http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Re: It's Videogames

Post by Rylinks » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:24 pm

Ashenai wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:23 pm It's full of ruins and stuff, which in turn are full of monsters and half-buried but buff guardian robots, some of which are able to wake up and homing missile the shit out of everything that comes close.
yeah i mean just don't get close to the guardian robots seems easy to me where's my farmstead

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:38 pm

am i the only one wanting to harvest the guardian robot homing missiles as a source of free energy

Shiny Days
...but history refused to change

Post by Shiny Days » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:16 pm

Khaos wrote:am i the only one wanting to harvest the guardian robot homing missiles as a source of free energy
engineers

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:18 pm

Giant piezoelectric shields let's do this

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:57 am

I'm planting rice
Spoiler!
planting.jpg
planting.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 607 times

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:58 am

are you having fun?
u gotta skate

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:40 am

Crunchums wrote:are you having fun?
I think so, but who can really say for sure

Starprintsky
Adding Machine
Adding Machine

Post by Starprintsky » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:28 am

Ashenai wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:15 pm But it's fun here, because it plays to GI's strengths. It's fun to move around in the world! This fragment is halfway up an overhanging cliff. This other one is coiled in tree roots. Scavenger hunts are fun when they're an excuse to explore, and the exploration is fun, and that's what GI achieves.
I could believe that! This is where a lot of the buzz for Breath of the Wild came from too, right? The free movement, the terrain you actually directly and meaningfully interact with. I'm not making any calls on that part because I haven't played GI, but that part isn't aesthetics.
I've never played Ragnarok, but that screenshot does not make me want to! Because it's showing a basic, level maze layout. Who wants to explore that?
Is this a comment on the game's movement being essentially in 2D? Or the fact that the random screenshot I showed had a clear set of interlocking paths instead of being open space? Are you going to say the cave parts of GI aren't interesting to explore because they reduce to a "basic, level maze layout" (??)
With GI, you see a huge tree in the distance, and you're curious, what's up with it? You see an eerie glow at night. You see a house that looks like a conch shell. This is how the aesthetics make you want to play!
This is the only part of your post that's actually about aesthetics, and nothing you describe here sounds at all novel to GI, or aesthetically novel at all.

Like before the somewhat nicer screenshots were shared in your later post you guys were talking about
Spoiler!
image and telling me just how beautiful and uniquely amazing it is and I'm over here having played an MMO where one of the towns looked like
Spoiler!
about what, six years ago?

You could call that stylistically OTT for sure, and that's almost surely the visually "loudest" zone in the game, I couldn't fault anyone for that opinion. You're not going to convince me though that the top image there is more visually distinct, or somehow an example of unique aesthetics that compel exploration like few games before them ever have, though. I'm still boggling at that.

Haplo's farm game screenshot there looks prettier than GI. Like look how much more lush it looks! The what appears to be hills in the distance aren't just lifeless sheets of low-poly-enough-for-mobile grey!

Shiny Days

Post by Shiny Days » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:34 am

eyes narrowing

i know why you played that mmo

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:38 am

I don't know if anything will ever top Xenoblade X for me in terms of how cool the world is. That's a game that makes you want to explore everything.

Starprintsky
Adding Machine
Adding Machine

Post by Starprintsky » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:57 am

Shiny Days wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:34 am eyes narrowing

i know why you played that mmo
There were a few games we all followed this girl around through. I can't remember if PSO1 and PSO2 came before or after. It was pretty interesting because one of the three of us was the stereotypical "dropping hints that he likes her at least once a day but acting like there's no way she could ever have noticed" and telling me in yahoo messenger that one of these days he's gonna work up the courage to confess to her, and then the other I like to imagine was also secretly obsessed with her because he always took all these potshots at me and like, of course that must have been because I was better friends with her and viewed as a rival even though I was taken IRL. She did have amazing taste in games though, put me onto the Atelier series, Etrian Odyssey... I never did try Fire Emblem but I bet I woulda liked it.

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:38 pm

I actually have a really good campaign going in LWOTC right now. Twelfth earth might finally be the earth to do this thing. I'm playing ironman using a dev build. They tell you not to do this and it's almost certainly a bad idea.

