Shitposting, Video Games, Manga, and Anime

Moderator: Wumpy

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Re: It's Videogames

Post by haplo » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:29 pm

Ashenai wrote:
pterrus wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:52 pm If they were pretty girls then sure, guys are simps and stuff. But these are just dudes...

e: that was at crunch and rylinks
my favorite video game streamers are an even split between guys and women. I'm looking for genuine reactions and clever commentary, not really interested in what's in their pants

also, aren't the most popular streamers all guys? I think you're wrong about what people like about game streamers
I would expect girls to get higher donations on average from less viewers than men, but since we don't have data for streamlabs we'll never know.

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:31 pm

over half the people I follow are music streamers though so what do I know either, people just donate to them because they want song requests

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:03 pm

wait music streamers? i thought that was against the ToS
https://www.twitch.tv/p/en/legal/commun ... ic-content
ok but i just searched the music category and looked at the things with the most viewers and most of them seem like they are violating that so uh ??
(unless all these singers and djs are singing and turntabling ONLY their own songs; seems implausible)
u gotta skate

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:05 pm

Crunchums wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:03 pm wait music streamers? i thought that was against the ToS
ok but i just searched the music category and looked at the things with the most viewers and most of them seem like they are violating that so uh ??
(unless all these singers and djs are singing and turntabling ONLY their own songs; seems implausible)
If you violate these guidelines, you may be subject to a takedown notification from music rights holders under our DMCA Guidelines
i doubt twitch cares unless they get a DMCA request

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:06 pm

Crunchums wrote:wait music streamers? i thought that was against the ToS
you are allowed to cover songs in a live performance, but you cannot have VODs of that performance. I believe the same thing is true for streamers just playing the actual music in their stream, as long as they don't keep VODs

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:07 pm

Rylinks wrote:i doubt twitch cares unless they get a DMCA request
https://www.google.com/search?q=twitch+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
haplo wrote:you are allowed to cover songs in a live performance, but you cannot have VODs of that performance
oh; neat
u gotta skate

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:10 pm

I suspect there's some line where it's considered transformative and that's OK, I'm not too sure of all the details. ortopilot, who is imo the best musician on twitch, seems to have a couple vods from the past couple days but none after that, I'm guessing he just deletes them once a week or something

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:17 pm

haplo wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:06 pm
Crunchums wrote:wait music streamers? i thought that was against the ToS
you are allowed to cover songs in a live performance, but you cannot have VODs of that performance. I believe the same thing is true for streamers just playing the actual music in their stream, as long as they don't keep VODs
this is true because no one is filing DMCA claims for live streams, not because of law or twitch policy

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:18 pm

the twitch policy says very clearly that it applies to both streams and vods

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:33 pm

Rylinks wrote:the twitch policy says very clearly that it applies to both streams and vods
except for live covers
Cover Song Performance – Performance of a song owned by someone else, with the exception of a live performance in your Twitch stream. If you do perform a cover song in a live Twitch stream, please make a good faith effort to perform the song as written by the songwriter, and create all audio elements yourself, without incorporating instrumental tracks, music recordings, or any other recorded elements owned by others.

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:34 pm

unless you were talking about the second half of what I wrote, which you are probably right about

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:56 pm

If you do perform a cover song in a live Twitch stream, please make a good faith effort to perform the song as written by the songwriter
so if i perform a cover of a song but change it too much then that's a copywrite problem? :lol:
u gotta skate

Luna
...but history refused to change

Post by Luna » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:10 am

pterrus wrote:Yeah if the twitch leak taught me anything it's that I know absolutely nothing about twitch or what people like to watch. I will turn into a corncob now.
the person earning the most money on youtube is a nine year old unboxing toys

edit - oh and a six year old is in the top but she's only at a paltry eighteen million

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:18 am

finally getting around to outer wilds now and:
1. I hate the sticky goo that old ps3 controllers secrete if you don't use them for a few months
2. I'm getting a ton of screen tearing and I have no idea why, capped framerate at 60fps on my 4k/60hz TV which I thought would have solved this, might try 1080p and see if it's any better. I definitely played it on this TV before

Luna

Post by Luna » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:28 am

haplo wrote:1. I hate the sticky goo that old ps3 controllers secrete if you don't use them for a few months
what the fuck

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:31 am

Luna wrote:
haplo wrote:1. I hate the sticky goo that old ps3 controllers secrete if you don't use them for a few months
what the fuck
yeah have you not seen this? https://www.reddit.com/r/whatisthisthin ... s_been_in/ they fixed it on the ps4 and ps5

in screen tearing news, I got it working but had to enable vsync for some reason :shrug:

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:10 am

echoes DLC thoughts so far after a few hours
Spoiler!
1. I accidentally ran my spaceship into the satellite the first time and it broke, whoops. Had to go back a second time. Kind of cool feature though.
2. Flying "into" the black sun and "teleporting" to the stranger was awesome, although I'm curious if it's possible to accidentally run into the ship and how likely that would be in a regular first-time playthrough
3. So many parts of the ship are really cool and interesting, just like each of the planets. The dam breaking the first time was great. I was in the 2nd tower's dream place when it tipped over and the whole dream world started tipping too until it kicked me out
4. The time loop sucks. The ship is too big for 22 minute cycles. I think they should have come up with some reason to slow the flow of time on-board. They already have a way to quickly advance time so you're not screwed waiting forever like you were for ash twins. The dam breaking halfway through just adds to the annoyingness. I'm having a real hard time exploring the dream worlds because they keep getting flooded super early and it's so dark in there I have to go super slow.
5. I think it would be really bad for a first-time player to even have the DLC installed before they beat the game. It's designed so that you keep going back there and only there, whereas one of the great parts of the original game is always going somewhere new on each cycle. You could easily get stuck in here for hours and not make any meaningful progress and I think that would turn a lot of people off.
6. Overall I think it's pretty good so far, I'm enjoying it.

