable thing to do with the kiddos

recently finished super metroid. my son is requesting super mario world now. i cannot even remember if i beat that game but i'm sure i have long long ago

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:44 pm

my son has also been playing game builder's garage. it's like a programming tutor thing for kids, so they can make their own games

i help him read through the lessons because there's a bunch of useless text that you're better off skipping, but the lessons are pretty cool

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:14 pm

Khaos wrote:multiplayer rules but playing old school single player classics on the switch is also an enjoyable thing to do with the kiddos
oh nothing wrong with single player games in general, i was just talking about specifically when it comes to first person shooters
u gotta skate

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:15 pm

generally any shooter that tries to have cinematic elements or heavily scripted segments is bad, but otherwise they're usually ok. (new) doom, (old) prey, stalker, all pretty good

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:26 pm

I enjoyed HL2 a ton when it came out. It's no longer anything special now, but back then it was groundbreaking. I loved that none of the stages outstayed their welcome and each one had some new stuff for me to play with.

Blissful
"I don’t believe that we will lose life or have to discard cards ourselves."
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:33 am

Crunchums wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:27 pm*somehow i made the crocodile kill that dog (at least i think it was because of a button i pressed? maybe it just did it on its own)
lol

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:33 pm

its cool, when your crocodile dies it'll just spawn a good boy in it's position

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:58 pm

You know if you look at Outer Wilds as a work of science-fiction rather than a video game, it's still incredible
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

the_zoomies
Attaboy! You finished my labyrinth and I'm proud of you!
Let's party like it's 1899

Post by the_zoomies » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:52 pm

Continuing to enjoy great ace attorney.

It took my wife a bit to get into it, but they are liking it now. It's gonna be an hour every couple of days slow burn.

Put other story heavy games on hold, as I can't multi-task.

(One other note, I think they want to REPLAY DQ11. Crazy)

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:49 pm

Most of the streamers I follow are still playing Metroid Dread. I like to have twitch on the in background during the day sometimes and this makes it hard to do that without spoiling myself. I am this close to buying a switch and playing through Dread just to fix this situation.

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:06 pm

the_zoomies wrote:Continuing to enjoy great ace attorney.

It took my wife a bit to get into it, but they are liking it now. It's gonna be an hour every couple of days slow burn.

did you make it through all the endings in your first playthrough? I don't even think I made it to the final ending

the_zoomies
Attaboy! You finished my labyrinth and I'm proud of you!
Let's party like it's 1899

Post by the_zoomies » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:39 pm

haplo wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:06 pm

did you make it through all the endings in your first playthrough? I don't even think I made it to the final ending
Oh, there's only one ending for me, my friend. Only one will do.

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:18 am

Riftbreaker on hold while my eyes recover, Inscryption in the meantime since it is a very dark game

groff_enthusiast
The original good boy.
Cardboard Robot

Post by groff_enthusiast » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:02 pm

Ashenai wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:26 pm I enjoyed HL2 a ton when it came out. It's no longer anything special now, but back then it was groundbreaking. I loved that none of the stages outstayed their welcome and each one had some new stuff for me to play with.
*looks nervously at Max Payne*
Ashenai wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:08 pmoh no

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:05 am

haplo wrote:Inscryption in the meantime
ok this was pretty cool, there's actually a fun game in there in between the parts where it's being interesting

KingRamz
We are not amused.
Cardboard Robot

Post by KingRamz » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:59 pm

They can turn on some of the optional challenge modes! It's probably what I would do if I were going to replay it again

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:45 pm

I'm now playing Fantasian which is, unfortunately, only on Apple Arcade. It's created by Mistwalker, which was started by a bunch of Final Fantasy guys. Nobuo Uematsu did the score for it! It was released as a Part 1/Part 2, and I'm nearly done with Part 1, so thoughts that are subject to change:

It's really, really good! Scratches that JRPG itch in a way most things haven't in a long time. Definitely feels very classic, like a forgotten FF off-shoot game. Some of the innovations make really smart use of the touch controls, too. In combat, some attacks have different arcs and such that you can control with your finger, meaning you can wrap a magic attack around the enemy tanks and hit the whole backline or line up a piercing attack to hit an entire row of enemies. This is especially useful in the other best innovation, the "dimengion." Basically, you have random encounters as you run around, but you quickly gain access to the ability to send those encounters to a storage thing, saving them up until you want to fight or it hits capacity, then you fight all the enemies inside (say, 30). This is amazing, because it lets you skip random encounters while exploring and then those battles become massive puzzles that are more challenging than fighting them individually. It's such a great mechanic.

