Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Re: It's Video Game News

Post by Ashenai » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:48 am

seathesee wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:34 am
Ashenai wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:29 am
seathesee wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:28 am
Ashenai wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:20 am weekly, from what I read
i read two articles about daily caps. regardless, it sounds a lot like a stamina system which are in pretty much every gacha.
i believed you. im not sure daily or weekly is a huge distinction. weekly is certainly more predatory to addicts.
It also apparently has additional hidden caps where all the non-paid content just stops giving rewards or severely decreases drop rates but doesn't tell you about it

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:51 am

riichi mahjong's a fun game! when you see buttons that say 'chii' and 'pon' and 'kan' it is a good idea to start by clicking them 0% of the time and learning when they're good to press

when the buttons say 'tsumo' or 'ron' you should click those buttons; those words mean you win the hand

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:52 am

I played a VN once that made me play mahjongg, I was supposedly some powerful mahjongg tutor or something

needless to say I experienced some ludonarrative dissonance

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:17 am

Ashenai wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:48 am

It also apparently has additional hidden caps where all the non-paid content just stops giving rewards or severely decreases drop rates but doesn't tell you about it
that’s one of the articles i read! those are daily caps.
with love, your good friend, seathesee

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:19 am

Rylinks wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:51 am riichi mahjong's a fun game! when you see buttons that say 'chii' and 'pon' and 'kan' it is a good idea to start by clicking them 0% of the time and learning when they're good to press
well shit. good to know.

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:07 am

I don't understand why mobile games are such unbelievable trash. Does anyone know of a good rpg (or jrpg) for mobile that isn't filled with gacha bullshit, isn't a terrible port, and is actually fun? I've played a handful that were pretty decent, but my hit rate is crazy low. Off the top of my head, Ara Fell, Dream Quest, Fantasian. I'd love to find the game I imagine in my head that almost has to be out there somewhere.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:22 am

Yoss wrote:I don't understand why mobile games are such unbelievable trash
it's the universe punishing for using phones to do things that are a much better experience on other devices Image
u gotta skate

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:02 am

If you count dream quest as an rpg there are plenty of fun roguelite deck builders on mobile. Slay the spire was ported over, legends of runeterra has a pretty fun deck builder roguelite mode. Arena is on mobile. Meteorfall and night of the full moon are alright. I’ve heard good things about a handful of others.

A lot of classic Jrpgs have been ported to mobile.

Mtglitch.com/forums is on mobile and has an rpg mode.

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:09 am

I've never played any mobile rpgs but apparently battlechasers: nightwar, grimrock, the quest, and monster hunter stories all have mobile ports. They were all good on pc.

Blissful
"I don’t believe that we will lose life or have to discard cards ourselves."
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:21 am

Rylinks wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:51 am riichi mahjong's a fun game! when you see buttons that say 'chii' and 'pon' and 'kan' it is a good idea to start by clicking them 0% of the time and learning when they're good to press

when the buttons say 'tsumo' or 'ron' you should click those buttons; those words mean you win the hand
oh nice i can play mahjong now

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:02 am

what a set. what a fucking set!

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:32 pm

It would be ironic if SFV would get really good right at the end of its life cycle

But then much of why that was a good set was that it was Guile vs. Guile. I would almost guarantee that some of the other sets in that tournament were just, push you into the corner and it's over
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:34 pm

It's funny because, like the commentators said, Guile vs. Guile is a total turtling-zoning snoozefest in every other SF

But damn if that set wasn't dynamic as hell, while still being unmistakeably Guile

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:38 pm

Ashenai wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:34 pm It's funny because, like the commentators said, Guile vs. Guile is a total turtling-zoning snoozefest in every other SF

But damn if that set wasn't dynamic as hell, while still being unmistakeably Guile
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:14 pm

seathesee wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:02 am If you count dream quest as an rpg there are plenty of fun roguelite deck builders on mobile. Slay the spire was ported over, legends of runeterra has a pretty fun deck builder roguelite mode. Arena is on mobile. Meteorfall and night of the full moon are alright. I’ve heard good things about a handful of others.

