It's Video Game News

Shitposting, Video Games, Manga, and Anime

Moderator: Wumpy

the_zoomies
Attaboy! You finished my labyrinth and I'm proud of you!
Let's party like it's 1899

Re: It's Video Game News

Post by the_zoomies » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:01 am

I can only squash monsters/stay hard for so long

KingRamz
We are not amused.
Cardboard Robot

Post by KingRamz » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:18 pm

I finished Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana for Switch and really enjoyed it. Good music, fun combat and an interesting story. If you like ARPGs I'd recommend it.

Currently playing Warioware: Touched, P5 Strikers and Fire Emblem: Three Houses

KingRamz
We are not amused.
Cardboard Robot

Post by KingRamz » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:35 pm

Wait, that should probably go in the other video game thread

Blissful
"I don’t believe that we will lose life or have to discard cards ourselves."
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:11 pm

anything happening to kingramz is news eye want to hear about

Shiny Days
...but history refused to change

Post by Shiny Days » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:56 pm

Looks like noted console company Valve is looking to take on the Nintendo Switch this Christmas with their Valve Portable PC, the Switchteamdeck:

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:58 pm

make sure to get one in the next 6 months before they're discontinued

Shiny Days

Post by Shiny Days » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:07 pm

haplo wrote:make sure to get one in the next 6 months before they're discontinued
I honestly couldn't even tell if this was real or not. Like I'm looking at the slick website thinking this is a lot of work for somebody to fake, or somebody to try to pretend to be Valve to sell a like thing, but I guess this all makes sense ... sort of. Like the device itself is def an iteration on the Steam Controller and a way past better one. The two trackpads are actually kinda neat and does solve playing PC games, like the controller did have some good ideas. The buttons then seem very weirdly, uncomfortably positioned, like the controller itself on the whole legitimately does not look that comfortable, but watching a guy playing Doom on the thing, apparently actually playing Doom, with just the analog stick and the trackpad does look like theyre playing pretty seamlessly, which makes me think the buttons are then there like the dpad and having them be somewhere lame is actually a smart idea

And then, uh, speaking of smart ideas, I mean there doesn't really exist an alternative to this does there? Cellphones, I guess? Uh, tablets with a bluetooth controller hooked to them which would be kinda janky / wouldnt really be too comfortable as a portable game thing? And then can you just play steam games alright with controller support on a tablet? I don't actually know

edit - the nvidia shield or whatever other streaming thing i guess could count but streaming is lame

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:10 pm

Shiny Days

Post by Shiny Days » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:12 pm

what if we got the team behind mad catz controllers and the ngage to make a portable pc

like the steam thing at least looks pretty fucking slick, comfortable or not. it is just a slab, but it's a nice looking slab

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:15 pm

Shiny Days wrote:
what if we got the team behind mad catz controllers and the ngage to make a portable pc

like the steam thing at least looks pretty fucking slick, comfortable or not. it is just a slab, but it's a nice looking slab
I think you were looking at the screenshots of the Grip variant of the device which has the weird "coating" around the outside. The actual device doesn't look any worse than the Steam one IMO Image

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:17 pm

I guess it's a little bulky here but the Steam one is pretty huge too Image

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:46 pm

haplo wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:58 pm make sure to get one in the next 6 months before they're discontinued

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:42 pm

i'm still using my $20 steam link. it's nice!

Shiny Days

Post by Shiny Days » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:14 pm

that blizzard lawsuit sure is interesting

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:20 pm

Shiny Days wrote:that blizzard lawsuit sure is interesting
I dunno if this is related but I've seen "I'm leaving blizzard after 10 years and its been great blah blah" posts on LinkedIn like every single week which is way above the average for what I see from other companies (based on my connections with random recruiters/employees at various companies).

Shiny Days

Post by Shiny Days » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:34 am

haplo wrote:I dunno if this is related but I've seen "I'm leaving blizzard after 10 years and its been great blah blah" posts on LinkedIn like every single week which is way above the average for what I see from other companies (based on my connections with random recruiters/employees at various companies).
oh yeah i guess if you haven't been paying attention to this stuff blizzard has been hemorrhaging employees for a little while now, and not even just, like, the little guys. i wonder if someone actually made a list of this. i remember kaplan left, which is kind of surprising, but overwatch has fucking cratered, so, really. the guy mentioned in the uh harassment suit left real fucking quietly some time ago. and then there's been a lot of like, amazing ten years, amazing six years kinda posts on twitter. what a journey it was to be the lead systems designer or something

it kind of sort of made sense, makes sense at the time. blizzard is all but totally destroyed. wow is the worst it's ever been and somehow even worse than the last expansion that was the worst wow had ever been. i don't think tbc was much of a hit? is hots still a thing? hearthstone? but i guess there's, uh, no soul 2 to look forward to, and, uh, ... diablo 4? which'll probably make them a good chunk of change. diablo 3 is, like, top ten best selling game of all time? it was tied with skyrim last i saw it. and so, you know, that'll look good on paper, diablo immortal too because china, but whether or not a person would actually want to work on that, or any one of the many upcoming cellphone versions of our favourite ips.

and then that all doubly makes sense / made sense because guys like morhaime went and just founded their own studios which are probably a little bit more let's actually make like a game or whatever, so you'd just assume that these guys were all going to go work for / with their former employees and stuff. and then who knows. maybe theyre not even really terrible at making games and doing anything creative, really able only to cling onto already existing and well enjoyed ips, at least before they got there.

i guess it was just this though

edit - and oh man the, like, actual wow production issues. yikes.