The bosses are pretty tough and apparently get much, much harder in Part 2, where it becomes more of an open-world puzzle strategy game. I've enjoyed the way these are challenging, as it's not really needed to grind much, but rather you have to understand the boss patterns and adjust your strategies and time things well. It's very rewarding, but we'll see how frustrating it gets later.

The worst part of the game is the exploration touch controls. They are super finicky and I still struggle at times with getting my guy to go where I want. The environments are also cool, but sometimes the aesthetic of them obscures where to go (the game uses this to hide treasure and such, which is... okay, I guess). Trying to maneuver around a small room or past traps where timing and precision is required was not the best.

The story is pretty interesting, if a bit generic. There's just enough mystery to make it feel like a unique world, not sure how it'll hold up when things open up more. I like the character designs and their respective mechanics/roles. The equipment and character growth is really stripped down with minimal customization for the first ~15 hours, but then a plot thing happens that opens up what appears to be a LOT of depth (kind of like the FFX sphere grid, but you can respec for free whenever). There are a ton of locked chests that are just impossible to open for a long time and the game does not do a good of explaining that, imo.

I'll add thoughts when I beat it, but overall it's worth the free month trial of apple arcade to play if you like JRPGs. It's a shame that this really cool, innovative game is buried as an iOS exclusive, but what can you do

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:10 am

I played 2 hours of Metroid Dread and I think we need a new name of the Metroidvania genre, because Metroid is absolute garbage along with Ori. It's an on-rails platformer and occasionally you spam infinite missiles at something for a few seconds. Secrets? Basically none, at best you get +2 rockets that are clearly visible from the main path behind a destructible wall. Exploration? No, the game doesn't let you go anywhere besides the one predetermined path. There's a lot of smoke and mirrors to make it look like a giant interconnected level where you unlock new things as you gain items, but they're all purposely laid out so that you can only go a single way and never get lost. Fun? No, at best you spam your infinite rockets at something for a few seconds and go on with your life. EMMI segments? dogshit blind platforming

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:15 am

let this be the last time I'm fooled into purchasing a game developed by nintendo

Luna
...but history refused to change
...but history refused to change

Post by Luna » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:28 am

it kinda sounds like you're describing mega man, which is like an excellent game

well, depending on which megaman

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:32 am

Every time I think, oh hey I should play a Mega Man game, for the nostalgia, after 10 minutes I'm over it

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:53 am

Luna wrote:it kinda sounds like you're describing mega man, which is like an excellent game

well, depending on which megaman
yes, similar I think. I suspect the same people like both

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:49 am

It's funny because I saw an article from a guy raging that he got stuck and didn't know where to go and they should have followed "modern game design" practices to avoid this. So that guy was probably an idiot.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:59 pm

What are the modern game design practices

Microtransactions?

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:19 pm

everything haplo said is correct. but i still enjoy it. you just need to be aware it's a megaman game

also the emmi blind platforming part is my favorite part! you gotta think on your feet

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:21 pm

pterrus wrote:It's funny because I saw an article from a guy raging that he got stuck and didn't know where to go and they should have followed "modern game design" practices to avoid this. So that guy was probably an idiot.
it's laid out well but it's also not super obvious. i could see someone getting to a dead-end without realizing a certain wall was destructible or whatever and then just losing track of where they needed to go next

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:22 pm

Doug wrote:Every time I think, oh hey I should play a Mega Man game, for the nostalgia, after 10 minutes I'm over it
play megaman x

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:24 pm

has there ever been a good 3d metroidvania game