Case in point: the Chosen Warlock has a move called "Teleport Ally". This pretty much does what it says on the tin, it teleports a mook behind your lines. You used to say "Thank you Warlock" whenever this happened because you could generally just murder the now conveniently placed guy before he got a chance to act. That's no good. So a LWOTC dev made it so this move grants an immediate action to the teleported guy. That made it pretty close to a guaranteed crit on one of your soldiers regardless of their positioning, which is pretty strong, but okay it's a Chosen maybe he deserves some bullshit like that.

Then in the NEXT patch, for unrelated reasons, he switched up the turn order so the Chosen goes before normal enemies. Now what happens is the mook gets teleported behind you and shoots TWICE. This is more or less a guaranteed dead soldier. Some people confronted him on the discord about this happening in their Ironman saves, and what the hell, man?

Dev: "oopsies :)"

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:16 pm

long war over the counter
u gotta skate

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:38 pm

If your war lasts longer than 12 months, call your doctor.

Juri
We're Knights of the Round Table
We attack each turn if able
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:01 pm

pterrus wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:38 pm I actually have a really good campaign going in LWOTC right now. Twelfth earth might finally be the earth to do this thing. I'm playing ironman using a dev build. They tell you not to do this and it's almost certainly a bad idea.

Case in point: the Chosen Warlock has a move called "Teleport Ally". This pretty much does what it says on the tin, it teleports a mook behind your lines. You used to say "Thank you Warlock" whenever this happened because you could generally just murder the now conveniently placed guy before he got a chance to act. That's no good. So a LWOTC dev made it so this move grants an immediate action to the teleported guy. That made it pretty close to a guaranteed crit on one of your soldiers regardless of their positioning, which is pretty strong, but okay it's a Chosen maybe he deserves some bullshit like that.

Then in the NEXT patch, for unrelated reasons, he switched up the turn order so the Chosen goes before normal enemies. Now what happens is the mook gets teleported behind you and shoots TWICE. This is more or less a guaranteed dead soldier. Some people confronted him on the discord about this happening in their Ironman saves, and what the hell, man?

Dev: "oopsies :)"
lol

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:02 pm

vanilla chosen warlock was such an epic freeroll

politely putting himself into a stasis dome so your soldiers can ignore his summons, walk up to him and unload point blank on his face with shotguns

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:02 pm

i also hit the 15% instakill on him with my first shot in the final mission of my vanilla wotc campaign

just completely respectless

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:05 pm

I have never played vanilla so I have never used the fabled repeaters!

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:05 pm

when i see a game with a 5 letter or more acronym i just assume it's some starwars game

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:07 pm

Do they still call it CODBLOPS

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:07 pm

everything can be a star wars game if you use the power of your imagination

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:10 pm

XCOM is literally a star war, it just happens to be our star.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:42 pm

it's not literally a war, though, as no declaration of war was approved by congress

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:46 pm

Ashenai wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:07 pm everything can be a star wars game if you use the power of your imagination
Since the various peoples of Star Wars must have had primitive times, a bunch of cavemen throwing rocks at one another could be a Star Wars movie
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:48 pm

pterrus wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:10 pm XCOM is literally a star war, it just happens to be our star.
i might have to adjust my acronym theory down to 4 letters then

3 letters is probably a medieval fantasy setting

Monty
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by Monty » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:55 pm

Doug wrote:
Ashenai wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:07 pm everything can be a star wars game if you use the power of your imagination
Since the various peoples of Star Wars must have had primitive times, a bunch of cavemen throwing rocks at one another could be a Star Wars movie
A long, long, long time ago, in a galaxy far away
The world needs more Bohemian Ear-Spoons

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:04 pm

rofl
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

KingRamz
We are not amused.
Cardboard Robot

Post by KingRamz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:05 pm

pterrus wrote:XCOM is literally a star war, it just happens to be our star.
What you're saying is, this game has Sol

catonkeyboard
Attaboy! You finished my labyrinth and I'm proud of you!
Let's party like it's 1899

Post by catonkeyboard » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:10 am

KingRamz wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:05 pm
pterrus wrote:XCOM is literally a star war, it just happens to be our star.
What you're saying is, this game has Sol
The publisher wasn't willing to shell out for Corona, so it is what it is.
27/50 states of cats on keyboards
|X,,,,X,,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,,,,X,,X,X,X,X,X,,,,X,,X,,X,,,X,,X,X,X,,X,,X,X,,,,,X,|