Yeah!

Shitposting, Video Games, Manga, and Anime

Moderator: Wumpy

Wumpy
uuuuuuuuuUUUUUU
Cardboard Robot

Re: It's Videogames

Post by Wumpy » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:41 pm

i wanna say they've done another big update since that dropped but i have also never played it

s. goblin
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by s. goblin » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:48 pm

pterrus wrote:This video actually kind of makes me want to play No Man's Sky, I heard it was engoodened but did not grasp the magnitude. Has anyone played it?
i think if you got it on sale for like forty bucks or whatever, which it apparently is on humble bundle, but i can't remember if that service is good or not anymore, it'd probably be impossible for you to not get that money's worth

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/nomanssky/info/

edit - and it's good to support good things and good studios

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:55 pm

s. goblin wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:48 pm
pterrus wrote:This video actually kind of makes me want to play No Man's Sky, I heard it was engoodened but did not grasp the magnitude. Has anyone played it?
i think if you got it on sale for like forty bucks or whatever, which it apparently is on humble bundle, but i can't remember if that service is good or not anymore, it'd probably be impossible for you to not get that money's worth

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/nomanssky/info/

edit - and it's good to support good things and good studios
Humble Bundle is now a bunch of different things, some of which are good and some of which aren't

Their flagship product is Humble Choice, which is a $12 monthly bundle that sometimes gets you some really good deals (and sometimes doesn't). They really want people to keep it as a monthly subscription, but I don't use it like that, I just look at it every month to see if it's worth it, and I cancel every time it's not. (This is also optimal because every time I "cancel" I keep getting offers to "come back" with discounts for the next month or two).

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:11 am

the link on isthereanydeal is to the humble store, which is just a storefront for selling steam keys. sometimes they have sales

I played a bit of it when it was on gamepass. it grabbed me for a bit but it didn’t take long to get bored, there’s something off about the worlds that makes them not particularly excited to either explore or build in them. I would not say I got $40 worth of value out of it. maybe I will try it again sometime

it kind of feels like there are these planets, and then there are ruins or space stations or whatever, and the latter have been placed on the former but are otherwise totally disconnected from them. why are these buildings here? well this is the designated exploration point

which from what I’ve heard about the release version of the game probably more or less matches how the game was developed. it just doesn’t feel like a real place you’re exploring (when you’re just dealing with the total wilderness it does, but that can only remain interesting for so long)

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:09 pm

i got ps plus extra some months ago, and have basically been sprinting through the catalogue:

games that exceeded expectations

spiderman was way more fun than i expected. its basically an assassins creed game with cooler combat, more interesting missions, and webslinging around just feels really great. its pretty easy, but difficult enough that i had to retry things every once in a while. i could go with a few less maryjane/miles morales stealth sequences, though. my kids loved watching it--my daughter still comments that its her favorite game to watch me play.

ghost of tsumshima is probably the best assassins creed game ive played. i enjoyed it enough to finish it. it feels a bit simple, but has fun combat, a good story, and just a spot on vibe. i did not enjoy it enough to play through the dlc content, though, after playing through the main story and doing a lot of side content.

children of morta is probably the most beautiful pixel aesthetic game ive ever played. i think the pacing is not the best. the first boss held me up way longer than any of the other ones--i probably bashed my head against it around 10 times, while all the other bosses took me three tries at most. good vibe. decent story. fun game play. there are 7 (?) unique characters that all play very differently. a bit short, but i was probably ready to be done with it after beating it.

i know theres a couple more, but im blanking a bit right now.
with love, your good friend, seathesee

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:23 pm

games i wanted to like, or thought i would like, but didn't

there is so much i liked about death stranding, but i ultimately decided to put it down 3-4 hours in. i was really grabbed by the 20-30 minute opening cinematics. the world is awesome. the vibes are creepy in a good way. the story is intriguing. i wanted to know more about the characters. i liked the concept of working your way across a...post-whateverhappenedtoit version of the united states. the game play just was not it for me. i felt like i was playing it at a weird time, given how much of the world is built by other players. i dont watch playthroughs ever, but this would be at the top of my list if i did.

i was really really disappointed with the last of us remastered. im not a huge horror game fan to begin with. the survival and crafting elements felt really basic. the controls felt awkward. it felt like a pretty punishing stealth game. im not that into stealth games. the story seemed alright, but kind of done to death (maybe it wasnt upon original release). it gets talked up so much, but it just wasnt my jam. i put it down shortly after the capitol building.

im not sure ive felt like i wasted my time more than i did with final fantasy xv. i really hated the real time combat, and was just so fed up with it by the end of the game. the quest system felt terrible. there was just so much running around. the characters were alright i guess. the story was okish but really disjointed. the visuals were great. it just seemed sort of half baked in certain ways and not well thought out. did i mention the combat is really unfun? im annoyed with myself i went as far as i did, playing most of the game. i thought i could drag myself through it, just to say i finished it, but it just wasnt worth it.

