Moderator: Wumpy

Still Alive
Cardboard Rima
Let's party like it's 1899

Re: It's Videogames

Post by Still Alive » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:02 am

rianalnn wrote:
pterrus wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:37 pm
rianalnn wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:24 am Celeste with good graphics! I may check it out. Is it visceral like HK? Sometimes I have to turn the sound off because I am immersed too deeply.
Okay so I'm playing Ori 1 and it's pretty bad. The controls feel loose and the level design is bad. Hollow Knight and Celeste both eat its lunch imo.
Nice, we will dodge. Thanks for the heads up :hfive:
wait, no

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:57 am

ori 2 is better than ori 1 so far, but i liked ori 1 soo

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:35 am

Bad is maybe an exaggeration,, but it definitely feels off. I don't think I've ever abandoned a platformer before because the controls were bad but I have considered it a few times here. I don't want to get into it in depth but there are just some bad fundamental game feel decisions here. See this video for an idea of what I mean. Small character is one thing they got right at least.

And the graphics are pretty and stuff but they're simply not functional. It's frequently hard to tell from just looking at the environment how you can interact with it. There are many areas where the floor is spiky but due to shit in the foreground or something you don't even see it and you just walk right into it and die. And there have been a few times where I tried to jump on something only to realize that it's actually in the background. I think it's possible to make a game in this style work but you have to be more careful and deliberate with the level design than they were.

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:23 am

had an awkward conversation with Jack about why we couldn't get a copy of Outside and how the whole kayfabe of TierZoo works
"Ireland’s Ireland and Scotland’s Scotland anyone who thinks different is a cunt" - Liam Gallagher

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:26 am

the new "The Talk"

KingRamz
We are not amused.
Cardboard Robot

Post by KingRamz » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:19 pm

I abandoned Celeste, though I wouldn't say it was because the controls were bad. I just found it stressful. Maybe I could've adjusted the difficulty, but eh

Fry Guy
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Fry Guy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:49 pm

Faceless wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:23 am had an awkward conversation with Jack about why we couldn't get a copy of Outside and how the whole kayfabe of TierZoo works
That's so cute and amazing at the same time.

Skeletor
How'd you know that loving kittens is my one defining trait?
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:28 am

Can a 4yo play Overcooked 2? I'm looking into multiplayer switch games beyond Mario Kart. Hopefully coop so I'm not bored to tears
wow, [you]. that all sounds terrible. i hope it gets better for you

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:25 am

Uh... maybe? Probably not. There's a lot of frantic sequencing involved, and the game does not encourage taking your time. When I was playing with buddies, we were yelling the whole time, because that's the kind of game it is. If you mess up the sequencing or forget about something then your food gets ruined or your kitchen catches fire. All that is great and part of the game, and mitigating the damage is just a new fun and frantic effort, but it seems like it would be overwhelming for a 4yo.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:28 am

"Get out of my way idiot I need to get this steak dinner out" "YOU GET OUT OF THE WAY MORON I'M TRYING TO GET TO THE FIRE EXTINGUISHER" was, like, a typical exchange. All in good fun, and we were laughing the whole time, but it's a game about a cramped, chaotic-ass kitchen with disasters occurring constantly and everyone getting in each other's way.

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:30 am

Pokemon Go has a new meta and it's hilariously broken.

So, competitive battles are structured in sets of five. You queue for ranked battles against five different players and then at the end of it your Elo is updated based on those results and you get increasing rewards from each win. It plays a bit like a 32 man swiss tournament prize structure - one win and two wins gives you relatively minor stuff, three is pretty valuable and a good one to hit consistently, four wins is a pokemon encounter (with a high chance of it being a valuable legendary) which is the big one people want and then five wins gets you a big stardust payout. This prize structure has the rather obvious side effect that people want to game the matchmaker and so smurfing is pretty common. Playing legitimately you'd get a spread of like 1-4, 2-3, 2-3, 3-2, 3-2, 4-1 for one pokemon encounter a day but if you derank a bunch then instead you can go 0-5, 0-5, 4-1, 4-1, 4-1 consistently for three encounters a day instead.

Where the new meta comes in is with their new mechanic. If you lose all five games you can continue queueing for battles within that set until you hit either 1 win or 15 losses. I believe this is ostensibly a casual friendly mechanic, where non-competitive players who are struggling can go like 1-7 and still get to actually win a game sort of thing. It's also of some value when coronavirus is over and we go back to having to track 3km of walking for each battle set. What should be immediately obvious as a side effect of this is that this makes it significantly easier to panzer your rating since you can now lose 75 games a day instead of 25, and once at a stable smurf rank you can throw one set and stomp the other four, rather than two and three respectively. The punchline to all of this is that there's now a competitive meta of being able to surrender matches because when you get paired with another thrower and they surrender before you do that'll "cost" you like ten losses when you go 1-4 (or 1-7 or whatever) instead of 0-15.
"Ireland’s Ireland and Scotland’s Scotland anyone who thinks different is a cunt" - Liam Gallagher