I've played a lot of random deckbuilders and most of them are pretty meh. Pretty sure I've tried all the ones you listed. Not my preferred thing, I'd rather find a turn-based rpg. I've played most of the classics and I'm not a fan of the ports, want something a bit more modern/new.

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:15 pm

haplo wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:09 am I've never played any mobile rpgs but apparently battlechasers: nightwar, grimrock, the quest, and monster hunter stories all have mobile ports. They were all good on pc.
Battlechasers was pretty good! I'll check out those others.

There's an Octopath Traveler semi-sequel releasing on mobile in July??? That's almost exactly what I was looking for, hopefully it isn't some gacha garbage.

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:43 pm

is there a reason you prefer playing on your phone rather than on PC?

i can't fuckin stand phone games

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:59 pm

Khaos wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:43 pm is there a reason you prefer playing on your phone rather than on PC?

i can't fuckin stand phone games
I prefer console/pc by far, I just want *something* to do sometimes when I’m traveling or out of the house.

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:02 pm

ah yes. i remember leaving the house

good times

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:03 pm

I used to play Hearthstone on my phone, worked great. Legends of Runeterra also worked, slightly less great (it's a more fiddly game).

I tried a couple of RPGs as well but I found it hard to get properly immersed. RPGs don't work as a "hey I have 10 minutes let's play a bit" activity for me. RPGs are for when I have hours to kill.

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:12 pm

Ashenai wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:03 pm I used to play Hearthstone on my phone, worked great. Legends of Runeterra also worked, slightly less great (it's a more fiddly game).

I tried a couple of RPGs as well but I found it hard to get properly immersed. RPGs don't work as a "hey I have 10 minutes let's play a bit" activity for me. RPGs are for when I have hours to kill.
I’ve played a TON of hearthstone (fuck hearthstone) and LoR.

I think you’re right, it’s hard to have a 10 minute burst rpg that isn’t designed around loot boxes or bullshit. Ports of classics require too much time/attention imo.

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:21 pm

Ashenai wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:02 am

what a set. what a fucking set!
The craziest thing in this video is that Daigo is 41. What the fuck!

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:31 pm

Yoss wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:14 pm
seathesee wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:02 am If you count dream quest as an rpg there are plenty of fun roguelite deck builders on mobile. Slay the spire was ported over, legends of runeterra has a pretty fun deck builder roguelite mode. Arena is on mobile. Meteorfall and night of the full moon are alright. I’ve heard good things about a handful of others.

I've played a lot of random deckbuilders and most of them are pretty meh. Pretty sure I've tried all the ones you listed. Not my preferred thing, I'd rather find a turn-based rpg. I've played most of the classics and I'm not a fan of the ports, want something a bit more modern/new.
have you tried Slay the Spire?
u gotta skate

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:31 pm

card games are ok on your phone, ill admit

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:38 pm

I used to have a SLASH'EM port that was the shit but it looks like the dev abandoned it and it doesn't work on modern versions of Android. I miss it, that thing ate time like crazy.

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:45 pm

Has anyone tried Shattered Pixel Dungeon?

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:36 pm

Yoss wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:12 pm

I’ve played a TON of hearthstone (fuck hearthstone) and LoR.
have you played LoR since they added the roguelite mode? i think its called path of champions or something like that.

its much more fun then the main game, and the developers realize this and are putting most of their energy into it. its not the best thing in the world, but its kept me entertained on a few longer drives.

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:40 pm

in defense of the gacha bullshit, some of them have great art, decent writing, and enough semi-complex systems to figure out that they are good timewasters if you need something for the bathroom or short work breathers.

you really need to view them more as visual novels and/or interactive art pieces. they are certainly not great gaming experiences.

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:48 pm

I'd just play melvor if I really wanted to do something on a phone

Yoss
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Yoss » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:50 pm

Crunchums wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:31 pm
Yoss wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:14 pm

have you tried Slay the Spire?
lol yes. 157 hours on Steam (some of that was idle), don't really want to start over progression and all that.