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:13 pm

Final Fantasy XV was the first non-MMO FF game I didn't even try, at least not yet anyway

I mean of the regular numbered ones, there's probably a bunch of side games I haven't even heard of. And I was never into the turn-based board game ones
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:46 pm

i avoided it for a while because it looked sort of...lame. its actually less bad on the cringey bro party front than i expected, and thats sort of what kept me going--it exceeded my very low expectations.

ive not played most of the final fantasy games. the two i played through were X, which i still have very fond memories of, and which has maybe the coolest skill tree system in any game ive ever played, and tactics. i actually prefer strategy rpgs to standard turn based jrpg combat or whatever-the-fuck-real-time-nonsense-that-tries-to-retain-the-feel-of-turnbased-combat ffxv had. liked both of those quite a bit.

im planning on playing through another soon, looking mostly at ix or xii, leaning towards xii. you have a recommendation?

i downloaded dragon quest xi last night. ive never played a dq game. reading reviews and reddit posts, im a little skeptical, but im going to give it a shot. im pretty sure my daughter will enjoy watching, at least.

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:18 pm

seathesee wrote:ghost of tsumshima is probably the best assassins creed game ive played. i enjoyed it enough to finish it. it feels a bit simple, but has fun combat, a good story, and just a spot on vibe. i did not enjoy it enough to play through the dlc content, though, after playing through the main story and doing a lot of side content.
I thought ghost of tsushima was good at the start but like all open world games, I basically finished the first zone and everything started feeling a bit repetitive, then I got to the second zone and realized I wasn't even half done and had to drop it. The mechanics itself were fine it's just that those types of games that don't work well with the "gotta do everything" mentality.

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:21 pm

seathesee wrote:im planning on playing through another soon, looking mostly at ix or xii, leaning towards xii. you have a recommendation?
well if you like dq11 then I would suggest 9, if you don't like it then 12

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:27 pm

haplo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:18 pm
seathesee wrote:ghost of tsumshima is probably the best assassins creed game ive played. i enjoyed it enough to finish it. it feels a bit simple, but has fun combat, a good story, and just a spot on vibe. i did not enjoy it enough to play through the dlc content, though, after playing through the main story and doing a lot of side content.
I thought ghost of tsushima was good at the start but like all open world games, I basically finished the first zone and everything started feeling a bit repetitive, then I got to the second zone and realized I wasn't even half done and had to drop it. The mechanics itself were fine it's just that those types of games that don't work well with the "gotta do everything" mentality.
i dont disagree. they are repetitive (but so are a lot of games, really). i tend to listen to podcasts and/or talk with my kids while playing them, only muting my podcast (or child) when story bits come on.

i felt like ghost of tsushima did a really good job of capturing the aesthetic and feel of the source material, not only through the open world and characters, but also through the perfect level of simplicity in the ui, types of side quests/challenges, and questline structure. it really captured a kurosawa-esque aesthetic to my mind.

it impressed me in a best of class sort of way. it didnt reinvent the wheel. its a solid 8.5/10 for me. id give the last three assassins creed games somewhere between 6.5-7.5/10.

s. goblin
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by s. goblin » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:42 pm

seathesee wrote:im planning on playing through another soon, looking mostly at ix or xii, leaning towards xii. you have a recommendation?
if tactics is your favourite slash one of the only final fantasy games you've played then twelve is probably the way to go. nine is more of like uh, i played seven and eight and now i would really appreciate a more traditional, fantasy version of final fantasy. a sort of last hooray for the guy who made it too, with some sentiment there, but hey we're in the future now, you could later play blue dragon or lost odyssey (or that new rpg on the fucking ipad)

