Yeah!

Shitposting, Video Games, Manga, and Anime

Moderator: Wumpy

Still Alive
Cardboard Rima
Let's party like it's 1899

Re: It's Videogames

Post by Still Alive » Tue May 26, 2020 10:27 am

Ashenai wrote:Started playing Battletech (and ranting about it to a long-suffering Juri on Discord)!
are you in robot?

https://discord.gg/2NHUfX

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue May 26, 2020 11:13 am

I am now!

Juri
We're Knights of the Round Table
We attack each turn if able
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Tue May 26, 2020 11:42 am

Ashenai wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:19 am Started playing Battletech (and ranting about it to a long-suffering Juri on Discord)! It's a fun game! Turn-based strategy is a good fit for lumbering, durable war machines.

It's actually a lot like XCOM, but the whole randomness thing that I think is a fatal flaw in XCOM is mostly fixed by a lot of Battletech's design. First of all, there's the whole "durable" thing, and the fact that you often make 10+ attack rolls when unloading your full complement of weapons on a target. Who cares if you miss an 85% shot? You get like 6 more of them in the same salvo! Who cares if your attack that should have killed, didn't? The enemy gets to shoot back at you, sure, but that's what armor plating is for. Plus, weakening an enemy in this game actually weakens them (disabling weapons systems or heatsinks, destabilizing the mech, etc.) Good tactics are rewarded more, and back luck isn't punished as much.
i just destroy all the cover in xcom then take 100% shots
also using the psion abilities that don't have a DC involved

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue May 26, 2020 3:19 pm

Still Alive wrote:
haplo wrote:anyone try monster train?
so it's a rogue like deck building game ... on a train. i can def appreciate the audacity here
how is it different from Slay the Spire?
u gotta skate

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Tue May 26, 2020 3:21 pm

it's horizontal rather than vertical

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue May 26, 2020 3:50 pm

lol
u gotta skate

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Tue May 26, 2020 4:16 pm

I don't know much about it other than it seems to be getting pretty popular

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Tue May 26, 2020 4:25 pm

monster train is a very good game and the best slay-the-spire-like thats been released since...well, slay the spire (at least that ive tried/followed, and i feel moderately qualified to make that judgment). it has a lot in common with slay the spire, differentiates itself enough from slay the spire to be much more than a slay the spire mod, and improves upon some of the stuff that slay the spire tries to do itself, including the multiplayer-ish aspects.

monster train is more of a hybrid card battler than slay the spire, and i think would best be described as slay the spire x darkest dungeon x plants vs. zombies. it has creatures, unlike slay the spire. these creatures engage in combat on a horizontal field in a front to back manner kind of like darkest dungeon. you are protecting your "pyre" (base) from monsters advancing towards it over the course of a 4 story building (monsters go up a floor each phase and carry over damage you deal to them).

id say the game is more fun then slay the spire (though this could be a novelty based opinion), but it is less of a good game. i think its easier to put broken combos together in monster train and there are fewer decisions. it feels easier once you get over the hump, but im only playing on covenant (ascension) 10 (of 25) right now.

if you like slay the spire a lot and rogue likes (lites) in general, you will not be disappointed if you give it a fair shake. be aware that the two most interesting clans (colors/classes) are unlocked last, and it took me about 10 hours to get both of them--the last one in particular boasts some truly great and enjoyable design. don't let the awful name/marketing graphics dissuade you.

as a side note. i was convinced to try this out on release day by watching about 20 mins of a dev stream. during the course of that stream i had a very face palm "what is this world i am living in now" moment. on the stream, one of the people in chat asked why they named the game "monster train" (with the implication that it is a terrible name). the dev talked about how hard it is to find a name for a game, how there are a lot of weird considerations, and how a ton of names are just straight up taken already. he noted that he really liked the name "hell hand" for a while (the theming of the game is angels vs. demons). he noted, however, that acronym for "hell hand" is hh, and, well, you cant have a name with that acronym anymore.
with love, your good friend, seathesee

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue May 26, 2020 4:26 pm

Hi C
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Tue May 26, 2020 4:28 pm

hey doug, sorry i left root before the game finished. i thought it was dead at the time, though. i might hop on and give planet apocalypse a run at some point.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue May 26, 2020 4:30 pm

seathesee wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:28 pm hey doug, sorry i left root before the game finished. i thought it was dead at the time, though. i might hop on and give planet apocalypse a run at some point.
You should! Also there are a lot of other games we could run

Did you see Stocks and Bonds? It takes like no effort to play lol

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Tue May 26, 2020 4:32 pm

you could take over for Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos. or if you're really up for a challenge, Sock under Mattress

Skeletor
How'd you know that loving kittens is my one defining trait?
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Tue May 26, 2020 5:13 pm

seathesee wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:25 pm monster train is a very good game and the best slay-the-spire-like thats been released since...well, slay the spire (at least that ive tried/followed, and i feel moderately qualified to make that judgment). it has a lot in common with slay the spire, differentiates itself enough from slay the spire to be much more than a slay the spire mod, and improves upon some of the stuff that slay the spire tries to do itself, including the multiplayer-ish aspects.

monster train is more of a hybrid card battler than slay the spire, and i think would best be described as slay the spire x darkest dungeon x plants vs. zombies. it has creatures, unlike slay the spire. these creatures engage in combat on a horizontal field in a front to back manner kind of like darkest dungeon. you are protecting your "pyre" (base) from monsters advancing towards it over the course of a 4 story building (monsters go up a floor each phase and carry over damage you deal to them).

