warcraft 3

Shitposting, Video Games, Manga, and Anime

Moderator: Wumpy

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

warcraft 3

Post by Crunchums » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:58 am

i never understood this game but recently i've been watching it a lot. i like grubby's stream https://www.twitch.tv/followgrubby
it's pretty crazy because there are so many different items and spells, and i feel like i have no idea what is good
but it's still fun to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MckeEASvnbE
u gotta skate

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Re: warcraft 3

Post by Khaos » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:13 am

i love watchin grubby. dude is so good

i think I have a pretty good understanding of what is good. you pick it up by watching, as long as youre not watching requests

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:24 am

from watching grubby it seems like
blade first most of the time, but sometimes FS. i guess it's matchup/map dependent? seems like FS vs NE usually and sometimes vs HU. I don't understand how maps favor one hero vs. another - something to do with the creeps, but what?
usually TC or SH 2nd
and then he'll usually go for an army that's like some grunts + two different t2 units + eventually 1-2 kodo
i don't really understand how he decides which t2 unit to go for
lightning shield is good with TC, shaman are good vs. water elemental, spirit walker + raider seems like the default?
u gotta skate

catonkeyboard
Attaboy! You finished my labyrinth and I'm proud of you!
Let's party like it's 1899

Post by catonkeyboard » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:57 am

This is our reminder that RTS’ evolved into MMORPGs, not RPGs
27/50 states of cats on keyboards
|X,,,,X,,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,,,,X,,X,X,X,X,X,,,,X,,X,,X,,,X,,X,X,X,,X,,X,X,,,,,X,|

人造
...but history refused to change
...but history refused to change

Post by 人造 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:13 am

catonkeyboard wrote:This is our reminder that RTS’ evolved into MMORPGs, not RPGs
one of the things that i super like about world of warcraft is that they got away with recycled assets in the best way ever: every town is just the rts town, so the inn and blacksmith shop and church and everything look identical everywhere you go, and for every faction (granted different tileset) because that's what that stuff looks like

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:28 am

imo if RTS evolved into anything it's MOBA
dota was literally was a wc3 custom map!
(which was inspired by a BW custom map)
u gotta skate

KingRamz
We are not amused.
Cardboard Robot

Post by KingRamz » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:29 pm

WoW definitely took WC3 and threw it in a blender with Everquest, but I'm not sure that Everquest or Ultima Online had roots in RTSes. You could probably trace those back to MUDs. I remember watching my friend playing Shadow of Yserbius online and thinking it was the most amazing thing ever, back in like 1991.

EDIT: Actually based on what I can find it was probably more like 1994 when I was watching him play, even though Shadow of Yserbius had been out a few years before that.

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:36 pm

i don't see any connection between wow and wc3 besides the look/themeing

wc3 and dota have similarities though, gameplay-wise

KingRamz
We are not amused.
Cardboard Robot

Post by KingRamz » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:41 pm

Khaos wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:36 pm i don't see any connection between wow and wc3 besides the look/themeing

wc3 and dota have similarities though, gameplay-wise
WC3 heroes are the nascent form of WoW PCs, right? In WoW you start out killing creeps near the starter town and gradually gain powers and go on far-ranging missions. Put another way, WC3 first introduced RPG concepts to the Warcraft universe. I would say it introduced hero units, but that's not quite true - they were in the expansion for WC2. IIRC, WC2 vanilla had named units but they weren't distinguishable from any other unit of their type, but in Beyond the Dark Portal the heroes were super-powered versions of the corresponding regular unit. So like Alleria was an Elven Archer with much higher damage and HP, Deathwing was a dragon with higher damage and HP, etc. etc.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:08 pm

wc3 heroes have got to be way closer to moba heroes than to WoW PCs, surely? like in the original dota they literally were, and i think most subsequent MOBAs follow a similar design? six item slots, experience => levelups => choose skills
u gotta skate

KingRamz
We are not amused.
Cardboard Robot

Post by KingRamz » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:25 pm

Crunchums wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:08 pm wc3 heroes have got to be way closer to moba heroes than to WoW PCs, surely? like in the original dota they literally were, and i think most subsequent MOBAs follow a similar design? six item slots, experience => levelups => choose skills
Well sure, I don't disagree with this. The first moba was a WC3 mod, after all - it's a direct lineage. If we stick slavishly to the evolution analogy, the entire moba genre was produced by WC3 budding, whereas WoW was the baby of WC3 and Everquest.