the cool thing about twelve is that while all of the final fantasys mostly take place in these different, disconnected universes -- with some exceptions like FFX-2 obviously being the sequel to ten, which, hey, if ten is your favourite, why not play the sequel? it's even available on steam. and while it's a little bit more heavy on the jpop, the combat and job system is supposed to be great -- 12 actually takes place in Ivalice, what with being created by the Final Fantasy Tactics guy

but, unfortunately, that guy did then end up going totally insane during the process of making the game, to the point of actually getting himself replaced, so whether or not it's the grand story that that guy wanted to tell or not, who knows. but i guess we do already kind of know what with that plucky child getting created and made the protagonist

s. goblin
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by s. goblin » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:45 pm

i guess not focusing on story or production stuff 9 has a really great abilities system where you're pulling stuff off of the items. and every character being a very specific recognizable job type is kind of cool. but if you liked the sphere grid in ten and the flexibility that provided.

twelve's combat system is kind of uh, neat. scratching my head trying to remember if there's judges in that providing combat laws or if i'm just thinking of tactics 2. there are judges in 12, though.

Skeletor
How'd you know that loving kittens is my one defining trait?
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:59 pm

games i'd like to try, but i've never heard of them

hm. sorrry, nothing's coming to mind
wow, [you]. that all sounds terrible. i hope it gets better for you

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:00 pm

I mean if you're going to play Final Fantasy games then at some point you're going to want to play VII

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:04 pm

s. goblin wrote:with some exceptions like FFX-2 obviously being the sequel to ten, which, hey, if ten is your favourite, why not play the sequel?
I would not recommend 10-2 to anyone except degenerate weebs. I did like it though.

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:15 pm

Doug wrote:I mean if you're going to play Final Fantasy games then at some point you're going to want to play VII
you hit one too many keystrokes before submitting this post

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:24 pm

Khaos wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:15 pm
Doug wrote:I mean if you're going to play Final Fantasy games then at some point you're going to want to play VII
you hit one too many keystrokes before submitting this post
VI is retrogaming but it's a classic

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:24 pm

XIII is both good and bad, it's worth playing if you're way into FF

XII is solid, a little boring at first but it gets good once the skill grid is really developed and you're making custom programs for your dudes

mindwarped
slow me down
Isolationist

Post by mindwarped » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:44 pm

Headers which are underlined so that they look like hyperlinks, but it's just bbcode markup

this isn't a list item, it's just a line of unrelated text

Wumpy
uuuuuuuuuUUUUUU
Cardboard Robot

Post by Wumpy » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:27 am

mindwarped wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:44 pm Headers which are underlined so that they look like hyperlinks, but it's just bbcode markup

this isn't a list item, it's just a line of unrelated text

KingRamz
We are not amused.
Cardboard Robot

Post by KingRamz » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:17 pm

12 is the only non-MMO mainline FF that I've started and not finished. Having to program my party just didn't do it for me. Haven't played 13 and TBH I should not have finished 15; it wasn't worth it

KingRamz
We are not amused.
Cardboard Robot

Post by KingRamz » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:18 pm

FF7 remake should be in the conversation here. They learned lots of lessons from XV's mistakes

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:10 pm

it should be in the conversation of games that are only 25% complete

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:43 pm

They should have called it FFVII R, and then the next one FFVII E, and the next one FFVII M, and eventually it would spell REMAKE

Wumpy
uuuuuuuuuUUUUUU
Cardboard Robot

Post by Wumpy » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:15 pm

so the last one would be FFVII E 2 or what

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:18 pm

Good idea

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:58 pm

KingRamz wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:17 pm 12 is the only non-MMO mainline FF that I've started and not finished. Having to program my party just didn't do it for me.
See, you didn't get past the boring at first part

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:32 pm

s. goblin wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:42 pm like FFX-2 obviously being the sequel to ten, which, hey, if ten is your favourite, why not play the sequel? it's even available on steam. and while it's a little bit more heavy on the jpop, the combat and job system is supposed to be great
i appreciate the break down.

i think x-2 is not include in the ps plus extra subscription--at least i didnt notice it. i was turned off at the time it came out by the things i read about it, but ive become more open minded to those sorts of things in the 20 or whatever years since. im sure my daughter would love it. good to know the systems are similar to x.

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:33 pm

KingRamz wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:18 pm FF7 remake should be in the conversation here. They learned lots of lessons from XV's mistakes
i heard the ff xii remake combat is the same system as xv's. thats really the only reason i havent considered picking it up. i really really really did not like ff xv's combat system. am i wrong in thinking its the same? what improved?