Blissful
"I don’t believe that we will lose life or have to discard cards ourselves."
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:36 pm

haplo wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:10 amYou could easily get stuck in here for hours and not make any meaningful progress
well, the solution to this is to go somewhere else. every time you finish a loop inside the stranger it's because you chose to fly all the way back there!

I do agree that the open-ended nature of the solar system was part of the beauty of the base game and something the DLC hasn't quite managed to retain. there are at least a few different 'avenues' you're able to pursue within the confines of the DLC, but I really loved how in the base game i could get distracted by whatever shiny object crossed my vision and still manage to end up feeling like i discovered some new cool thing from doing so

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:19 pm

Blissful wrote:
haplo wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:10 amYou could easily get stuck in here for hours and not make any meaningful progress
well, the solution to this is to go somewhere else. every time you finish a loop inside the stranger it's because you chose to fly all the way back there!

I do agree that the open-ended nature of the solar system was part of the beauty of the base game and something the DLC hasn't quite managed to retain. there are at least a few different 'avenues' you're able to pursue within the confines of the DLC, but I really loved how in the base game i could get distracted by whatever shiny object crossed my vision and still manage to end up feeling like i discovered some new cool thing from doing so
I think part of what I was trying to say is that if you spend an hour on a planet, you'll learn something new that will send you to another planet. But if you spend 4 hours in the DLC the only thing you'll learn is to go back to the DLC. And I guess this makes sense, because the base game hasn't changed at all so of course the DLC can't be required or have extra information relevant to the base game. It's not "wrong" I guess, but it feels weird. I guess I'd have to hear the thoughts of someone playing it for the first time and see if they felt like they got "stuck" in stranger loops until they finished it.
anyway I think I kind of said something similar to you now that I reread it

the_zoomies
Attaboy! You finished my labyrinth and I'm proud of you!
Let's party like it's 1899

Post by the_zoomies » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:55 pm

Luna wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:28 am
what the fuck

Blissful
"I don’t believe that we will lose life or have to discard cards ourselves."
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:18 pm

haplo wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:18 am1. I hate the sticky goo that old ps3 controllers secrete if you don't use them for a few months
this happened to me also
it sucks!!

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:07 am

ok I finished it, overall pretty good. I actually had to look at a walkthrough to make sure I was done because I wasn't really sure
not really a fan of the whole stealth thing but the "glitches" kind of make up for it with how cool they were. I wonder how many people accidentally find the artifact glitch

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:55 pm

u gotta skate

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:14 pm

"The first rule is to recognize whether it’s fun. If it’s not, throw it out and start over." — Hidetaka Miyazaki, on adopting dogs

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:56 pm

“Yeah, yeah, you really think I haven’t heard that before? Practically everyone I meet points it out to me!” — Nintendo of America President Doug Bowser, on the glaring inconsistencies in the testimony used to convict Sirhan Sirhan
u gotta skate

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:53 pm

haplo wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:07 am ok I finished it, overall pretty good. I actually had to look at a walkthrough to make sure I was done because I wasn't really sure
not really a fan of the whole stealth thing but the "glitches" kind of make up for it with how cool they were. I wonder how many people accidentally find the artifact glitch
I just saw a guy accidentally find it on a stream
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:29 am

also I don't know what that ship is called stanford torus? but it wasn't actually a torus it was just a ring... or more like a really short cylinder but wow, I don't think I've ever seen anything like that in a game with physics. really impressive technical achievement, especially for unity

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:24 am

Spoiler!
O'Neil Cylinder

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:20 pm

One of the things we did this weekend was multiplayer Outer Wilds -- three dudes who had never played before, your turn lasts until you die. Peanut gallery behavior is encouraged. I wish we had recorded it, it was amazing

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:27 pm

when I got my last laptop it came with a code for Far Cry 6
that was almost a year ago, but the game only came out recently

i figured it would probably not be fun, but hey might as well try the free thing
it was a lot of work to get working (make like 3 accounts and install like 4 things and some troubleshooting, e.g.
for some reason i had to ipconfig /flushdns for things to work, and i had to google how to get this warning off my screen
Spoiler!
) but i got there eventually

but yeah it's not really fun, like at all
AAA games can be the most ridiculous thing ever. crazy-good (to me at least) graphics, the self-importance of a blockbuster movie, gritty violence and story... how about the gameplay?
ok well first a long cut scene. then gameplay where all you do is move through a linear environment and learn the controls and the only task is to not go too fast so you can wait for enemies to walk away. then another long cut scene where in the middle there's "[studio] presents... Far Cry 6". finally get a gun and some actual gameplay!
hey you know that gritty realism? well also you have an crocodile who follows you around as a combat companion
i died trying to do a combat mission and then stopped playing. i'm sure i could spend more time and figure out how to get good at taking out all the enemies at this radio tower, but i don't think i would actually have fun doing it

favorite parts:
*riding a horse (on the way to the combat mission). aww yiss
*there was a dog that you could pet and i pet it
least favorite part:
*somehow i made the crocodile kill that dog (at least i think it was because of a button i pressed? maybe it just did it on its own)

in hindsight i should have given the code to someone who would actually enjoy playing the game, but my thought back when i found out that it was a thing was oh a free thing might as well claim it, so oh well
u gotta skate