It's Video Game News

Shitposting, Video Games, Manga, and Anime

Moderator: Wumpy

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Re: It's Video Game News

Post by haplo » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:53 pm

unfortunately now we're seeing that while there are some legitimately guilty people, anyone who ever associated with these people in any way are getting cancelled too with no evidence other than association
which is exactly what you expect from twitter, but still sad to see

Shiny Days
...but history refused to change

Post by Shiny Days » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:01 pm

well wasnt it a little too hard to ruin someone's career and entire life before? like you might actually have to face no consequence for just making shit up about people which totally hasn't happened twice in the last handful of months

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:03 pm

haplo wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:53 pm unfortunately now we're seeing that while there are some legitimately guilty people, anyone who ever associated with these people in any way are getting cancelled too with no evidence other than association
Getting canceled how

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:10 pm

Yoss wrote:
haplo wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:53 pm unfortunately now we're seeing that while there are some legitimately guilty people, anyone who ever associated with these people in any way are getting cancelled too with no evidence other than association
Getting canceled how
I dunno exactly yet, I've seen some guy at Riot who wrote an apology letter because he was in a photo in the "Cosby Suite" 8 years ago. Did he do anything? Maybe. There's a woman at Blizzard who's in the protests now getting ganged up on because she wrote a tweet joking about Cosby Suite a long time ago. I mean, it sounds like some dude found this Cosby picture and brought it around with him and everyone thought it was funny in the same way that a picture of Uncle Phil or Al Bundy would be, and people didn't know this main dude was going around sexually harassing employees and trying to take them back there. Some people certainly knew, but surely not everyone.
None of that really matters though, because if you knew the Cosby Suite existed and didn't quit your job in protest 8 years ago, you're worse than hitler.

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:36 am

haplo wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:10 pm
Yoss wrote:
Getting canceled how
I dunno exactly yet, I've seen some guy at Riot who wrote an apology letter because he was in a photo in the "Cosby Suite" 8 years ago. Did he do anything? Maybe. There's a woman at Blizzard who's in the protests now getting ganged up on because she wrote a tweet joking about Cosby Suite a long time ago. I mean, it sounds like some dude found this Cosby picture and brought it around with him and everyone thought it was funny in the same way that a picture of Uncle Phil or Al Bundy would be, and people didn't know this main dude was going around sexually harassing employees and trying to take them back there. Some people certainly knew, but surely not everyone.
None of that really matters though, because if you knew the Cosby Suite existed and didn't quit your job in protest 8 years ago, you're worse than hitler.
You are just repeating dumb shit morons spew on Twitter

So, I’m assuming there aren’t actually any consequences other than people being dicks online? What are you so mad about? Like, if someone loses their job and can’t get another one because of some guilt by association crap, that’s bullshit. Is that the case?

the_zoomies
Attaboy! You finished my labyrinth and I'm proud of you!
Let's party like it's 1899

Post by the_zoomies » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:41 am

Yoss wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:36 am
haplo wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:10 pm
Yoss wrote:
Getting canceled how

So, I’m assuming there aren’t actually any consequences other than people being dicks online? What are you so mad about? Like, if someone loses their job and can’t get another one because of some guilt by association crap, that’s bullshit. Is that the case?
Do you need bespoke dumb shit, because I'm RIGHT HERE

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:43 am

they're getting sued by the government of california, but idk if i'd really call getting sued for workplace harrassment 'cancel culture'

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:46 am

I guess I should have said people are trying to cancel them, not that they have been cancelled
I thought this was obvious and implied because I mentioned twitter, but I guess not

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:46 am

also, people getting harassed on twitter is a consequence even if they don't lose their job. people can certainly treat you different even if there are no "tangible" consequences like a lost job

the_zoomies
Attaboy! You finished my labyrinth and I'm proud of you!
Let's party like it's 1899

Post by the_zoomies » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:01 am

haplo wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:46 am also, people getting harassed on twitter is a consequence even if they don't lose their job. people can certainly treat you different even if there are no "tangible" consequences like a lost job
Strong agree

Ask that voice actor if things are going well.