Skeletor
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:00 pm

I can't win battles in master league so I'm quite happy that I'm panzering my rating more quickly while legitimately trying to win

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:51 pm

Master League is the worst

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:03 pm

i'm at a part in ori 2 where the world opens up and i can go to several different places. but i got to the end of one area, and then there was a door blocking me, so i beat the second area, and now im stuck in the 3rd area. am i stuck because i am bad or do i just need to go to the 4th area. is the world not really open?

maybe i'll just check a walkthrough or something

KingRamz
We are not amused.
Cardboard Robot

Post by KingRamz » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:37 pm

Skeletor wrote:Can a 4yo play Overcooked 2? I'm looking into multiplayer switch games beyond Mario Kart. Hopefully coop so I'm not bored to tears
Have you tried Smash? It's pretty friendly to button-mashing if you're careful about which stages you pick. You can play vs. computer players and make them super wimpy.

Animal Crossing also has a simultaneous coop mode that isn't super deep but might be enjoyable enough for a 4yo as the second player. She can go around whacking trees for wood and attempting to catch bugs or whatever.

Skeletor
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:41 pm

KingRamz wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:37 pm
Skeletor wrote:Can a 4yo play Overcooked 2? I'm looking into multiplayer switch games beyond Mario Kart. Hopefully coop so I'm not bored to tears
Have you tried Smash? It's pretty friendly to button-mashing if you're careful about which stages you pick. You can play vs. computer players and make them super wimpy.

Animal Crossing also has a simultaneous coop mode that isn't super deep but might be enjoyable enough for a 4yo as the second player. She can go around whacking trees for wood and attempting to catch bugs or whatever.
Unfortunately I don't seem to like Animal Crossing

Hadn't thought about Smash teams vs bot

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:57 pm

Jack's been playing Minecraft since at least 4, and that works alright as a co-op game.

Sonic Mania is pretty good as a co-op game because player 2 can die as much as they want to no consequence, meaning that player 1 is functionally the one completing the levels but the child playing in P2 still gets to "play".

Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee hits a similar note.

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:46 am

Burnout Paradise Remastered was on sale for $5

Burnout Paradise is 12 years old! But it's fun still
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:00 am

I played 3 rounds of TFT and I've concluded that Kayle is broken. My strategy is to buy her every game, and I keep winning.

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:08 pm

this video is fun because he very briefly sold me on hearthstone before explaining in great detail why it's awful

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:09 pm

the TL;DW is that they added a fun game mode and then monetised the everloving fuck out of it

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:40 pm

you don't have to pay to do well at battlegrounds, and you can put that video in the trash since it seems to be claiming that you do

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:44 pm

fortunately he didn't claim you have to pay "to do well" he claimed that you have to pay to select from four heroes instead of two at the start of each game

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:54 pm

I mean, that's true but isn't really worth an 11 minute video rant

Still Alive
Cardboard Rima

Post by Still Alive » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:55 pm

you don't get any money if you go under ten minutes

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:56 pm

Still Alive wrote:you don't get any money if you go under ten minutes
already got my 10:01 video about riotthe chinese government stealing your personal credit cards through anti cheat queued up

Still Alive
Cardboard Rima

Post by Still Alive » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:00 am

haplo wrote:already got my 10:01 video about riotthe chinese government stealing your personal credit cards through anti cheat queued up
i think a ten minute one second video on scumming twitch numbers might be better. great timing, though, and holy shit, the numbers streamers must be making. my god

Still Alive
Cardboard Rima

Post by Still Alive » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:02 am

i def understand people thinking things are overblown or that companies are still inherently good, but, man, why do things have to be so terrible? why do these companies hate us so much? because they can get away with i guess

catonkeyboard
Attaboy! You finished my labyrinth and I'm proud of you!

Post by catonkeyboard » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:05 am

Faceless wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:47 pm it's fun seeing jack learning about american culture; he's just learned some facts about the "eyewoo jimmy memorial"
This post was a whirlwind of comedy and emotion. Someone really needs to name their kid Juice.
27/50 states of cats on keyboards
|X,,,,X,,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,,,,X,,X,X,X,X,X,,,,X,,X,,X,,,X,,X,X,X,,X,,X,X,,,,,X,|

catonkeyboard
Attaboy! You finished my labyrinth and I'm proud of you!

Post by catonkeyboard » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:07 am

(which, on topically enough, led me to contemplate naming a child Juri. Which led to this item on wikipedia: Juri's character concept was created from a suggestion by Yoshinori Ono to introduce a female Korean character into the Street Fighter series, with the initial design selected from 400-500 ideas, amongst which included an old woman and an ice skater)

What a magical world.
27/50 states of cats on keyboards
|X,,,,X,,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,,,,X,,X,X,X,X,X,,,,X,,X,,X,,,X,,X,X,X,,X,,X,X,,,,,X,|