id say the game is more fun then slay the spire (though this could be a novelty based opinion), but it is less of a good game. i think its easier to put broken combos together in monster train and there are fewer decisions. it feels easier once you get over the hump, but im only playing on covenant (ascension) 10 (of 25) right now.

if you like slay the spire a lot and rogue likes (lites) in general, you will not be disappointed if you give it a fair shake. be aware that the two most interesting clans (colors/classes) are unlocked last, and it took me about 10 hours to get both of them--the last one in particular boasts some truly great and enjoyable design. don't let the awful name/marketing graphics dissuade you.

as a side note. i was convinced to try this out on release day by watching about 20 mins of a dev stream. during the course of that stream i had a very face palm "what is this world i am living in now" moment. on the stream, one of the people in chat asked why they named the game "monster train" (with the implication that it is a terrible name). the dev talked about how hard it is to find a name for a game, how there are a lot of weird considerations, and how a ton of names are just straight up taken already. he noted that he really liked the name "hell hand" for a while (the theming of the game is angels vs. demons). he noted, however, that acronym for "hell hand" is hh, and, well, you cant have a name with that acronym anymore.
Can confirm. Naming things is really hard

I'm really excited for Monster Train but haven't tried it yet. It's downloaded and awaiting me
wow, [you]. that all sounds terrible. i hope it gets better for you

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Tue May 26, 2020 5:36 pm

I came to this thread with the intent to request that someone sell me on Monster Train, and then there's sea, back from the war, way ahead of me. :loverobot:

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Tue May 26, 2020 8:01 pm

seathesee wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:25 pmas a side note. i was convinced to try this out on release day by watching about 20 mins of a dev stream. during the course of that stream i had a very face palm "what is this world i am living in now" moment. on the stream, one of the people in chat asked why they named the game "monster train" (with the implication that it is a terrible name). the dev talked about how hard it is to find a name for a game, how there are a lot of weird considerations, and how a ton of names are just straight up taken already. he noted that he really liked the name "hell hand" for a while (the theming of the game is angels vs. demons). he noted, however, that acronym for "hell hand" is hh, and, well, you cant have a name with that acronym anymore.
Hulk Hogan, brother

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Tue May 26, 2020 8:04 pm

He's wrong about that, but Hell Hand wasn't a good name anyway, so no big loss.

I do think the title of the game about 'riding a train into hell' could have stood to have 'hell' in it somewhere in the name though

Still Alive
Cardboard Rima
Let's party like it's 1899

Post by Still Alive » Tue May 26, 2020 8:17 pm

we can spitball it:

Next stop, Hell

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Tue May 26, 2020 8:30 pm

that's good

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Tue May 26, 2020 8:49 pm

good intentions rail company

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Wed May 27, 2020 8:45 am

Juri wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:04 pm He's wrong about that, but Hell Hand wasn't a good name anyway, so no big loss.

Grakthis
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Grakthis » Wed May 27, 2020 11:52 am

Minecraft Dungeons with my two oldest kids is fun!
:grakiswrong:

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Wed May 27, 2020 7:31 pm

haplo wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:24 pm I wasn't really sold on Griftlands my first hour, but after finishing a run I think it's pretty good. It won't have as much replayability as Slay the Spire but I could see doing a couple runs per character. It has the ascension mode thing so I guess that is some encouragement to keep trying - it wasn't super hard to win (I died on the final boss, but it let me retry one time and then I won).
i picked this up at the start of the lockdown, because it was five bucks with a 10 dollar coupon i had that was expiring (you guys got me). i feel more or less the same way. it didnt really get its hooks in me like sts did, or monster train has since. i kept stopping mid-run, but would say i enjoyed the runs. the two character in there now have some interesting design choices and are definitely different enough to feel like you need to play both to get the full experience.

i kind of really dislike the art, though, which is frankly unusual. usually i find myself being sold an empty shell based on the art. the ui also feels unnecessarily complicated and busy in the verbal or argument mode or whatever its called, but im not sure that can really be fixed just given the nature of it. maybe the final form of the graphics and getting enough repetition to memorize things will remedy that. the roadmap also feels not ambitious enough, and like there may not be enough there there. this is definitely the most story driven roguelite deck builder ive ever played, and so much energy was put into that and its great, but that energy seems a little wasted on a genre that wants you playing 2 or 3 digits worth of runs--im not going to be reading the story past the second or third time.

it absolutely has potential and will be worth the five bucks i spent on full release. seems like it will be worse than whats out there for most fans of the genre, though.

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Wed May 27, 2020 7:40 pm

Juri wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:04 pm He's wrong about that
is he? i mean, i would not even have picked up on it without someone pointing it out, but it had obviously come up in one of their brainstorming sessions or whatever. i could totally see it generating at least some twitter outrage.
but Hell Hand wasn't a good name anyway, so no big loss.
monster train is pretty heckin bad. it sounds like a chinese pokemon clone for phones.

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Wed May 27, 2020 7:43 pm

Fury Rail

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Wed May 27, 2020 7:52 pm

devil rayle

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Wed May 27, 2020 7:54 pm

demon engine
inferno express

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Wed May 27, 2020 7:54 pm

these are probably acdc songs, though

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Thu May 28, 2020 11:43 am

I need a mod that replaces the frequently seen unlock confirmation button from "Hell Yeah" to "Hell Yeah Brother, Cheers from Iraq".

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Thu May 28, 2020 11:52 am

Oh cool, it's a train themed game. Surely the action progresses horizontally from car to car, right? Nope, they go up. The train is basically one really tall car. I understand the UI is probably better this way and it's probably a cursed problem, but c'mon man you coulda called it Monster Tower or something.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu May 28, 2020 11:54 am

Richard Scarry's The Tall, Busy Train