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:24 am

Rylinks wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:43 am

they're getting sued by the government of california, but idk if i'd really call getting sued for workplace harrassment 'cancel culture'
Wait is it Blizzard getting “canceled” or individual (theoretically) innocent people

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:25 am

haplo wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:46 am I guess I should have said people are trying to cancel them, not that they have been cancelled
I thought this was obvious and implied because I mentioned twitter, but I guess not
You said they “are getting canceled” which implies that it’s happening

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:27 am

haplo wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:46 am also, people getting harassed on twitter is a consequence even if they don't lose their job. people can certainly treat you different even if there are no "tangible" consequences like a lost job
People being harassed sucks but like that’s the internet, man. I genuinely don’t understand why people are so upset about being people shitty on the internet when that’s always been the defining denominator plus this new upset is hand in hand with buzz words like cancel culture

People are just shitty trolls, especially on Twitter, and the rest imo is noise/hysterics

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:31 am

Yoss wrote:Wait is it Blizzard getting “canceled” or individual (theoretically) innocent people
blizzard as a whole is getting boned, but there were some individual (not innocent) people named in the lawsuit

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:35 am

haplo wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:31 am
Yoss wrote:Wait is it Blizzard getting “canceled” or individual (theoretically) innocent people
blizzard as a whole is getting boned, but there were some individual people named in the lawsuit
I mean, some level of guilt by association is fair, right? People who worked with Harvey Weinstein maybe should have known, yeah? But, should that person be harassed and barred from ever having another job? Probably not.

I don’t know, it’s just weird to take Twitter so seriously. That’s not real life. 90%+ of people probably don’t even know a thing about this.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:47 am

often it is not "just twitter". often it those people on twitter trying to get their target fired and/or professionally blackballed
e.g.
https://quillette.com/2021/01/27/beatin ... elligence/
https://quillette.com/2020/07/30/think- ... otherwise/
in this specific instance the employer is part of what's going on, so idk
u gotta skate

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:57 am

I’m sorry but you can’t expect me to take seriously

Think cancel culture doesn’t exist? My anecdotal “lived experience” says fuck you

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:58 am

“Lived experience” in scare quotes :rofl:

Shiny Days

Post by Shiny Days » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:00 am

the_zoomies wrote:
Strong agree

Ask that voice actor if things are going well.
and that writer! the voice actor is still gutted from world of warcraft, speaking of blizzard

Wumpy
uuuuuuuuuUUUUUU
Cardboard Robot

Post by Wumpy » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:57 am

Yoss wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:27 am I genuinely don’t understand why people are so upset about being people shitty on the internet

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:10 am

Crunchums wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:47 am often it is not "just twitter". often it those people on twitter trying to get their target fired and/or professionally blackballed
e.g.
https://quillette.com/2021/01/27/beatin ... elligence/
https://quillette.com/2020/07/30/think- ... otherwise/
in this specific instance the employer is part of what's going on, so idk
Those articles are interesting!

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:15 am

Yoss wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:58 am “Lived experience” in scare quotes :rofl:
It would have been better to say so-called lived experience, and then not used quotes
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:09 pm

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:54 pm

Oh em gee

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:30 pm

Next XCOM will be Marvel XCOM. I kind of like the pseudo realism of the XCOM games and I'm not big fan of Marvel, so I'm kind of skeptical of supernatural Marvel XCOM. But I will reserve judgment.

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:33 pm

the anime knockoff xcom game was cool, so i'm optimistic about using the system for sumpernatural abilities

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:40 pm

Have any of you been hearing about or reading about this thing with hackers, Titanfall, Apex Legends, and so on

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:56 pm

Rylinks wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:33 pm the anime knockoff xcom game was cool, so i'm optimistic about using the system for sumpernatural abilities
XCOM already had psi operatives which are functionally magic users, but they were special and hard to train so any given squad had one or maybe 2, with everyone else using regular weapons. I feel like if your whole team was magical it would have a much different texture. Less tacticool.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:17 pm

Freedom Force was great, so it can be done well

It won't be, but it CAN be

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:20 pm

pterrus wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:56 pm
Rylinks wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:33 pm the anime knockoff xcom game was cool, so i'm optimistic about using the system for sumpernatural abilities
XCOM already had psi operatives which are functionally magic users, but they were special and hard to train so any given squad had one or maybe 2, with everyone else using regular weapons. I feel like if your whole team was magical it would have a much different texture. Less tacticool.
it absolutely has a very different texture when one character can defeate a dozen enemies but it's not a bad system