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:05 pm

starcraft 2 is still a thing, but only just and only because they stopped doing anything with it

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:06 pm

i havent played hots in ages, man that game was cool

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:06 pm

Shiny Days wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:34 amdiablo 3 is, like, top ten best selling game of all time? it was tied with skyrim last i saw it.
whoa wtf really? i didnt think it was THAT big

the_zoomies
Attaboy! You finished my labyrinth and I'm proud of you!
Let's party like it's 1899

Post by the_zoomies » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:18 pm

I just learned that Among Us was made by the Henry Stickmen Devs.

It's news to me

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:49 am

Shiny Days wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:34 am
haplo wrote:I dunno if this is related but I've seen "I'm leaving blizzard after 10 years and its been great blah blah" posts on LinkedIn like every single week which is way above the average for what I see from other companies (based on my connections with random recruiters/employees at various companies).
oh yeah i guess if you haven't been paying attention to this stuff blizzard has been hemorrhaging employees for a little while now, and not even just, like, the little guys. i wonder if someone actually made a list of this. i remember kaplan left, which is kind of surprising, but overwatch has fucking cratered, so, really. the guy mentioned in the uh harassment suit left real fucking quietly some time ago. and then there's been a lot of like, amazing ten years, amazing six years kinda posts on twitter. what a journey it was to be the lead systems designer or something

it kind of sort of made sense, makes sense at the time. blizzard is all but totally destroyed. wow is the worst it's ever been and somehow even worse than the last expansion that was the worst wow had ever been. i don't think tbc was much of a hit? is hots still a thing? hearthstone? but i guess there's, uh, no soul 2 to look forward to, and, uh, ... diablo 4? which'll probably make them a good chunk of change. diablo 3 is, like, top ten best selling game of all time? it was tied with skyrim last i saw it. and so, you know, that'll look good on paper, diablo immortal too because china, but whether or not a person would actually want to work on that, or any one of the many upcoming cellphone versions of our favourite ips.

and then that all doubly makes sense / made sense because guys like morhaime went and just founded their own studios which are probably a little bit more let's actually make like a game or whatever, so you'd just assume that these guys were all going to go work for / with their former employees and stuff. and then who knows. maybe theyre not even really terrible at making games and doing anything creative, really able only to cling onto already existing and well enjoyed ips, at least before they got there.

Asmongold started playing final fantasy; wow is officially dead
"Ireland’s Ireland and Scotland’s Scotland anyone who thinks different is a cunt" - Liam Gallagher

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:17 am

people have been saying wow is dead for 10 years
ffxi is still profitable

Shiny Days

Post by Shiny Days » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:57 pm

Blissful wrote:whoa wtf really? i didnt think it was THAT big
19th place, i guess. i was a little bit off. but something about, like, grand theft auto five, which has sold one hundred and forty five million copies, and tetris even being in the same list seems a bit off or something, somehow. but but i guess diablo is only at what its at because its been out for a while also. it is neat that it's tied with skyrim and uh human fall flat? what the fuck is that

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:50 am

Faceless wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:49 am
Shiny Days wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:34 am

Asmongold started playing final fantasy; wow is officially dead
wow was officially dead the day Trial of the Crusader released

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:12 pm

Shiny Days wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:57 pm and uh human fall flat? what the fuck is that
it's a big meme game in china apparently

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:18 pm

omg are you making a lie flat joke
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:22 pm

I was not, unless that's a really good joke, in which case maybe I was

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:25 pm

It was brilliant
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:29 pm

thanks

(I had to google it, kinda cool. I approve of lying flat, it's very comfortable)

Shiny Days

Post by Shiny Days » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:52 pm

The blizzard story has actually taken somewhat of a hilarious turn. People found tweets from both the bad guy and other people talking about, getting excited about, posing for pictures in the "Cosby suite," which is def a bad thing to call your hotel room considering what we know today, but, problematically, for our narrative at least, none of this took place today. In fact, none of this took place in a time after or around the allegations against Cosby. Well, I say problematically but this isn't actually going to stop anybody. Too much of a coincidence! And we need these people to get fired. For, uh, hanging out in a hotel room together at conventions.

And, worse, somewhat too conveniently, in that it makes a lot of sense, and that the suit name was explained before these allegations against blizzard came out, so it isn't anybody trying to defend themselves now, it turns out the name comes from Cosby's bad sweaters, like, their conference room was shitty and ugly and similar to a Cosby sweater and then so were their hotel rooms way back when. So you'd have fun with it, right? Like: Yeah guys I'm in the cobsy suit, and so the name just kinda stuck. But who knows, right?